Page 1280 of 1394 FirstFirst ... 280780118012301270127912801281129013301380 ... LastLast
Results 44,766 to 44,800 of 48764

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    I've got my fingers crossed that a couple who have been interested in Arawana for a little while might bite the bullet. They are going to be in Adelaide next week. Fingers crossed for me please that she goes to a new loving owner or two. She saved me, and she deserves a bright future that she can't have with me as her custodian.
    Good luck! Fingers and toes crossed here too.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Beautiful! Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Just shy of 8 hours flying today, and nearly 60 bucket drops at 3400 liters a bucket. Hope it helped.
    Thank you!

From me too! Thanks Brian and good luck Bruce!!

Rick

This boat:

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for...r-ketch/211141

is now on a beach just north of Lakes Entrance, Vic. She was bought here at about Christmas time and the new owner, from Melbourne, and the previous owner, and another guy from here, sailed her to Bateman's Bay in late January. The new owner, and some other people/person were then supposed to be completing the trip to Melbourne from there. But, last Sunday morning or Saturday night, they grounded and it now looks like the boat will be broken up. It's a shame - she was a well-loved boat and the previous owners looked after her very well and did an awful lot of sailing, all over the place. As an older couple, they took her to the GBR every year for about 10 years, as well. Sad to see her end this way. I'll post a couple of pictures of the boat on the beach later.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    This boat:

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for...r-ketch/211141

is now on a beach just north of Lakes Entrance, Vic. She was bought here at about Christmas time and the new owner, from Melbourne, and the previous owner, and another guy from here, sailed her to Bateman's Bay in late January. The new owner, and some other people/person were then supposed to be completing the trip to Melbourne from there. But, last Sunday morning or Saturday night, they grounded and it now looks like the boat will be broken up. It's a shame - she was a well-loved boat and the previous owners looked after her very well and did an awful lot of sailing, all over the place. As an older couple, they took her to the GBR every year for about 10 years, as well. Sad to see her end this way. I'll post a couple of pictures of the boat on the beach later.

Rick
    i was chatting to a guy in the boat yard last week and he has a tactic of goin min 50 mile offshore on his overnight passages. Takes him a bit longer but stays away from the hard stuff if you should fall asleep.

I think 50 miles is really excessive for coastal trips here as we can get pretty good weather information. But 10 - 20 is prudent in my opinion. I don't know yet when this grounding happened but looking at weather maps over the last week, I can't see anything that looks likely to have driven a boat to shore. But, local conditions can, of course, be much heavier than you can see on the charts and, also of course, we don't yet know how far out they were when whatever happened, happened.

I don't know who was actually on the boat yet, either. The previous owner is trying to find out more.

Rick

Looks like one of Alan's stretched Koonyas. One I was teamed with the Maas brothers on (a steelie) was Zeehahn, (in 1986) for Bill Fesq, then boss hog at RSYS.
    Xanthorrea

Damn...

re 10-20 miles his idea was that's a bit busy with shipping so he goes outside that. Fwiw.

Well being an eternal optimist I was hoping the port side ply would be better than the starboard. It seems that hope is not an effective antidote for 45 years of being ply under teak. Now I'm below having a bit of lunch and a lie down, listening to weird cracks and crackles as rotten ply which has never seen the sun reacts to its sudden exposure.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

A good case for bilge keels! Sad, nice looking boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Geftb View Post
    Damn...

re 10-20 miles his idea was that's a bit busy with shipping so he goes outside that. Fwiw.
    I don't blame him at all! It's just that by the time you're out 50 miles, it's time to come in again, sort of thing ....

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    A good case for bilge keels! Sad, nice looking boat.

Not quite every sailor's worst nightmare but close ..... Very nice boat and it'll be a real shame if it is broken up. Apparently the keel is a bit out of shape so it's likely they'll write the boat off, I think.

Rick

Well being an eternal optimist I was hoping the port side ply would be better than the starboard. It seems that hope is not an effective antidote for 45 years of being ply under teak. Now I'm below having a bit of lunch and a lie down, listening to weird cracks and crackles as rotten ply which has never seen the sun reacts to its sudden exposure.

You must be glad now that you decided to replace the whole deck. It would be pretty horrible to have repaired some sections and then find out later that there are whole areas like this remaining.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by purri View Post
    Looks like one of Alan's stretched Koonyas. One I was teamed with the Maas brothers on (a steelie) was Zeehahn, (in 1986) for Bill Fesq, then boss hog at RSYS.

I'm told she's named Shikama. Don't quote me on that, I've no first hand knowledge of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

I don't blame him at all! It's just that by the time you're out 50 miles, it's time to come in again, sort of thing ....

Rick

She wasn't single handed when she got into trouble. 50 nm off that coast and you're well on the way to running into Flinders Island well, not really. But even at 20 nm off, and having got far enough around that Marlo rescue were the go-to help, it's a heck of a long way back to shelter if you can't get in anywhere and the waves can stand up very steep. And when it does stand up you really can't get in anywhere. I can't imagine heaving to anywhere along there when it's rough.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

She wasn't single handed when she got into trouble. 50 nm off that coast and you're well on the way to running into Flinders Island well, not really. But even at 20 nm off, and having got far enough around that Marlo rescue were the go-to help, it's a heck of a long way back to shelter if you can't get in anywhere and the waves can stand up very steep. And when it does stand up you really can't get in anywhere. I can't imagine heaving to anywhere along there when it's rough.

Yes, it's Shikama. I was referring to the guy who goes out 50 miles, not Shikama's owner. I've no idea at all how Shikama landed on the beach, whether they were heading for Lakes Entrance, whatever. Is anyone to blame? No idea.

Rick

Yes, it's Shikama. I was referring to the guy who goes out 50 miles, not Shikama's owner. I've no idea at all how Shikama landed on the beach, whether they were heading for Lakes Entrance, whatever. Is anyone to blame? No idea.

Rick

No idea from me either. There's not always a need for blame of course. We take calculated risks every time we get in a car, let alone cast off a line. There are many variables. In a way the worst outcome is being too risk averse to set off. But someone will have a job of assessing the outcomes and judgements will be made over desks and hotel bars.

Thankfully nobody was lost. It looks like the crew were trying to shelter in whatever lee there was at Sailors Grave at Cape Conran.

Maybe their error was going for shelter in a place named Sailors Grave!

Quote Originally Posted by MattSplatt View Post
    Maybe their error was going for shelter in a place named Sailors Grave!

Has to make you wonder. Although the history of the place is a bit ambiguous about who died there and how.

Cape Conran certainly looks like it throws a handy shelter from a wsw but could be a death trap in a southerly, or worse in a se. I was quite close in the last trip round there. I wanted a good look at the Gabo Island anchorage and the lie of the land of beaches, rocks, reefs etc along that coast, and really wanted to see if Marlo was a possible stop-over these days. It wasn't.

You must be glad now that you decided to replace the whole deck. It would be pretty horrible to have repaired some sections and then find out later that there are whole areas like this remaining.

Rick
    Yes. The good news is that the old ply is good along the cabin side and some distance out, so I can leave that in place and tie into it.

Gettin through it Phil!

To be fair im guessing his more referring to say, a Sydney- Brisbane trip than around the southeast corner.

Even though there's all the new mess in this photo, it's really good to see all that new ply on the starboard side!

Default Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by MattSplatt View Post
    Even though there's all the new mess in this photo, it's really good to see all that new ply on the starboard side!

Yeah Phil, clean up that mess from the stbd side please.

Nice surprise out on the water this arvo. Chris, Ms Chris, their lovely dogs and beautiful boat came by. It was great to meet them all and I look forward to seeing more of them here on our lovely little hideaway! I knew it was Chris as he has 249 tatooed on his forehead.

Rick

Yeah Phil, clean up that mess from the stbd side please.

I should think so! You go to all that trouble to make sure he lays the ply properly and look how he treats it!!

Rick

Has to make you wonder. Although the history of the place is a bit ambiguous about who died there and how.

Cape Conran certainly looks like it throws a handy shelter from a wsw but could be a death trap in a southerly, or worse in a se. I was quite close in the last trip round there. I wanted a good look at the Gabo Island anchorage and the lie of the land of beaches, rocks, reefs etc along that coast, and really wanted to see if Marlo was a possible stop-over these days. It wasn't.

It is Cape Conran. How did you know Bruce? Do you recognise it from your wanderings or do you have intel?

Rick

Intel. I dare not disclose my sources.

Bit of a clean up termorrer. Too hot to work though.

Hopefully a successful salvage. I'd generally be heading away from land in a gale, given a choice.

I wonder if sea sickness played a part in the decision?
    You know that feeling when death seams like a good option anyway.
    Hope they got it back afloat!

Quote Originally Posted by Geftb View Post
    I wonder if sea sickness played a part in the decision?
    You know that feeling when death seams like a good option anyway.
    Hope they got it back afloat!

Looks like they're scrapping it in place