Page 1274 of 1400 FirstFirst ... 274774117412241264127312741275128413241374 ... LastLast
Results 44,556 to 44,590 of 48986

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

An update on the bureaucratic horrors of registering the trailer. I spoke to a pleasant and helpful person in Roads and maritime a couple of days ago who told me a stat dec would be sufficient proof of build. I went to the garage who is handling it today and was told they had received an emphatic email from RMS that statutory declarations are NOT acceptable. A change of rules apparently. The rules are being changed as I try to catch up. I'll try to find someone helpful in RMS tomorrow or a mate in Queennsland is going to buy it from me for $100 , register it in Qld then sell it back to me and I'll transfer the rego to NSW.

This is technically known as a sh!tfight. Bloody rule changing bureaucrats!
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Geftb View Post
    Attachment 25425
    SBR.

Highlight the word you want to link, in your case 'building a William atkin perigee'. Click on the hyper link button in the reply tool bar. (see picture) if you hover over it it says LINK, paste the URL in the box, click OK.

that's it.

Looking great!
    Thanks. I'm going to try to repeat what you've done next time I arc up the proper computer. Just on my ancient ipad right now.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    An update on the bureaucratic horrors of registering the trailer. I spoke to a pleasant and helpful person in Roads and maritime a couple of days ago who told me a stat dec would be sufficient proof of build. I went to the garage who is handling it today and was told they had received an emphatic email from RMS that statutory declarations are NOT acceptable. A change of rules apparently. The rules are being changed as I try to catch up. I'll try to find someone helpful in RMS tomorrow or a mate in Queennsland is going to buy it from me for $100 , register it in Qld then sell it back to me and I'll transfer the rego to NSW.

This is technically known as a sh!tfight. Bloody rule changing bureaucrats!
    Good idea about the mate... even better if you knew someone in the NT. I hear there are still normal people up there.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I do like that.
    Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    He wasn't hove to as he kept bearing away enough to fill the sail but maybe he had the tiller tied off so he could have lunch or a drink? Maybe that's it. Perfect afternoon for a sail here - if I had any brains, I'd be out there too!

Instead of trying to put together a jobs list for the big haulout!! I hate lists - especially jobs lists! In fact, I've become a bit phobic about organisation generally, of late. But I will persevere with this damned list ......

Rick
    Me too. Lists imply deadlines, pressure, expectations. Doing what's on the list rather than what you want to do. Ugh, as the Americans say.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Quote Originally Posted by MattSplatt View Post
    I try to keep my jobs lists very straightforward:

1. start
    2. keep going
    3. repeat as necessary
    4. finish

I am often surprised by how much can be achieved by just doing the 'Next Thing' a few times.

That is exactly my approach - well articulated!

I have these "what should i do now" moments every so often. I tell myself, just do something. As long as it is something that needs to be done, you are moving forward.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    That is exactly my approach - well articulated!

I have these "what should i do now" moments every so often. I tell myself, just do something. As long as it is something that needs to be done, you are moving forward.
    Thank you, (I stole the four item list from somewhere, but I forget the source)

...and yes. I have those moments too often. I would too easily stare at a wall for half a day feeling like crap until I began to learn the habit (still learning) of slapping myself in the face and just getting moving doing the Next Thing, whatever it may be. There's almost always something easy on the list which can be used to get myself moving. Once moving it's so much easier to keep moving.

Rick, my guess based on time of day, the distance out and towing the dink: headsail furled to allow the main and loosely lashed tiller to let the boat sort of sit with some stability while abluting, eating, snoozing to catching up from last night by a solo sailor. After a bit of a refresh you might see the headsail up and some forward progress happen. Otherwise, if it's still there tomorrow call Coast Guard for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Well, we just brought David's boat around from Oyster Cove and there's no sign of the luffing boat, so I'm sure you're right.

Rick

I made an accurate template of the new engine and tried it out today. It seemed to do little re powering the boat but, with some minor mods (to the boat), it fits. More accurate alignment tomorrow and then on to final shaping of the beds.

Rick
    Last edited by RFNK; 10-31-2018 at 12:54 AM.

How did it sound?

Much better than the real thing. But not as good as The Real Thing.

Rick

The template fits really well. I'm going to reinforce the beds with 10mm SS angle iron so I now need to cut down the beds a further 10mm. I'm going to cut a much bigger hatchway between the cabin and engine too. Not for a better fit but for better access for maintenance. I used to have to do any work on the front of the engine (where everything is) through a hole about 100 x 300. Now I have a hatch that's about 200 x 400 but we worked out today that I can enlarge it to about 500 x 400 so I think it'll allow really good access to the whole forward end of the engine, the cockpit drains, engine mounts and the space under the engine, so it's worth doing.

Rick

No structural problems with that Rick?
    Grateful Dead

That was my concern. It's the main bulkhead so cutting a bigger hole in it wasn't something I was keen to do. But, David's a shipwright, we've looked at it pretty carefully, and decided that the remaining bulkhead and bridgedeck constitutes more than enough of a ring frame to ensure that the structural integrity isn't compromised. The new hatchway will still be about 300mm above the engine bay sole, and about the same up to the bridgedeck, and there's about a metre of width either side. And that bulkhead is about 30mm thick everywhere except where I'm cutting out the hatchway. I'll post a picture some time when I get a new, little camera - I spilt milk all over my little Lumix. Still crying over it.

Rick

May I recommend an Olympus TG4. Water and milk proof to 2.1m, video and a really good macro setting. Mine is great.
    Grateful Dead

Nor wood or a boat, but we lost one of out valued community this afternoon. A big healthy male wombat knocked over by a speeding tradie on our little bush track in the middle of the afternoon. I know where he is working and will deal with it.

Dont you have a phone? Their cameras are pretty much as good as most dedicated cameras there days. Certainly good enough for forum posts. And isn't your LUMIX milk proof? Mine is waterproof. Unless the door is open.

May I recommend an Olympus TG4. Water and milk proof to 2.1m, video and a really good macro setting. Mine is great.
    Thanks, I'll check it out! There are little, cheap cameras that'll go down to around 8m. I'd like one like that for inspecting the boat and catching the occasional water creature etc. I have good UW gear but it's very cumbersome. I had a waterproof soft case for the Lumix but it wasn't wearing it when I put the milk in the bag without screwing the bottle top on.

Rick
    Last edited by RFNK; 11-01-2018 at 01:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Dont you have a phone? Their cameras are pretty much as good as most dedicated cameras there days. Certainly good enough for forum posts. And isn't your LUMIX milk proof? Mine is waterproof. Unless the door is open.
    Too fiddly. Lumixes ain't Lumixes, Sol .....

Rick

I've been using my phone but at sea I'm always worried about dropping it. It's not like they have a handle on them. Today I was in a mates little nick nack shop and noticed a small video camera, a Aiptek AHD 17 Pro. Anyway I got it for $15, no leads but I checked it out and knew I had leads at home. It's only 5 MP but so is my phone and I've done some reasonable video with that. I'll play with it on the weekend.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

I have a little lumix which says it's waterproof. Never been game to actually stick it in the drink. I find the phone much more convenient for photos. Easy to share here or farcebook or various messaging apps.

Someone is going to show me how to get the photos off my phone and onto my tower/computer.
    Grateful Dead

Someone is going to show me how to get the photos off my phone and onto my tower/computer.
    Hopefully next week...apart from Monday or Tuesday, what days are you home?

I've been using my phone but at sea I'm always worried about dropping it. It's not like they have a handle on them. Today I was in a mates little nick nack shop and noticed a small video camera, a Aiptek AHD 17 Pro. Anyway I got it for $15, no leads but I checked it out and knew I had leads at home. It's only 5 MP but so is my phone and I've done some reasonable video with that. I'll play with it on the weekend.
    Well it charged up just fine and seems to work. I’ll take it out on the rescue boat tomorrow and take some video.

Hopefully next week...apart from Monday or Tuesday, what days are you home?

Ooh can you show me too? My phone memory is almost full. I don't need to carry 10000 photos around in my pocket. Want to move all to the cloud ideally. Or to my laptop. Or both. But don't want to do it one by one or sort them or anything. Just move the lot.

Exactly why I prefer using a camera to a phone. Apart from picture quality, flexibility of use, waterproofness .....

Rick

But I thought I heard your camera was not waterproof? Phone is great for ease of use. It's normally nearby. Unlock. Touch the camera icon. Point and shoot. Open Tapatalk and post here.

Speaking of which. I'm on the boat. Got my phone. Not my camera. Thought I'd try to get the toe rail off in one piece as I don't want to buy 100 feet of teak. The screws are unsurprisingly uncooperative

2 from 6 so far. Going to have retreat and strategise. I think I might buy a reciprocating saw and

Cut divots out to expose each screw head. Then try multigrips to extract. I don't think the toerail is glued to the deck. Not sure of that.

Tried drilling the heads off. Not happy with that approach.

But I thought I heard your camera was not waterproof? Phone is great for ease of use. It's normally nearby. Unlock. Touch the camera icon. Point and shoot. Open Tapatalk and post here.

I intend to buy a waterproof one. It's not just taking the shot that's fiddly with a phone. It's all the photo processing etc. I'd rather just put a memory card into the computer, download the photos and use decent software to manage image size, cropping etc.

Rick

With bronze screws, I'd definitely persevere with drilling the heads off. Use a centreing bit - you know those ones that fit in a lathe? Make a decent hole in the screw with that then use a bigger bit to shave off the head. If you carve around the screw, you end up damaging the rail too much. I've tried the drilling approach with SS and found it useless but I use it with bronze and it works really well. The bit needs to be sharp so best to buy a new one!

Alternatively, you can use a small drill bit to form a pilot hole but they tend to be too bendy so the centreing bit is better.

Rick

Thanks Rick. I don't know those bits but sounds encouraging. Don't have a picture do you? I'll try that before I start cutting divots.

I don't have a picture handy but they're basically just a little bit of steel rod with a just a nib of drill at each end.

Look up centreing bit - I'll do the same and post if I'm quicker.

Rick