Page 1262 of 1317 FirstFirst ... 26276211621212125212611262126312721312 ... LastLast
Results 44,136 to 44,170 of 46086

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

  1. #44136
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    16,599

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    PFD with crotchstrap and build in harness have been available for years. I bought a Burke brand about five years ago.
    Maybe you didnt do reading either. PDF, Harness, AND COMFORTABLE. That last bit is important.

  2. #44137
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    16,599

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Apologies for sounding a bit like Ian.

  3. #44138
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Livin' in the Golden Triangle
    Posts
    57,099

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Apologies for sounding a bit like Ian.
    Never apologise for being right
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

  4. #44139
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    18,196

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    I'd like everyone to stop mentioning PDFs.

    Rick

  5. #44140
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    27,522

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Apologies for sounding a bit like Ian.
    You have a way to go for that.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

  6. #44141
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Gold Coast Australia
    Posts
    2,611

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Had a closer look at the 8m Gaff mast that I found sitting 5 minutes down the road. Unfortunatley at 110 mm tapering to 100mm it looks to bea little light.

    [IMG][/IMG]

  7. #44142
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    117

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    How much does that weigh? I assume it's fairly awkward to move around?

  8. #44143
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    27,522

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    You didnt do stats at Uni did you? You cant draw any conclusions from that figure. Maybe 90% of people on boats don't wear a PFD, and 80% of drownings are found without a PFD. That would mean a higher proportion of people wearing a PFD than not get drowned. But we dont have the data.
    I barely did high school but what I draw from that is more drown without PFD than with one.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

  9. #44144
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    27,522

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    This study found that only 8% of people who drowned were reported to have worn a lifejacket. Of those not wearing a lifejacket, 14% were had been carrying them onboard the vessel at the time of the incident. The importance of wearing a lifejacket at all times cannot be underestimated.
    https://www.royallifesaving.com.au/a...nalysis-report
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

  10. #44145
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    18,196

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    8% of drowned had lifejackets on? How did they drown, I wonder? You can drown in surface foam and spray, you can be caught underwater - I wonder how it happened?

    Rick

  11. #44146
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Melb, Vic, Aus
    Posts
    382

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Had a closer look at the 8m Gaff mast that I found sitting 5 minutes down the road. Unfortunatley at 110 mm tapering to 100mm it looks to bea little light.

    [IMG][/IMG]
    You could go a ketch rig?

  12. #44147
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    27,522

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    8% of drowned had lifejackets on? How did they drown, I wonder? You can drown in surface foam and spray, you can be caught underwater - I wonder how it happened?

    Rick
    Trapped under boat, knocked unconscious, rough seas...who knows.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

  13. #44148
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, QLD
    Posts
    1,429

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Had a closer look at the 8m Gaff mast that I found sitting 5 minutes down the road. Unfortunatley at 110 mm tapering to 100mm it looks to bea little light.
    What's Wee Barkie's sail area and displacement?

    I'm pretty sure W.B. is heavier and carries more sail than Pixie, but for reference; Pixie's mast is 7.7m overall and tapers from 105mm above deck to 80mm. Pixie weighs somewhere between 2.5 and 3t and carries about 300sqft.

    It might be worth getting a naval architect to run some numbers for you. With the right staying it might be closer than you think.

  14. #44149
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Gold Coast Australia
    Posts
    2,611

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by MattSplatt View Post
    What's Wee Barkie's sail area and displacement?

    I'm pretty sure W.B. is heavier and carries more sail than Pixie, but for reference; Pixie's mast is 7.7m overall and tapers from 105mm above deck to 80mm. Pixie weighs somewhere between 2.5 and 3t and carries about 300sqft.

    It might be worth getting a naval architect to run some numbers for you. With the right staying it might be closer than you think.
    Thanks for those reference numbers.

    WB designed Gaff sail area was 400sqft,and her original mast height was 28’ or just over 5.5m,her displacement is around 4.2t.
    In order to make up for the decrease in mast height I will be using a longer 4.3m Gaff which will also increase my main area somewhat.

    My understanding from Tim Philips is that the 26’Couta boats use an 8m spar with a 120-125mm mast diameter.

  15. #44150
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    16,599

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    10 cm seems pretty light. I'm thinking Dads mast is twice that. 6 inches seems right, whatever that is in cm. it's a gaff fig, so is measured in inches. The gaff and boom might be 3 or 4

  16. #44151
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    16,599

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Reply with quote fails to pick up your extract, but "14% were had been" is a bit of a giveaway of plain old sloppy work isnt it? Again, the raw figures of how many dead bodies were wearing a life jacket tells us nothing. Maybe only 5% wear life jackets, but they are over represented in the drownings because the jackets make the wearers so clumsy. Or careless or whatever. The stats as presented mean nothing at all. And they are bandied around in absolute blissful ignorance by people who can't even construct a decent sentence, or proof read a published article, as justification for making life jackets compulsory.

  17. #44152
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    16,599

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    I'm surprised though that only 14% had lifejackets on board.

  18. #44153
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    16,599

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    I'm staggered. I actually read that linked article. What a total crock of Sh!t. Did you know that 31% of drowning victims had taken drugs? So 69% hadn't. Much safer if you are totally off your face. And gender, how dangerous is it to be a man? 92% of victims are male. They don't mention though what percentage of boaters are male. It would be more than half wouldn't it? Could it be as high as 95%? Even higher? If you don't compare the number of drownings to the make up,of the boating population, the numbers are pure drivel. And this is an article published by a supposedly responsible and respected life saving organisation! What a bunch of clueless halfwits. OMFG. Save us from these idiots.
    Last edited by Phil Y; 09-26-2018 at 04:50 PM.

  19. #44154
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    16,599

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    12% of drownings resulted from falling overboard into water. It actually says that. That's a direct quote. Honest. Go read it yourself. And from this they conclude that wearing a lifejacket at all times is the most important single thing we can all do.
    Last edited by Phil Y; 09-26-2018 at 04:52 PM.

  20. #44155
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    16,599

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Oh boy, this stuff is even better than coffee for waking me up in the morning.

  21. #44156
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Gold Coast Australia
    Posts
    2,611

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    10 cm seems pretty light. I'm thinking Dads mast is twice that. 6 inches seems right, whatever that is in cm. it's a gaff fig, so is measured in inches. The gaff and boom might be 3 or 4
    I agree WB original mast which forms part of my bowsprite measures around 5.5 inches which in my opinion was on the large and definitively the heavy side. The other interesting statistic is the mast down the road weights 83 kilos while Tim Philips Couta mast is said to be just under 150 kilos.
    Analysing those numbers the one down the road built more recently by the Endevour restoration crew does not contain the high quality old growth Oregon used for the much older Couta boat mast in my opinion?

    Another decision I will also be facing is leaving the Couta mast as is or adding spreaders.?

    Geftb WB performed very well as a gaff rigged cutter judging by feedback from past owners and crew and I will not change that.

  22. #44157
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    847

    Default

    I'm beginning to regret posting the original news item that started this series of diatribes.
    Resorting to the use of statistics interpretation to bolster an argument is always the second last resort in pushing an argument - most people in boats use common sense about when to use a PDF of even if it's safe to venture away from shore.
    "Wear a PDF at all times" is such a broad recommendation that everyone has their own interpretation based on their judgement of the situation and most people are just fine mist of the time.
    In a few cases someone makes the wrong decision and in fewer cases still they pay the price.
    I vote for common sense based on education of risk factors.

    Sent from my TA-1054 using Tapatalk

  23. #44158
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    847

    Default

    And I DEFINITELY typed PFD. I blame autocorrect for the PDF inclusion.

    Sent from my TA-1054 using Tapatalk

  24. #44159
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    27,522

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
    I'm beginning to regret posting the original news item that started this series of diatribes.
    Resorting to the use of statistics interpretation to bolster an argument is always the second last resort in pushing an argument - most people in boats use common sense about when to use a PDF of even if it's safe to venture away from shore.
    "Wear a PDF at all times" is such a broad recommendation that everyone has their own interpretation based on their judgement of the situation and most people are just fine mist of the time.
    In a few cases someone makes the wrong decision and in fewer cases still they pay the price.
    I vote for common sense based on education of risk factors.

    Sent from my TA-1054 using Tapatalk
    I don’t have a problem with that.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

  25. #44160
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    27,522

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Serious rain here last night but luckily we didn’t cop the hail that some areas got.
    Im suffering from boat withdrawal.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

  26. #44161
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    53,078

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    I wear a manual inflatable vest in the Kayak or the canoe, but when sailing with the club there are rules about the type of PFD you must wear to maintain your insurance. And clumsy damn things they are too.

  27. #44162
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Livin' in the Golden Triangle
    Posts
    57,099

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I wear a manual inflatable vest in the Kayak or the canoe, but when sailing with the club there are rules about the type of PFD you must wear to maintain your insurance. And clumsy damn things they are too.
    I nearly drowned during one of the first sailing races I did (might even have been the first) - as a 14 year old in Coffs Harbour. Sailing a Kitty Cat, my PFD caught on the boom vang as we tacked. We capsized, and with me still caught up by the PFD. I was freed by the skipper before the boat turtled. I'd have been trapped underwater if he hadn't freed it. I never wore it again.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

  28. #44163
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    18,196

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Oh boy, this stuff is even better than coffee for waking me up in the morning.
    I'm athinkun' y'orta have the coffee first

    Rick

  29. #44164
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    18,196

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
    And I DEFINITELY typed PFD. I blame autocorrect for the PDF inclusion.

    Sent from my TA-1054 using Tapatalk
    Oh yeah .....

    Rick

  30. #44165
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    27,522

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    I nearly drowned during one of the first sailing races I did (might even have been the first) - as a 14 year old in Coffs Harbour. Sailing a Kitty Cat, my PFD caught on the boom vang as we tacked. We capsized, and with me still caught up by the PFD. I was freed by the skipper before the boat turtled. I'd have been trapped underwater if he hadn't freed it. I never wore it again.
    I bet that was an old style one. I got caught under the jib during a VJ capsize when I was a kit, no jacket and I managed to free myself...despite not being able to swim.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

  31. #44166
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    18,196

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Waiting at Concord Hospital Burns Unit for the nephew who's scalded his hands badly. Can't help but notice some of the other patients' injuries. There but for the grace .... phew!

    Rick

  32. #44167
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    18,196

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I bet that was an old style one. I got caught under the jib during a VJ capsize when I was a kit, no jacket and I managed to free myself...despite not being able to swim.
    I always thought you came as a kit Jeff!

    Rick

  33. #44168
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    27,522

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I always thought you came as a kit Jeff!

    Rick
    Yes I was assembled by parents who were drunk at the time.
    Jeff!?
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

  34. #44169
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    18,196

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Gary
    That autocorrect is a real bugger, isn't it?

    Rick

  35. #44170
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    27,522

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Gary
    That autocorrect is a real bugger, isn't it?

    Rick
    I wish I could blame it but this time it was me hitting the wrong key.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •