Page 1262 of 1317 FirstFirst ... 26276211621212125212611262126312721312 ... LastLast
Results 44,136 to 44,170 of 46086

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    PFD with crotchstrap and build in harness have been available for years. I bought a Burke brand about five years ago.
    Maybe you didnt do reading either. PDF, Harness, AND COMFORTABLE. That last bit is important.

Apologies for sounding a bit like Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Never apologise for being right
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd like everyone to stop mentioning PDFs.

Rick

You have a way to go for that.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Had a closer look at the 8m Gaff mast that I found sitting 5 minutes down the road. Unfortunatley at 110 mm tapering to 100mm it looks to bea little light.

[IMG][/IMG]

How much does that weigh? I assume it's fairly awkward to move around?

You didnt do stats at Uni did you? You cant draw any conclusions from that figure. Maybe 90% of people on boats don't wear a PFD, and 80% of drownings are found without a PFD. That would mean a higher proportion of people wearing a PFD than not get drowned. But we dont have the data.
    I barely did high school but what I draw from that is more drown without PFD than with one.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

This study found that only 8% of people who drowned were reported to have worn a lifejacket. Of those not wearing a lifejacket, 14% were had been carrying them onboard the vessel at the time of the incident. The importance of wearing a lifejacket at all times cannot be underestimated.
    https://www.royallifesaving.com.au/a...nalysis-report

8% of drowned had lifejackets on? How did they drown, I wonder? You can drown in surface foam and spray, you can be caught underwater - I wonder how it happened?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Had a closer look at the 8m Gaff mast that I found sitting 5 minutes down the road. Unfortunatley at 110 mm tapering to 100mm it looks to bea little light.

[IMG][/IMG]
    You could go a ketch rig?

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    8% of drowned had lifejackets on? How did they drown, I wonder? You can drown in surface foam and spray, you can be caught underwater - I wonder how it happened?

Rick
    Trapped under boat, knocked unconscious, rough seas...who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    What's Wee Barkie's sail area and displacement?

I'm pretty sure W.B. is heavier and carries more sail than Pixie, but for reference; Pixie's mast is 7.7m overall and tapers from 105mm above deck to 80mm. Pixie weighs somewhere between 2.5 and 3t and carries about 300sqft.

It might be worth getting a naval architect to run some numbers for you. With the right staying it might be closer than you think.

Quote Originally Posted by MattSplatt View Post
    What's Wee Barkie's sail area and displacement?

I'm pretty sure W.B. is heavier and carries more sail than Pixie, but for reference; Pixie's mast is 7.7m overall and tapers from 105mm above deck to 80mm. Pixie weighs somewhere between 2.5 and 3t and carries about 300sqft.

It might be worth getting a naval architect to run some numbers for you. With the right staying it might be closer than you think.
    Thanks for those reference numbers.

WB designed Gaff sail area was 400sqft,and her original mast height was 28’ or just over 5.5m,her displacement is around 4.2t.
    In order to make up for the decrease in mast height I will be using a longer 4.3m Gaff which will also increase my main area somewhat.

My understanding from Tim Philips is that the 26’Couta boats use an 8m spar with a 120-125mm mast diameter.

10 cm seems pretty light. I'm thinking Dads mast is twice that. 6 inches seems right, whatever that is in cm. it's a gaff fig, so is measured in inches. The gaff and boom might be 3 or 4

Reply with quote fails to pick up your extract, but "14% were had been" is a bit of a giveaway of plain old sloppy work isnt it? Again, the raw figures of how many dead bodies were wearing a life jacket tells us nothing. Maybe only 5% wear life jackets, but they are over represented in the drownings because the jackets make the wearers so clumsy. Or careless or whatever. The stats as presented mean nothing at all. And they are bandied around in absolute blissful ignorance by people who can't even construct a decent sentence, or proof read a published article, as justification for making life jackets compulsory.

I'm surprised though that only 14% had lifejackets on board.

I'm staggered. I actually read that linked article. What a total crock of Sh!t. Did you know that 31% of drowning victims had taken drugs? So 69% hadn't. Much safer if you are totally off your face. And gender, how dangerous is it to be a man? 92% of victims are male. They don't mention though what percentage of boaters are male. It would be more than half wouldn't it? Could it be as high as 95%? Even higher? If you don't compare the number of drownings to the make up,of the boating population, the numbers are pure drivel. And this is an article published by a supposedly responsible and respected life saving organisation! What a bunch of clueless halfwits. OMFG. Save us from these idiots.
    Last edited by Phil Y; 09-26-2018 at 04:50 PM.

12% of drownings resulted from falling overboard into water. It actually says that. That's a direct quote. Honest. Go read it yourself. And from this they conclude that wearing a lifejacket at all times is the most important single thing we can all do.
    Last edited by Phil Y; 09-26-2018 at 04:52 PM.

Oh boy, this stuff is even better than coffee for waking me up in the morning.

10 cm seems pretty light. I'm thinking Dads mast is twice that. 6 inches seems right, whatever that is in cm. it's a gaff fig, so is measured in inches. The gaff and boom might be 3 or 4
    I agree WB original mast which forms part of my bowsprite measures around 5.5 inches which in my opinion was on the large and definitively the heavy side. The other interesting statistic is the mast down the road weights 83 kilos while Tim Philips Couta mast is said to be just under 150 kilos.
    Analysing those numbers the one down the road built more recently by the Endevour restoration crew does not contain the high quality old growth Oregon used for the much older Couta boat mast in my opinion?

Another decision I will also be facing is leaving the Couta mast as is or adding spreaders.?

Geftb WB performed very well as a gaff rigged cutter judging by feedback from past owners and crew and I will not change that.

I'm beginning to regret posting the original news item that started this series of diatribes.
    Resorting to the use of statistics interpretation to bolster an argument is always the second last resort in pushing an argument - most people in boats use common sense about when to use a PDF of even if it's safe to venture away from shore.
    "Wear a PDF at all times" is such a broad recommendation that everyone has their own interpretation based on their judgement of the situation and most people are just fine mist of the time.
    In a few cases someone makes the wrong decision and in fewer cases still they pay the price.
    I vote for common sense based on education of risk factors.

Sent from my TA-1054 using Tapatalk

And I DEFINITELY typed PFD. I blame autocorrect for the PDF inclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
    I'm beginning to regret posting the original news item that started this series of diatribes.
    Resorting to the use of statistics interpretation to bolster an argument is always the second last resort in pushing an argument - most people in boats use common sense about when to use a PDF of even if it's safe to venture away from shore.
    "Wear a PDF at all times" is such a broad recommendation that everyone has their own interpretation based on their judgement of the situation and most people are just fine mist of the time.
    In a few cases someone makes the wrong decision and in fewer cases still they pay the price.
    I vote for common sense based on education of risk factors.

I don’t have a problem with that.

Serious rain here last night but luckily we didn’t cop the hail that some areas got.
    Im suffering from boat withdrawal.

I wear a manual inflatable vest in the Kayak or the canoe, but when sailing with the club there are rules about the type of PFD you must wear to maintain your insurance. And clumsy damn things they are too.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I wear a manual inflatable vest in the Kayak or the canoe, but when sailing with the club there are rules about the type of PFD you must wear to maintain your insurance. And clumsy damn things they are too.
    I nearly drowned during one of the first sailing races I did (might even have been the first) - as a 14 year old in Coffs Harbour. Sailing a Kitty Cat, my PFD caught on the boom vang as we tacked. We capsized, and with me still caught up by the PFD. I was freed by the skipper before the boat turtled. I'd have been trapped underwater if he hadn't freed it. I never wore it again.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Oh boy, this stuff is even better than coffee for waking me up in the morning.
    I'm athinkun' y'orta have the coffee first

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
    And I DEFINITELY typed PFD. I blame autocorrect for the PDF inclusion.

Oh yeah .....

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    I nearly drowned during one of the first sailing races I did (might even have been the first) - as a 14 year old in Coffs Harbour. Sailing a Kitty Cat, my PFD caught on the boom vang as we tacked. We capsized, and with me still caught up by the PFD. I was freed by the skipper before the boat turtled. I'd have been trapped underwater if he hadn't freed it. I never wore it again.
    I bet that was an old style one. I got caught under the jib during a VJ capsize when I was a kit, no jacket and I managed to free myself...despite not being able to swim.

Waiting at Concord Hospital Burns Unit for the nephew who's scalded his hands badly. Can't help but notice some of the other patients' injuries. There but for the grace .... phew!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I bet that was an old style one. I got caught under the jib during a VJ capsize when I was a kit, no jacket and I managed to free myself...despite not being able to swim.
    I always thought you came as a kit Jeff!

Rick

I always thought you came as a kit Jeff!

Rick
    Yes I was assembled by parents who were drunk at the time.
    Jeff!?

Gary
    That autocorrect is a real bugger, isn't it?

Rick

Gary
    That autocorrect is a real bugger, isn't it?

Rick
    I wish I could blame it but this time it was me hitting the wrong key.