Page 1256 of 1269 FirstFirst ... 2567561156120612461255125612571266 ... LastLast
Results 43,926 to 43,960 of 44391

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Not really some of my boats represented stages of my life, while others where resold for a profit. The Hartley was an amazing little craft ,we used to load her up frequently with up to 350 kilos of food water and camping gear and head over to Stradie Is for up to 5 days when the boys where young.
    After we formed the TVSC I also used to race her regularly placing in the top finishers regularly.
    I like that 'stage of life' concept... will keep that in mind when I am trying to move on. Selling a boat for a profit is a very foreign concept to me. How do you do it? Are you one of those ultra charismatic people who make the impossible look easy?

I can spend all day in a Parasox.

Rick

Gawd ! I walked into that one !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

[QUOTE=Small boats rock;5670561. Selling a boat for a profit is a very foreign concept to me. How do you do it? Are you one of those ultra charismatic people who make the impossible look easy?[/QUOTE

I wish I was .
    I find a lot of selling is about timing ,buying boats in the winter month for example and especially buying undervalued goods or investments.When selling its more about presentation and a realistic price in other words don’t be greedy.I have found those concept work with all types of sales .

Matt The guy the Talebudgerah Surf Club indicated it is Kevlar .

Not boat related but definitely wood.
    While waiting for a doctor's appointment yesterday, i wasted some time at a nearby charity shop. And found this great little specimen of wood-carving.
    I am actually no great fan of carving but this is exceptional.
    It's carved from ebony, what must be a branch off-cut from a harvested tree.
    The cross-section shows the dark wood in the centre, the other photos show how how the bust has been carved out of that central core of ebony. Amazing - more so when you realise how VERY HARD both the core and the outer layer are. They're seriously hard, and i suspect that they would do a lot of damage to my chisels were i silly enough to ever try working with such a wood. I have great admiration for the artisan who carved that to the finished product.
    A bit of googling and the style of carving makes me guess that its African in origin - most likely Gabon ebony. Cost me $5, less 20% senior's discount

E1.jpgE2.jpgE3.jpg

Amazing wood, I've got a scrap of gidgee here which is probably equally hard. It's something I've suggested to luthiers as a good material for frets .
    Grateful Dead

That's a very clever bit of clutter, err, carving.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    That's a very clever bit of clutter, err, carving.
    Agree about the potential for clutter, but sometimes i find stuff that doesnt deserve to be unappreciated or discarded - this is one such item.
    My home office has quite a few of these appreciation deserving items on most horizontal surfaces.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    I find a lot of selling is about timing ,buying boats in the winter month for example and especially buying undervalued goods or investments.When selling its more about presentation and a realistic price in other words don’t be greedy.I have found those concept work with all types of sales .
    OK, I'm going with the tried and true Tom method. I shall report results when they happen.

I bought a hull and deck some time ago with the idea of fitting it out. I paid about $12000 for it. Decided that was a project way too big for me. I put it up on eBay and doubled my money. I seem to think I came out ahead on a dragon I bought at a garage sale too. But I think making any money on a boat is a rare fluke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a hull and deck some time ago with the idea of fitting it out. I paid about $12000 for it. Decided that was a project way too big for me. I put it up on eBay and doubled my money. I seem to think I came out ahead on a dragon I bought at a garage sale too. But I think making any money on a boat is a rare fluke.

I agree with you Phil these days it’s a lot harder. Came across this old clinker hull at Ray’s in Chinderah today I had a chance to buy it for $1200 two years ago. Last week Ray moved it into his shop and the asking price has undoubtedly tripled and it will probably never sell now ,as it has become a shop feature.
    As it was the Tammie cost the same with a really good trailer and a 2.5 Yamaha which I already flogged for 400 leaving me with a bargain priced boat.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by auscruisertom; 09-11-2018 at 04:35 PM.

Interesting looking shop. Move it to a shop in Byron Bay it might just be worth 3k

Rick, are you there mate?. There's a thread over in building and repair about redecking a Tasman Seabird. Surprised you haven't chimed in, given you are fond of the design and have some experience doing new decks. Removing teak over ply and replacing with glass over ply. Your wisdom might be valuable.

It's a fascinating shop, lots of junk but some very interesting stuff too.
    Grateful Dead

Interesting looking shop. Move it to a shop in Byron Bay it might just be worth 3k
    Ray has accumulated an incredible treasure trove heavely influenced by nautical antiques ,and his shop would have to rank highly as Australia’s best free nautical and antique estate exhibition one stop shop.

Rick, are you there mate?. There's a thread over in building and repair about redecking a Tasman Seabird. Surprised you haven't chimed in, given you are fond of the design and have some experience doing new decks. Removing teak over ply and replacing with glass over ply. Your wisdom might be valuable.
    I'll have a look.

Rick

Default Antipodean Boats Connection

I have a dumb question. Arawana is unsinking and I don't know how. Since this time last year she has risen against her waterline by around 40mm. Ideas?

Last edited by brucemoffatt; 09-12-2018 at 01:01 AM.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    I have a dumb question. Arawana is unsinking and I don't know how. Since this time last year she has risen against her waterline by around 40mm. Ideas?

I would suggest less fuel ,water ,grub,,clothing and tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
    Not boat related but definitely wood.
    While waiting for a doctor's appointment yesterday, i wasted some time at a nearby charity shop. And found this great little specimen of wood-carving.
    I am actually no great fan of carving but this is exceptional.
    It's carved from ebony, what must be a branch off-cut from a harvested tree.
    The cross-section shows the dark wood in the centre, the other photos show how how the bust has been carved out of that central core of ebony. Amazing - more so when you realise how VERY HARD both the core and the outer layer are. They're seriously hard, and i suspect that they would do a lot of damage to my chisels were i silly enough to ever try working with such a wood. I have great admiration for the artisan who carved that to the finished product.
    A bit of googling and the style of carving makes me guess that its African in origin - most likely Gabon ebony. Cost me $5, less 20% senior's discount

E1.jpgE2.jpgE3.jpg
    I've got some of those ebony carvings that came with the house... in 1983. As of yesterday, I'm no longer an owner of the house... but I've still got the ebony carvings. Tried to give some away... and failed
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

My first 2 coats of epoxy undercoat went on today. I don't want to commit to boat in the water this summer, but it looks promising. IMG_20180912_175206109.jpg

My bet would be moisture drying out of the fake wood. South Australia is incredibly dry. All over the place, even now at the end of winter, there is evidence of Balias timbers shrinking. Fake wood is not entirely waterproof, so I'm thinking it has some moisture content.

My quick mental estimate is a bit more than 350 kg of weight difference. I can account for a bit more than 100 kg of that. I'm sure some of the remainder is the boat drying out because there has been a steady rise of the hull after an initial burst when stuff was unloaded. There does seem to be quite a lot of extra boat out of the water though.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

She's aground and the tide is on the ebb.

The keel bolts have let go and the ballast is in the mud on the bottom of the bay 😉

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Or an albatross has his feet stuck in the windex and is trying to gain altitude.

Farts?

Rick

Shes got a fair bit of real wood too hasnt she, the fake teak deck for example. With ply underneath? I imagine that would hold some water too.

Oh and cold water is more dense, I don't know whether it's by a significant amount. See if she starts sinking as the water warms up.

I'm glad that Phil, at least, is taking it seriously. At the current rate of unsinking I'll be able to scrub the hull by hand in waist deep water before summer. Not sure about the effect on primary stability but she should go faster, and the risk of running aground again on KI is less too.

Paperback E-book

Or wait a bit longer and you can do it by just sitting on the wharf.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by pelagos View Post
    My first 2 coats of epoxy undercoat went on today. I don't want to commit to boat in the water this summer, but it looks promising. IMG_20180912_175206109.jpg
    Sure does - looking great!!

Rick

Serious? I've heard of that concept before somewhere. I'd check the ballast keel (assuming it is external)... to make sure some kind of stray current isn't dissolving it away like a berocca tablet.

Seawater density also increases as salinity increases. Find some local stats on temperature and salinity over the winter and see if the change is significant enough to account for 250kg.

Well my big old steel boat, which I mentioned I saw for sale a couple of weeks ago, has sold. Bit sad actually, Felicity was really keen to buy it, but we thought at $170,000 it would hang around forever and we could have a look and make a lowball offer when we go down to Tassie in January. And then see about selling Balia, with her nice new deck all done. Interestingly another big boat which was advertised locally on Gumtree, has also sold. This one was 50 feet, timber, advertised for $190,000. Maybe the market is not completely dead. We were thinking when we came to sell Balia we'd be looking at a fire sale price. Cant find Balias sister ship on gumtree any more either, shes been listed for a year or more.
    Last edited by Phil Y; 09-13-2018 at 01:43 AM.

Maybe global warming and rising sea levels are starting to alarm some people. Hold onto your boat for a few more years, the price may go into orbit.