Page 1249 of 1418 FirstFirst ... 249749114911991239124812491250125912991349 ... LastLast
Results 43,681 to 43,715 of 49610

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by purri View Post
    Ok, vets starts at age 28. It goes in 5 year increments from A downwards. SO a crew in the mean H group means ancient mariners, in fact there's a group named that. There was a womens four at Lake Barrington mid June 2015 where the youngest was 82!

We had a mixed gender 8 over here in H grade just after they invented that grade. They raced as the Heavenly Eight because they reckoned the next grade was deceased. Then someone invented I grade. Then J grade.

In a Head of the Yarra crew from SA one of the blokes was looking a bit crook, to put it mildly, and the rest of the crew were discussing how to manage the situation. The bloke in charge suggested taping the oar handles to his hands and putting bungy chords strategically so at least he'd be assured of finishing.

Old fart rowing is where I learned the phrases "It's not for sissies, this growing old business" and "I don't buy green bananas or hard avocados"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

I'm trying to undo a bronze dome nut on a bronze screw with a slotted head that was done up some time in 1961.
    Any clues? Tried CRC, should I try heat?

purri, more strength to everyones arm Rick. Sounds fabulous.

The slotted screw is tight in the dome nut? Are they in something or just stuck together?

1. Find a Tardis and go back to 1961 and tell the guy to put grease in the nut.

2. Use two pairs of vise grips. Heat will help. If the screw is buried in wood, jam the screw wityh a screwdriver and take the nut off with vise grips (assuming you can't get a spanner to fit.

3. If you can't get a screwdriver to jam the screw, you might be able to jam the nut with a spanner or vise grips and then use an impact driver with a slotted bit or a hammer drill with a slotted bit.

4. If none of that works, you'll have to chisel out around the screw until you can get the jaws of the vise grips on it.

5. If you don't have vise grips, you're f*****. So get some!

Rick

Rick

Nut is stuck on the end of the screw. I can apply plenty of pressure but that will likely break the screw shaft. I do really want to save the fitting It's FICO from when they were The Field Instrument Company from the 1930's is likely.
    I applied a bit of heat from a torch and got some movement but I think that was in the screw shaft.

One interesting thing. The sail fillings are bronze track and bronze cars attached to the sail. The mast and boom are 2 part glued but the old glue has failed. Screwing the sail track to a softwood mast and boom with small screws is not going to hod so these spars have a hardwood dowel embedded in the spar at manufacturing stage to give the screws a suitable anchor.

only mine is no longer burnished………...
    Last edited by skuthorp; 11-27-2018 at 06:36 AM.

If the screw is silicon bronze and in good condition it would probably twist quite a bit without damage,Silicon bronze is very malleable, or it will shear at the end of the thread
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I wonder if that mast and boom originally took a bolt rope, but got worn out or something, and the fix was to split them apart, glue in a hardwood dowel, and go to track and slides?

Okay, grip the screw shaft in a vise. This might damage the thread but you can always clean it up with a die. Then heat the nut, a lot. You can take it right up to red hot but you shouldn't need to do that. Twist it off with the spanner, testing as it gets hotter.

I've just been replacing bronze skin fittings with Trudesign plastic ones. Removing old bronze skin fittings that are placed in the most awkward parts of the boat is quite tricky. I've been heating them up to loosen any glue with a heatgun. This involves making up a little metal tube to fit to the heatgun so that I can heat by blowing hot air through the fitting without damaging the hull, sheathing or paint. So far it's working well.

Rick

Thanks, that's this afternoon's job. I'd not thought of the bolt rope replacement.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    3. If you can't get a screwdriver to jam the screw, you might be able to jam the nut with a spanner or vise grips and then use an impact driver with a slotted bit or a hammer drill with a slotted bit.

4. If none of that works, you'll have to chisel out around the screw until you can get the jaws of the vise grips on it.
    That's been my approach.

If there is a danger of sheering the bolt, is it better to take a gently gently approach, or is the sudden shock of an impact driver a viable approach?
    Some bronze fittings of mine I sprayed liberally with Inox and left for a few days. When they came apart the inox had penetrated down into it.

I'm about to lock up my through deck fittings with bolts and nylocks, stainless steel 316. I like the idea of greasing the nut, but will this jeopardise the holding power?

Kasanof pointed out many years ago - the greatest genius of all time was the man who invented the vise-grips.
    My dad, a fitter and turner, is a great fan of the multigrips - considers them superior.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Vise grips are great because you can clamp them onto things and let go, unlike multigrips which, while versatile, have probably been responsible for more skinned knuckles and divorces than any other tool in the workshop! But your dad is right - they are a fantastic tool

If you're putting nylocks onto your fittings, I can't see that grease will cause any problem at all.

Rick

We have a big thunderstorm happening here so I can't get any work done. This is not because the shed isn't waterproof - it is. It's because the dog is shaking like a leaf from the thunder and the only other thing that terrifies him is the noise of tools or machines in the shed! So it's cups of tea with dog on lap time for a little (hopefully!) while.

Rick

I've been replacing some rotten boards on the house.Hoop pine and very old.Cracks in the paint has let rain water in and they turned to pulp. Replacing with a short sheet of Colourbond and hardwood boards, messy fiddly work.
    Grateful Dead

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Some wooden boats, and others, on Sydney Harbour.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/141402...h/44418855751/
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

This is on my jetty at Mounts Bay Sailing Club (Swan River), and the owner is willing to give it away free to an enthusiast. He has a serious illness.

https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats...runette/155028

Regards,
    John.
    http://fairmaid.blogspot.com.au/

"It's dawning on me that I should have worked out the tumbler details more in advance, rather than rely on bluster and over confidence. But that's just silly." Jim Ledger.

Its looking like it could get nasty rick. Take care

Quote Originally Posted by Aquinian View Post
    This is on my jetty at Mounts Bay Sailing Club (Swan River), and the owner is willing to give it away free to an enthusiast. He has a serious illness.

https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats...runette/155028

Regards,

John.
    Nice, there's a lot of this "Serous illness'' stuff around .I wish him well!! Health and happiness.

Grateful Dead

Meanwhile, this side of the Tasman. I don't think this would make a good surprise Christmas purchase, and moorings are rare as rockinghorse poo around here, but damn, it's tempting.

https://trademe.nz/motors/boats-mari...ing/1847392746

Screenshot_20181128-192224.jpg

Pete
    I have six trolls on ignore

So far, most of the storms have missed us. Plenty of lightning and some heavy rain but only for brief periods. It's supposed to get windy tonight but calm at present. I'm hoping it's okay tomorrow as I have the crane booked to lift the new engine into the boat.

Rick

Re old bronze screws. Success. Patience, CRC, a touch of the torch and a few squeaks and it's out intact! And the slot has minimal damage.
    I have tested the bolt rope on the existing main sail, it's too small for the slot size as is. Seeing the boom glue joint has failed I could shave the inner faces to narrow it. The cars are attached to the sail by nylon fittings through degraded brass eyes, and the pins are rusty. I'm not at all sure how 'windworthy' the whole setup is. The mast does not have a slot, it's one piece. I already had another Cadet mast and it is the same except somewhat older judging by the fittings. Possibly the boom is not original. I had not factored in the renovation of the sail-spar attachments so I'll wing it and hope for gentle breezes. I do not know what I'll do with this boat after the regatta if I cannot find another owner, I do not want or need it myself. But I do enjoy the restoration work.

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    Meanwhile, this side of the Tasman. I don't think this would make a good surprise Christmas purchase, and moorings are rare as rockinghorse poo around here, but damn, it's tempting.

https://trademe.nz/motors/boats-mari...ing/1847392746

Screenshot_20181128-192224.jpg

Petez
    Y'know, the instant I saw that photo I thought 'Hayter'. Got something right.

Having a reasonably relaxed day. The car is unpacked and looking forward to coffee in town later.
    Might make it back up to the boat just to see if I can get the mast to seat properly and get the cockpit cover back on.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Re the curious boom. Repurposed, I think it was from an old VJ looking around at pics.

Profile is just right as are signs of the mainsheet fittings, I'll get a look at one over the weekend.

Still repairing/replacing rotten boards on the house, bah !! I have JIMwork to do!
    Grateful Dead

Hi Jeff, as you know I have a VJ but it's from the aluminium spar era. However, I do have a friend with a VJ with wooden spars. I can check it out for you if there's any need.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Still repairing/replacing rotten boards on the house, bah !! I have JIMwork to do!
    Yeah I’ve a few home jobs to do now. Getting the new water tank in place before the op is the main one. Had hoped for a day at home today but Kerry’s event is tomorrow night so it’s a day in town for me.

Hey Jeff there is also another VJ Spar and boom a local guy was selling selling about 6 weeks ago ,I doubt if it’s gone..I still have his no.

The boom came with a Cadet dinghy Tom, it's been modified. I think I might have a kosher one somewhere amongst my spares in the shed roof.
    But I confirmed today it was originally a VJ one. If I have genuine Cadet boom then there are takers for the VJ one in the club.

Tweed Foodiefest is setting up in the Main Street and I don’t have to do anything...it feels weird.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Tweed Foodiefest is setting up in the Main Street and I don’t have to do anything...it feels weird.
    Ended up doing stuff as usual but it was more relaxed, though I do have a beaut blister on my left foot.C9F4F2E9-CD26-42B1-91F0-49E47BEB381D.jpg

Hello antipodes. I have managed to find some bronze port holes I'm going to replace the "windows" on comet with.
    IMG_5600.jpg IMG_5603.jpg
    I don't really see the storm covers as being necessary. You can see how the connection points will also require cutting some little notches in the hole on the cabin side as well. Also the depth will not work in regards to the hinge not sitting inside the cabin enough to give clearance. So I can cut them off no problem. A question I have, and maybe Peter would know best? If I was to use the bronze from these, I could get to learning how to cast bronze. How would I go, or where would I go to get it tested to find out what type of bronze it is and what castings it would be suitable for? Would it suit structural purposes?
    Cheers Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Geftb; 12-02-2018 at 07:59 PM.

IMG_5599.jpg
    They will be replacing these

They look as though they are designed to sit wholly on the outside surface of a cabin? Be a shame to melt them down I'd say.

I messaged Bruce this morning asking if he would hold my nuts while I screwed from above. It went well, all stanchions on the starboard side removed. Thanks Bruce.

Yeah I'm thinking the same phil, in regards to sitting on the outside. I'm thinking they were originally made for something big. It I fit them as designed they will be a shin scraper and also the threaded part will be to the outside which is not ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Geftb View Post
    Hello antipodes. I have managed to find some bronze port holes I'm going to replace the "windows" on comet with.
    IMG_5600.jpg IMG_5603.jpg
    I don't really see the storm covers as being necessary. You can see how the connection points will also require cutting some little notches in the hole on the cabin side as well. Also the depth will not work in regards to the hinge not sitting inside the cabin enough to give clearance. So I can cut them off no problem. A question I have, and maybe Peter would know best? If I was to use the bronze from these, I could get to learning how to cast bronze. How would I go, or where would I go to get it tested to find out what type of bronze it is and what castings it would be suitable for? Would it suit structural purposes?
    Cheers Steve
    Nice , too good to scrap. I'd say gunmetal,a leaded bronze from the colour and the use,your local scrap metaldealer will identify some for you. For casting info I recommend Youtubes by a bloke in Melbourne called Luckygen 1001 and a forum called Alloy Avenue. Also research Patternmaking 101, nothing happens without it
    Grateful Dead