Page 1247 of 1279 FirstFirst ... 2477471147119712371246124712481257 ... LastLast
Results 43,611 to 43,645 of 44749

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    I want to know what knot is used. Whatknot?
    Here is the Colligo Marine writeup on how they do the lashings:

http://www.colligomarine.com/s/Colli...ev-13-max8.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by MattSplatt View Post
    Pixie's deadeyes are from Peter Kerr's pattern, which he made for Pixie and the new dhow which Tom posted photos of. I don't want anyone copying them directly.

But honestly there aren't many different shapes they can be, as they are essentially based on a thimble. They are similar to the Colligo aluminium ones, though solid other than the lashing holes, so they look more like a traditional deadeye than the Colligo version.

Peter, your photo a couple of posts back would work fine as a solid part with lashing holes for the lanyards. Some rigs even use a simple thimble as you've pictured and allow the lashings to just stack in the thimble. The thing to be concerned about is the radius you are putting the dux around, and radiusing the lashing holes so they run smooth, and are large enough radius if the lanyard is also dux, which Pixie's are not.
    If you send me or post a drawing of what you need I'll see what I can do.

or is this it ?

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

They are basically like that, yes. Mine don't have the triangular cutout.
    The size depends on what size line is being spliced onto them. If you look up Colligo's info on their "Terminator", you will find dimensions and sizing guides based on line thickness.

On Pixie (and the dhow), there is no deadeye at the bottom of the lashing. The lashing goes onto a large smooth eye which is part of the chainplate. Have a look at Tom's photos of the dhow back a few pages. Colligo's bottom deadeye as in that last photo above is so they can retrofit them to existing chainplates with a pin.

Tom is the one needing parts, so check with Tom.

I'm just learning about various people preferred options .Here's an interesting image from my files.

Dead-Eye-Thimble.jpg
    Grateful Dead

That's exactly the kind of thing to shoot for. The only change needed to that example is a nice smooth radiused run all the way through the lashing holes.

That would be work for a Dremel or a lot of filing.
    Grateful Dead

Nice sail today both up and down the river. Light winds with the occasional slightly stiffer breeze that got me up around 4 knots. Beating back against the tide was a relaxed challenge and I only used the outboard a few times to get me through the short stretches where it was right on the nose. The transom mount depth sounder was bloody annoying though.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I'm just learning about various people preferred options .Here's an interesting image from my files.

Dead-Eye-Thimble.jpg
    Hey Peter yes I would love to buy some of those of you should you decide to proceed in that direction.
    I believe there could be a niche market for such fittings as new ways of rigging using Dyneema are embraced by more traditionalists and mainstream riggers.

Saw this rather Interesting mooring design at Boyd’s Bay Bridge today designed by an engineer, I like it. The placement of the mooring went relatively smooth. Placed inside an alloy skiff with some flotation attached to one side,then the bungs where opened and the mooring just rolled out of the skiff before it hit bottom.With some additional flotation attached to the 200kg pipe a diver was able to turn it right sideup in about 3m of water.

[IMG][/IMG]

It looks like a pretty light mooring Tom?
    Grateful Dead

It looks like a pretty light mooring Tom?
    The bottom has welded slats and believe the owner went down with scuba and probably bedded it using air pressure.,once filled with sand it would in my opinion far outweigh my one ton block on the seabed surface.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Hey Peter yes I would love to buy some of those of you should you decide to proceed in that direction.
    I believe there could be a niche market for such fittings as new ways of rigging using Dyneema are embraced by more traditionalists and mainstream riggers.
    I'll make a pattern. What size lines are used with it, your WB anyway?
    Grateful Dead

Default Antipodean Boats Connection

Currently fire warnings for the area north of Newcastle including Tanilba, Mallabula and LTP. Fingers crossed for Rick Tracey Woody and the property, and all the good people there 😞 😞

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    The bottom has welded slats and believe the owner went down with scuba and probably bedded it using air pressure.,once filled with sand it would in my opinion far outweigh my one ton block on the seabed surface.
    Likely, I'd like a well bedded in one ton concrete block with a length of 25mm chain protruding.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Currently fire warnings for the area north of Newcastle including Tanilba, Mallabula and LTP. Fingers crossed for Rick Tracey Woody and the property, and all the good people there  

They had fire last year didn't they? It's looking like being a cruel year.
    Grateful Dead

This time it's very close to Rick and Tracey's place. Still not controlled/contained.

Concerned. Watching the RFS map and reports, updates 15 mins. The fire is moving up the peninsula their place is on, not moving into Tanilba built up area but right up to it. They are on the far side of the built up area from the fire front, except that a smaller fire seems to have broken out ahead of the front, further along the peninsula from their place.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Got a message from Rick. They are in Newcastle so not near the fire.

Paperback E-book

But their house is .
    Grateful Dead

Thanks Bruce! Yep, stuck in Newcastle. The fire is close but not very close. The wind has eased and the fire has gone from Emergency to Watch and Act. Our neighbours are watching out for spotfires. Really early in the year for this! No property damage as far as I know but, as always, wildlife will be devastated. I'll go home once the road opens. The wind's supposed to be strong tomorrow and through to Wednesday.

Rick

Likely, I'd like a well bedded in one ton concrete block with a length of 25mm chain protruding.
    I hear what you are saying Peter. My one ton block has 3m of barge chain shackled to the 9 m of 13 mm chain.The depth around my block is just over three meters and the vessels are tightly positioned at Boyd’s Bay.
    The block will be covered before long courtesy of the recent dredger leaving a prominent beach behind , that is now slowly eroding our anchorage.
    Last edited by auscruisertom; 08-18-2018 at 03:28 PM.

Mr Sibley, how many times on this forum have people asked for a supplier of cranse irons, that they don't have to sell a kidney for? I've lost count, over the years.
    They look like a relatively simple casting (what would I know), and something that perhaps could be patterned and cast to order, given an inside diameter and number of tangs.
    Oarlocks are the other one that crops up time after time.

Good luck with the fires :-/

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    Mr Sibley, how many times on this forum have people asked for a supplier of cranse irons, that they don't have to sell a kidney for? I've lost count, over the years.

Pete
    Speaking of cranse irons I recently pulled Wee Barkie’s design drawings and found this interesting version of a masthead fitting possibly drawn by WB designer Wilf OKell.
    I am not suggesting you cast these Peter.

[IMG][/IMG]

Good luck with the fire Rick, hope it stays well away from you. On moorings, old train wheels are a favourite in SA and Tassie. They have plenty of weight and because of their shape sink well into mud or sand to get a good grip on the bottom. That one Tommhas pictured looks like a truck rim with a bit of pipe across it? Probably OK for a 20 footer?

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    They look like a relatively simple casting (what would I know), and something that perhaps could be patterned and cast to order, given an inside diameter and number of tangs.
    Oarlocks are the other one that crops up time after time.

Pete
    Cranse irons appear to be quite custom, every boat 's requirements seem to vary in diameter and number of tangs. Is there a likely standard? 100 mm diameter and 4 tangs ?

Rowlocks are on the list.
    Last edited by PeterSibley; 08-18-2018 at 05:49 PM.
    Grateful Dead

Thanks everyone re the bushfire. Looks like it's pretty much burnt out now. The wind is pretty strong but the fire's burnt up to all the settlement areas so nowhere else to go, I think. Horrible to see everything burnt again but otherwise, all okay here.

Rick

Cranse irons appear to be quite custom, every boat 's requirements seem to vary in diameter and number of tangs. Is there a likely standard? 100 mm diameter and 4 tangs ?

Rowlocks are on the list.
    That is my point - as a low volume producer, you a perhaps in a really good position to do the pattern making and casting to order? The more you do, I suppose the more likely it becomes that you'll have a pattern that suits.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

A good point .
    Grateful Dead

Bugger. Seems like it's seagull nesting season. I have no regard for seagulls.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Bugger. Seems like it's seagull nesting season. I have no regard for seagulls.
    Maximum sympathy to you.
    I have suffered the seagulls nesting on my foredeck more than once. between the forestay and the anchor windlass.
    First time, i came on board to find a nest with a some eggs. And hovering noisy parents. I didnt feel too good doing it but i knew i had to drop the lot overboard.
    The next time, after being away for 6 weeks, i returned to the boat and found two chicks. And hovering noisy parents.
    Daughter was with me so I had zero chance of doing anything but swear and row back to shore.
    Two weeks later, they'd moved aft to the shelter of the boom awning and covered the cockpit floor with sh!t. Very angry parents doing good impressions of kamikaze seagulls.
    Rowed back to shore.
    Two weeks later returned to a seagull-less but sh!t-filled cockpit. Very unpleasant job cleaning it out. Daughter uninterested in helping.
    Moral: get rid of any nests at earliest opportunity.

My only comment on seagulls is they are better than cormorants.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
    Maximum sympathy to you.
    I have suffered the seagulls nesting on my foredeck more than once. between the forestay and the anchor windlass.
    First time, i came on board to find a nest with a some eggs. And hovering noisy parents. I didnt feel too good doing it but i knew i had to drop the lot overboard.
    The next time, after being away for 6 weeks, i returned to the boat and found two chicks. And hovering noisy parents.
    Daughter was with me so I had zero chance of doing anything but swear and row back to shore.
    Two weeks later, they'd moved aft to the shelter of the boom awning and covered the cockpit floor with sh!t. Very angry parents doing good impressions of kamikaze seagulls.
    Rowed back to shore.
    Two weeks later returned to a seagull-less but sh!t-filled cockpit. Very unpleasant job cleaning it out. Daughter uninterested in helping.
    Moral: get rid of any nests at earliest opportunity.
    Thanks, glad I'm not the only nest wrecker.

20180818_123943.jpg
    Had the wind almost on the nose here so I was motoring.
    39300699_10215126406587075_6065124937331376128_n.jpg
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Calvin and Hobbes expressing their opinion of my new hat.
    C2397194-C1CF-4793-9415-61C3BB9BCB2C.jpg

Looks like you just sailed in from Cuba, watch out for our Border Farce……………..

and all that cocaine in your hollow keel.
    Grateful Dead