Page 1233 of 1245 FirstFirst ... 2337331133118312231232123312341243 ... LastLast
Results 43,121 to 43,155 of 43555

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Well short trip over the bar, the bar was fine but it was a bit too lumpy for Kez outside.
    Proof of reincarnation!
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Proof of reincarnation!
    Soon I only took two photos though.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Just as well I decided to stop at a garage sale on my way to finish painting WB .
    Hard to believe someone would sell such a tool box for 20 dollars. They used to belong to a Vietnam Vet Carpenter thank you Sir , [IMG][/IMG]my crappy tools needed some decent replacements.

Was there a sudden flash of white light ? choirs of angels ?
    Grateful Dead

And then I found these antique plum bobs at the bottom of the tool box. How old would these be?

[IMG][/IMG]

Two photos.
    Approaching the bar.
    20180721_122857.jpg

20180721_122902.jpg
    There's a brave face there, she really was nervous. As I said the bar was fine but the sea outside was a mix of swell and waves at cross purposes. We maybe got out about half a mile and it just got too much for her so I figured we'd head back in but do you think I could get Redwing to tack. There was a problem with one of the lines to the mast but I couldn't leave the helm to sort it. The wind was S-SE and my plan was to reach into it and get south of the bar and then do a nice run back but it just didn't happen.
    Grabbed these from the Duranbah surfcam.
    Redwing crosses bar.jpg

returns to bar.jpg
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Just as well I decided to stop at a garage sale on my way to finish painting WB .
    Hard to believe someone would sell such a tool box for 20 dollars. They used to belong to a Vietnam Vet Carpenter thank you Sir , [IMG][/IMG]my crappy tools needed some decent replacements.
    Some people just have no idea.

Wow Tom, you did very well !!! Relatives do strange things with tools after the owner is gone. My grandfather in NZ was a carpenter joiner, when he died the family took all his tools to the tip.

A quote from him,"A man who can't build a spiral staircase should not call himself a carpenter joiner."
    Shudder.
    Grateful Dead

Wow Tom, you did very well !!! Relatives do strange things with tools after the owner is gone. My grandfather in NZ was a carpenter joiner, when he died the family took all his tools to the tip.

A quote from him,"A man who can't build a spiral staircase should not call himself a carpenter joiner."
    Shudder.
    In this case the tools where to be inherited by the sellers brother with no love lost between them. It was only my question about tools that produced them from a dark corner.

Nostalgia

The dog that never bit me. Good boy Woody

Where I was twelve months ago tomorrow. The last Southerly leg before turning right and bolting Westward for home. Sort of. "Keep Australia on the right and don't bump into anything."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Good memories for a very able gentleman !
    Grateful Dead

Good photos Bruce.

Excellent score Tom. Cleaning out and disposing of an estate is no fun. I can even understand Peters family just dumping the lot. Tragic though. Glad you saved that box of goodies. My brother and I between us still have some of mums stuff and she died quite a few years ago now. Nice memories there Bruce, and I bet you are also thinking of those hypothermic nights down in Bass Straight. Must be time to think about slapping something shiny on those cabin sides soon? I reckon if you me and Matt got stuck in it would be done in a weekend.

Nice adventuring on our thread today! Great!

Great score Tom!!

Rick

Speaking of adventures, I read a few reviews of mid range, mid priced MIG welders. All made in China of course. And all good until they are not, at which time they become landfill. A lot seem to have a 2 position switch rather than dials to adjust current and wire feed speed, which I understand to be the critical variables, along with no wind and a steady hand. So of course I went looking on Gumtree. I actually hardly ever buy anything new. But it's a bit of a worry because too often I buy something old that I don't know enough about and it turns out to be crap. Case in point I finally got my Singer sewing machine out of the box yesterday. It's all there including heaps of accessories, but the motor only manages to turn the thing over very, very slowly. It turns easily by hand, so I guess it's a dying motor or controller rather than clogged up mechanicals. So I guess it's off for a service which will cost 5 times what I paid for the machine. Anyway, today I'm picking up a huge chunk of a 3 phase MIG welder. The guy said I'll need a trailer. Didn't look that big in the gumtree ad but I suppose it must be quite a thing. I hope it works. He says it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Speaking of adventures, I read a few reviews of mid range, mid priced MIG welders. All made in China of course. And all good until they are not, at which time they become landfill. A lot seem to have a 2 position switch rather than dials to adjust current and wire feed speed, which I understand to be the critical variables, along with no wind and a steady hand. So of course I went looking on Gumtree. I actually hardly ever buy anything new. But it's a bit of a worry because too often I buy something old that I don't know enough about and it turns out to be crap. Case in point I finally got my Singer sewing machine out of the box yesterday. It's all there including heaps of accessories, but the motor only manages to turn the thing over very, very slowly. It turns easily by hand, so I guess it's a dying motor or controller rather than clogged up mechanicals. So I guess it's off for a service which will cost 5 times what I paid for the machine. Anyway, today I'm picking up a huge chunk of a 3 phase MIG welder. The guy said I'll need a trailer. Didn't look that big in the gumtree ad but I suppose it must be quite a thing. I hope it works. He says it does.
    Is it Russian?

Rick

Why I'm not game to show my face in here.....

Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

I dunno johnno, make quite a reasonable mooring filled with concrete…………...

Excellent score Tom. Cleaning out and disposing of an estate is no fun. I can even understand Peters family just dumping the lot. Tragic though. Glad you saved that box of goodies. My brother and I between us still have some of mums stuff and she died quite a few years ago now. Nice memories there Bruce, and I bet you are also thinking of those hypothermic nights down in Bass Straight. Must be time to think about slapping something shiny on those cabin sides soon? I reckon if you me and Matt got stuck in it would be done in a weekend.

Yes re the cabin sides. I'm trying to get enough spin on the motivation flywheel to get up and start on it.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Disgraceful John! But very nice and I'm jealous!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I dunno johnno, make quite a reasonable mooring filled with concrete…………...
    Sails just get in the way of the Qld sunshine ;-)
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

Which, of course, is one of their many advantages.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Nostalgia

The dog that never bit me. Good boy Woody

Where I was twelve months ago tomorrow. The last Southerly leg before turning right and bolting Westward for home. Sort of. "Keep Australia on the right and don't bump into anything."

Great trip and memories Bruce. I still don’t know how you managed to tow the inflatable all those miles.

I tried towing a zodiac from Key West to Havana only one time,never again.

Now that looks like a great commuter and fishing boat John.

Shudder.
    There's not many carpenters left

If its a good one she will weld beautifully, if not it will end up like your sewing machine costing more to fix than you paid for it. Good luck!

As I said to John elsewhere, that is masterfully tortured ply !
    Grateful Dead

Question. How do I fill out the box that automatically posts every time one posts? Like peters grateful dead one. Cheers

Well I picked up the welder and it's even bigger than I imagined. Huuuuuge. The guy selling it plugged it in and made it do welding so all good so far. If not it will make a magnificent mooring. In less happy news I got to the boat to find no 12 volt power. As far as I can tell my only sin was leaving 2 cabin lights on. I'd have thought my 200 watt solar panel should cope with that for the couple of weeks I've been away. Batteries are about 6 years old though so I suspect there's some bad news on that front. 4 big buggers. Lead acid. Oddly the solar panel was doing nothing but maybe like some car battery chargers the charge controller won't let it do anything unless it senses some power on the other side. Anyway have plugged into shore power to charge up and we will see what we will see.

Last edited by Phil Y; 07-22-2018 at 02:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geftb View Post
    Question. How do I fill out the box that automatically posts every time one posts? Like peters grateful dead one. Cheers
    It's in settings somewhere but you could ask Scot, the Admin. I've forgotten.
    Grateful Dead

Sounds like batteries to me.

Rick

6 years is a pretty impressive run for lead acid batteries. I had a pair of trojan t105s set up in my shed, they gave me about 5 years under pretty much ideal conditions the whole time.

Not what I want to hear but you are probably right.

I don't know if I mentioned how big this welder is.