Page 1230 of 1425 FirstFirst ... 230730113011801220122912301231124012801330 ... LastLast
Results 43,016 to 43,050 of 49854

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

  1. #43016
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    73,741

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Next week for NSW
    I find it confusing with appointments in Qld ....no daylight saving. Fortunately Carol always gets it right.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  2. #43017
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Melb, Vic, Aus
    Posts
    671

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    When I used to live on the boarder up there, if I had my phone set on automatic time it would show a different time depending on which tower it picked up. That was pre smart phones so it may be different now. Caught me out a few times before I figured it out though.

  3. #43018
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    62,775

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    I'm very pleased Grantulla has been saved Ian, you put so much into her and you, and she, deserve her to be restored. I do hope it works out. She still needs her machine gun back, even if it only fires potato pellets…….

  4. #43019
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,581

    Default

    I love daylight saving. Not sure when it starts here but must be soon


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #43020
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    62,775

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    This weekend coming down here I think, but I always operated on my own Daylight Saving time anyhow. You can get a lot done in an hour or two undisturbed in the mornings.

  6. #43021
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    32,121

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Next week for NSW
    I find it confusing with appointments in Qld ....no daylight saving. Fortunately Carol always gets it right.
    If you have to be in Tweed at 10am then leave at 10am...works for me. It use to confuse the hell out of me.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

  7. #43022
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    23,135

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    This weekend coming down here I think, but I always operated on my own Daylight Saving time anyhow. You can get a lot done in an hour or two undisturbed in the mornings.
    Exactly!

    Rick

  8. #43023
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    73,741

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Daylight saving time 2018 in New South Wales will begin at 2:00 am on! Sunday
    7 October


    and ends at 2:00 am on
    ! Sunday
    7 April 2019
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  9. #43024
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    62,775

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Exactly!

    Rick
    I once worked for a firm that was open 6am till 6pm. I had the early shift and was finished by 1.30pm. I got a lot of surfing, fishing, and sailing done for those 5 years. I also have worked afternoon shift, 6pm to 1am. Even better hours………for a single man who only needed 5-6 hours sleep.

  10. #43025
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    23,135

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    I used to try to go for a surf before work every day but daylight saving meant I had an hour less between dawn and work. Now it doesn't bother me except I still can't see why businesses etc. can't just open an hour earlier in Sumner if they want to. Changing the clocks seems childish to me.

    Rick

  11. #43026
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    73,741

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    It's a huge stuff up for businesses with NSW and Queensland offices. There are 2 hours of overlap when they can't talk to each other.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  12. #43027
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    62,775

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Way back, when international computer comms were new and rather delicate I kept a pillow and a blanket in the drawer of a filing cabinet for when we were trying to send a finished ad to our Houston partner for publication in the US. Often enough you'd need several tries over several hours to get it there. Overnights were not unusual.

  13. #43028
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,581

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Oh, so is that what buffering is. You put the pillow between two computers and drop a blanket over the whole thing.

  14. #43029
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    872

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    It's a huge stuff up for businesses with NSW and Queensland offices. There are 2 hours of overlap when they can't talk to each other.
    Most business are used to it and use commonsense practices to work around it. It also has its advantages when youre working across multiple timezones - I report into Singapore, so with DST in place i get at least three hours of relative peace to get stuff done before the calls and emails start rolling in from them. NZ is in step, but staff in Bangalore become nearly a full working day behind - 6.5 hours. Its a real PITA sometimes and can mess up your end of day..

  15. #43030
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    32,121

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Oh, so is that what buffering is. You put the pillow between two computers and drop a blanket over the whole thing.
    I was a bit slow on that one as I read your comment first Phil and it coloured how I interpreted Jeff's comment.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

  16. #43031
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    23,135

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    We access VAST TV which means we can watch ABC and SBS channels at 4 different times during DST so that's quite good for us.

    Rick

  17. #43032
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,581

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Isnt there some online thing to access abc and sbs shows anytime? I'm sure there is but our internet isn't quite up to it.

  18. #43033
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    32,121

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Isnt there some online thing to access abc and sbs shows anytime? I'm sure there is but our internet isn't quite up to it.
    ABC iView and SBS On Demand.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

  19. #43034
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    23,135

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    That's right but you can't access some shows until the next day, sort of, and it's a lot more hassle than just flicking through the channels. Hoooowever, we actually watch more series on SBS On Demand and Iview than we do on regular TV. SBS On Demand is awash with great drama series.

    Rick

  20. #43035
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, QLD
    Posts
    1,605

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    ... SBS On Demand is awash with great drama series.
    Phew... Finally a boat reference!

  21. #43036
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    23,135

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    A what?

    Rick

  22. #43037
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    23,135

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Here's a boat reference:

    IMG_20180924_091736.jpg

    Rick

  23. #43038
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    32,121

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    I’m off to the boat today to do a few measurements. Still on light duties so I think an element of socialising on other boats may be involved as well.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

  24. #43039
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    73,741

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    I'm taking my boat trailer off to start the registration process today.... progress!
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  25. #43040
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    23,135

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    I think y'all missed my boat reference.

    Rick

  26. #43041
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, QLD
    Posts
    1,605

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I think y'all missed my boat reference.

    Rick
    I noted the deck prism. It's lovely. :-)

  27. #43042
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    73,741

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I think y'all missed my boat reference.

    Rick
    No , I saw it and was floored ! or was that flawed ?
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  28. #43043
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, QLD
    Posts
    1,605

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    I'm going to miss a week!

    Yesterday arvo I hanked on Pixie's headsail, uncovered the main and topped the boom off its crutch and everything, then started the motor... and the motor didn't agree with my plans. It would only run at 'earsplitting' and then as soon as I reduced throttle it would die. Stupid thing.

    I went again today to check the state of play and retrieve the motor so I can fiddle with it at home. It started and ran kind of okay this time, but needed the choke for ages (it usually only needs choke for five seconds). I let it run at a fast idle for a few minutes. It seemed to be cooperating, so we moved Pixie around to another berth. They want her moved by mid next week so I figured I'd better try that while I had half a chance. It's two fingers over, and we had to go out into the opposing current (wind the same way) to get there, so it was motor or nothing.

    We nearly got there and the motor quit as soon as it dropped below a fast idle. I was half expecting this anyway, so we had enough way to just get in. I always drive in with only just steerage way, but I carried slightly more this time and it was exactly enough, which I am well pleased with.

    So I brought the motor back home. Grrr...

    I asked the motor guys (who had it for a service a few weeks ago) and they said these things are almost always fuel problems. So I just need to go through the rigmarole of checking the fuel, cleaning everything, checking all the filters, flushing the carby bowl, yadda yadda. Also they explain that there's a low revs fuel jet and a high revs fuel jet, so maybe if the low one is blocked it would explain the behaviour of the motor yesterday, though it was a bit better today. If the jets need cleaning then the carby has to come apart. I'll also add a good filter in the fuel line.

    I can't just keep taking the thing to the mechanic, so I'll have to suck it up and learn the first thing or two about two stroke outboards, while simultaneously plotting its deployment as an anchor.

  29. #43044
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,581

    Default

    Your mistake was obviously getting it serviced. Never a good idea.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  30. #43045
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, QLD
    Posts
    1,605

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    I know. I suspected that at the time. I wasn't quite quick enough to punch myself in the face and shout "STOP".

    Mind you, it had started mucking up already by then. I think the air in Mooloolaba doesn't agree with it.

  31. #43046
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Toodyay, Western Australia
    Posts
    1,214

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    It is trying to communicate with you... most likely it is saying 'Matt, Matt, you need a yuloh'.

  32. #43047
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, QLD
    Posts
    1,605

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Matt, Matt, why are you demanding I corrupt the appearance of this pretty boat?? I can't do it!!

  33. #43048
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    new zealand
    Posts
    4,609

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Two stroke motors, and their carburetors, are just about the simplest mechanical devices known to man. And potentially the most frustrating.
    If you remove the carby float bowl, both jets are usually visible. The mainjet and emulsion tube should just unscrew, but the idle jet may be pressed in. If you remove the idle mixture screw, count how many turns out, so it can go back in the same. With this removed, you can often blow any problematic crud out from the idle circuit.
    If you've never had one apart before, keep an eye on the float valve, when the float drops down - some are captive, but many are waiting for the first opportunity to fall out, and go whereever the lost things go.
    If this happens, I can guarantee you'll find it again two minutes after fitting it's replacement.
    The other thing, when you unscrew the cap where the throttle cable goes in (if you are taking the carb off the motor), it will come out with the throttle slide and metering needle attached - you shouldn't have to strip that assembly down any further. Just note that the slide will have a groove in it, so it can only go back into the body of the carb one way, which should require no force if correct.

    Pete
    Like a miracle, all the trolls disappeared

  34. #43049
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    32,121

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by MattSplatt View Post
    I'm going to miss a week!

    Yesterday arvo I hanked on Pixie's headsail, uncovered the main and topped the boom off its crutch and everything, then started the motor... and the motor didn't agree with my plans. It would only run at 'earsplitting' and then as soon as I reduced throttle it would die. Stupid thing.

    I went again today to check the state of play and retrieve the motor so I can fiddle with it at home. It started and ran kind of okay this time, but needed the choke for ages (it usually only needs choke for five seconds). I let it run at a fast idle for a few minutes. It seemed to be cooperating, so we moved Pixie around to another berth. They want her moved by mid next week so I figured I'd better try that while I had half a chance. It's two fingers over, and we had to go out into the opposing current (wind the same way) to get there, so it was motor or nothing.

    We nearly got there and the motor quit as soon as it dropped below a fast idle. I was half expecting this anyway, so we had enough way to just get in. I always drive in with only just steerage way, but I carried slightly more this time and it was exactly enough, which I am well pleased with.

    So I brought the motor back home. Grrr...

    I asked the motor guys (who had it for a service a few weeks ago) and they said these things are almost always fuel problems. So I just need to go through the rigmarole of checking the fuel, cleaning everything, checking all the filters, flushing the carby bowl, yadda yadda. Also they explain that there's a low revs fuel jet and a high revs fuel jet, so maybe if the low one is blocked it would explain the behaviour of the motor yesterday, though it was a bit better today. If the jets need cleaning then the carby has to come apart. I'll also add a good filter in the fuel line.

    I can't just keep taking the thing to the mechanic, so I'll have to suck it up and learn the first thing or two about two stroke outboards, while simultaneously plotting its deployment as an anchor.
    Check for moisture in the fuel bowl.
    Do you have the manual for it? If not go to the makers website and download the manual, it's usually a free download.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

  35. #43050
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, QLD
    Posts
    1,605

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Thank you Pete. I'll follow that along in the next couple of days.

    Gary, yep. That's the thing the local guys told me to check first, and they suggested if I find any moisture (or maybe regardless) I should add an inline filter and water trap in the hose. I have the manual.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •