Page 1228 of 1259 FirstFirst ... 2287281128117812181227122812291238 ... LastLast
Results 42,946 to 42,980 of 44049

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Or tools and materials

I don't know about the welders themselves, but my boy (apprentice diesel mechanic) was amazed at the difference using argon, instead of CO2 made, on the industrial strength welder they use for truck chassis repairs.
    The place he works at has just changed hands, and the new owners are happy to spend the $ for argon. He said with CO2, there was a lot of splatter and the weld pool was hard to control, but argon makes all those problems go away.
    My brother had one of the cheapie mig welders on CO2, and it was really carp. Makes me want to try it on argon, not an option now unfortunately.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

I should buy one but my 50 year old 130 amp Comweld stick won't stop working .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I have a couple of stick welders, but hoping to make less holes in thin stuff with MIG

A heat sink on the back of the thin stuff weld really helps.... a bit of heavy solid section.
    Grateful Dead

I've used an industrial type mig for welding new material into an old boat trailer. Very easy to get good welds. The welder was pretty massive, would likely need a crane to get it on the back of a ute. Also have done loads of gas welding. Used gas to build a new petrol tank, and lots of tubes for various structures. Gas is awesome for portability and not as expensive now that bunnings supplies oxy and acetylene. Despite success with these types, I can't create even a farmer quality weld with stick welder. Too unco when I can't see anything before getting the arc going, by which time I'm nowhere near where I wanted the weld.

Treating myself to some more episodes of Keep Turning Left.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Treating myself to some more episodes of Keep Turning Left.
    Highest download speed 1.2 mbs/sec, average is around 300-400 kbs/sec.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    I've used an industrial type mig for welding new material into an old boat trailer. Very easy to get good welds. The welder was pretty massive, would likely need a crane to get it on the back of a ute. Also have done loads of gas welding. Used gas to build a new petrol tank, and lots of tubes for various structures. Gas is awesome for portability and not as expensive now that bunnings supplies oxy and acetylene. Despite success with these types, I can't create even a farmer quality weld with stick welder. Too unco when I can't see anything before getting the arc going, by which time I'm nowhere near where I wanted the weld.
    Try an auto darkening helmet. I've just bought one.
    Grateful Dead

i've got a small gas/gasless mig, i've never had much success running it with gas, i think because i always use it outside and there's too much airflow. I'm a shocking welder, but the auto-darkening helmets definitely make a big difference in ease of use,

Hi Phil. I have done about 8 years of structural welding when I used to live in Darwin. 99% stick welding. I bought a mig welder a couple of years ago. Its a great little welder. It its not the inverter type so weighs probably 45 kgs which makes it awkward to move around. Yeah, I need to build a trolley. I like the stick for its simplicity, point and shoot kinda thing. The mig always seems to have something going wrong with it. Tips clog up, gas runs out, had trigger problems so it's definitely not the point and shoot type. Saying that I've used it heaps for the thin stuff and its great when working well. I think if your looking in the $500 range your going to do fine. And definitely get an auto darkening helmet. One thing I have noticed is the mig is a LOT hotter so you get welding burn on your arms very quickly if not covered up. I'm even thinking of getting a leather vest to cut the radiation down on the torso. Cheers Steve

Also, fine adjustments can make a big difference in your results. So you need to tune it on some scrap. Gas pressure, wire speed and amps. Get them all just right and it welds itself

Thanks Steve, and others. This being a wooden boat forum, I suppose you will knock up a nice little trolley out of wood. Will you use ply for the base or maybe strip plank it? Pelagos, what size/price is your welder? I'm wondering if those are to some extent issues with the smallest of the breed.

Brrrr...back to winter. Got about 8 trees coming down tomorrow so that will increase our winter sun hours...though not in the mornings. I'd have to remove the ridge line for that.

Question maybe for Steve, but anyone who has relevant (in)experience. Like others, I am a really bad stick welder. I don't do it enough to develop any fluency. So it's lumpy and bumpy, I blow holes in what I'm welding. Sometimes I do a lovely run of welding and when I take the helmet off and look, the weld is all on one piece of the metal I'd hoped to join together. Am I going to do better with a MIG?

Mig is heaps easier. Its going to take some practice to tune it though. If its not melting together with the greatest of ease your tuning is wrong. Wire speed to fast/slow temperature to hot/cold.
    Definitely stip plank. I've got the ceder already

Same with the stick welding. Right size rods for the materials right amps and then practice. Just more of it with the stick.

I have an ancient stick arc welder, I actually read up some of the theory in a manual for apprentices.
    That and practice just to get your hand/eye coordination right. (My welds are still lumpy however…………)

Quote Originally Posted by Geftb View Post
    Mig is heaps easier. Its going to take some practice to tune it though. If its not melting together with the greatest of ease your tuning is wrong. Wire speed to fast/slow temperature to hot/cold.

You'll need to use a trunnell to fix the strips to the gunnell, it will keep the wooden purists in their seats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Same with the stick welding. Right size rods for the materials right amps and then practice. Just more of it with the stick.
    Down hand and vertical ups are easy but overheads are beyond me.
    Grateful Dead

Perfect, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Down hand and vertical ups are easy but overheads are beyond me.
    Its probably to hot

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I have an ancient stick arc welder, I actually read up some of the theory in a manual for apprentices.
    That and practice just to get your hand/eye coordination right. (My welds are still lumpy however…………)
    if your Amps are right and its still lumpy its the speed at which your laying it down. I just keep a nice little pool going behind the stick. You could just practice going faster and then slower, pull the stick in and out, You will see where it wants to be...
    in a nice state of flow, its pretty forgiving once you get the hang of it.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    You'll need to use a trunnell to fix the strips to the gunnell, it will keep the wooden purists in their seats.
    i had to google trunnell

if your Amps are right and its still lumpy its the speed at which your laying it down. I just keep a nice little pool going behind the stick. You could just practice going faster and then slower, pull the stick in and out, You will see where it wants to be...
    A bit like oxy acetylene .
    Grateful Dead

Once you get the hang of it. My problem is I might do a 6 inch run of welding once every 6 months or a year. Usually on rusty dirty steel in a difficult position. And probably in a hurry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Once you get the hang of it. My problem is I might do a 6 inch run of welding once every 6 months or a year. Usually on rusty dirty steel in a difficult position. And probably in a hurry.
    Yeah, that can be a propblem.
    Years ago I landed a job laboring for an Italian steel worker In Darwin. I asked how to weld and he said "you just stick the two bits of steel together".
    Every lunch time I would scoff my lunch and grab his helmet and spend 20 mins each day (the rest of my lunch time) welding bits of scrap. A couple of weeks later he said, "you better go buy yourself a helmet, he started giving me little welding jobs and I got the hang of it.
    20 mins a day for a couple of weeks and you will be stickin bits of steel together for sure

Im not sure what you mean Peter?

A bit like oxy acetylene .
    Oh, with the pool you mean? Yeah definitely.

We dropped around 8 trees today. Really increased the sunlight on the panels and I can see so much more night sky.
    20180709_103335.jpg

20180709_103753.jpg
    He had to go up this one and remove some of the downhill weight.
    20180709_112108.jpg

20180709_112211.jpg
    And one of the house.
    20180709_111446.jpg

What type of trees are they?

The white trunks are probably e. grandis, flooded gum.

Is that Loz climbing Gary ?
    Grateful Dead

My place is covered in wandoo, kind of similar bark to Gary's trees, but Gary's lot look to be seriously big... whatever they are. Is flooded gum usable for anything boatish?

The white trunks are probably e. grandis, flooded gum.

Is that Loz climbing Gary ?
    Yes it is Loz and isn’t he bloody good at, every tree where we wanted it, of course the chain block helped. Love the sling shot he uses to get a line up high.
    the trees are blue gums. I put a video on Facebook of dropping the big one. Turn up the volume for full effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    My place is covered in wandoo, kind of similar bark to Gary's trees, but Gary's lot look to be seriously big... whatever they are. Is flooded gum usable for anything boatish?
    I built Redwing out of Flooded gum, it will rot if fresh water gets into it.

Your experience has prompted me to be ultra vigilant sealing everything in sight (and out of sight) with about a thousand coats of epoxy. Hopefully keeps the rot at bay.