Page 1217 of 1269 FirstFirst ... 21771711171167120712161217121812271267 ... LastLast
Results 42,561 to 42,595 of 44391

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Does that say Pompei on the beam?
    yep. This old fellas workshop http://pompeismarine.com/est1914/jac...at-mordialloc/

A TREASURE CHEST OF OLD TOOLS, MACHINES, TIMBER, HARDWARE & MISCELLANEOUS ITEMS, TIMBER BOAT HULLS, BOAT BUILDERS HARDWARE, SPARE PARTS & COMPONENTRY, APPROX 30 CUBIC METERS OF SPECIALTY TIMBERS INCLUDING HUON PINE, NEW ZEALAND KAURI, CELERY TOP, QLD BEECH, KAPUR, OREGAN, REDGUM & WA KARRI, PERIOD, ANTIQUE & COLLECTABLE FURNITURE, INDUSTRIAL FURNITURE, SOLID TIMBER BOAT BUILDER'S WORKSHOP, ENGINEERING WORKSHOP, LARGE RANGE OF POWER TOOLS, VINTAGE WORKSHOP INDUSTRIAL ITEMS & MUCH MORE

I will be there!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Yes...
    561 Main Street, Mordialloc

Just as well its in Melbourne.
    There is so much stuff there I didn't realise that I needed 😉

https://www.gollantauctions.com.au/copy-of-18-june-2018.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sunset at Mallabula

Mallabula sunset.jpg

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Make a trunnel and find a use for it on the boat, and you're good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to build a stern hatch with a bright finished cover - I'll shove some of them in there!

Quote Originally Posted by Geftb View Post
    yep. This old fellas workshop http://pompeismarine.com/est1914/jac...at-mordialloc/

A TREASURE CHEST OF OLD TOOLS, MACHINES, TIMBER, HARDWARE & MISCELLANEOUS ITEMS, TIMBER BOAT HULLS, BOAT BUILDERS HARDWARE, SPARE PARTS & COMPONENTRY, APPROX 30 CUBIC METERS OF SPECIALTY TIMBERS INCLUDING HUON PINE, NEW ZEALAND KAURI, CELERY TOP, QLD BEECH, KAPUR, OREGAN, REDGUM & WA KARRI, PERIOD, ANTIQUE & COLLECTABLE FURNITURE, INDUSTRIAL FURNITURE, SOLID TIMBER BOAT BUILDER'S WORKSHOP, ENGINEERING WORKSHOP, LARGE RANGE OF POWER TOOLS, VINTAGE WORKSHOP INDUSTRIAL ITEMS & MUCH MORE

I will be there!!!
    What a fantastic collection of photos on that site! Thanks!

Rick

Ian's piks of the trawler reminded me of the Denison K tow we did. 80 tonne towed by 5 tonne.
    20170218_161322.jpg

20170218_162203.jpg

20170218_173001.jpg

Coming around the corner at the Ivory Marina was a masterly piece of boat handling by our female skipper.
    20170218_173945.jpg
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Racing with PSYC? Our friend David sails on Saturdays - I can't remember the name of the boat. I'll keep an eye out for you when the wind's west as they set a course around the marine reserve buoy just off our place at Mallabula. Wednesday races always follow the same course, east of Soldiers Pt. Oooooone day, I'll have our Folkboat set up again and I'll take it in Wednesday races (no spinnakers etc.). Where are you sailboarding?

Rick
    The Folkie would fit in well with the Wednesday fleet, which is chock full of Hood 23s but has a lovely Herreshoff Rosinante leading the way much of the time. I met the boatbuilder who owns the Ros and he was shocked to meet someone who knew what it was - he'd love to have another wooden boat there.

We'll be racing occasionally, but mostly cruising.

At the moment the windsurfing is normally on a 12.5 acre dam just outside Armidale. It lends new meaning to the word "gusty" but at least it's water, and since I now mainly sail the original Windsurfer longboard it's doable. I scared a platypus the other day, which is a first.

There's actually some good sailing on the main reservoir but you can't sail unless there's a rescue boat out, and that only happens when we're racing, which normally means Lasers. When we move to the acreage we'll have a deep pond on the creek at the bottom to sail on, and also I'll be able to get down to the coast more since the dogs won't get bored and tear up the rented house.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    The Folkie would fit in well with the Wednesday fleet, which is chock full of Hood 23s but has a lovely Herreshoff Rosinante leading the way much of the time. I met the boatbuilder who owns the Ros and he was shocked to meet someone who knew what it was - he'd love to have another wooden boat there.

We'll be racing occasionally, but mostly cruising.

At the moment the windsurfing is normally on a 12.5 acre dam just outside Armidale. It lends new meaning to the word "gusty" but at least it's water, and since I now mainly sail the original Windsurfer longboard it's doable. I scared a platypus the other day, which is a first.

There's actually some good sailing on the main reservoir but you can't sail unless there's a rescue boat out, and that only happens when we're racing, which normally means Lasers. When we move to the acreage we'll have a deep pond on the creek at the bottom to sail on, and also I'll be able to get down to the coast more since the dogs won't get bored and tear up the rented house.
    I know the Rosi and the owner. We're actually invited for a ride when we can arrange it. Yes, I'm really looking forward to getting Pipsqueak up and running again - if only we didn't have these damned houses!@!

Rick

What a fantastic collection of photos on that site! Thanks!

Rick
    Just love the lines on this one.
    5zirue.jpg
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

YUM!!!
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

IMG20180529123311.jpg

Ha ha.... I told her to stay still.

Lunch on the Newcastle waterfront. Very nice.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Can you print with the kind of industrial wax used for lost wax (investment ) casting ?
    It exists in a filament form suitable to use, like a roll of wire, but i don't have any, but the PLA apparently melts/burns out of plaster moulds at 1000c so if you have a kiln then you can pre-bake the mould prior to casting and it seems to have a good result. It's something i'd like to try, but don't have the setup for casting. the highest quality i can print still has 0.1 mm layers, so there's small contour lines on the surfaces

I haven't been able to use my foundry for metal melting for ages, pre brain cancer actually . I tried it a few weeks ago and the propane burner just wouldn't burn properly. It would pop and whistle then blow itself out.

Weeks of trying to work out what was wrong and today I finally solved the puzzle! The burner has a ''bell'' on the output end which had almost completely corroded away. I didn't know it was such an essential part of the thing.

I modified a galvanised plumbing reducer and Hey Presto! I have a working burner again! I want to cast a few bits for JIM.
    I'm hoping for a class

Rick
    Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Second .
    Me third!

I've decided to keep the resto of Looe simple now (post prang) and will use much of the hardware (winches and Genoa furler) instead of going for a wiz-bang winchless rerig. I doubt the old girl will be club raced and we'd be more likely to go for nice little cruises in her with the enclosed cabin.

I was about to start work on her again just before I went over and broke myself!

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    One for Duncan.
    Looks like junk!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Quote Originally Posted by pelagos View Post
    It exists in a filament form suitable to use, like a roll of wire, but i don't have any, but the PLA apparently melts/burns out of plaster moulds at 1000c so if you have a kiln then you can pre-bake the mould prior to casting and it seems to have a good result. It's something i'd like to try, but don't have the setup for casting. the highest quality i can print still has 0.1 mm layers, so there's small contour lines on the surfaces
    The winch bases on Merlin (docked at Seaworks in Williamstown) were cast this way.

(Hey! Look at that! Picturetrail have kindly not wiped my photos even though I haven't paid my dues! )
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Keeping looe simple sounds like a good plan. You must have knocked your head or something and lost a bit of crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    Me third!

I've decided to keep the resto of Looe simple now (post prang) and will use much of the hardware (winches and Genoa furler) instead of going for a wiz-bang winchless rerig. I doubt the old girl will be club raced and we'd be more likely to go for nice little cruises in her with the enclosed cabin.

I was about to start work on her again just before I went over and broke myself!
    Good plan where will you keep her.

A good day today I got just about everything I had planned.

How did those curves turn out Gary ?
    Grateful Dead

How did those curves turn out Gary ?
    I'm happy with them, I put up some photos on the Redwing thread.

Nothing nautical happening here, it's cold but we are 50% down on rainfall so far this year.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Nothing nautical happening here, it's cold but we are 50% down on rainfall so far this year.
    The Wet didn’t happen this year but we are getting dribs and drabs to keep things green.

I'm just waiting. Waiting for my heater to arrive. Waiting for Bruce to launch his little expedition yacht.

The Wet didn’t happen this year but we are getting dribs and drabs to keep things green.
    Yes, quite dry by North Coast standards but Jeff would like what we've had.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Keeping looe simple sounds like a good plan. You must have knocked your head or something and lost a bit of crazy.
    It was that sod of grass I ate just before the mower smashed my leg I reckon.

Still want to get some good sheaves though.

More likely, the prospect of not getting Looe finished is weighing on me. I've got at least another six months before I'm mobile enough to clamber about inside her to sand, replace frames, lift things and other strenuous activities. Plus we may move from here... maybe...
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Pretty as she is, she's an old boat, old wood and needs a ton of work. There are many, far more practical, boats that would suit where you live and give you a lot more sailing time, and options. Treat Looe as a great learning experience and use all that time and money and space for a boat that'll give you a lot more enjoyment. Just my opinion. Dragons are nice but they really belong in sailing clubs in sheltered waters where there's a crane to lift them in and out of the water on race days.

Rick

Coffee, check
    popcorn, check.
    waits......

What Rick said. I bought a dragon which had been in a shed for 15 or 20 years. It was on a trolley and just down the road which was nice. I dragged it home with my tractor. Cleaned out all the mouse and rat poo. Painted it. Took some photos. Got a job in PNG. Sold it for a few hundred dollars more than I paid for it. I didnt remove any timber from it. What really bothered me was when scarfs in the planks started letting go after a few rains. It was going to be a lifetime of work for a boat that looks nice but was never going to replace the Tumlaren of my younger days, not would it replace my younger days come to that. I think that was the best outcome possible.

Planning to move - maybe?? from paradise? from that bbbeeeeeaaaaa yootiful house?

Say it isn't so.

Oh yeah, Looe - your decisions will be the right ones. Trust yourself to make them.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

More likely, the prospect of not getting Looe finished is weighing on me. I've got at least another six months before I'm mobile enough to clamber about inside her to sand, replace frames, lift things and other strenuous activities. Plus we may move from here... maybe...
    Will you stay in the area?

Two days of first aid training coming up with lots of scenarios to practice on...yay. Note lack of smiley.

I understand Duncan, Looe is a lovely hull but there's a lot of work to be done.... I'd always wondered if a heretic like me could make a good wee cruising boat from her? If you need a hand sing out.

As for letting things go, life changes. I disassembled the big boat I was working on when Ellee had her stroke and realise even Kathleen Gee isn't viable with my family situation. A bugger, but true.
    Grateful Dead

A move will be generally regretted !
    Grateful Dead

Might keep Languishing Heights, rent it out, and rent, or buy a Pied--terre in Brizzy.... Maybe...
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93