Page 1216 of 1287 FirstFirst ... 21671611161166120612151216121712261266 ... LastLast
Results 42,526 to 42,560 of 45016

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Just went to the cinema and saw Breath. Fantastic. Highly reccomended. Best film I've seen in a long, long while. Poignant, funny, suspenseful, intricate, great cinematography, original, intriguing, really, really good. Don't miss it.
    I thought it was fantastic too. Have you read the book? Also fantastic.

Rick

I haven't read the book. Felicity has, she says it was one of those very rare occasions when the film is actually better than the book.

The book focuses a lot more on the surfing. Maybe you need a background in surfing to enjoy it as much as I did. I expected to be disappointed by the film but I really loved it. I'd strongly recommend the book.

Rick

Yes, I'm looking forward to reading it. It's a shame the film will never go anywhere near even the crappiest Hollywood block buster.

People pay good money to have that sort of fun Gary
    Laying here in bed and the body still feels like itís rocking and rolling.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Just remember that stanchions and pulpits etc. get leaned on, a lot, and the leverage is against the fixing point. As the base rocks, it opens up the seam so you must have flexible sealant at the surface and a way for moisture to escape if it does get in. That's why it's best to have the bases through-bolted with good backing. Also, as the fitting rocks, it depresses the surface and backing so you need to tighten it up now and again. You can't do that if it's anchored in epoxy. If you're worried about running holes through a beam shelf or deck beam, you have a couple of options. One is to fasten blocks to the side if the beam and fasten the fitting to those. The other is to use thinner bolts.

Rick
    Only the the bolts will be anchored in epoxy. It will be exactly the same as if it were through bolted. There will be a good layer of butyl mastic between the base plates and deck. Iím also using spring washers and nyloc nuts.

I was doing my usual interweb perusal of various boat selling sites and saw this nice looking Hartley. Looks well-bulit, but when i look at the photos i see an automotive automatic transmission installed on the business end of a Rover V8.
    Output then goes thru a v-drive, so the lack of a thrust bearing in the tranny isn't a problem, but then what do you do with 4 forward gears if you dont have an adjustable pitch prop?? Perhaps you can lock out all but the most suitable ratio and use it as a normal reduction gearbox.

It's a rover engine. The tranny will be the least of his problems.

It's a rover engine. The tranny will be the least of his problems.
    Once bitten??
    So long as the Lucas electrics are gone it shouldn't be too bad.

Once. Yeah right. I've had about 5 minis, 6 Morris minors, 2 triumphs, a Range Rover, 2 of those 1960s 3 litres Rovers, a Mk 7 Jaguar, 2 Wolseley 4/44s and an MGB. You'd think I'd learn that the Brits can't build cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aw commmmme on, that little Buick engine is one of the great motors . I'd have one like a shot.

OK, Im agreeing with John, i had an MGB with that engine once.
    But thats beside the point - why an auto transmission in a boat?? Someone please enlighten me.

I haven't had the wood boats afloat for ages. They are going to be projects for a long time. However, apart from windsurfing and Laser sailing we've been having some lovely weekends on Port Stephens in the J/36 which has a balsa core, so maybe it counts in a way..... hey, balsa's a wood. We also had our first race since tuning the rig for the new (well, new to us) carbon short overlap #1 headsail. She went really well; I took an extra tack over the layline because I was worried about shallow water, which may have cost us the fastest time/handicap double.

Under this or the furling cruising sail we can go from zero to 20 knots ++ quite comfortably, just by pulling on a couple of lines by handing and easing a couple more by hand. That old carbon sail has a few holes in the mylar, but the string technology means they don't spread. The mylar taffeta on the cruising jib is similar and although it needs a leech recut it's in damned good shape for something that was made in the USA before the boat sailed out from New York. I love the way these sails last and hold their shape, both over the years and over the wind range.

jembe under sail.jpg

We're still besotted with the boat; lots of fun to sail and simple above and below decks, but with a nice if unspectacular wooden interior.

I still miss the wild feeling of Batemans Bay, but Port Stephens is beautiful and very easy to sail on.
    Last edited by Chris249; 05-28-2018 at 02:55 AM.

That's definitely a wooden boat, just glass sheathed.

Make a trunnel and find a use for it on the boat, and you're good.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Only the the bolts will be anchored in epoxy. It will be exactly the same as if it were through bolted. There will be a good layer of butyl mastic between the base plates and deck. I’m also using spring washers and nyloc nuts.
    So you'll have the bolts upside down, glued in like studs?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    I haven't had the wood boats afloat for ages. They are going to be projects for a long time. However, apart from windsurfing and Laser sailing we've been having some lovely weekends on Port Stephens in the J/36 which has a balsa core, so maybe it counts in a way..... hey, balsa's a wood. We also had our first race since tuning the rig for the new (well, new to us) carbon short overlap #1 headsail. She went really well; I took an extra tack over the layline because I was worried about shallow water, which may have cost us the fastest time/handicap double.

Under this or the furling cruising sail we can go from zero to 20 knots ++ quite comfortably, just by pulling on a couple of lines by handing and easing a couple more by hand. That old carbon sail has a few holes in the mylar, but the string technology means they don't spread. The mylar taffeta on the cruising jib is similar and although it needs a leech recut it's in damned good shape for something that was made in the USA before the boat sailed out from New York. I love the way these sails last and hold their shape, both over the years and over the wind range.

jembe under sail.jpg

We're still besotted with the boat; lots of fun to sail and simple above and below decks, but with a nice if unspectacular wooden interior.

I still miss the wild feeling of Batemans Bay, but Port Stephens is beautiful and very easy to sail on.
    Racing with PSYC? Our friend David sails on Saturdays - I can't remember the name of the boat. I'll keep an eye out for you when the wind's west as they set a course around the marine reserve buoy just off our place at Mallabula. Wednesday races always follow the same course, east of Soldiers Pt. Oooooone day, I'll have our Folkboat set up again and I'll take it in Wednesday races (no spinnakers etc.). Where are you sailboarding?

Rick

I haven't been able to use my foundry for metal melting for ages, pre brain cancer actually . I tried it a few weeks ago and the propane burner just wouldn't burn properly. It would pop and whistle then blow itself out.

Weeks of trying to work out what was wrong and today I finally solved the puzzle! The burner has a ''bell'' on the output end which had almost completely corroded away. I didn't know it was such an essential part of the thing.

I modified a galvanised plumbing reducer and Hey Presto! I have a working burner again! I want to cast a few bits for JIM.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

So you'll have the bolts upside down, glued in like studs?

Rick
    Exackerly.

Oh well... auto trannies, junk rigs, etc. Here's another shot of that steelie.

That was Saturday evening, outside out motel in Batemans Bay. Trip away on the bikes... 20 people, 14 bikes.

Tonight's sunset was over Lake Macquarie... absolutely beautiful.. but I didn't take a photo. Off to do my bit for the cause tomorrow. My tally stands at $96 million into the hobby so far.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Once. Yeah right. I've had about 5 minis, 6 Morris minors, 2 triumphs, a Range Rover, 2 of those 1960s 3 litres Rovers, a Mk 7 Jaguar, 2 Wolseley 4/44s and an MGB. You'd think I'd learn that the Brits can't build cars.

You're obviously a very thorough researcher is all.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I haven't been able to use my foundry for metal melting for ages, pre brain cancer actually . I tried it a few weeks ago and the propane burner just wouldn't burn properly. It would pop and whistle then blow itself out.

Weeks of trying to work out what was wrong and today I finally solved the puzzle! The burner has a ''bell'' on the output end which had almost completely corroded away. I didn't know it was such an essential part of the thing.

I modified a galvanised plumbing reducer and Hey Presto! I have a working burner again! I want to cast a few bits for JIM.
    fantastic news!!! Can't wait to see the how's and whys leading to the result!!

Looking forward to that Peter, I think some new threads?

I'm hoping for a class

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
    I was doing my usual interweb perusal of various boat selling sites and saw this nice looking Hartley. Looks well-bulit, but when i look at the photos i see an automotive automatic transmission installed on the business end of a Rover V8.
    Output then goes thru a v-drive, so the lack of a thrust bearing in the tranny isn't a problem, but then what do you do with 4 forward gears if you dont have an adjustable pitch prop?? Perhaps you can lock out all but the most suitable ratio and use it as a normal reduction gearbox.
    When you check the price and weight of a marine gearbox that would be suitable for that motor, the auto trans begins to make sense, particularly with a Vdrive setup.

I think you are correct in surmising that the unwanted ratios would be locked out , not that hard to do on a relatively simple trans like that.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Cars are the same . Some electric conversions its easier and economic to just leave the gearbox and clutch in there. They can take off in top OK but one guy would drive in third for fun or for slower traffic. I'd imagine its the same for automatic.

I'm hoping for a class

Rick
    Second .

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I want to cast a few bits for JIM.
    If you have access to a kiln and want to try the lost PLA casting method, I have a 3d printer that doesn't get used enough and will happily print off some smaller parts that would be difficult to model for casting, hollow stuff etc.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/1185...utm_source=sms

sounds like an old boat shop auction. June 13th

I can report that the new loo flushes with far more enthusiasm than I recall the old one ever doing, even in its youth.

And I think I have worked out where to install the new heater which is on its way. Not quite where I had been thinking but a good solution. It's surprisingly tricky to get the heat where I want it, the heater where it's invisible, accessible and out of the way, and the exhaust where it's not too long and won't do any damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Geftb View Post
    https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/1185...utm_source=sms

sounds like an old boat shop auction. June 13th
    Does that say Pompei on the beam?
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Does that say Pompei on the beam?
    Yes...
    561 Main Street, Mordialloc
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by pelagos View Post
    If you have access to a kiln and want to try the lost PLA casting method, I have a 3d printer that doesn't get used enough and will happily print off some smaller parts that would be difficult to model for casting, hollow stuff etc.
    Can you print with the kind of industrial wax used for lost wax (investment ) casting ?
    Grateful Dead