Page 1212 of 1317 FirstFirst ... 212712111211621202121112121213122212621312 ... LastLast
Results 42,386 to 42,420 of 46086

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Interesting I just came across her last night and was toying with the idea of having a closer look this weekend. Bruce. was she for sale up at Magnetic Island.?
    Po box 553 yamba nsw 2464
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Interesting I just came across her last night and was toying with the idea of having a closer look this weekend. Bruce. was she for sale up at Magnetic Island.?
    Yes, quite a while ago now. The photos then showed a sound boat that needed sprucing up, but you never know until you go look, old photos are cheap. She may have been in a poor state then. Now she looks like a lot of work is needed, not a spruce up but a restoration. Underneath it all though is a beautiful Woollacott. She now desperately needs a new custodian with deep pockets and lots of time.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Yes, quite a while ago now. The photos then showed a sound boat that needed sprucing up, but you never know until you go look, old photos are cheap. She may have been in a poor state then. Now she looks like a lot of work is needed, not a spruce up but a restoration. Underneath it all though is a beautiful Woollacott. She now desperately needs a new custodian with deep pockets and lots of time.
    Time I will have more of soon ,however the deep pockets are full of holes as a boat owner.

I am waiting for a call back from Graham who manages the yard, that will give me a better idea of price flexibility and of wether a trip down the coast is worthwhile .She does look somewhat hogged in one of her pictures.

Well done that is a lot of hole digging and planting. What species did you plant.?
    A whole lot of local native varieties. Mix of tall trees and understory.

Time I will have more of soon ,however the deep pockets are full of holes as a boat owner.

I am waiting for a call back from Graham who manages the yard, that will give me a better idea of price flexibility and of wether a trip down the coast is worthwhile .She does look somewhat hogged in one of her pictures.
    I thought you already had a boat?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    A whole lot of local native varieties. Mix of tall trees and understory.
    Sounds good! A proper multicultural grove!

Rick

I thought you already had a boat?
    We need a bigger boat!!

We need a bigger boat!!
    Of course. Can't argue with that.

Been shopping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Out with old and a bit of a scrub

And in with the new

There was just a bit of crevice corrosion in 2 of the 5 bolts which hold it down. Caused by failed sealant I think. It was probably Sika something. This time I've used butyl tape.

Sh*tty bolts!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

316? I've seen some horrible crevice corrosion on 316.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Piss weak, I'd say.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Hey Dunc. Good to to see you mate. How's things?

Piss weak, I'd say.

Yeah I think urine to something there.

Yeah I think urine to something there.

Seeing that photo reminded me that I meant to tell you ages ago that the kneeler step could do with a padded block to save the kneecaps of the penitent, and to raise the tackle to a more suitable position vis-a-vis the waterline.

Paperback E-book

I agree about the comfort factor, although the height is about right for me.

Rick, still around. Had to stop work on the mast for a while. I was thinking that I would have till October to get the mast up and some other work done on Ghost before the registrations opened for the WBS in Hobart. When I realised that the registrations opened in May and that I would have to plead my case with a as yet unfinished boat, I came to the realisation that I am so sick of deadlines with this boat, that I will do what I want and when I want. The whole time with this boat has been deadlines on slips or in sheds, working on into the night under leaky tarps (cue violins), etc. So, Hobart for 2019 is highly unlikely and I don't like the idea of asking/begging and working to another deadline. Have decided to do some sewing which I'm really enjoying. Made a couple of shirts, a Star Wars one for Christian, a nice warm jackoat, a 1920s newsboy hat, a backpack with some useful features, working on a long coat now. Will get back to the mast in a few weeks, just needed a break. How's the engine installation going? Hull speed at a litre an hour in complete silence? I wish. The Perkins 4107 in Ghost was good in many ways but noisy! Did a weekend metal working course with Pete Tomassini recently, interesting but a struggle for me to be so brutal with thin metal, I felt sorry for the molecules, but he really knows his stuff, internationally recognised! Cheers for now
    the invisible man........

I've eschewed all deadlines on the room I'm building on the house. It means it's taking a long time, but also that I'm enjoying it when I do it, and it never becomes a chore. If I dont feel like working on it for a while I don't. Felicity is incredibly patient. It will be finished when it's done.

Engine's on hold while I get some more building done. Like you, I refuse to impose deadlines on boat work. I applaud your attitude! I do hope to do some work on the engine beds this week though and I've promised David I'll help with some sanding on his boat.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    I've been suffering with sinus pain for months. Never had it before.
    Turns out its a cracked tooth. Doesn't even show in an x-ray.
    Crown in a couple of weeks time.
    Talking with a friend about dental work yesterday. She's needing to borrow money to get dental work done. I suggested, if time isn't an issue (it is with her), that it's worth getting done overseas. I've had two lots of dental work (root canals) done in Chiang Mai at the Ram Hospital

https://www.medigo.com/en-au/clinic/...-53bd12e8bdfd4

The second lot, I seem to recall cost me a total of US$ 128 or so for three sessions - including x rays. The final two sessions were done in Oz, costing $2,500.

The dentist who does my work is brilliant - a Thai woman in her 50's. Masters degree from the USA. Tiny hands.

Bonus is you get a holiday as well. I'd offer you the use of my apartment and a motorbike.... but there's already three people there, so you'd have to share a bed.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Boat content. Two-shot pana of Lookout Bay, in the Hawkesbury, taken from the Parsley Bay breakwater, at Brooklyn

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

And one more on teeth. I uploaded a couple of hundred more pics from Ban Pindong in southern Laos. This is the village that helped me out when I drowned the bike in a river. I couldn't help noticing how bad the inhabitants teeth were... and the effects of inbreeding.

Same lady... half her teeth are just rotten. I've seen worse... but, there were so many like her in this village.

Speaking of deadlines, well delay and procrastination. It's a good thing. I started looking at diesel heaters for the boat years ago. The choices were eberspacher or webasto, either could be had for around $3500. Out of my league. There were used ones out of postal vans in the UK for about $1000. Tempting, but they'd have had a hard life I reckon. A couple of years ago I looked again, and there was a company in Tasmania importing Chinese eberspacher copies, for about $800. Nice, pretty much ready to go with one of those. I looked again today, now there's a gazzillion eBay sellers knocking them out for around $300. If I hadn't bought a new crapper yesterday I'd have hit Buy It Now. As it is I think I will wait a week.

Should be able to get one here. Our diesel X5 has one

What are the reasons for diesel over wood heater Phil? I have heard diesel gives off condensation where as wood dries the boat better???

I've not heard that about diesel heaters, and can't really see how it can be so, where they have a dedicated combustion air intake, and exhaust, so that all that goes on inside the boats atmosphere is some metal gets hot and air is blown over it. Why diesel not wood? It's clean, instant, reliable, easy. Just set the desired temperature and away it goes, all day and all night if you like, at anchor or underway. We use wood at home. It's messy in terms of storing wood outside, that days needs inside, clearing out ash, and it requires tending. A tiny wood stove on a boat must require tending a lot. Finally, a diesel heater will fit in unused space in the engine compartment, or a locker, whereas a wood stove would use valuable cabin space. Oh and we can also pipe heated air from a diesel heater down to the aft cabin quite easily. And we have lots of diesel onboard.

Sold

[QUOTE=Phil Y;5565771]I've not heard that about diesel heaters, and can't really see how it can be so, where they have a dedicated combustion air intake, and exhaust, so that all that goes on inside the boats atmosphere is some metal gets hot and air is blown over it. Why diesel not wood? It's clean, instant, reliable, easy. Just set the desired temperature and away it goes, all day and all night if you like, at anchor or underway. We use wood at home. It's messy in terms of storing wood outside, that days needs inside, clearing out ash, and it requires tending. A tiny wood stove on a boat must require tending a lot. Finally, a diesel heater will fit in unused space in the engine compartment, or a locker, whereas a wood stove would use valuable cabin space. Oh and we can also pipe heated air from a diesel heater down to the aft cabin quite easily. And we have lots of diesel onboard

I would recommend a North American diesel heater such as Newport Dickonson gravity fed diesel heater ,they are small attractive stainless unit that needs to be mounted on a bulkhead. They are a vented heater which draws out moisture and has a carburettor that controls the flow of diesel which is vapourised once lit , also they do not require electrics. Price is around 600US..

The built in DO heaters Espar ect are renowned problem heaters.

The diesel heater on Seabird was a joyous thing. Thawing out aboard with Andy and Sue in Twofold Bay was a very welcome highlight of that corner of the Arawana delivery trip. I don't know what type or brand it was but if you're interested I'll ask.

Paperback E-book

[QUOTE=auscruisertom;5565798]
    I've not heard that about diesel heaters, and can't really see how it can be so, where they have a dedicated combustion air intake, and exhaust, so that all that goes on inside the boats atmosphere is some metal gets hot and air is blown over it. Why diesel not wood? It's clean, instant, reliable, easy. Just set the desired temperature and away it goes, all day and all night if you like, at anchor or underway. We use wood at home. It's messy in terms of storing wood outside, that days needs inside, clearing out ash, and it requires tending. A tiny wood stove on a boat must require tending a lot. Finally, a diesel heater will fit in unused space in the engine compartment, or a locker, whereas a wood stove would use valuable cabin space. Oh and we can also pipe heated air from a diesel heater down to the aft cabin quite easily. And we have lots of diesel onboard

I would recommend a North American diesel heater such as Newport Dickonson gravity fed diesel heater ,they are small attractive stainless unit that needs to be mounted on a bulkhead. They are a vented heater which draws out moisture and has a carburettor that controls the flow of diesel which is vapourised once lit , also they do not require electrics. Price is around 600US..

The built in DO heaters Espar ect are renowned problem heaters.
    Thanks Tom, although my reading over the years suggests that Dickinson etc are a bit of a black art. I don't really have a place I want to mount a heater in the living space. I don't mind using a bit of electricity. As far as I can tell most of the problems with eberspacher etc come from running on low all the time and never giving them an Italian tune up. They soot up and run rich. The actual thing that attracts me to these now quite cheap Chinese knock offs is, well, they are quite cheap.

The diesel heater on Seabird was a joyous thing. Thawing out aboard with Andy and Sue in Twofold Bay was a very welcome highlight of that corner of the Arawana delivery trip. I don't know what type or brand it was but if you're interested I'll ask.

Nah that's OK, unless it was a fairly new Chineberspacher. But if you are going down to Arawana at all in the near future could you close my forehatch? Just realised I forgot.