Page 1201 of 1423 FirstFirst ... 201701110111511191120012011202121112511301 ... LastLast
Results 42,001 to 42,035 of 49788

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

I dismantled the motor and cleaned it up internally. But no joy. Just smoke and a little bit of rotation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    Or if it might be needed for off grid work how about repurposing a two stroke chainsaw engine. There should be more two stroke driven things in this world.

I think they are banning 2 stroke motors. Great idea though.

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I think they are banning 2 stroke motors. Great idea though.

I don't have any particular love of two strokes, but since the fascists told us we can't have them I'm determined to have as many as possible.

I don't have any particular love of two strokes, but since the fascists told us we can't have them I'm determined to have as many as possible.
    Be quick
    http://www.graysonline.com/sale/8008...on-sa?spr=true

I think I have found my hoarder. They are going to check in the shed tomorrow, but are pretty sure they have the motor I need.

I think I'm going to need a 3 hp outboard, any recommendations ?
    Grateful Dead

I had a honda not so long ago. Wasn't too thrilled with it. Rather cheaply made and ended up with problems well before it's time (oil seals, bolts corroding and seizing). However, recently went aboard a friends boat with a yammy 6 which is stored permanently on the transom bracket. Smooth and powerful. I'll be looking at Yamaha next time I'm in the market.

Nothing like it I'm afraid Peter.

It's not fascism to try to stop our waterways and air becoming full of crap.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I think I'm going to need a 3 hp outboard, any recommendations ?
    I've always been happy with Tohatsu.

My Suzuki is pretty good
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

I'd been thinking about an electric trolling motor but a little 2 stroke might be easier to organise.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    It's not fascism to try to stop our waterways and air becoming full of crap.
    Lets play nice. We lost Greg Larkin and maybe Portland Rob from here last time we got excited about environmental issues. There's a specific political thread which is reserved for nastiness and personal insults. That's all I'm saying on the matter.

I'd been thinking about an electric trolling motor but a little 2 stroke might be easier to organise.
    I think with trolling motors, battery weight in a trailered boat might be a concern. Lots of localised stress on the hull as you traverse the road bumps. And keeping batteries charged when not used. Could work out pretty expensive. Plus they are designed for trolling at a knot or two. People seem to mess with radio controlled aeroplane propellers to get better speed, but I'd have thought they'd be a bit flimsy. I read on the Internet, so it must be true, that 2hp and 3 hp 2 strokes are all the same, and all from the same factory, so it's just a matter of what colour you like. I had one on a Hartley 16 which was fine. Currently have one for my dinghy. Sometimes need to clean the plug if Imhavent used it for a year or so, but otherwise excellent. I know JB has been deeply scarred by a failed fuel tap.

Lets play nice. We lost Greg Larkin and maybe Portland Rob from here last time we got excited about environmental issues. There's a specific political thread which is reserved for nastiness and personal insults. That's all I'm saying on the matter.
    He brings it with every post. His tag line is intended to insult, however, it makes me smile... it just shows his insecurities, every single time he posts. He's incapable of carrying an argument, so he behaves like a churlish kid. I like smiling.

Two strokes are being banned, I believe, for new sales. Can't recall if that's here or overseas.

I have a Tohatsu 3.5. It's in the throw-out pile. Seized. I bought it new - about $600 or so at the time. Was excellent, but suffered a deep six when a dodgy pontoon rotated and it went into the salt water. Despite a tear-down, it ended up seizing as a result. A new piston didn't fix it. It might be rebuildable... but not by me.

Despite that - I'd buy another one. Good, light and easy to use. Tohatsu make the small Mercury outboards too (not sure about the ones over about 30hp).

Oh yeah - speaking of Larks.

Haven't forgotten you mate.... I spotted a pile of portholes the other day.... but during the cleanout, they've become impossible to reach at present. A whole heap of panels, etc, means I can't get within two metres of them. There's plenty there.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    I've always been happy with Tohatsu.
    I was too, hate em now. My 3.5 hp is junk and nothing but trouble right from new. Cost me money and pain, and left me stranded, was nothing more than baggage for 5 months around the pacific islands last year..

Well, the sewing machine is officially a dud. The person with the parts doesnt have quite the right part and reckons the 401 is about the worst Singer ever made. Who knew?

Apart from a vintage Queensland built 1950's 2 stroke that is so noisy and smoky you have to wear earmuffs. (I'm looking for a collector to give it to),
    I have an older 4 stroke (I think) 3.5 Merc. from dad, only used in the fresh water, and I've never used it, and an electric trolling motor I got in Tassie. Much nicer.

I agree about playing nice, and I regret the loss of Greg and Rob. If 2 strokes are banned from sale they will disappear soon enough.
    Banned from use might be a step too far except in specific places maybe, and difficult to enforce. Fisheries are busy enough as it is.

I'm sure it'll happen but It'll be many many years before it makes it to the rest of the pacific and no doubt many other regions as well. The Pacific runs on yamaha enduros ( which don't get sold here anymore , probably due to emissions) and 50:1 2 stroke . Every gas station has a pump for petrol, diesel and Zoom premix, none of this mix it yourself malarkey.

Well, the sewing machine is officially a dud. The person with the parts doesnt have quite the right part and reckons the 401 is about the worst Singer ever made. Who knew?
    I thought the 401 and 403 range were supposed to be great for heavy duty work. They get a fair bit of good banter on the 'net. Mind you, there are quite a few variants in the 401 range, so maybe there were 401s and 401s. Pity. I asked Matt and he thought it might be possible to do something with the motor problem. If you chuck it out, chuck it this way, and if you want an opinion on how bad it is ask Matt, or loan it to me and I'll ask him.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Ill drop it down at your place some time. I tried cleaning up the commutator copper thingy, but that didnt help. Matt may know better magic.

I couldn't be happier with my 2.5HP Suzuki 4 stroke...unbelievably fuel efficient, used it as an auxiliary on my 20' sharpie, and now on my 16' canoe..and quieter than a Honda. They have always got great reviews. Not expensive either. Less than $1k.
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

Agreed re weight and recharging, I'm tending to a little 2 stroke.
    This thread is informative ....http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...Electric-Power
    Grateful Dead

Personally Im waiting for a perpetual motion machine. Marinised and minaturised.

Personally Im waiting for a perpetual motion machine. Marinised and minaturised.

Cold fusion in a bottle. Not in our lifetimes, I expect.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Cold fusion in a bottle. Not in our lifetimes, I expect.

I've tried cold fusion in a bottle, made everything spin for ever. Later when for ever finished I saw on the label 'rum'.

Warning: Wooden Boat Content

I've partly been hiding and partly banned myself from forums for a few months so I had some hope of getting a little work done.

I went out for a quick sail on Pixie today. I had to come back in here and post a photo which none of you will recognise. Pixie looking lovely in a state of semi-undress right after we tied up:

We've only been out a couple of times (she's at QCYC).
    I'm going to sail every day this week to get myself sorted for the Classics Regatta ('The Gaffers') this weekend. I'm a total newbie, so my focus will be on staying out of everyone's way. :-)

Are any of you bods coming to the Gaffers?

(No, the dreaded outboard still hasn't been deployed as an anchor. Its time will come)

Looking good

Looking lovely !!
    Grateful Dead

Looking awesome !!!