Page 12 of 1369 FirstFirst ... 211121322621125121012 ... LastLast

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Oz Connection

That would make the difference.

Get there the day before , and leave the day after.

I'm off to bed, too much family, food, and bubbly today.

Happy New Year.

Talk to you all in 2012

FWIW we never venture out on "significant occasions". Seen too many problems from pissed up "navigators" with collisions and fouled ground tackle esp around abt Athol Bight so we stay quiet on the mooring in Gurriga (Taylors Bay) east of the zoo.
    Did a recce this PM. Abt 5 on anchor though thankfully outside the mooring zone,
    Last edited by purri; 12-31-2011 at 06:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nauticalnomad View Post
    Sorry.... And the last bit
    prop also exaggerates the prop walk to portwhen ahead. For two years in the late 1990sRudi and Pat lived aboard the boat, sailing justabout halfway round the world, visiting theAzores, Canaries, the Caribbean and goinground Britain.Rudi has single-handed her into the Arcticand round his home country of Norway. Nowshe’s home, Hippokampos will be getting a
    thorough overhaul this winter.
    Hippokampos, just curious, why is your boat named after a part of the brain?
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I wondered if he was in the medical field, or it was comment on the follies of owning a wooden boat in the first place!

Hot day to come here after a good NY eve. Two fireworks displays, one unexpected and some good company as the road's residents mostly ended up in the one place by about 11. Some are very new, some of their houses are not complete yet. Very nice indeed.

Maybe ...http://www.nada.kth.se/~fred/hippo.html
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    So it's Greek for Seahorse.

Yeah, I think it's the brain stem looking like a seahorse rather than the other way around.
    Grateful Dead

Looks like it's going to be a fine day for working on the boat again. Peter I will be in at the Centre tomorrow and Tuesday.

I hope to see you, could you load the Gimp onto the laptop ?
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I hope to see you, could you load the Gimp onto the laptop ?
    Too easypeasy.

Is anyone else here a member of their local fire brigade , SES , or marine rescue service ?.
    I think , besides the obvious community service , it can also broaden your own horizons , and opportunities.
    I remember whe my sailing mate Leckie first started going sailing with me , I used to tell him what was happening in the CG and CFA , and he was very interested.
    He had come from a background of being a commercial fishing boat skipper , so when I coaxed him to attend a CG meeting , he was warmly accepted , and is now a CG skipper , and training others.
    Being in the CFA meant proper training in the latest firefighting techniques , and also free kit for home , if ever we have to fight another fire.
    The CG has constant training , I've done the Navigation course , the next will be setting up and using a computer based boat tracking system , all very interesting.
    Is anyone else in a volunteer emergency service ?.
    Regards Rob J.

I was a member of the Rural Fire Brigade for 10 years when we lived up in the bush.

Only 30+ Ks from Brissie but on a narrow winding road in the hills.

Biggest problem was getting recruits, and then getting them to turn up for roster or training.

In the 15 years since we left there the equipment has improved, but I believe finding recruits is much harder.

The same backbone of people sustain the organization now as did then.

Yes , you are right Rufus.
    I did a CG shift yesterday with the bloke who set up the Portland service , and comparing it to the neighbouring much larger town service.
    The CG Portland is very busy , the neighbouring service very quiet , that makes a difference.
    But it also gets down to personalities. They had a personality driving recruits away , and so did we , recently.
    I was one of the people who stepped back for a while , until that person was kicked out , now I , and the others are back , business as usual.
    I spoke a couple of days ago of the Macedon Ranges area.
    Stunningly beautiful , particularly after recent good rains.
    Most of the older generation have died off , or left the area , the new have no experience of fire , and don't really want to , they are "too busy" for CFA duty.
    And they are setting the place up to burn . Sure , the vegetation to the roads edge looks pretty , the overhanging canopy looks beautiful , but they have never experienced it all burning , and the obvious dangers.
    Its different down here , most people are involved in one way or the other.
    Or , all of the people I know .
    Again , the CG and CFA , and the boys on the swing moorings , have been my avenue in to the local community.
    Regards Rob J.

Is there a worse possible job on a boat than sanding/grinding off old antifoul in an enclosed space (I've tented the hull in the shed)?
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I was a member of the SES up to a year after the Ash Wednesday fires. Spent 10 days in the Riddells creek/Macedon area, and the big fire was the 3rd one in that area in about a fortnight. We supplied our own vehicles, (an 88" Landy), the local CFA supplied a tank trailer, pump and crew. Burnt out two tyres amongst other things and I cannot speak too highly of the St. Johns Ambulance Brigade and the local Red Cross Auxilliary without which we could not have coped.

Skuthorp , I was a member of the Macedon CFA in '83 , had been for 10 years.
    Yes , the volunteer work then was amazing , the people who pitched in and got things sorted was awesome !.
    I got hurt in the fire , and finished up needing 2 total shoulder reconstructions , but I kept working with a wrecked shoulder for months , then had the operation. Then I needed it done again , same shoulder .
    About 12 months later , the other shoulder , after a mishap showing a cranky stallion .!
    Greg , what sort of respiration setup do you have ?, that would be my concern , what it could do to your lungs.
    Regards Rob J.

Rob, did you know Peter Lamping and John Walters? My pump crew and fellow members of the 1st Vic Sea Scouts way way back.

Quote Originally Posted by Portland View Post
    Skuthorp , I was a member of the Macedon CFA in '83 , had been for 10 years.
    Yes , the volunteer work then was amazing , the people who pitched in and got things sorted was awesome !.
    I got hurt in the fire , and finished up needing 2 total shoulder reconstructions , but I kept working with a wrecked shoulder for months , then had the operation. Then I needed it done again , same shoulder .
    About 12 months later , the other shoulder , after a mishap showing a cranky stallion .!
    Greg , what sort of respiration setup do you have ?, that would be my concern , what it could do to your lungs.
    Regards Rob J.

I have a good Sundstrom half face mask, pretty much as good as you can get without having the full face mask or a recirculation system.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

No skuthorp , I can't say that I can put a face to those names , but its been a while now.
    I can see though , if we get another dry spell , that area lighting up big time again , and its a real fire trap.
    The local councillors need to do an education tour.
    Go up to the Counter Disaster College , and see the old footages of Ash Wednesday , and interviews with survivors .
    And go and see how other shires have prepared for fire.
    Its obvious that the councillors have not learnt from experience , and the horror of death by fire , in that area.
    What happened on Ash Wednesday , and on Black Saturday can and will happen again , they have to be prepared for it , they surely aren't now !.
    Regards Rob J.

Greg , I had a half mask respirator and goggles when sanding dry antifoul on HS a couple of years ago . It surely wasn't a comfortable or pleasant experience , but its better than getting the crap in your lungs.
    The next year I got to it with a high pressure hose , as soon as I could.
    Its a very unpleasant job , sanding dried antifoul , but not worth risking your health on.
    Regards Rob J.

Rob if we get even a half a big one down here the whole coast will go up. Our place included but if I'd wanted to live in the middle of a paddock I'd have bought a different block. Grass is shoulder high in many places, the cows become hard to see when they are feeding. If it looks like it might be nasty we're out of here early. I have nearly 100,000lt of water and a motor pump but that's for the CFA, I have no illusions.

Well skuthorp , getting out early is what we practised at Macedon , in the years after Ash Wednesday.
    But now the local council can't even agree on a refuge there , so its looking pretty ugly.
    And you really need a scanner , to monitor the CFA , otherwise you could be going from the frying pan , in to the fire.
    But that is for your consideration , its your situation to figure out.
    Here , we would be staying.
    There is no way I'd get on the road here , in the event of a fire.
    But we have the place well set up to fight fire , and to escape to a bare green paddock , if we have to.
    My concern , is recruiting , and the use of brigades.
    An example.
    Before Black Saturday , 2 friends bought 2 small properties out of a small town , in a predominantly grazing/cropping area.
    The local brigade was struggling , so they did the right thing , and joined , becoming active members.
    They each had 3 small children.
    Unfortunately , one of the mothers died , and the other was struggling with cancer , but the men continued helping out with local grass/crop fires.
    Then came Black Saturday , and their brigade was expected to mobilise and go and fight that horrendous fire in heavily timbered country.
    One of our group of friends had not long previously been to the fire area , and had commented on his return how vulnerable the area was , and how treacherous it would be , to go in to those areas as a firefighter , trained for that type of country or not.
    And as a single parent ??.
    We had already discussed that possibility before the fire actually started , and when their pager went off , they didn't answer it.
    People should try and put a face to the brigade , or other emergency service , and let that colour their thinking.
    For example , the death trap roads. Not only will they claim people fleeing fire , but also firefighters , as happens all too often.
    Even the CG , people have to leave their jobs to go and rescue some clown that has taken out an unreliable boat , and can't get it started , or has run out of fuel.
    Whe asked why , their reply is along the lines of " its your job to rescue us !".
    When they are told that the CG is staffed by volunteers , they change their tune a little.
    If the local councillors went to a CFA meeting , and saw who of their neighbours are committed to the firefighting , men and women , then think , is there any way we could improve the fire readiness situation ?.
    There surely is.
    I'm much happier here , in an area that takes responsibility for prevention , as well as firefighting.At least here , the firefighters have a chance .
    I was talking to a bloke from Portland just after Christmas about the fires.
    He was saying he and his mates load up a truck with fencing supplies , and go out and use it , to help those who have lost fencing.
    I have done that in the past too.
    I no longer give money after fires , there are too many who just use charities etc , rather than insure.
    We had them at Macedon , leeches , there were a lot in Black Saturday.
    They don't take any responsibility , just stick their hand out , and use the generosity of others.
    Anyway , its 0400 , I've got that off my chest , I'm going back to bed.
    Regards Rob J.

Hi Rob, we live on a loop road that connects to the main one bottom and top of a steep hill. Our local refuge is more or less the beach. If a fire arrives at low tide that's fine. Going the day before is our option, in summer the area is packed with holidaymakers and the roads would just clog up. There are many older residents in small settlements without personal transport too. Our CFA brigades are better staffed and equipped than many but the personnel are getting older and there isn't a local younger population to replace them. Familiar story eh?

Yes , it is a familiar story.
    The roads in a bushfire are a hell of a risk.
    It only takes one crash , or a tree over the road and the road is blocked , and people are in real trouble.
    Here , there are younger people in the brigades . It is a farming community , so there are generations of men and women involved. http://au.news.yahoo.com/vic/latest/...-vic-heats-up/ .
    It will get a lot worse than this , but there is a lot of fuel about.
    My oldest daughter is a Policewoman in the north of Melbourne , part of her area has only one exit , a narrow bridge.
    And , the area has been set up to burn.
    The inspector for the area has resigned. He had the responsibility of organising the search for bodies after Black Saturday , he doesn't want to do that again . He has gone.
    The brigade at Macedon went out after Ash Wednesday , and told whole roads that the brigade would not attend a fire in their street unless they made it more defendable.
    And they did that at Newstead.
    I think that is the way it has to be , tell people that their properties are not defendable , that the brigade will not be attending a fire on their property.
    Regards Rob J.

I just went outside , to the smell of smoke.
    No idea where it is coming from.
    Rob J.

So it's Greek for Seahorse.
    The Burgee for the RORC is a seahorse,
    And yes its Greek for seahorse.
    The part of the brain was named the same as it resembles the shape of a seahorse.
    I am sure its also the same part of the brain that is damaged so as to make me want a timber boat lol

Quote Originally Posted by Portland View Post
    I just went outside , to the smell of smoke.
    No idea where it is coming from.
    Rob J.
    Shudder ...mild panic .
    Grateful Dead

Its very still and sunny outside http://www.seabreeze.com.au/graphs/vic_west.asp Peter , but the wind is supposed to come up soon.
    Last fire season we were getting smoke from fires many hundreds of KM's away .
    Up in the Wimmera they are very much at risk now.
    I'm staying home today , maybe go sailing tomorrow , depending on the weather.
    Regards Rob J.

I've checked the CFA site , there were fires at Creswick and Daylesford , which is probably 300km NNE of us. http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/warnings-a...ents/index.htm , and a couple more going , and it is early in the day.
    I've just been out picking fruit , yes , Its the warmest its been for quite some time.
    Rob J.

Hot here with a northerly breeze. Three hours paddling this morning on water like champagne but a tad too warm. Just got home before the tide stranded us on the sand. Interesting tide race over broken rock shelves, a bit like a grade 1 rapid. It'd be fun with a bit of a swell running. It'll be a stinker of an afternoon but we'll get a breeze about 3.30 or so.

Hmm , I hope we get a sea breeze this afternoon , we can sit up on the balcony and soak it up.
    There is a fire down the road , Nth of Koroit , but nothing here , its still pretty green here.
    And there have been controlled burns in the forest north of here , which is reassuring.
    Rob J.

Just finished milling and block stacking all my timber! Only about 35 five to six metre long logs!

Hot and slightly humid here. Prolly less hot but more humid than Vic. Lovely occasional wafts of freshly made sawdust coming up the hill.

Looking forward to a nice stroll around the garden with SWIMPAL and a beer later on. A restful arvo before starting my new job tomorrow.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

I'm wrestling with a server rebuild....I think i shall grab a 6 pack on the way home...soon.

The CFA has had over 100 fires to attend to so far , they expect that number to double by the end of the day.
    They also lost a firetanker , in a blaze near Geelong , fortunately the crew managed to escape.
    The season has started.
    Rob J.

Jeez ,its 1821 , and its still 42.1 here!.
    Hopefully I'll be going sailing early tomorrow , but it depends on the weather.
    Rob J.