Page 12 of 1400 FirstFirst ... 211121322621125121012 ... LastLast
Results 386 to 420 of 48986

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

  1. #386
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wongawallan Oz
    Posts
    15,446

    Default Re: Oz Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    It seems to be more professional curiosity than outside assistance. The guy on IL who asked about the sails on WO had actually made those sails and it sounds like he wanted to know whether a specific sail had survived the blow. Then again, that may just be spin.
    Sounds reasonably genuine, I can't really see that they'd have been able to prosper from the info anyway.
    Larks

    “It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

    LPBC Beneficiary

    "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

  2. #387
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Livin' in the Golden Triangle
    Posts
    58,756

    Default Re: Oz Connection

    Protest dismissed. IL wins.

    This from the Oz

    The conversation between Coxon and the ABC helicopter, was recorded as a "live pooled feed" supplied under agreement to all commercial TV stations as well as to the ABC, and widely broadcast.

    In the conversation, Coxon directly asks the helicopter pilot if Wild Oats XI is flying a try-sail. When the pilot replies he doesn't know much about sailing, Coxon then asks a second question asking what colour is Wild Oats' mainsail.

    When the pilot replies that both sails up on Wild Oats are grey, Coxon responds with "that's great news."

    The small try-sail, which would be run up the mast if the vast mainsail had ripped during the previous night's storm, is orange. Wild Oats was leading the race, just ahead of Investec Loyal, at the time of the conversation.

    After the race was finished and Loyal informed of the protest Mr Bell defended Coxon and said his inquiry had been innocent, and never affected the outcome of the race.

    Mr Bell said Coxon had asked about the state of Wild Oats's sails, as he had heard the mainsail might have torn during the storm.

    Mr Coxon is the head of North Sails, the prestigious Sydney-based sail company that made all of Wild Oats's sails, as well as those on many other yachts racing in the Sydney-to-Hobart fleet.

    Mr Bell said Coxon had been concerned in his professional capacity as a sailmaker that his reputation might be questioned if Wild Oats had blown its main sail.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

  3. #388
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,687

    Default Re: Oz Connection

    In post 111 Greg mentions the "Juliene" , a Bernard Wilson boat , being on the market.
    I recalled speaking to the previous owner , just after he had sold her , after the WBF in Hobart.
    He had sold her to a retired cray fisherman , who wanted to do some recreational fishing , in a real boat.
    So , according to the broker , apparently he rebuilt the heads on the Gardner 5LW , and repainted her.
    And lost interest , recreational fishing was a bit lame , after many years of the real thing.
    So , the Juliene is back on the market.
    Still , its a lot of money !.
    Regards Rob J.

  4. #389
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Brisbane. Australia.
    Posts
    6,880

    Default Re: Oz Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Protest dismissed. IL wins.

    This from the Oz

    The conversation between Coxon and the ABC helicopter, was recorded as a "live pooled feed" supplied under agreement to all commercial TV stations as well as to the ABC, and widely broadcast.

    In the conversation, Coxon directly asks the helicopter pilot if Wild Oats XI is flying a try-sail. When the pilot replies he doesn't know much about sailing, Coxon then asks a second question asking what colour is Wild Oats' mainsail.

    When the pilot replies that both sails up on Wild Oats are grey, Coxon responds with "that's great news."

    The small try-sail, which would be run up the mast if the vast mainsail had ripped during the previous night's storm, is orange. Wild Oats was leading the race, just ahead of Investec Loyal, at the time of the conversation.

    After the race was finished and Loyal informed of the protest Mr Bell defended Coxon and said his inquiry had been innocent, and never affected the outcome of the race.

    Mr Bell said Coxon had asked about the state of Wild Oats's sails, as he had heard the mainsail might have torn during the storm.

    Mr Coxon is the head of North Sails, the prestigious Sydney-based sail company that made all of Wild Oats's sails, as well as those on many other yachts racing in the Sydney-to-Hobart fleet.

    Mr Bell said Coxon had been concerned in his professional capacity as a sailmaker that his reputation might be questioned if Wild Oats had blown its main sail.
    A fitting and appropriate outcome .

  5. #390
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Livin' in the Golden Triangle
    Posts
    58,756

    Default Re: Oz Connection

    Bugger.

    Got a window of opportunity.... my daughter isn't around for a couple of days (she's allergic to onions).

    Chopped and prepared... got some advice from the missus.... "use that Pyrex dish"

    Got the croutons made, got it all happening, garrlic and onions softened.... dropped in the Leeks

    BANG.

    Um, Dear... why did you suggest using the Pyrex dish?

    Oh well.... its off to Woolies again.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

  6. #391
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    73,977

    Default Re: Oz Connection

    Does it have Pyrex printed on it or made in China?
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  7. #392
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Livin' in the Golden Triangle
    Posts
    58,756

    Default Re: Oz Connection

    Sorry.... too late, bins out already, but it was an old genuine one I believe. I'd say it was because it was overhanging the ends of the hotplate.... then got hit with the cold Leeks going in. I wouldn't have used it unless instructed to. I'd done a dive into the basement to try and find the big pot.... dunno where it's gone.... although, that said, it might be down on Grantala
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

  8. #393
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Brisbane. Australia.
    Posts
    6,880

    Default Re: Oz Connection

    How long since you have been down to Grantala Ian?

    You have so many irons in the fire.

  9. #394
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Livin' in the Golden Triangle
    Posts
    58,756

    Default Re: Oz Connection

    Too long Rufus. The missus went down with Bazza a couple of weeks before I got home. I might try and get down there in the next few days if I can get one of the kids to babysit their mother.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

  10. #395

    Default Re: Oz Connection

    Hello,
    Im from Australia originally having left to travle the world back in 2004,
    I own a 1968 cold moulded mahogany sailing boat designed by Angus Primrose and built in cowes as an Admirals cup contender for the UK,
    My question is, its spent its years in the cold waters of the northern hemisphere, having been raced in the west indies in its early days and back and forth accross the atlantic a few times and wherever else in its racing history. I am preparing it to sail back to Australia by the end of 2012. (thats the plan anyway)
    And i am wanting to know peoples insight into the weather difference etc, having the boat in warmer waters, whether this is going to cause any problems etc,
    The hull is 5 layers of 4mm veneers diagonally moulded with resorcinol glue in between each layer. with a new paint job of only 6 months old,
    I commited the sin of leaving the boat out of the water under tarpaulines for 15 months in the UK to air before sealing with 3 coats of wests epoxy before 2 coats of epoxy primer followed by top coat etc
    My main concern is the temperature of the water and the change in heat if the boat is to be resided in Qld or Darwin or somewhere tropical. This is my goal of return.

  11. #396
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Above flood level, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    18,328

    Default Re: Oz Connection

    I doubt it'd be as fragile as Ian's late Pyrex dish. If the hull is still sound and there are no delaminations I reckon you'd be okay, particularly if you're sailing it back.

    Pictures please!

    Oh... And I got a new part time job today: Estimating and marketing for a stone paving company. Good thing I like Excel!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

    The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

  12. #397
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Livin' in the Golden Triangle
    Posts
    58,756

    Default Re: Oz Connection

    If the boat has been to the West Indies, I'd say it will cope with Aussie waters too.

    Congrats Duncan. Wanna quote me some tiles for the backyard. I've got a $300 budget. How's that going to be for 100 sqm?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

  13. #398
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Above flood level, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    18,328

    Default Re: Oz Connection

    That budget will get you 3% of your area paved.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

    The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

  14. #399
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    19,380

    Default Re: Oz Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by nauticalnomad View Post
    Hello,
    Im from Australia originally having left to travle the world back in 2004,
    I own a 1968 cold moulded mahogany sailing boat designed by Angus Primrose and built in cowes as an Admirals cup contender for the UK,
    My question is, its spent its years in the cold waters of the northern hemisphere, having been raced in the west indies in its early days and back and forth accross the atlantic a few times and wherever else in its racing history. I am preparing it to sail back to Australia by the end of 2012. (thats the plan anyway)
    And i am wanting to know peoples insight into the weather difference etc, having the boat in warmer waters, whether this is going to cause any problems etc,
    The hull is 5 layers of 4mm veneers diagonally moulded with resorcinol glue in between each layer. with a new paint job of only 6 months old,
    I commited the sin of leaving the boat out of the water under tarpaulines for 15 months in the UK to air before sealing with 3 coats of wests epoxy before 2 coats of epoxy primer followed by top coat etc
    My main concern is the temperature of the water and the change in heat if the boat is to be resided in Qld or Darwin or somewhere tropical. This is my goal of return.
    There are various species of wood called mahogany and the quality of it varies a lot too. I have two yachts with mahogany. One has a mahogany hull, the other only a mahogany transom. Both have had rot in the mahogany but in both cases it's where rainwater has been able to saturate wood or plywood that sits against the mahogany. If your deck is really leak proof, especially around the gunwales, and you don't have areas where water can be trapped against the mahogany, then I think you'll be fine. There are many boats built from mahogany in Australia and many have lasted well. You will need to use anti foul suitable for Australia as we do have serious problems with teredo and other shipworms, although I don't think ours are quite as voracious as some in the US and Carribean. Good luck - would love to see some pictures of your boat.
    Rick

  15. #400
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wongawallan Oz
    Posts
    15,446

    Default Re: Oz Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Portland View Post
    In post 111 Greg mentions the "Juliene" , a Bernard Wilson boat , being on the market.
    I recalled speaking to the previous owner , just after he had sold her , after the WBF in Hobart.
    He had sold her to a retired cray fisherman , who wanted to do some recreational fishing , in a real boat.
    So , according to the broker , apparently he rebuilt the heads on the Gardner 5LW , and repainted her.
    And lost interest , recreational fishing was a bit lame , after many years of the real thing.
    So , the Juliene is back on the market.
    Still , its a lot of money !.
    Regards Rob J.
    Ho serious is he about selling her Rob? Are you thinking of making an offer?
    Larks

    “It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

    LPBC Beneficiary

    "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

  16. #401
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,687

    Default Re: Oz Connection

    Well Greg , thats a good point , I don't know how serious he is.
    Apparently he is using the boat , and I would need to ring up well in advance to see the boat.
    He may well sell , if he gets his asking price , but I'm not sure I want to pay that much.
    Firstly , for better or worse , I like gaff rigs.
    So thats more money spent , changing over the rigging.
    The previous owner was very honest with me about her sailing ability , not much , except when crossing Bass Strait !.
    I could get as good (and that is very good) a boat for half the price or less , from Europe or Scandinavia , delivered here !.
    The days are getting longer in the Nthn Hemisphere , hopefully it won't be long before we are up there , among 'em !.
    I also know that Julie Elizabeth is coming up for sale soon , and she is one hell of a boat , surprisingly economical , and probably the same price as Juliene.
    Thats still a fair bit of money though .
    I'll be looking for real value for money .
    Regards Rob J.

  17. #402
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    30,422

    Default Re: Oz Connection

    Started work on fitting my gear/throttle control today. I post some photos upstairs when the job is a bit more advanced. I also moved my 800 Kgs of lead to along side the melter today...I figured I needed some exercise.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

  18. #403
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Livin' in the Golden Triangle
    Posts
    58,756

    Default Re: Oz Connection

    So what did you do after morning tea?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

  19. #404

    Default Re: Oz Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    There are various species of wood called mahogany and the quality of it varies a lot too. I have two yachts with mahogany. One has a mahogany hull, the other only a mahogany transom. Both have had rot in the mahogany but in both cases it's where rainwater has been able to saturate wood or plywood that sits against the mahogany. If your deck is really leak proof, especially around the gunwales, and you don't have areas where water can be trapped against the mahogany, then I think you'll be fine. There are many boats built from mahogany in Australia and many have lasted well. You will need to use anti foul suitable for Australia as we do have serious problems with teredo and other shipworms, although I don't think ours are quite as voracious as some in the US and Carribean. Good luck - would love to see some pictures of your boat.
    Rick
    Thanks for the insight about the mahogany, I have no troubles with deck leaking etc, Shes pretty dry inside, Except for the old Perkins 4107 leaking its iol, Which i am changing in January having just bought a new Nanni 43HP engine to fit.
    I have tried to post some pictures but it says that the quota is exceeded on each pic,
    How do i reduce the pixles?

  20. #405
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Livin' in the Golden Triangle
    Posts
    58,756

    Default Re: Oz Connection

    Host the piccies somewhere like Photobucket and link them
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

  21. #406
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    30,422

    Default Re: Oz Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    So what did you do after morning tea?
    After a very busy Xmas and my first morning without family...I slept in till about 8am, had two cups of tea in bed and got up about 9.30am. Had breakfast, then coffee. The day started about 11am and I worked to around 2.30pm. Then we sat in front of the telly and watched episodes of Dead Like Me, which youngest daughter gave me for Xmas (seasons 1 and 2). Then we went to the pub for dinner...came home and watched more DLM.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

  22. #407

    Default Re: Oz Connection

    http://s1131.photobucket.com/albums/m552/nauticalnomad/

    I have attached a link of the boat before the paintjob, She used to be blue, now she is the white colour you can see.
    Along with a page from some book about the designers boats
    I dont have any others of her right now

  23. #408
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Above flood level, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    18,328

    Default Re: Oz Connection

    Looks fast eh!









    Is that a trim tab on the keel?

    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

    The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

  24. #409
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    73,977

    Default Re: Oz Connection

    Very quick !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  25. #410

    Default Re: Oz Connection

    [QUOTE=PeterSibley;3249125]Very quick ![/QUOTE
    A mate and i bought her over from the UK to Holland in July
    It was the first proper ocean sail ive had in her since buying her,
    The weather report was the following 3,4 then increasing to 5,6 gusts of 7 then decreasing back to 5,
    So we thought yeah ok, Off we go and it went 3,4,5,6,7,8 gusting 9 not decreasing
    we obviously had 1 reef in and were averaging 9 knots accross.
    We left the Uk with the wind behind us and the 45yr old Perkins engine blows up, So what had taken us 3 hours to get down river and out to where we were would have taken 9 hours to get back had we turned around and tacked back up river- So we decided to head accross as the wind was favourable
    My mates girlfriend was on board and for 20 hours she hugged a bucket being sick,
    Both of us were looking at each other reassuring each other that yeah were alright, but infact both really thinking to ourselves this was not good at all.
    The wind generator on the stern was spinning like it was going to take off
    there were and weve discussed this after back on land and its no exageration 10 metre high waves crashing down onto us into the cockpit
    But the speed we were doing was fast, surfing down waves then back up the faces etc
    and it was the determining factor of whether i keep the boat or not as i was worried about its age and the past use as to the integrity etc,
    But if she can handle that in the North Sea, it should be capable of elsewhere.
    So i was constantly pushing her to the limit, into the waves and side on etc looking to see anything that gave performance issues or to just see what she was capable of (without being life threatening of course) There was never a moment that we felt it was going to roll, she just kept digging in and increasing speed like a dolphin surfing through the waves.
    So we were both surprised etc as to the crossing.
    So yeah shes fast etc, Laying in Holland with a blown engine to which im waiting till January for a new one to come,
    I am replacing the Vee drive set up i have currently as the engine is in backwards and the shaft runs out underneath the block,
    So i am repowering her with hydraulic propulsion.
    Not sure if that is a good idea or not.. But time will tell.

  26. #411
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    30,422

    Default Re: Oz Connection

    [QUOTE=nauticalnomad;3249133]
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Very quick ![/QUOTE
    A mate and i bought her over from the UK to Holland in July
    It was the first proper ocean sail ive had in her since buying her,
    The weather report was the following 3,4 then increasing to 5,6 gusts of 7 then decreasing back to 5,
    So we thought yeah ok, Off we go and it went 3,4,5,6,7,8 gusting 9 not decreasing
    we obviously had 1 reef in and were averaging 9 knots accross.
    We left the Uk with the wind behind us and the 45yr old Perkins engine blows up, So what had taken us 3 hours to get down river and out to where we were would have taken 9 hours to get back had we turned around and tacked back up river- So we decided to head accross as the wind was favourable
    My mates girlfriend was on board and for 20 hours she hugged a bucket being sick,
    Both of us were looking at each other reassuring each other that yeah were alright, but infact both really thinking to ourselves this was not good at all.
    The wind generator on the stern was spinning like it was going to take off
    there were and weve discussed this after back on land and its no exageration 10 metre high waves crashing down onto us into the cockpit
    But the speed we were doing was fast, surfing down waves then back up the faces etc
    and it was the determining factor of whether i keep the boat or not as i was worried about its age and the past use as to the integrity etc,
    But if she can handle that in the North Sea, it should be capable of elsewhere.
    So i was constantly pushing her to the limit, into the waves and side on etc looking to see anything that gave performance issues or to just see what she was capable of (without being life threatening of course) There was never a moment that we felt it was going to roll, she just kept digging in and increasing speed like a dolphin surfing through the waves.
    So we were both surprised etc as to the crossing.
    So yeah shes fast etc, Laying in Holland with a blown engine to which im waiting till January for a new one to come,
    I am replacing the Vee drive set up i have currently as the engine is in backwards and the shaft runs out underneath the block,
    So i am repowering her with hydraulic propulsion.
    Not sure if that is a good idea or not.. But time will tell.
    I take it she's set up for single handing and it's obvious she's no slouch.
    Welcome aboard by the way.
    Any chance of some internal shots?
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

  27. #412
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    19,380

    Default Re: Oz Connection

    Looks like a nice boat. How is your keel fastened to the hull? What year was she built?
    Rick

  28. #413
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wongawallan Oz
    Posts
    15,446

    Default Re: Oz Connection

    So i am repowering her with hydraulic propulsion.
    Not sure if that is a good idea or not.. But time will tell.


    The upside of a hydraulic drive is that you can mount the motor remote to the shaft and there should be less vibration, but if your vessel is already set up for a V-drive I'm wondering why you've decided to change? Another upside is that you have a decent hydraulic motor and tank you can run a few extra's off of them, such as hydraulic windlass, steering, bow thruster, but other than the bow thruster the vessel would generally be set up around such a system at the build (or rebuild) stage.

    A couple of the downsides of the hydraulic system: As well as the hydraulic motor, the tank, cooling, control valve and lines will take up space that you'll need to find in there somewhere; you'll loose about 10 to 15% of power through the hydrauilic system; each of those components add to more options for failure and oil leaks.

    I'm not saying don't do it, but perhaps make sure you have a good look at the pros and cons of each system before committing.
    Larks

    “It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

    LPBC Beneficiary

    "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

  29. #414
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    30,422

    Default Re: Oz Connection

    I don't like hydraulic steering there's no feel to it.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

  30. #415
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    57,307

    Default Re: Oz Connection

    G'day all, been missing after a brush with food poisoning. Came on when I was well out in the bay and it wasn't fun tacking back and loading the boat. Still not right, dry biscuits and flat lemonade. Won't get down to the lakes this time Leaotis.

  31. #416
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    30,422

    Default Re: Oz Connection

    Sorry to hear that Jeff, hope you're back on top soon.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

  32. #417
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Livin' in the Golden Triangle
    Posts
    58,756

    Default Re: Oz Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    G'day all, been missing after a brush with food poisoning. Came on when I was well out in the bay and it wasn't fun tacking back and loading the boat. Still not right, dry biscuits and flat lemonade. Won't get down to the lakes this time Leaotis.
    We don't want photos.....!!!!!!!!!!

    Hope you get through it OK, so to speak.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

  33. #418
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    19,380

    Default Re: Oz Connection

    Forget the dry biscuits, rice is better. Sorry to hear you're crook Jeff - get well soon!
    Rick

  34. #419
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    73,977

    Default Re: Oz Connection

    Good Luck Jeff, it can be very unpleasant .

    Re hydraulics .The primary advantages appear to be the possibility of twin props and very good close quarters manoeuvrability ...perhaps Greg will correct me here if I'm wrong. The next seems to be a decent windlass system, the best really and of course being able to mount an engine anywhere it is convenient . The disadvantages are complication and unless the very best pumps and motors are used quite high tankage and cooling requirements for the oil.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  35. #420

    Default Re: Oz Connection

    Ive got a write up from the previous owner ill post,
    The Keel is held on by 8 keelbolts i pulled 2 of them recently and they were brand new like, So left them, I think they were either 28 or 32 mm equivilent, i cant remember now.
    they go down into the lead keel and then theres square cut outs in the keel where you can get access to the nuts, They are packed with putty and then tmiber blocks wedged in along with sikaflex to seal them in.

    As for the hydraulics, The V drive replacement was going to cost the same etc, and so i thought id try that out, if its no good i can resell the hydraulic drive for a small loss and look at the vee drive option down the track,
    Im also liking the options that come with the hydraulics, Theres a 10kva generator that can be installed inline running off the hydraulics.
    I am not too keen on a bow thruster having to chop a hole in the hull etc. I steered away from a saildrive because of that.
    And i couldnt have hydraulic steering either as of the non feeling etc, you cant feel the reactions as they happen.

    The write up is as follows ( i cant post it as its in adobe)
    And the link for the pictures is http://s1131.photobucket.com/albums/m552/nauticalnomad/

    Back in 1970 Angus Primrose
    designed, and Souters built, arevolutionary new boat to contest theAdmiral’s Cup series. At 44ft by 14ftand with nearly 7ft draft,Hippokampos was probably the most extremeof the new wide-hulled lightweight racing boatsof the period.Hippokampos had a long and successfulracing career, for several years in the hands ofAllan Goodfellow, and, apart from the Admiral’sCup Fastnets, she also took part in the RoundBritain and Ireland race of 1976, and finallyended up being raced by Arnold Clark (thecurrent owner of Drum) during the 1980s.In 1996 she was bought by present ownersReidulf (Rudi) and Pat Pedersen in a run-downcondition. They intended to convert her to along range cruising boat.And for a week at the beginning of October, Ijoined three sailing chums — Alec Williamson,Tim Thomas and Dick Holness — to relivesome of the thrills of sailing a true thoroughbredwhen we helped Pat bring her back to Suffolkfrom Jutland on the Baltic Sea.Rudi suffered a stroke two years ago, justafter they had laid up the boat near Aarhus inpreparation for a summer visiting Estonia andSt Petersburg, and Pat wanted the boat backnear her home in Kesgrave.It was a trip of 496 miles and took us sixdays.Apart from the first 24 hours when we battledwith a full gale off the southern end of Denmarktrying to make the Kiel Canal, we had some ofthe best sailing of the year.When we left the marina at Egå and headedsouth down the Great Belt, it was blowing forcefive to six from the west, rising in therainsqualls to force seven.We left at 3pm and by nightfall were crackingalong at 7.5 knots with two reefs in the mainand the number three furled by about a third.By the time we passed under the easternsection of the Sprogoe Bridge — which linksthe island of Fyn with Sjaelland — things weregetting decidedly lively.Dawn found us approaching the south-easterntip of Langeland where we met the full force ofa force eight gale right on the nose.After five hours of tacking backwards and
    forwards along the same line in the water we
    gave it our best, turned and ran north for
    shelter in the small ferry, fishing, and yachtharbour of Spodsberg on the island ofLangeland.As bodies warmed and dried and stomachssettled, so spirits once again rose.We left at six the following morning for whatproved the first of some great sails — afantastic sunrise that revealed a blue/blacksea, clear blue sky and a force five to sixalmost dead on the nose.We tacked a fair bit to start with until we gota good slant rounding the bottom of Langelandand squared away for the Kiel canal.Hippokampos is equipped with a 40hpPerkins 4108 diesel driving through a Z-drive.The prop, designed for racing, is extremelyundersized and at cruising speed gives only5.5 knots — the designed hull speed is nearer7.5 knots.Still, there’s an eight-knot speed limit on theKiel Canal, which is monitored by CCTV andradar for every inch of its length, so wewouldn’t be caught speeding!We stopped the night at Rendsburg, leavingthe canal proper to go up a side channel intothe town centre marina.The following morning we chugged off downto the refuelling station at Brunsbuttel, before(surprisingly quickly) passing through the lockand out into the Elbe.We timed it to take the ebb down this long,wide, extremely busy waterway and to getthrough a tide gate well down towards theFrieslands — despite achieving speeds of overnine knots over the ground at times, wemissed it by two hours!Conditions when we cleared the lock wereforce two and mist. By mid evening wecut the motor and sailed. If the wind wouldhold at force four or five slightly east ofsouth we’d have one tack right across toHarwich!
    The forecast, however, was for the wind to
    veer through west to northwest and fill —
    again in our favour. Needless to say it gotstuck in the west!But we eventually lay on the visitor’s berth atSuffolk Yacht Harbour on the Orwell, exactly55.5 hours after leaving the lock atBrunsbuttel — to be met by Rudi and Pat’sson Tony with champagne.Hippokampos is built of eight layers of coldmouldedmahogany ply on massive compositeframes and she was considered extremelylight for her size — about 10.5 tonnes dryweight — at the time.Today she weighs a little more, her internalaccommodation having been altered to makeher an extremely roomy, yet cosy, long-leggedcruising boat.Originally she had crew of eight, two quarterberths either side of the cockpit, and two tiersof three berths each side of the saloon.The area forward of the mast was a greatbig cavern fitted with a variety of racks andnets for storing sails and gear.When the Pedersens bought her she wasbest described as “scruffy” but essentiallysound. Some weak areas within the skin wererepaired, the interior gutted and then Rudi, anengineer by profession, set about building thenew live-aboard facilities.Now she has a comfortable pilot berth toport, with a deep storage shelf behind andlarge lockers underneath, outboard of a portsettee that also forms a good sea-berth.To starboard is more storage and abookcase, a settee, an “office” area where Patkeeps her papers and works on her laptop,and the six-seater two-winged saloon table.The heads-cum-shower room is on thestarboard side forward of the saloon. It’s wideenough to accommodate an aft-facing vacuumtoilet, large sink and vanity unit with vastcupboards behind, as well as a shower.The passageway forward is to port of thecentreline and contains two large hangingcupboards outboard.Throughout the boat there is an abundanceof large lockers.The fore cabin contains a positively palatialdouble berth, seat with locker and a storageunit. They built in a chain locker in the sharpend by installing a bulkhead with accesshatch. There’s a positively massive forehatch,
    through which sails were handed in racing
    days.What makes the accommodation even moreintriguing is that it is on several levels — thecompanionway deck around the galley andchart table is one level, then there’s a stepdown into the saloon, but a step up into thedinette.
    contd....


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •