Page 1180 of 1428 FirstFirst ... 180680108011301170117911801181119012301280 ... LastLast
Results 41,266 to 41,300 of 49950

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    I'm sure to do so Gernot. Berlin is most definitely on the list, the Hufeisensiedlung and other great works of architecture and landscape architecture, plus all the fabulous museums contained within!
    Does sound more interesting than Melbourne.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Does sound more interesting than Melbourne.

Rick
    I had a very brief visit to Melbourne (sorry Jeff and Hans, next time) and a couple of quality days dedicated to being with Mum and Dad.

The Ph was excellent in both Victoria Street in Richmond and in Footscray! The best way to have meetings with architects and builders!

I did have a couple of all-too brief visits to the NGV Ian Potter Gallery at Federation Square and the really, really astonishing 'Colony' exhibition, which is something Berlin would never host. If you have the means and time I strongly urge anyone to go and see it! Ten gold stars from me!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

I had a very brief visit to Melbourne (sorry Jeff and Hans, next time) and a couple of quality days dedicated to being with Mum and Dad.

The Ph was excellent in both Victoria Street in Richmond and in Footscray! The best way to have meetings with architects and builders!

I did have a couple of all-too brief visits to the NGV Ian Potter Gallery at Federation Square and the really, really astonishing 'Colony' exhibition, which is something Berlin would never host. If you have the means and time I strongly urge anyone to go and see it! Ten gold stars from me!
    I finally went and saw the Margaret Ollie installation at the Murbah gallery recently. 20,000+ items and I think she was messier than me. I was impressed though.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

It's phở. Melbourne's supposed to be Australia's food capital and you have Saigon pho there TWICE!!? That would be like going to Bondi or Perth for a whitebait omelette or Adelaide for sauerkraut! I'm thinking that our Melbourne highlights tour probably shouldn't include food ....

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I finally went and saw the Margaret Ollie installation at the Murbah gallery recently. 20,000+ items and I think she was messier than me. I was impressed though.
    It's a good installation, we visit the Regional Gallery often.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Ms T said the other day that she wants our place to be simple, like an Amish house, and like Margaret Olley's place ....

Sort of extreme eclectic!

Of course, the reality is, you start with Amish and inevitably finish as Olley.

Rick

It's phở. Melbourne's supposed to be Australia's food capital and you have Saigon pho there TWICE!!? That would be like going to Bondi or Perth for a whitebait omelette or Adelaide for sauerkraut! I'm thinking that our Melbourne highlights tour probably shouldn't include food ....

Rick
    I couldn't get quite the correct accent on my computer. The visit was quick and the phở comes out in less than five minutes. It was bloody cold and phở warms you up!
    Anyway go down and see the 'Colony' exhibition. It's utterly amazing!
    Last edited by Duncan Gibbs; 05-22-2018 at 06:39 PM.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Ms T said the other day that she wants our place to be simple, like an Amish house, and like Margaret Olley's place ....

Sort of extreme eclectic!

Of course, the reality is, you start with Amish and inevitably finish as Olley.

Rick
    If I lived in an Olley house I'd spend most of my time trying to find things under layers of dust. A bit cluttered for my taste, nice clutter to visit.
    Grateful Dead

I contacted a local business to see if they could bend some stainless for me. Unfortunately they can't bend anything over 1.6mm wall thickness but they didn't just ring me back to tell me that. They found a place up the coast that could do the job for me, good service eh.
    An update on this I drove all the way up the place, found it and described what I wanted done. I mentioned that I was told that I could drop it off and come back in a couple of hours...intake of breath, nah mate not with the amount of work weve got on. Sometime this week maybe, I could sell you a couple of elbows...so I bought two unpolished and $20 cash.
    Back down to the wharf and a quick chat with Bob who is welding it up for me, we set Saturday to do it. Turns out the tube I got off Peter is 1.5mm wall thickness so I went to Macstainless in Murbah. He will have it done for me by Friday for $50.

Rick
    There's plenty of phở in Footerscray - but there's a huge variety of far finer culinary treats too. My apprentice step-daughter lives there now.... but, to be fair, we travel further afield to dine most of the time when visiting.

I couldn't get quite the correct accent on my computer. The visit was quick and the phở comes out in less than five minutes. It was bloody cold and phở warms you up!
    Anyway go down and see the 'Colony' exhibition. It's utterly amazing!
    I don't think so. I've already had a couple of Colonoscopies and there was nothing there.

Rick

I don't think so. I've already had a couple of Colonoscopies and there was nothing there.

Rick

No sh!t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    No sh!t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had to look up pho, never heard of it.

Bogan

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Bogan
    I reckon Boganville would be a good name for a fast food franchise.

and Boganvillia ,decorated with lots of red flowers

Had to look up pho, never heard of it.
    Good, quick breakfast. We were heading out of this town, ran into a fog bank so thick we couldn't see 10 metres, turned around and ten minutes later, were dining in fine style

Gold. Well, copper too, but yeah.

Totally against forum rules but having given up on building the Big One I'm trying to find homes for a bit of gear. I have this stove, kero, 2 burner with oven. If anyone knows anyone who might need it please tell them.

Maxie kero 2 .JPG

Maxie kero .JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grateful Dead

Nice stove/oven Peter. Too big for my new build, but still curious as to the approximate dimensions.

Unfortunatley W B was involved in a squirmish with Windancer at Boyd’s Bay 7 weeks ago. Aptly named Windancer is a restless craft that sails around her mooring,resulting in a minor poke by WB bow sprite to one of her stanchions. Unfortunatley judging from the picture the ply backing plate apears to be rotten and the old hole clearly visible in the picture was oversized alowwing the nut and minimal washer to be pulled through only damaging the fiberglass bog used to level the stanchion base . The stanchion base is showing very minor torque, with a bend that can be rectified with a vice using several hits from a hammer while the stanchion is dead straight.

I reported the incident to NSW waterways and repeatedly tried to ring the owner also leaving several message.

He finally contcted me and rejected my offer to rectify the damage instead choosing to fix it himself charging me eight hours at builders rates , If your not agreeable I will get one of my building mates to do the job and it will cost you much much more and I will see you in small claims court. (His exact words) Feels a bit like extortion to me.

I am needing some independent unbiased opinions.

[IMG]free picture hosting[/IMG]

Ask Maritime to check the designated location of the two moorings. Why do you think it's your fault? Did you lay the mooring exactly where Maritime advised you to put it?

Rick

How will you prevent it happening again?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    Nice stove/oven Peter. Too big for my new build, but still curious as to the approximate dimensions.
    I'll run a tape over it for you tomorrow.
    Grateful Dead

Certainly sounds like moorings are too close. But yes, why do you feel responsible? You may be, but need to answer the question. His deck looks like a piece if sh!t. Take lots of photos, and don't pay for an upgrade. Shouldn't take more than an hour to bog that up to the same standard it was before. So, deny liability. Tell him to feel perfectly free to engage a builder if he wants to, but that he will be stuck with the cost. Offer him $200 without prejudice. And give him a fresh roll of toilet paper for free. He an asshull. He'll need it.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Totally against forum rules but having given up on building the Big One I'm trying to find homes for a bit of gear. I have this stove, kero, 2 burner with oven. If anyone knows anyone who might need it please tell them.

Maxie kero 2 .JPG

Maxie kero .JPG
    I had one of those which I was going to put in Balia, but when burning it made quite the kero smell. OK if you like the smell of kero, but I dont much. Great stove and oven otherwise.

The kero smell doesn't worry me, it's associated with lots of good times.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Unfortunatley W B was involved in a squirmish with Windancer at Boyd’s Bay 7 weeks ago. Aptly named Windancer is a restless craft that sails around her mooring,resulting in a minor poke by WB bow sprite to one of her stanchions. Unfortunatley judging from the picture the ply backing plate apears to be rotten and the old hole clearly visible in the picture was oversized alowwing the nut and minimal washer to be pulled through only damaging the fiberglass bog used to level the stanchion base . The stanchion base is showing very minor torque, with a bend that can be rectified with a vice using several hits from a hammer while the stanchion is dead straight.

I reported the incident to NSW waterways and repeatedly tried to ring the owner also leaving several message.

He finally contcted me and rejected my offer to rectify the damage instead choosing to fix it himself charging me eight hours at builders rates , If your not agreeable I will get one of my building mates to do the job and it will cost you much much more and I will see you in small claims court. (His exact words) Feels a bit like extortion to me.

I am needing some independent unbiased opinions.

[IMG]free picture hosting[/IMG]
    Which mooring went in last?

Didn't Maritime direct you where to put the mooring?

Did you mooring go in the right spot?

Does WB have a lot of mooring scope and move around?

The tiny bit of law I can recall on moorings is pretty odd. I can't say too much more because I'm teaching legal ethics, which includes teaching law students that people who are working in a field that doesn't require professional indemnity insurance etc (like teaching legal ethics) can't give legal advice.

Yes but you can always comment on your understanding of the law in general terms. The ethics course when I did law was hilarious. It was mostly about trust account requirements. No real ethics issues at all. It was dead boring and a total waste of time. They actually called the roll every lecture, well passed around a sign off sheet. Attendance was a major part of the assessment. You could plainly see the sign off sheet pause for quite a few moments with some students, as they found and signed off 4,5, 6 or more names.

Certainly sounds like moorings are too close. But yes, why do you feel responsible? You may be, but need to answer the question. His deck looks like a piece if sh!t. Take lots of photos, and don't pay for an upgrade. Shouldn't take more than an hour to bog that up to the same standard it was before. So, deny liability. Tell him to feel perfectly free to engage a builder if he wants to, but that he will be stuck with the cost. Offer him $200 without prejudice. And give him a fresh roll of toilet paper for free. He an asshull. He'll need it.
    Just to clarify the incident occurred when I was diving while rigging the mooring block and WB was Anchored.

Winddancer actually looks rather tidy despite representing another mooring minder.

I estimated the repair at 1.5 to 2 hours and also came up with a $200 settlement. Unfortunatley the owner travels about one hour to get to the boat , which x4 makes up another four hours. We are dealing with a tradie with an unlisted number to sum it up.

OK so it sounds like you are liable. But he's an asshat. Travel time to the boat-what he wouldn't be visiting the boat anyway? Stick with your $200. It's not worth his time to pursue more. Magistrates are pretty good at recognising people like him. That's just a general comment, not specific individual legal advice. If you want advice about your specific circumstances you should consult a lawyer. Or save yourself the trouble and give the guy $1000

Or, just for fun, notify your insurer-you have 3rd party property liability? They will send an assessor and take it from there. He will,have to visit with the assessor, negotiate with the insurer, get someone else to do the repair, visit the boat to,let them on etc etc. you can watch. That's just a general comment, not specific individual legal advice. If you want advice about your specific circumstances you should consult a lawyer. (From here on in can we just assume the bull**** disclaimer?)

Yes but you can always comment on your understanding of the law in general terms. The ethics course when I did law was hilarious. It was mostly about trust account requirements. No real ethics issues at all. It was dead boring and a total waste of time. They actually called the roll every lecture, well passed around a sign off sheet. Attendance was a major part of the assessment. You could plainly see the sign off sheet pause for quite a few moments with some students, as they found and signed off 4,5, 6 or more names.
    My tongue was planted in my cheek. Like this :-p

Right! Well, the stanchions should bend rather than rip half the deck off! To fix the problem properly would cost $1000. But to replace the stanchion in the hopeless way it's mounted should only be about $200. Only an idiot would mount stanchions on a ply or fibreglass deck without a backing plate or something substantial.

If the guy isn't happy with the $200, then ask him to get a couple of quotes from local repairers. He's certainly not entitled to pay himself whatever he likes at your expense.

Rick

He should be thankful you have raised his attention to this problem on his boat before its cost him his life in going overboard. He needs to fix every stanchion ! Send him a $200 invoice for survey expenses offer again to help for a few hours and call it quits.
    Last edited by Geftb; 05-24-2018 at 07:50 PM.

Also, I would think if he were to get a yard to fix it he is going to have a lot stronger case should it go to court in getting you to pay for it. If he fixes it himself however and you document every conversation and offers of help. I would see you as having a lot stronger case. Disclaimer. I'm a chippy not a lawyer so this is not advise! Just sharing a thought