Page 1179 of 1279 FirstFirst ... 17967910791129116911781179118011891229 ... LastLast
Results 41,231 to 41,265 of 44746

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I have heard it can move a lot while seasoning. I’m in the process of removing about eight of them.

Looking at airfares to NZ, I figure return I’m looking at around $400 to $600. Next step is new passport though.
    I've used a lot of bluegum. Most of it came from a good mill at Buladelah and it's been really good. But I recently bought a stack from more of a backyard operator and it's really twisted a lot.

Rick

I will be using a local portable mill to cut it up. I won’t have my chainsaw back Monday so it’s taking a while just to clean up after the two we’ve dropped so far. I don’t think I’m going to have to worry about firewood for sometime.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I've used a lot of bluegum. Most of it came from a good mill at Buladelah and it's been really good. But I recently bought a stack from more of a backyard operator and it's really twisted a lot.

Rick
    A good mill produces good timber by cutting out the stresses across the bench but good stripping and stacking can help a lot too.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Remembering of course there's a big difference between the Bluegum youse Queenslanders grow and the tassie variety. I see why the tassie variety is used for wood chips.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Remembering of course there's a big difference between the Bluegum youse Queenslanders grow and the tassie variety. I see why the tassie variety is used for wood chips.
    Queenslanders, who are you calling a Queenslander!?
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

You know what I mean. Muggy sticky tropical places.

You know what I mean. Muggy sticky tropical places.
    It is that and I’m in a coffee shop waiting for my second coffee of the day. Sadly the place only has a small aircon.

I did some carpentry work once in Tassy on an old Hydro house, I couldn't believe how splitty and uncooperative the hardwood was ! Very coarse grained too.
    Grateful Dead

Jeff the video is terrific and the weekend looked like a huge amount of fun. Thanks for posting it.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Jeff the video is terrific and the weekend looked like a huge amount of fun. Thanks for posting it.
    I have to second that.

The joys of retirement! Remember, what doesn't kill us makes us stronger! I have some local bluegum that I bought green and had milled green, and it's very twisty too.

Rick
    Yesterday was a much stronger day. Certainly not dead yet. (Although Felicity attended the funeral of a friend who died of mad cow disease. Seriously) Feeling like I've got this thing sorted now. Wednesday there were too many problems, too many unknowns, too much crappy timber and not enough solutions in sight. But a lot of the day, between swearing and despairing, was spent starting to identify ways of identifying solutions, moving some of the rubbish timber to places where I'm not tripping over it, thinking and planning. Yesterday I cut some more old wood out of the house where it joins the new room, took some more roof off, ran some string lines, doubled up some ceiling joists which looked particularly dodgy, put wall plates on top of the cottage walls, bought a new ladder to help with the high level thinking, and a new saw blade to,help with making some of the timber the right size, put up some temporary props which are going to hold the humongous ridge beam in place when we lift it up there tomorrow and generally making progress. I've now got a fairly firm fix on where the destination lies and what it will look like when I get there, as well as a plot on the major hazards between here and there. The route is reasonably clear, with a couple of alternates just in case. Looking forward to making a reasonably fast and enjoyable passage from here on in.

Yesterday was a much stronger day. Certainly not dead yet. (Although Felicity attended the funeral of a friend who died of mad cow disease. Seriously) Feeling like I've got this thing sorted now. Wednesday there were too many problems, too many unknowns, too much crappy timber and not enough solutions in sight. But a lot of the day, between swearing and despairing, was spent starting to identify ways of identifying solutions, moving some of the rubbish timber to places where I'm not tripping over it, thinking and planning. Yesterday I cut some more old wood out of the house where it joins the new room, took some more roof off, ran some string lines, doubled up some ceiling joists which looked particularly dodgy, put wall plates on top of the cottage walls, bought a new ladder to help with the high level thinking, and a new saw blade to,help with making some of the timber the right size, put up some temporary props which are going to hold the humongous ridge beam in place when we lift it up there tomorrow and generally making progress. I've now got a fairly firm fix on where the destination lies and what it will look like when I get there, as well as a plot on the major hazards between here and there. The route is reasonably clear, with a couple of alternates just in case. Looking forward to making a reasonably fast and enjoyable passage from here on in.
    Phew! Time for a beer.

Sounds like a plan!
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Interesting to note the progress with the varying building ,renovations and milling going on. Ours is progressing tiles are laid kitchen is arriving next week,now just to try and rid the rest of our house of all that fine tile and cement dust.

Located a one ton mooring block and a truck with a Hiamp to lift it with.
    The idea is still to lift the block with WB using the tide and move it about 35 m from the shore to its new location.

Busy day!

Rick

Measuring rafters, from the top of the wall to an imaginary point in the sky where the ridge beam will be tomorrow. Cutting at appropriate angles to hit the side of the ridge beam and the top of the wall plus the right overhang to get the inside face of the verandah fascia 97cm from the outside of the wall. And reducing the depth of the visible part of the rafter to something less than a bridge pylon. Then cutting to approximately those measurements. Caught myself just in time before remembering that the wall plate on top of the cottage is about 100mm inset compared to the new stud wall between the cottage and the house. Good save.

Our roof reno is almost complete. I've got a few capping pieces to put up tomorrow and some dodgy wood to repair and we'll call it done. There's a probable win with recycling and that will spill over into boat work. A neighbor runs a recycling business so he is going to get a truck to take away the old al and steel and pay me for it, saving me many trailer trips to the scrap yard and showering me with boat money.

Now I just need to fix Sheila's car and we'll be back in business.

Sent from a phone.
    Paperback E-book

My father was a carpenter builder, going through his effects found drawings for the framing on a cupola (common feature on larger Victorian era buildings) that was part of his training at Footscray Tech, early 30s I think. He was on an early government scheme that employed people and gave them training, he worked on the Shrine as part of this scheme. A friend of his once told me that he would build the walls of a house stacked on top of each other and then then a few blokes would help him stand all the walls up in a few hours and the top and bottom plates would all fit together. This was when house framing was all eucalypt and larger scantlings as well compared to the pine framing of today which I think was the Light Building Code, Jennings maybe had something to do with this?
    the invisible man........

I've built a few hardwood frames, I prefer them to pine .... but it is heavy work.

Dad's training was in the AIF starting in 1939. Not much use after the war.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by maxwaterline View Post
    My father was a carpenter builder, going through his effects found drawings for the framing on a cupola (common feature on larger Victorian era buildings) that was part of his training at Footscray Tech, early 30s I think. He was on an early government scheme that employed people and gave them training, he worked on the Shrine as part of this scheme. A friend of his once told me that he would build the walls of a house stacked on top of each other and then then a few blokes would help him stand all the walls up in a few hours and the top and bottom plates would all fit together. This was when house framing was all eucalypt and larger scantlings as well compared to the pine framing of today which I think was the Light Building Code, Jennings maybe had something to do with this?
    A bit like this?

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Sorry, Ian, cannot see these pictures, are they Photobucket?
    the invisible man........

Measuring rafters, from the top of the wall to an imaginary point in the sky where the ridge beam will be tomorrow.
    If you have room on the floor, it can be worthwhile to draw it out full size to get those measurements.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Sorry, Ian, cannot see these pictures, are they Photobucket?
    They are Smugmug. Shouldn't be a problem with them
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

The scantlings of our old roof framing is very minimalist, whereas for some reason the new room is built like a wharf. A couple of headaches matching up the new with the old, and hoping the good council inspector doesn't mind too much where I've lightened up a few things in order to avoid a total mismatch. Given that he mostly looks at lightweight pine framing Im reasonably sure we'll be OK.

We just weighed one piece of the ridge beam. 5 metres long 250x60 and weighs 80 kg. Getting all the kids around tomorrow to get it up there.
    Last edited by Phil Y; 03-01-2018 at 09:38 PM.

Boat content

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sore throat, a bit of bronchitis and generally feeling unwell.

Last night I dreamt my granddaughter was a few years younger and had a full nappy. The smell was so real I woke up gagging.

You probably farted.

Rick

Got most of our our roof framing done today. Well probably half of it to be realistic. Pretty bloody pleased with the progress though. No pictures until the iPhone syncs with the universe. But in the meantime, enjoy our new cockpit lights. Cheap LED strip lights with their own little battery pack. No need to run a wire into the main system. I expect they won't last all that long but they just stick on with double sided tape.
    image.jpg

You probably farted.

Rick
    That is quite possible, my body has been quite prodigious in that department with my gut upset as well.

TMI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tomorrow Matt and I are driving to Iron Knob for some boat stuff.
    Paperback E-book

Carnarvon Has a yacht club and marine that has become landlocked.
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-0...conomy/9499710

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Tomorrow Matt and I are driving to Iron Knob for some boat stuff.
    I hope your trip is not in vein.