Page 1174 of 1424 FirstFirst ... 174674107411241164117311741175118412241274 ... LastLast
Results 41,056 to 41,090 of 49827

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Intriguing... never heard of it, but I certainly have loads of rusty things that might benefit.

A 3 week soak is about right.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Prolly depends on your perspective. From in the water or a sinking boat they probably look pretty good
    In reference to the look of rescue boats. 99% of the time people are really happy to see us but there have been moments where a person has been aggressive and or abusive. Iíve only seen the smiles though...call it luck.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I buy mine from a stock feed outlet in a 20 l drum, mix 1 part molasses to 2 parts water (warm or hot water makes it easier). Into this solution, which I keep in an open topped 20 l drum but with a lid, I hang any steel that's rusty and I want bright. The last lot was some sliding clamps that had been on a job in the rain for a few weeks, They came out perfect! It removes tarnish from bronze alloys too.

Recommended if you can find cheap molasses.
    Just curious would the molasses treatment substitute sand blasting anchor chain in order to regalvinize ?

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Just curious would the molasses treatment substitute sand blasting anchor chain in order to regalvinize ?
    Won't hurt it to give it a try. If you could put it in a cement mixer and turn it on every few days for a month I think it would be brand new

I wonder if dry sand and chain in cement mixer would work, or would that cause too much wear on the chain?
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Not much point to that Tom. If you get the chain galvanised. they'll pickle it before they dip it anyway.

When I looked into getting chain regalvanised, it was as much as new chain. If you have a cheaper galvaniser though, that would be great!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I wonder if dry sand and chain in cement mixer would work, or would that cause too much wear on the chain?
    I have heard of people dragging there chain down a dirt road. Farmers though, not so Mach yachties

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Possibly but getting even exposure to all the links would be the trick.
    Grateful Dead

Only expose the rusty bits.

Rick

I wonder if galvanising works derust in house ?
    Grateful Dead

I wonder if galvanising works derust in house ?
    Pretty sure they do.... they have acid tanks

I'd be interested to hear whether it's cheaper to re-galvanise or to buy new chain

I've heard it's worth asking if the works has a centrifuge to spin the chain immediately post dipping ..... otherwise links can be "glued'' together with zinc.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    In reference to the look of rescue boats. 99% of the time people are really happy to see us but there have been moments where a person has been aggressive and or abusive. I’ve only seen the smiles though...call it luck.
    As a surf lifesaver I swum out to rescue a bloke who was obviously in trouble. He got very aggressive so I swum around him for a bit till he drowned a little and quietened down. One club recounted a case where the lifesaver knocked the 'victim' out so he could be rescued safely.

The bloke might have been 'rescued' previously with the knock the victim unconscious method... no wonder he got aggressive when approached by a life saver.

Anyone know much about electric toilets? We have the basic TMC electric crapper, and today it's crapped out. It's been struggling for a while, but today it decided it's had enough, no more, not going to do it. I think the bearings in the motor have kind of died. I can turn it with a screwdriver in the slot in the back, but it won't go of its own accord. So a brand new one from whitworths is $350. Or I can get just the engine and pump for $230. I figure I might as well get the whole thing, which now comes with a soft close seat. Taking the old pump and motor off probably won't be fun, because there's a reason why I was flushing it. Better just to remove the whole thing. Anyway, it's been on the boat for about 7 years of light use. I guess that's not bad. But is there anything I should be doing to extend its life? Any shut down procedure lie a fresh water flush? I just close the thru hulls. I wonder if it's living in salt water rather than the almost fresh lower reaches of the Huon that's done it in?
    Last edited by Phil Y; 05-11-2018 at 05:48 PM.

This is the opportunity you've been waiting for. Rip it out and replace with a composting version as illustrated in Gary's Red Wing. No parts to give up the ghost in seven years from now.

Bucket. Everything else is shyte.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    This is the opportunity you've been waiting for. Rip it out and replace with a composting version as illustrated in Gary's Red Wing. No parts to give up the ghost in seven years from now.
    Good idea. I don't know why I didnt think of that. I think composting toilets are definitely the go. I'm not sure Gary's advanced bucket is quite the answer. But I'd definitely like to have a "proper" composting head, Airhead or whatever the other option is. (I think there might only be 2) Cost is an issue though. While I don't seem to mind spending $340 for another temporary and non compliant fix, I think I'd baulk at the cost of a proper one. But maybe a Redwing Bucket for now, and an Airhead later on, after the deck and the sails. Will the wife be happy to crap in a bucket, and moreover have her crap sitting there for a few days, that's the question? So Gary, be honest now. Not like JR is absolutely fantastic on all points of sail and a dream to reef. I want the real deal. How does the Redwing Bucket perform with a great big pile of steaming crap in it, covered only by a hand full of sawdust? Is there an Olfactory Shock when the next user opens the lid?

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Bucket. Everything else is shyte.

Yeah, nah. We have had a bucket. On the Tumlaren, when we were young and had no other options. That one was a squat in the cockpit affair. On Balia, we could make the bucket comfortable and private. But then there's a vertical ladder of 6 feet to emerge from the focsle to chuck it, while of necessity holding the bucket very close to ones person to fit through the hatch, or a long march through the main cabin and up out the main companionway and into the cockpit. Nothing discreet about any of that, and some level of discretion is neccesary when we have the wife, kids girlfriends etc aboard. I do think some level of comfort around the toilet experience on a boat is really quite important. I've known people to go without having a crap for days on a boat due to embarrassment. Not ideal. Even a composting bucket, if it's OK in terms of smell, will create anxiety in some crew which I'd prefer to avoid.

And just between you and me, shhhh don't tell anyone, we have been known to use the crapper in the marina. (I can say that because it's the Internet and it might not even be true) I'm really not fussed about the pollution aspect. But while I reckon we can get away with pumping out mascarated waste below the waterline, chucking a bucket of floaters out in the berth might not be so good.

A compliant head would be good, just in case of the inevitable inspection by some bugger in a uniform one day.

According to my marine plummer mate, the prime killer of electric toilet pumps is wet wipe type products. Ie not TP.
    But the stealth killer is pits/seeds, olive particularly. Who knew.
    I think a freshwater flush would really help with longevity as well as a periodic flush through with vinegar to break down the calcification pipe restrictions.
    Gets rid of the dead algae and the like in the supply from the through hull.

I'm already thinking about a Redwing Bucket (tm) with a small gap between the bucket and the seat, and a solar vent on deck, drawing any smelly air out via a duct. One of those solar vents with a backup battery for 24/7 operation.

I've typed and deleted 3 answers to Phil's dilemma.
    Replace the head, man.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    According to my marine plummer mate, the prime killer of electric toilet pumps is wet wipe type products. Ie not TP.
    But the stealth killer is pits/seeds, olive particularly. Who knew.
    I think a freshwater flush would really help with longevity as well as a periodic flush through with vinegar to break down the calcification pipe restrictions.
    Gets rid of the dead algae and the like in the supply from the through hull.
    Wow, that would be pretty low on my list of career ambitions. I wouldn't be surprised if 7 years is a pretty reasonable run for an electric head. Vinegar is a good idea, thanks.

I,ve typed and deleted 3 answes to Phil's dilemma.
    Oh go on, give us your thoughts.

Gary can you post details of your setup? I saw it, but can't recall which thread, was it Jays Bucket Bottom? Anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Oh go on, give us your thoughts.
    Hahaha, yes...in a nutshell I don't think obstacles to company aboard is a great strategic move.
    TMC is not highly regarded s a brand but 7 years is pretty good. I just have a pump rm69 and its quality is appalling. New pump has a leaking top bearing in 5 months.
    Last edited by John B; 05-11-2018 at 06:15 PM.

Hahaha, yes...in a nutshell I don't think obstacles to company aboard is a great strategic move..
    Yes, I agree, really an important consideration.
    And we didn't get a 50 foot boat to go camping.

Gary can you post details of your setup? I saw it, but can't recall which thread, was it Jays Bucket Bottom? Anyway.
    I found it. Really not a composting setup, just a more comfortable bucket, with a tight fitting lid. Containment, to carry ashore and dispose of there. I know those buckets with their tight fitting lids. Bad things can happen with them.

I've heard it's worth asking if the works has a centrifuge to spin the chain immediately post dipping ..... otherwise links can be "glued'' together with zinc.
    It doesn't work in a tank. They have to spin it which is why it's expensive. There's no one in Newcastle with a spinner. I know of one in Sydney. With most galvanising, cost is based on weight. Not so with chain.

Rick

Not having that problem in a dinghy is a good thing…
    Speaking of sailing…..Yesterday 40 kts and rain. Today bright sunshine and NO WIND!

Buckets are fine if it's just you but for guests etc. .... forget it! I bought a manual Lavac that's supposed to be the duck's guts but I haven't installed it yet. I think I'm going to need to add a macerator so I wish I'd bought an electric Lavac. I'm told the Lavac is very good.

Rick

Wow, that would be pretty low on my list of career ambitions. I wouldn't be surprised if 7 years is a pretty reasonable run for an electric head. Vinegar is a good idea, thanks.

Arawana's head had a vinegar draw-pipe and a small, attached, refillable plastic vinegar bottle. Apart from the ultimate death of the system it worked well to keep it all pretty clean and low-odorous.

My serious answer, replace the head as-was and refine it with vinegar if you must, but that system served you perfectly well for a long life. Well, long for anything in a marine environment.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

If I had the room, I'd install an Airhead or that othe brand of composting toilet. With the flushing toilet, you have to flush with fresh water every time you leave the boat for more than a couple of days. The reason is that the seawater is full of little animals that rot and stink out the boat as they deplete all the oxygen. People think that it's the toilet that stinks but it's actually the trapped seawater.

On Masina, I'll have a freshwater tank attached to the toilet for 'final' flushing.

I'll have another one for flushing the engine too.

Rick

I wonder if I should add vinegar to the toilet flushing system?

Rick