Page 1170 of 1269 FirstFirst ... 17067010701120116011691170117111801220 ... LastLast
Results 40,916 to 40,950 of 44408

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Busted my boat somewhat today, 18-22 kts, great sailing while it lasted in a 3ft chop out near the bar. But the small transom leak I patched last summer developed somewhat. Quite somewhat, the whole bottom seam is detached. I wondered where all the water was coming from. She's over 40 and lightly built and I sail her hard at times, like today. But repairable easily enough I think.

I'm glad you didn't have to swim in Jeff.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Busted my boat somewhat today, 18-22 kts, great sailing while it lasted in a 3ft chop out near the bar. But the small transom leak I patched last summer developed somewhat. Quite somewhat, the whole bottom seam is detached. I wondered where all the water was coming from. She's over 40 and lightly built and I sail her hard at times, like today. But repairable easily enough I think.
    Does that mean she was self bailing on the plane ? or did the bailing bucket just get you home?

I know a guy locally who might be offloading his Daydream for a very low price or might even give her away to someone keen. The boat has some good gear, no engine and doesn't need a lot of work having been extensively restored recently. Let me know if you want to contact him. Nice boat, the Daydream.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I know a guy locally who might be offloading his Daydream for a very low price or might even give her away to someone keen. The boat has some good gear, no engine and doesn't need a lot of work having been extensively restored recently. Let me know if you want to contact him. Nice boat, the Daydream.

Rick
    Did I meet this guy at LTP? Is she moored at Tanilba Bay? If so, nice bloke, nice boat.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Dropping a couple of trees today. First one right where we wanted it.

20180212_092613.jpg

Seconded one oh bloody hell noooo! Right on the corner of the shed roof. It was supposed to go the other way but it sat back on the saw. Two wedges and the saw is still jammed. So get the small saw and nick it in on the other side and she starts to move and of course the wedges slued it to the left as it dropped. The good news is it didn't do any real damage and it took out the dead sally wattle I was worried about.

20180212_104722.jpg

20180212_101416.jpg
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Some of the jobs we tackle in order to save a few bucks.
    I just spent the entire weekend jack hammering 100 sq m of tiles inch by inch because it was bedded with black majestic.
    BM could well qualify as an alternative to epoxy .

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Does that mean she was self bailing on the plane ? or did the bailing bucket just get you home?
    Yes, quite efficiently in fact. Wind was strong enough to easily do that. But plenty of water was coming over the side as I bashed through the waves too.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Did I meet this guy at LTP? Is she moored at Tanilba Bay? If so, nice bloke, nice boat.
    Yep

Rick

Yep

Rick
    It's sad to see him deciding to move her on, and at the same time very refreshing that he's ready to act on it before the boat starts going downhill.

Having met him I sort of wish I was local to him (and you) and that I could take him sailing. Top bloke. He even paid me the compliment of thinking I must have been a kiwi, and when I enlightened him he still treated me like a cousin. Please pass on my best wishes to him when you see him.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Is there much damage Gary ? That could have been bad !
    Grateful Dead

He mistook you for a kiwi and he STILL LIVES??

Yes, he"s a very nice bloke and it's a good boat.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post

Is there much damage Gary ? That could have been bad !
    Knocked a bunch of stuff off that were hanging on nails, bent the top edge of a sheet of tin and cracked a 4"x1" roof batten. I haven't looked at the solar panel yet...it was right in line.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

The shed is tougher than I thought.

He mistook you for a kiwi and he STILL LIVES??

Yes, he"s a very nice bloke and it's a good boat.

Rick
    Yeah, he's an animal lover apparently. Keeps a pet wetter on a leash at home. Feeds it cats. Lets it watch tv with him after dinner. Never barks but chases cars apparently. Sounds great. What's a wetter?
    Paperback E-book

it's a Weta...

here's a baby one, the adults are quite camera shy...

R

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    it's a Weta...

here's a baby one, the adults are quite camera shy...

Yeah, that sounds like 'em. Cross between a cricket, an armadillo and a cheetah if I got it right. Clever people in the Academy of Natural and Unnatural Sciences, NZ brewed 'em up.

Sent from a phone.
    Paperback E-book

I presume redeye that it's mum was locked up outside when you took that pic. But even then sheesh, it's a risk………….

Mum's only a meter long .
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Mum's only a meter long .
    and can hop 20 metres along and 6 metres high with each boing.

But don't disrespect them. Like a bull shark or a death adder, they are very, very affectionate to their owners and notoriously protective of their adoptive human family. There was that story of the new postie who got attacked while trying to stuff a brown padded bag parcel into the letter box. Weta saw it and confronted the postie. Sucked his brains out in one gulp. Nasty sharp proboscis.

Sent from a phone.
    Paperback E-book

I reckon our King Crickets are scary enough.

You people have lost it.

It's crazy taking a risk like that just for a photo.

Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    It's crazy taking a risk like that just for a photo.
    It must have been intoxicated, or stuffed.

Sent from a phone.
    Paperback E-book

Stack of Sulphur Crests on the roof, noisy buggers.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Stack of Sulphur Crests on the roof, noisy buggers.
    And destructive too - our local group have done big damage to our avocado tree just last week.
    The pool solar mat is long gone, and each spring they rip the magnolia buds off before they bloom.
    A slingshot is no deterrent. But that may be because i am a rotten shot.

They are destructive. But having lived overseas where wildlife is pretty much nonexistent, I really love that you can be right in the middle of a massive city but still be inundated with hordes of wild animals. A mixed blessing!

Rick

My son sent a photo of Jet through a few minutes ago. It's 5pm in the mountains of Colorado right now....

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

They are destructive. But having lived overseas where wildlife is pretty much nonexistent, I really love that you can be right in the middle of a massive city but still be inundated with hordes of wild animals. A mixed blessing!

Rick
    I am most definitely not anti-wildlife in the suburbs.
    If I ran a census of the wildlife in our backyard so far this year we'd have snakes, brush turkeys (not so special in sydney), water dragons, echidna, blue tongues, a colony of frogs, occasional ducks in the pool, wallabies, birds of many many types from lorikeets to a powerful owl, geckoes, and less desirably we also have funnel webs and leeches.
    This was taken from my home office desk.

WhatsApp Image 2017-10-24 at 10.00.18.jpg

And the visiting vandals just this morning.you can tell how threatened they feel

Vandals.jpg

Chris - try a Super Soaker type water pistol for the cockatoos. There's a chance they may like it... but I'd suggest not.

A few years back, we saw a deer from the back door.... and we certainly have 'roos, etc.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Quote Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
    And the visiting vandals just this morning.you can tell how threatened they feel

Vandals.jpg
    My main concern is one of them will have a go at the cable from the solar panels. When it’s cooler I think I’ll put some poly pipe over it.

Well here's a fun job. Cleaning out the bookcases.

Quite an eclectic lot... everything from Burns to bucketloads of history and sailing books.

I'm being brutal.

There's a strangeness to it.... dealing with the washup from divorce is a bit like having to sort your own crap out before dying.