Page 1166 of 1269 FirstFirst ... 166666106611161156116511661167117612161266 ... LastLast
Results 40,776 to 40,810 of 44391

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Yes, fantastic! I thought he was going to sell Enchantress. Not such a great boat for negotiating reefs, I'd have thought, but obviously good enough! What an adventure and what a great thing to do, and be able to do!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Yes, fantastic! I thought he was going to sell Enchantress. Not such a great boat for negotiating reefs, I'd have thought, but obviously good enough! What an adventure and what a great thing to do, and be able to do!

Rick
    The plan was to sell Enchantress and buy something more suitable to the work. Possible a cat. Maybe he couldn't part with her.

Sent from a phone.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

The price of boats..... makes me wonder why i spend big on repairs and restoration.
    I have a soft spot for old(er) racing yachts, especially of the IOR era. SO when i saw this one on ebay I watched it with interest as it had a no-reserve listing and was listed on boatsales.com.au at $29,000:

Builder David Hankin Port Macquarie 1978, built as 1 ton IOR Class as fast racing
    37ft long beam 11ft draft 7ft weight 6.2 ton, keel lead filled with cast iron fin with bulb
    Hull quadruple diagonal epoxy impregnated cedar plank, deck double diagonal oregon plank, superstructure and cockpit marine ply fullst system epoxy dynel sheathed, keelson spruce stringers Huon pinealuminium mast boom & poles, 7 sails, most very good
    Volvo Diesel goes great 20hp
    survey history passed 2004 & 2013, last slipped antifouled October 2017

It ended up selling for $16,300. Not ideal for cruising, but - superficially - looks OK.

s-l500 (2).jpgs-l500.jpg

A lot of boat for $16,000! Yes, they're too cheap!
    Rick

Deception was one of the glamour boats when I started ocean racing as a kid. I sailed on her once or twice in her later years in Sydney; she had the real small IOR boat smell of wet sails, wet weather gear and diesel. It's a good smell - a smell that speaks of days and nights charging around the ocean full of people having fun, rather than mouldering in a marina. A small that says that this is a boat owned by an ordinary person, not a .1%er who pays people to clean up after him.

She's far from big down below, though, and has runners. A great boat for the right person at that price. While she is cheap, it also appears that we have changed our expectations of boat age dramatically. When Deception was new, a thing like a 40 year old ocean racer was basically unknown in Australia and a 20 year old boat like a Lion Class or Tasman Seabird was a bit of an ancient monument.

I saw recently that one of her old arch-rivals had been picked up from a stalled renovation and shipped to Europe for a full restoration. That will be an expensive exercise!

I was looking at a Farr 1104 sitting in the bay at christmas( earlier but similar one tonner to Deception). There's still a lot of them around and their value is low. I think you could modernise and improve for cruising by getting rid of the retrouse part of the stern and squaring off like a tp52 style. Ton of locker space gained , gas locker or similar. Nothing wrong with their performance as a displacement cruiser.

Yes, still quite a few around - i've also seen this Steinman 1-tonner in Melbourne at $35,000 still looking for a buyer after many months. Listing here.
    For me, the bigger drawback is the cockpit size - on this steinman its so narrow its not much more than a footwell. Not great for casual cruising but fine for racing.
    Maybe some of the standout IOR designs will be the classic yachts of the future and restoration is worth it.

IMG20180201154257.jpg

Nice nautical theme at our Airbnb tonight. That's Tuggerah Lake
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

A lot of boat for $16,000! Yes, they're too cheap!
    Rick

I have a theory that when things like cats and boats get that cheap that’s the end of them. The guy who buys that boat, or the $100,000 European car which is now $4000, isn’t going to have the funds for maintenance and gear replacement. And who is going to spend $5000 on a new gearbox for a $4000 car anyway? Or $20,000 for a new rig for a $15,000 boat. So it’s a lot of boat or car for the money and with the right care could go on for a long time yet but chances are its on is last lap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate what tapatalk does with punctuation. And of course that was meant to be car. Not cat.

Well, there are cats and then there are boats.

I agree with everyone above.

To a point.

Rick

Phil, there has to be an easier way to create an apostrophe than typing ’.

Rick

You would think so, would you not?

A bit of varnishing today. Well, some cetol and some varnish. The cetol seems to do OK, it's been maybe 3 or 4 years since it's really had any attention. Cockpit coamings, steering pedestal and 100 feet of toe rail. And just a bit of touching up inside with actual varnish. No pictures, it's not good enough for that. And trying to work out where water is coming in. Well I'm pretty sure I know it's the stern gland. Trying to work out how to fix that. It's a fancy Hundested controllable pitch prop, but Im starting to think it might, if I'm lucky, just have a standard stuffing box. It's not very accessible, but not completely hopeless. There are several grease points, so I've tried pumping some more grease into those. But I think it needs new packing.
    Last edited by Phil Y; 02-01-2018 at 03:09 AM.

Phil, there has to be an easier way to create an apostrophe than typing '

Rick
    Wow that's crazy. That came out as a normal apostrophe on my screen.

Dinner done. It's quite noisy here now with road traffic, freight trains, people and some really loud music. There is a music event on tomorrow night and Saturday night and I think they are doing sound checks. I am hankering now for a remote anchorage or at least a quiet rural marina. Never satisfied...

Sent from a phone.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

It's quiet now. Lovely.

I have strings of Christmas lights wrapped around the boom, and the new cover draped over it all and tied down to the rails without spreader bars. The twinkling decorative lights are glowing on and off in ungainly modes of fade, blink and stasis, making coloured patches through the boat cover. I can't catch it in a photo on the phone but it is mesmerising.

If there be mermaids in this estuary I expect to hear them sing and laugh and splash in the night.

Another big day of volunteering tomorrow them back to home base on Saturday.

Sent from a phone.
    Last edited by brucemoffatt; 02-01-2018 at 06:39 AM.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I have a theory that when things like cats and boats get that cheap that’s the end of them. The guy who buys that boat, or the $100,000 European car which is now $4000, isn’t going to have the funds for maintenance and gear replacement. And who is going to spend $5000 on a new gearbox for a $4000 car anyway? Or $20,000 for a new rig for a $15,000 boat. So it’s a lot of boat or car for the money and with the right care could go on for a long time yet but chances are its on is last lap.

On the other hand, there's a revival in boats of that vintage. As noted, one of her great rivals was bought and shipped all the way to Europe for a full pro restoration that will be big bucks. The Quarter Tonners and Half Tonners have already been through a process where old boats are bought up and having new keels, new carbon rigs, new rudders and new deck layouts fitted at great expense, and then used for excellent class racing. The One Tonners seem to be on the cusp of such a revival.

There is that. So let's hope you are right.

Heads up for anyone who uses Deks Olje. I tried to buy some yesterday from my local paint shop, who usually carry it. They said it was being discontinued by Flood. I've found some at Whitworths and will make a long drive today to pick it up.

83mm overnight ! It's wet.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Phil, I have a grease gun attached by a tube to thr nipple on the stuffing box. After each day using the engine, I top up with just a squeeze on the trigger. It works really well.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
    The price of boats..... makes me wonder why i spend big on repairs and restoration.
    I have a soft spot for old(er) racing yachts, especially of the IOR era. SO when i saw this one on ebay I watched it with interest as it had a no-reserve listing and was listed on boatsales.com.au at $29,000:

Builder David Hankin Port Macquarie 1978, built as 1 ton IOR Class as fast racing
    37ft long beam 11ft draft 7ft weight 6.2 ton, keel lead filled with cast iron fin with bulb
    Hull quadruple diagonal epoxy impregnated cedar plank, deck double diagonal oregon plank, superstructure and cockpit marine ply fullst system epoxy dynel sheathed, keelson spruce stringers Huon pinealuminium mast boom & poles, 7 sails, most very good
    Volvo Diesel goes great 20hp
    survey history passed 2004 & 2013, last slipped antifouled October 2017

It ended up selling for $16,300. Not ideal for cruising, but - superficially - looks OK.

s-l500 (2).jpgs-l500.jpg
    That is virtually giving it away for less than the used price of the equipment aboard.
    From a cruising perspective such boats are of great interest , my only concern would be the high replacement cost of rigging and onboard breakage of expensive gear which could add up very quickly

Which is why they're so cheap. But if the sails and hull are food, it's nevertheless a great bargain.

Rick

Which is why they're so cheap. But if the sails and hull are food, it's nevertheless a great bargain.

Rick
    Cuts down on the cruising budget when they're like that too.
    When comes to the munch, they're just a great value boat.

Rick
    Autocorrect is a bitch.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Phil, I have a grease gun attached by a tube to thr nipple on the stuffing box. After each day using the engine, I top up with just a squeeze on the trigger. It works really well.

Rick
    Yes mine has a few grease points. One a bit like your setup is a grease container with a screw handle on top. Hundested reccomend one turn of the handle every hour. There's also a grease nipple on the shaft, because the shaft has complicated moving parts to control the pitch of the prop. I think the others are just for the mechanical bits. So I've pumped more grease into those two. I did have an issue with some shims under the gearbox mounts falling out on the way up from tassie. I think the leak started when I put them back in. So I guess the gland packing is deformed and needs renewing.

Sort of makes you think of owls and pussycats, or runcible spoons, doesn't it?

Yes, I had the little tank thing too but found filling it with grease really difficult. I put new packing in the gland a few years ago too.

Rick

Boat dog. Only wild men went out sailing today. We are enjoying steak salad and a nice cab merlot at the berth.

Nice and very accessible !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Yes, looks good and similar to what I have. The tank I had was narrow and hard to pack grease into. I tried to buy a bigger tank but couldn't find one so I installed a grease gun instead. I have it just under one of the cockpit lockers.

Rick

My sister, seemingly lost I fear, has a 1900 river cruiser. Raised forward deck, quite large, a an ancient engine with a felt pad to lubricate the tappets needing an oil top up via a funnel regularly, and oil cups also needing regular filling via a brass pump in the oil pan under the sump. Outside push rods of course.

Boat dog. Only three wise men went out sailing today. We are enjoying steak salad and a nice cab merlot at the berth.

FTFY

Where did you get the nice dog?

We have a cat but he doesn't do car trips and we don't know if he does boats, either. He eats dogs.
    Paperback E-book

He is ours. We have him and a black and white one. Border collies. They get very sad if we go anywhere without them. Yesterday he learned to get on and off the boat from the pontoon without assistance. Quite an achievement given the height of our topsides and the fence in the way. Lifting him on and off was not very much fun as he is not very light, and didn't like being lifted over the water. He would wriggle and struggle and squirm, putting everyone at risk of a bit of slapstick comedy and a quick swim, with some claw scratching thrown in for good measure.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    My sister, seemingly lost I fear, has a 1900 river cruiser. Raised forward deck, quite large, a an ancient engine with a felt pad to lubricate the tappets needing an oil top up via a funnel regularly, and oil cups also needing regular filling via a brass pump in the oil pan under the sump. Outside push rods of course.
    Sounds like quite a boat! And quite a sister! Seemingly lost? I guess you are not in touch? So what's happened to the boat? Anyway, that sounds a bit like the engine in one of the boats at the Living Boat Trust in Franklin. It's an old ferry, from Brisbane I think, over 100 years old I believe. Has an ancient one lunger. But has also been subtly fitted with an electric motor, which turns the main prop shaft via a belt drive. Big bank of batteries under a seat along the centreline. She's quite a treat.