Page 1158 of 1160 FirstFirst ... 158658105811081148115711581159 ... LastLast
Results 40,496 to 40,530 of 40574

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

And we got home to the news that a close family friend of the girlfriend has just been killed. Her last words were "why did he cross to our side of the road "

So help me, I'm going to start relocating texting drivers phones.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

What is it about Sth Australia ? So many dinghies for sale. https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/hind...oat/1170494397

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Jeepers, the sail must be worth close to the asking price!

Blast you Peter! Felicity wants to have a sailing/paddling event on the dam on the place we look after nearby for her birthday which is only a month away, and Henry hasn't finished his dinghy, and I haven't finished the dinghy I started in PNG. We have a few other dinghys and an inflatable kayak and what not but heck, a shellback, fully rigged, on a trailer, whose wife wouldn't want that for her 50th? I just hope someone else buys it before I make an offer.

Oh and the trailer I built for my Acorn 30 years ago has some issues. I need a new trailer anyway.

It's worth it for the trailer !
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    And we got home to the news that a close family friend of the girlfriend has just been killed. Her last words were "why did he cross to our side of the road "

Very sorry to hear Ian, an all to frequent occurrence. In a recent blitz here police picked up hundreds. Should be on the spot loss of licence and maybe loss of vehicle.

The Inverloch Classic Wooden Dinghy Regatta is on in a fortnight, here's a little teaser…...
    Two weeks today the Regatta will be in it's 2nd day of it's 5th year.

https://vimeo.com/250726681/85002ba750

https://www.inverloch3996.com/inverl...dinghy-regatta
    Last edited by skuthorp; 01-12-2018 at 06:35 PM.

Sorry to hear of the girlfriend's loss of a friend like that, and yes, please do start a grab and toss campaign.

Phone frisbee might be the only thing that gets through to some people. About half of the voluntary work I do with our council involves driving around in a big mini-van, seated up pretty high relative to the traffic. The co-drivers and I get pretty worked up when we drive in close traffic and see just how many people still drive and text at the same time. We've suggested that the council should have twin dash cams angled out and down at the front windows. We'd pay for the fleet and help educate to make the roads safer at the same time. It's maddening. You can see the erratic drivers as you approach, and they are predictably identified as texters. When we use the horn and shout (yes, we do that) we invariably get abused and/or flipped. I've become very intolerant to it, and I consider that a good thing.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    The Inverloch Classic Wooden Dinghy Regatta is on in a fortnight, here's a little teaser…...
    Two weeks today the Regatta will be in it's 2nd day of it's 5th year.

https://vimeo.com/250726681/85002ba750

https://www.inverloch3996.com/inverl...dinghy-regatta
    Thanks Jeff! I'm very keen to come to one of these but, sadly, it won't be this year. Enjoy!

Rick

An excellent idea, I live in fear of the idiots !
    Grateful Dead

ooer……...
    https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/west...ear/1168708932

'Course I'd need a crew……………….

Made for you Jeff !

Grateful Dead

Found out yesterday that a superbly built steel 40' Alan Payne moored at the wharf sold for $1,000. Fitout not done and rubbish rig but new 3 cylinder Perkins diesel fitted.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Very sorry to hear Ian, an all to frequent occurrence. In a recent blitz here police picked up hundreds. Should be on the spot loss of licence and maybe loss of vehicle.
    I came close to getting run down on a cross walk by some wanker using his phone.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I came close to getting run down on a cross walk by some wanker using his phone.

Lucky he was not using his car I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On a completely different note, can anybody recommend a reliable surveyor in the Nelson Bay area? My daughter's best mate is looking to pick up something in the way of a cruisable fiberglass boat as a liveaboard/passagemaker. What he sent me a pic of is a Beneteau 393...but he's just beginning his search.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Lucky he was not using his car I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tried to find one of those skits of people driving without a car.

John Welsford

This is the boat I was talking about.
    Payne3.jpg

John Welsford

$1000 ???????????????????
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    On a completely different note, can anybody recommend a reliable surveyor in the Nelson Bay area? My daughter's best mate is looking to pick up something in the way of a cruisable fiberglass boat as a liveaboard/passagemaker. What he sent me a pic of is a Beneteau 393...but he's just beginning his search.
    Yes. Mike Elton E-marine https://emarinesurvey.com.au/

Mike is an excellent surveyor.

I also know someone who'll be selling a Halberg Rassy 38 within the next few months. Send me a PM if you need details and I'll send you the email address of the person selling it.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    $1000 ???????????????????
    Yep, amazing eh. It was built and owned by two brothers who just couldn't get around to finishing it. Apparently someone said look I'll give you a $1,000 deposit to buy and the brothers said that will do.

John Welsford

It's been about 35 and humid as hell for the last 2 days. A couple of hours ago a rain storm and a change came through. It's a blissful 20C here now .
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Tried to find one of those skits of people driving without a car.
    Many years ago some mates and I "drove" into a drive thru bottle shop with no car. Parked in the browsing lane, imaginary handbrake on, opened the invisible doors, got out, closed doors, bought our grog, got back in and drove away. Good laughs all round.

It's been about 35 and humid as hell for the last 2 days. A couple of hours ago a rain storm and a change came through. It's a blissful 20C here now .
    We had 40 mm yesterday and overnight, mostly in a few big thunderstorms. A big bonus at this time of year, tanks are overflowing.
    Today I was sailing in the yearly marathon. Lot's more water and lots more wind than last year and 1 meter chop over the shallows. Several capsizes including me after an unplanned gybe and a bang on my padded hat, and then I fell out later owing to not having a foot under the strap. Boat did OK by itself really………………. And I was not the only one, at least I didn't have to dig my mast out of the mud.

What is it about Sth Australia ? So many dinghies for sale. https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/hind...oat/1170494397

Quietly relieved to hear that someone from Melbourne is driving over to pick her up.

Quietly relieved to hear that someone from Melbourne is driving over to pick her up.
    Grateful Dead

Many years ago some mates and I "drove" into a drive thru bottle shop with no car. Parked in the browsing lane, imaginary handbrake on, opened the invisible doors, got out, closed doors, bought our grog, got back in and drove away. Good laughs all round.
    Oh to be young and frivolous again.

John Welsford

In france I watched a group of men carrying an imaginary sheet of glass down a street. During an arts festival years ago. No one tested the existence of the glass. It was very well done, stumbles, slips and all and the crowd ohed and ahed in all the right places till they got to a door they couldn't get into with a rigid sheet, so they just folded it up and everyone laughed and applauded.

Had a visitor today picking up some sailfish bits for his hull. Asked if we sailed on Sunday, he sails on Port Phillip and they reckoned the wind was too strong and did not get out. We registered 15-18kts at the start (11am), a patch of 28kts about half way through the event when quite a few went over, and 15 at the finish at about 2pm. Good sailing but 28 got a bit iffy. Almost taking shelter on a sand bar territory. But as far as I know no broken gear.

28kn is stretching it for JIM, let alone little dinghys !
    Grateful Dead

Gusting 28, not consistent. Just as well. I don't mind saying it got a bit scary.

Being out there in anything approaching that is stupid, but at the time the fleet was several k's and several sandbars away from home. As I said the windward dunes were an option, but it eased and we coped.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 01-15-2018 at 05:33 AM.

My little Olympus 870 camera had a few problems so I sent it down to Olympus Repairs, they quoted $312 for parts and labour but offered me a very good deal on a TG5, Harvey Norman offer the TG5 for $593, Olympus offered it to me for $302. I bought it. I'm happy!

Grateful Dead

I'm not happy with the eyelets I've just put into the new boat cover for the aft end of Arawana, and I wonder if there is a bit of advice that someone here has, to help me learn.

I've done a bit of a search on the WBF, Sailrite, and elsewhere on the net, and I'm not sure what the best way forward is. The issue I have at the moment is that the cheap Zenith eyelets I've used don't seem to hold the layers of material well at all when put together using the Zenith die and anvil set that came with the eyelets. I don't think the eyelets are particularly good quality. They look like plated stamped steel in a brassy colour, and are sold cheaply on places like Ebay. They came along for the ride with other stuff I've acquired so I used what I had to hand.

I've seen 316 ss eyelets of a similar appearance and size, but I'm not having much luck finding out if they are better quality and go together and hold the material better. I haven't seen anything that recommends a setting tool for them either. So I'm completely open to new info on the subject.

What I'm looking to achieve is plain reinforced holes in the cover material so I can tie off lines to spreaders etc.

Thanks.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Grateful Dead