Page 1157 of 1200 FirstFirst ... 1576571057110711471156115711581167 ... LastLast
Results 40,461 to 40,495 of 41991

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

I'm wondering if it was a way of dealing with the step up to the deck? In fact, it looks to me like the whole new floor is set lower than the old one so they've had to bridge that difference.

I've spent a lot of time recently on skirting. It's turpentine, well-seasoned and about as hard as granite. It's possibly the most detailed and trickiest bit of joinery in the whole renovation and once it's done, no one'll ever notice it except me, and I'll only notice all the stuff-ups!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I'm wondering if it was a way of dealing with the step up to the deck? In fact, it looks to me like the whole new floor is set lower than the old one so they've had to bridge that difference.

I've spent a lot of time recently on skirting. It's turpentine, well-seasoned and about as hard as granite. It's possibly the most detailed and trickiest bit of joinery in the whole renovation and once it's done, no one'll ever notice it except me, and I'll only notice all the stuff-ups!

Rick
    Not a step up Rick itís all the same level. Itís just very fancy cut in edging to the floor.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Optical illusion! A very fussy approach - just for aesthetics? If the edging is level with the flooring then I wonder how it's supported? I wonder if the old flooring was left at the edges rather than lifting it and damaging all that skirting? That would explain the why and how if it's not just for aesthetics.

Rick

It's amazing the things owner builders do!
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Optical illusion! A very fussy approach - just for aesthetics? If the edging is level with the flooring then I wonder how it's supported? I wonder if the old flooring was left at the edges rather than lifting it and damaging all that skirting? That would explain the why and how if it's not just for aesthetics.

Rick
    I believe it was done when the house was built. The house itself is quite interesting.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    It's amazing the things owner builders do!
    Quite right Peter who in their right mind would spend hours building a skylight then cut a hole in their deck knowing full well there would be some leaks down the track. Vanity versus ventilation is my excuse.

Why have a track on your skylight anyway?

Less leaky than a road, surely?

Rick

Bloody sciatic nerve.

The lion pose, gently, 10 times a day sorts mine when it happens Gary.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    The lion pose, gently, 10 times a day sorts mine when it happens Gary.
    I over did it cutting the blue gum off the fence and doing a workday today hasn’t helped.

I have one of those, too. &@$##! I have a specific twisting exercise that seems to help. Sympathy from my wife helps, too...but that's pretty hard to come by since I usually self inflict my miseries.

The heat on Sunday didnt make the weekend a total write-off. I brought home the my name-boards and used them to try out Cetol for the first time.
    I'm fairly happy with the results tho I'll probably be expelled from the Halvo club for not using varnish. Excuse the scattered thumbprints.
    The boards are teak and after stripping them to bare I used one coat of Cetol HLSe and two of Cetol TGL Gloss clear. These are the non-marine versions, used based on some experience that John B wrote about sometime in the past.
    Certainly a lot easier than seven coats of varnish, but i will see how it looks in a few months time.

20180110_141223_001_2.jpg

Looks fine. If the Halvo club object, well, they aren't worth the bother.

I quite like Deks Olje 1 and 2.
    Grateful Dead

I've never used Cetol Gloss. The best thing about Cetol, apart from the fact that it lasts really well, is that you just put more on when it fades, so no need to sand. Does Cetol Gloss work that way too? On the house, I use HLSe as the first coat and then Filter 7 for the finish. I haven't used it on the boat but I have a tin of Cetol Marine that I intend to use for the bridgedeck and the shelf at the back of the cockpit.

Rick

I've never used Cetol Gloss. The best thing about Cetol, apart from the fact that it lasts really well, is that you just put more on when it fades, so no need to sand. Does Cetol Gloss work that way too? On the house, I use HLSe as the first coat and then Filter 7 for the finish. I haven't used it on the boat but I have a tin of Cetol Marine that I intend to use for the bridgedeck and the shelf at the back of the cockpit.

Rick
    Yes, the gloss version is claimed to work the same as the other types - add another coat annually, a roughing up with a scotchbrite pad if necessary.
    I'll see how it goes but i expect no problems - mostly they will be protected by the varnish covers on the cabin sides.
    The Gloss variant is clear, so after the HLSE coat youre not altering the wood colour. That was one of my decision criteria.

Just fell in lust.
    toolchest.jpg

The Studley Tool Chest. Certainly the most sophisticated celebration of hand tools I've seen. The workbench is equally spectacular:
    Studley Bench and Chest.jpg

I'm learning to fly a toy drone.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

That toolbox reminds me of my own. In the same way that a quartz pebble by the roadside reminds me of Michelangelo's David.

Interested to hear how that Cetol goes Chris. I also expect it'll go well for you.

Rick

Especially as no one was killed !
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    The Studley Tool Chest. Certainly the most sophisticated celebration of hand tools I've seen. The workbench is equally spectacular:
    Studley Bench and Chest.jpg
    Holy snapping duck freckles!

And then you lose 1 chisel, and can't find another that will fit in its place. Or you buy a left handed gondle spinner, which doesn't fit anywhere. Useless bit of crap if you ask me. Just another throw away Christmas fad.

Yeah!

Rick

Yeah!

Rick
    I dont think youre supposed to actually use these tools. If you used them theyd need sharpening, and theyd gradually get worn and deformed. Not Good.
    I reckon its for display in in the main room of your house, where you can sit with a nice whiskey, gaze lustfully, and just think about how you would skilfully use these tools to make truly wondrous things.

Bah humbug

Sent from a phone.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    And then you lose 1 chisel, and can't find another that will fit in its place. Or you buy a left handed gondle spinner, which doesn't fit anywhere. Useless bit of crap if you ask me. Just another throw away Christmas fad.
    I would gladly have have someone throw that Christmas gift my way. Even though I consider those tools much to valuable to be used by an amateur like myself, 150 grand could buy a lot of boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
    I dont think youre supposed to actually use these tools. If you used them theyd need sharpening, and theyd gradually get worn and deformed. Not Good.
    I reckon its for display in in the main room of your house, where you can sit with a nice whiskey, gaze lustfully, and just think about how you would skilfully use these tools to make truly wondrous things.
    I think my grandfather would have used them, he was a master carpenter joiner," any man who can't build a spiral staircase shouldn't call himself a carpenter joiner". He died when I was quite young and his tools went to the tip.
    Grateful Dead

I think you can buy spiral staircase kits now. All laser cut in China.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
    I think I'd be gazing but wondering what half of the tools are for and why anyone would need 4 marking gauges!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I think you can buy spiral staircase kits now. All laser cut in China.
    I seem to remember that carving the hand rails was the tricky part.
    Grateful Dead

I think I'd be gazing but wondering what half of the tools are for and why anyone would need 4 marking gauges!

Rick
    Measure twice, cut once, but with a bit of OCD.

It it is quite a kit. I'm just being contrary.

IMG20180112154353.jpg

IMG20180112154353.jpg

One from today. Looks familiar. Anchored near Wisemans Ferry.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"