Page 1148 of 1270 FirstFirst ... 148648104810981138114711481149115811981248 ... LastLast
Results 40,146 to 40,180 of 44435

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    I've heard somewhere that this is the last SydHob planned for Enchantress.

Sent from a phone.
    Rats. She's the last of a breed of home-made and designed smaller boats.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    I can get up the sides of the 36'er after spending an hour or so cleaning the hull, but at the moment I'm not in training and at 54 I've got to be in training to keep the strength to be able to do it comfortably. One thing that strikes me is that there is a technique to it, and if you were trying to do it for the first time in a panic you'd be in deep trouble.

At the moment we have the portable ladder over the transom but I'm going to build a boarding platform after the interstate move is completed. For us, a lot of the fun in cruising is snorkelling, swimming, paddling a boogie board to the little reef breaks near our anchorages. That's a bit of an issue now we are moving from Batemans (where I have never seen a single shark) to Port Stephens where apparently the safest way to get ashore is by walking on the backs of the white pointers.
    Under no circumstances should you mistakenly try that with the bull sharks there. Those things are just plain nasty.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

I have a life sling on the stern, Iíve not practised using it though. Now that the bumpkin is gone I could probably fasten a step to the rudder near the waterline.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Car just broke down at our front gate. Checked the mail got back in and started to move and it gave a jerk and stopped. Turns over but that’s all. Biggest fear is that it’s the timing belt.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

I have an extensive sail and canvas repair repository that came with Arawana. It includes a large spool of unlabelled thread. Any hints on simple tests that might allow me to categorise it or even identify it?

Sent from a phone.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Rats. She's the last of a breed of home-made and designed smaller boats.
    My thoughts exactly!

Rick

I have an extensive sail and canvas repair repository that came with Arawana. It includes a large spool of unlabelled thread. Any hints on simple tests that might allow me to categorise it or even identify it?
    Possibly by heat - i think natural thread (cotton) would behave quite differently to poly if a flame is applied. Beyond that i cant think of anything that would identify the different types of non-natural thread.
    That it came with the canvas stash might be a positive sign, but no guarantee.

You could email the PO ?
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I've never seen any sharks in Pt Stephens in nearly 30 years. I know of just one attack - a girl para..? ing was bitten on her arm a few years ago. Are you moving to Pt Stephens Chris?

Rick

Any negative comments about my first ever sewing will be dealt with harshly.

I can't believe women who sew don't hang around in bars in blue singlets, tatts all over forearms, swearing like sailors. Also it amazes me how differently women and men communicate. You don't get a full appreciation of this until you are being taught to sew by someone who is not of your gender.

OK, that's off my chest.

The boom cover from Arawana has several areas where wear holes exist. The first, easiest fix is to reattach a flap of material on the underside to cover the wear holes from underneath. A single line of stitches.

Half an hour to spool up and install a bobbin.

Ten minutes to do it again, properly.

Fifteen minutes to set up the work, including reading the fine instructions.

One minute to run a line of stitches, including locking off the ends.

Ten minutes of shouting until 'somebody' came in and talked about stitch length doovers.

Five minutes to eat an icecream.

Sent from a phone.
    Paperback E-book

My time is coming ! Shudder.
    Grateful Dead

Grandma taught me to run a sewing machine when I was a kid. All of us learnt, and I taught half a scout troop to make 1 man tents.
    Old treadle Singer and a Jones which came with a box of fancy doovers for buttonholes etc.

The other half of the scout troop had to sleep out in the rain.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Car just broke down at our front gate. Checked the mail got back in and started to move and it gave a jerk and stopped. Turns over but thatís all. Biggest fear is that itís the timing belt.
    Depending on what it is, a broken timing belt (if that's what it is) is not necessarily a death warrant. Most/all? Toyota's for example, are non-interference engines, so nothing gets bent if a belt breaks.
    I replaced the belt in the Suzuki that I bought the kids - was quoted 4 1/2 hours labour + parts by the local dealer. It took me just over 4 hours. As long as the engine is free of variable valve timing malarkey, the hardest part is figuring out how much of the car has to be dismantled, before you can extract the old belt. The belts are pretty cheap, you can take a punt on not replacing idlers, tensioners and waterpump which will save quite a bit up front, but might bite you in the a$$ further down the track.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Your tension thingy needs some tuning Bruce, or summat. But it is beautiful sewing, really. You'll be running up frocks, before you know it. Frankk Fatt, couturier ;-)

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    Depending on what it is, a broken timing belt (if that's what it is) is not necessarily a death warrant. Most/all? Toyota's for example, are non-interference engines, so nothing gets bent if a belt breaks.
    I replaced the belt in the Suzuki that I bought the kids - was quoted 4 1/2 hours labour + parts by the local dealer. It took me just over 4 hours. As long as the engine is free of variable valve timing malarkey, the hardest part is figuring out how much of the car has to be dismantled, before you can extract the old belt. The belts are pretty cheap, you can take a punt on not replacing idlers, tensioners and waterpump which will save quite a bit up front, but might bite you in the a$$ further down the track.

Pete
    It turns over so it’s not completely dead. This close to Xmas is a pain, the fact it’s going to impact on our house project fund is a serious pain in the freckle. The only positive side is that it didn’t happen during my drive to Brisbane and back last Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post

Pete
    Replace the waterpump while it's accessible.
    Grateful Dead

Fingers crossed for you Gary. That's a nightmare until you knw it isn't.

I managed to complete the immediately required repairs to Arawana's boom cover. Yes, tensions. She who knows how to sew said the same and had a bit of a play with the doovers. It's much closer to good now. Some lessons:
    1. pins are very useful
    2. if you forget to put the foot down onto the material before you put the foot down onto the pedal you're doomed
    3. fancy triple-width zigzag is a miracle
    4. the devil invented pins to make men bleed and swear
    5. the Janome MW3018LE goes through 4 layers of sunbrella with a size 16 'denim' needle and high strength polyester, no dramas
    6. someone who sews is a sewist, not a sewer.

The boom cover is very worn and needs to be replaced It's OK for this summer, but it will provide me with an opportunity to design and make a nice compact stacker-type cover later on.

If someone would like to swap some sail/boat cover time for some car hoist time I know someone with a keen interest in making/repairing covers and broken car.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Replace the waterpump while it's accessible.
    That got done last year.

OK, that's a short enough interval as long as the coolant is the correct one. I got sold something with all the right numbers on the container but my waterpump ( in my last ute) dissolved in about 6 months. Inconvenient when it drops all the coolant 150 km from home.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I've never seen any sharks in Pt Stephens in nearly 30 years. I know of just one attack - a girl para..? ing was bitten on her arm a few years ago. Are you moving to Pt Stephens Chris?

Rick
    The J/36 is moving to Port Stephens, onto a mooring in North Arm Cove. The Spencer 28'er and the rest of the flotilla are going with us to Armidale where my wife will be working at UNE.

There's been quite a few media reports about the sharks in Port Stephens. I've never seen any when I've been there but I've been getting nervous. Luckily since much of my sailing will be on the dams around Armidale where the sharks are quite few and very shy, the overall risk will be low - but still enough to be scary when cleaning the hull or snorkelling. Glad to hear that they are not as common as the reports indicate.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    OK, that's a short enough interval as long as the coolant is the correct one. I got sold something with all the right numbers on the container but my waterpump ( in my last ute) dissolved in about 6 months. Inconvenient when it drops all the coolant 150 km from home.
    I think we had the radiator replaced as well.

The J/36 is moving to Port Stephens, onto a mooring in North Arm Cove. The Spencer 28'er and the rest of the flotilla are going with us to Armidale where my wife will be working at UNE.

There's been quite a few media reports about the sharks in Port Stephens. I've never seen any when I've been there but I've been getting nervous. Luckily since much of my sailing will be on the dams around Armidale where the sharks are quite few and very shy, the overall risk will be low - but still enough to be scary when cleaning the hull or snorkelling. Glad to hear that they are not as common as the reports indicate.
    Copeton Dam ?
    Grateful Dead

Fingers crossed for you Gary. That's a nightmare until you knw it isn't.

I managed to complete the immediately required repairs to Arawana's boom cover. Yes, tensions. She who knows how to sew said the same and had a bit of a play with the doovers. It's much closer to good now. Some lessons:
    1. pins are very useful
    2. if you forget to put the foot down onto the material before you put the foot down onto the pedal you're doomed
    3. fancy triple-width zigzag is a miracle
    4. the devil invented pins to make men bleed and swear
    5. the Janome MW3018LE goes through 4 layers of sunbrella with a size 16 'denim' needle and high strength polyester, no dramas
    6. someone who sews is a sewist, not a sewer.

The boom cover is very worn and needs to be replaced It's OK for this summer, but it will provide me with an opportunity to design and make a nice compact stacker-type cover later on.

If someone would like to swap some sail/boat cover time for some car hoist time I know someone with a keen interest in making/repairing covers and broken car.
    Done deal. Although I'm hoping your tension control improves somewhat. I don't know if you've noticed Balias multi coloured mainsail cover? I attached the blue bits! Proud I am. Not. Anyway, you are welcome to use one of the hoists any time, just give us a Hoi.

Doesn't sound like a timing belt Gary, if it started again. More like a fuel issue I'd say. Air leak? Probably just the filter seal. That's my bet.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    The other half of the scout troop had to sleep out in the rain.

Rick
    Isnt scouts coed these days? A one person tent should easily accommodate 2. If its rainy.

Okay! Well, no need to be nervous. There are plenty of white pointers along Stockton Bight (Bite) but, although there are lots of surfers in the water along there every day, I don't think there's ever been an attack. I've heard about bull sharks around North Arm and Fame Cove but never heard of any problem. People swim in Pt Stephens all the time.

Rick

Sent from a phone.
    Try threading it through your new needles thereby gauging the thread , also try to break thread with your hands which will seperate heavier industrial thread from cotton.

Sounds like a good machine Bruce I will be on the lookout for that model, despite not being able to sew a straight line.
    Last edited by auscruisertom; 12-14-2017 at 04:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Try threading it through your new needles thereby gauging the thread , also try to break thread with your hands which will seperate heavier industrial thread from cotton.

Sounds like a good machine Bruce I will be on the lookout for that model, despite not being able to sew a straight line.
    The thread I used on my sail was V90 and you would slice a finger off before it broke.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post

Make sure Nellie advises you first. As always, my advice is worth what you pay for it There were a few on bumtree and evilbay, prices up to around $300.00, but good ones for much less. I got a great bargain with the one I bought, and there are bargains out there. The design has been in production for around 20 years according to the Janome shop here, so the bugs are all worked out. I'll let you know how it goes with the 'marine' grade UV treated yarn. It should be ok, because the yarn is lubricated somehow so that it doesn't overheat high-speed industrial machines. It's V92, around the same size that Gary used on his sail.
    Paperback E-book

And do try double sided tape, no pins. Probably special double sided basting tape, not picture hanging stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    And do try double sided tape, no pins. Probably special double sided basting tape, not picture hanging stuff.
    I can see myself loving double sided tape. Not. I have trouble tying my shoelaces some days. I picture a tangle of canvas and me in a knotted sticky mess. But I'll try it, just in case.

Sent from a phone.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    mmmmmm, christmas dinner.

I can see myself loving double sided tape. Not. I have trouble tying my shoelaces some days. I picture a tangle of canvas and me in a knotted sticky mess. But I'll try it, just in case.

Sent from a phone.
    Watch the Sailrite YouTube on building a stack pack if you haven't already.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    mmmmmm, christmas dinner.
    No PUNS I said, no bloody PUNS. Instead we get pins and bloody fingers. Sheesh.