Page 1146 of 1259 FirstFirst ... 146646104610961136114511461147115611961246 ... LastLast
Results 40,076 to 40,110 of 44047

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

I think I may have found my sewing machine. Going to have a look at 3:00pm. More info a little later, hopefully with photos.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Very annoying then! I found similar damage in just one little spot on the Folkboat so I do know how annoying it is!

I'm not suggesting you sheathe your boat but it is a reason to consider sheathing. Antifoul just doesn't last well on wooden hulls. Maybe it used to but it doesn't seem to now. I don't know why - maybe it's flexing or checking in the timber, maybe related to age of planking and fastenings? Anyway, we seem to get much better life out of sheathed hulls than unsheathed ones. The antifoul seems to crack up or something and that allows growth to settle more readily. Obviously if there are cracked or flaky bits of AF, worm can get in too.

I don't know what can be done apart from sheathing. Maybe some AF is more flexible than others? I tried several different ones with Pipsqueak but was never happy with any of them. I'll be interested to see what you do Chris! The upside of your damage is that it's not really hard to fix. The bigger issue is making sure it doesn't keep happening!

Rick

Chris, as a potential builder of a strip, double diagonal boat, what were your reasons for no glass cloth ? Asked as a genuine inquiry, I have a lot to learn.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Frankk bought a sewing machine. It's the same model that was recommended by the manufacturer's rep for sailcloth and canvas. New $440.00, used $80.00 and includes a walking foot, which I'm told is useful. Janome MW3018LE for those interested.

Sent from a phone.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Well bought Bruce !
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Chris, as a potential builder of a strip, double diagonal boat, what were your reasons for no glass cloth ? Asked as a genuine inquiry, I have a lot to learn.
    Peter, sheathing is on the agenda when/if budget allows, but factors against it have been cost mainly - it has to be soda-blasted first before dynelling (is that word?), primed and antifouled.
    The boat is at what was formerly the Halverson yard at Bobbin Head. Total cost to sheath for a 32' x 11' x 3' boat is around $10,000 once i include hardstand costs ($4.20 per foot per day), labour ($110 per hour) , materials ($no idea but probably a gulp-worthy amount) plus the usual contingency fee to allow for the inevitable unknown factors. Around Sydney, that's a cheap hardstand rate and explains why few owners around here can do their own work - hardstand charges eat up potential savings on labour - IF you can find anyone that allows DIY work.
    So the pragmatic solution is to slip it more often to check for any more worm attacks and touch up antifouling regularly.

If it was a new boat being built i'd most definitely sheath it.

Rick, i'd like to fix it myself but the above-mentioned hardstand issues make that real difficult. i also have limited capability so i will be providing the local shipwright with an unexpected bonus.
    Up until now ive been using Altex #5 without a problem so i'm suspecting that the last application (single coat, sprayed) wasnt as good as it should have been.
    I live 10-15 minutes from the yard so will be visiting regularly to check on progress.

Thanks Chris , yes, I can see that adding up fast !
    Grateful Dead

Well bought Bruce !
    Thanks. Sheila has had a try out of it and approves, although she has a bit of difficulty seeing the stitch pattern selector indicator. The seller was a bit sad to seee it go. Her mum is a dress maker so she was well taught. She has a new fancy schmancy machine that cost half a cruising yacht but she hasn't used it much because she likes the one she sold Frankk so much. It must have been causing issues because she forced herself to sell it so she will have to use the expensive one. That's her story, anyway, and she seems to be a lovely person so I believe her.
    Paperback E-book

I have a roll of material which needs making into sail covers, hatch covers and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I have a roll of material which needs making into sail covers, hatch covers and the like.
    Cool. I'm currently looking at info on the web to try to select the right needle and thread combo to sew that stuff. I wouldn't mind having a go at making a cover or two before loaning the machine to you to do the rest of your covers. Or I could do them for you if you can handle them coming back after going through a learning exprience of mine.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Thanks. Sheila has had a try out of it and approves, although she has a bit of difficulty seeing the stitch pattern selector indicator. The seller was a bit sad to seee it go. Her mum is a dress maker so she was well taught. She has a new fancy schmancy machine that cost half a cruising yacht but she hasn't used it much because she likes the one she sold Frankk so much. It must have been causing issues because she forced herself to sell it so she will have to use the expensive one. That's her story, anyway, and she seems to be a lovely person so I believe her.
    Carol likes the 401 Singer I bought and yes it seems to compare well with the fancy little machine she currently uses .
    Grateful Dead

Cool. I'm currently looking at info on the web to try to select the right needle and thread combo to sew that stuff. I wouldn't mind having a go at making a cover or two before loaning the machine to you to do the rest of your covers. Or I could do them for you if you can handle them coming back after going through a learning exprience of mine.
    I use a 120 needle. Lincraft sell large spools of polyester thread.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

All I know about thread is it needs to be UV stable.

Maybe teach yourself, then teach me. Give a man a fish, etc....

Quote Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
    Peter, sheathing is on the agenda when/if budget allows, but factors against it have been cost mainly - it has to be soda-blasted first before dynelling (is that word?), primed and antifouled.
    The boat is at what was formerly the Halverson yard at Bobbin Head. Total cost to sheath for a 32' x 11' x 3' boat is around $10,000 once i include hardstand costs ($4.20 per foot per day), labour ($110 per hour) , materials ($no idea but probably a gulp-worthy amount) plus the usual contingency fee to allow for the inevitable unknown factors. Around Sydney, that's a cheap hardstand rate and explains why few owners around here can do their own work - hardstand charges eat up potential savings on labour - IF you can find anyone that allows DIY work.
    So the pragmatic solution is to slip it more often to check for any more worm attacks and touch up antifouling regularly.

If it was a new boat being built i'd most definitely sheath it.

Rick, i'd like to fix it myself but the above-mentioned hardstand issues make that real difficult. i also have limited capability so i will be providing the local shipwright with an unexpected bonus.
    Up until now ive been using Altex #5 without a problem so i'm suspecting that the last application (single coat, sprayed) wasnt as good as it should have been.
    I live 10-15 minutes from the yard so will be visiting regularly to check on progress.
    Most people I know like the Altex 5. Given your situation, what else can you do? It really isn't such a big job tyo rout out that damaged area and grave new bits in. Hopefully it'll dry out reasonably quickly too, in this weather. It shouldn't cost toooo much!

I am interested in the reason they're recommending dynel for sheathing. Did they say why they prefer that to glass?

There is another product made specifically for sheathing. It's a type of polyester, I think. The company is Colan or something like that. I'd like to get some but you can only buy it by the roll and the roll is big and expensive. I have the details somewhere if anyone's interested.

Good luck with the repair, anyway!

Rick

I'm being given a tutorial on sewing machines and sewing basics by the chief sewing guru here. Relating it back to all the stuff I've crammed into my head from the net, while Sheila was out at choir, it is all terribly exciting! I'm working tomorrow from an early start while Sheila gives my new machine a good run finishing off a jacket she is making, and if I finish work early enough I'll be off to the Janome shop to buy needles and thread.

We looked up the walking foot model that came with it - they are actually $45.00, and this one hasn't been used. The $80.00 price tag seems very good. We'll see tomorrow when the machine gets a good workout.

I'm as silly as a school girl at Christmas *blush*

Sent from a phone.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Most people I know like the Altex 5. Given your situation, what else can you do? It really isn't such a big job tyo rout out that damaged area and grave new bits in. Hopefully it'll dry out reasonably quickly too, in this weather. It shouldn't cost toooo much!

I am interested in the reason they're recommending dynel for sheathing. Did they say why they prefer that to glass?

There is another product made specifically for sheathing. It's a type of polyester, I think. The company is Colan or something like that. I'd like to get some but you can only buy it by the roll and the roll is big and expensive. I have the details somewhere if anyone's interested.

Good luck with the repair, anyway!

Rick
    I used Altec 5 and was less than happy with it. I’ve switched to Jotun.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

I have a very basic brass grommet tool and about a squillion brass grommets if you need any for your experiments. On the downside, I have no spare moments until after Xmas, otherwise I'd come down and play.

The walking foot is a big plus for sewing multi layers. Use Tenara thread , expensive but superior to polyester - may be share the thread cost with your customers !!

Quote Originally Posted by Neil C View Post
    The walking foot is a big plus for sewing multi layers. Use Tenara thread , expensive but superior to polyester - may be share the thread cost with your customers !!
    I looked at thread options. The HDPE threads are crazy expensive - around $200 for a spool. They last forever, way past the life of the canvas. For a pro who can charge a bomb, it may be worth it, however it's just too expensive for sub-pro. Poly will last as long as canvas for boat covers and sail covers.
    Paperback E-book

However it always seams to be the stitching that fails first. I think I've seen its good to use special double sided tape to stick your seams together before you sew. Probably costs more than whatever thread you use, but for the work involved, worth the investment?
    Last edited by Phil Y; 12-12-2017 at 04:07 PM.

These foots are made fer walkin' so that's just what they'll do

Rick

How about Rayon, how does it last?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rayon-Su...75.c100623.m-1
    Grateful Dead

These foots are made fer walkin' so that's just what they'll do

Rick

And leaches?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luff said I guess

Does anyone know it's UV resistance ?
    Grateful Dead

Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Luff said I guess
    Sew it goes ....

Thread covers sale for sail covers thread

Almost

Rick

Is there an Antipodean sail cover thread?

There is now!

Just in case you're wondering, I think this sewing discussion is directly related to boats and an excellent example of what the thread was started for. I have no problem with discussion of other stuff anyway - I think that's great! I have asked that political stuff not be posted here - I think that's fair enough. If I yawn loudly at some discussions, that shouldn't be read as criticism or any perceived breach of any rule. It just means that topic doesn't interest me. That doesn't matter - it's not my thread.

I am disappointed that no one's applauded my terribly clever palindrome though.

And another thing ... I posted the 'foots are made fer walkin' partly as revenge against Bruce because I couldn't get that End of the World out of my head after his really nice performance (Bruce really does have great rhythm!). But it backfired as now I can't get that horrible boots song out of my head! Poetic justice?

Bruce, another sticky song quickly please!!

Rick

A while back there was discussion on ways of getting back on board from an MOB situation. This is a good idea and can be permanently stored along the toerail in it's own sock.

Also doubles as a bunk for crew who snore or, er... have wind.

I like it! How much?

Rick

Also doubles as a bunk for crew who snore or, er... have wind.

I like it! How much?

Rick
    You should join their marketing department Rick, that is a winner!

Oh and it can save lives too.
    Grateful Dead

I really do like it for wet boarding and rescue. I wonder how robust it is?

Rick

I thought a palindrome was just a word that goes both ways, who knew it was for sentences too? Off to Glenelg soon to get rid of a bed we've sold on gumtree. Well, Henley beach actually, but I had to chuck Glenelg in there.