Page 1142 of 1149 FirstFirst ... 142642104210921132114111421143 ... LastLast
Results 39,936 to 39,970 of 40193

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

If it's bad, go to sleep again and see if you wake up in a better place!

Rick

Wishing you NO hail Jeff, I hate heavy hail.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Looks like we will have to cancel our roadworks yet again.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Been gentle for an hour or two but it's just stepped up.
    Warm though, I've been out in the garden in just a pair of shorts.

Stop over in Fremantle with the Ovation of the sea in the background.

[IMG][/IMG]

Bit of water about in Victoria, but so far the worst has missed us. We got good soaking stuff not a deluge.

BTW, anyone remember my mast and boom glue joint failures? Well today it was the turn of the rudder. Just giving it another coat of varnish and 'it came apart in me 'and sir'.
    I will be interested to see if the old Sailfish hull holds together when sailed.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 12-02-2017 at 04:39 AM.

If it doesn't I hope it gives fair warning of the dissolution!
    Grateful Dead

I just hope the crash boat is close by to pick up the pieces as it disintegrates…………..

I'm sure the glue was the same, and likely given the evidence PVA. 1963 PVA!

Selleys 308 Resin?
    Grateful Dead

Amazingly smooth 3700 nm passage from Singapore to Adelaide mostly doldrums with some light winds.

With a quick stopover near Albany to winch of a very sick crew member.

[IMG][/IMG]

I reckon if you dangled me under a chopper out there I'd get a bit sick too. Hope they get better quickly, anyway. Doldrums are good for keeping the food on the plate and the plate on the table. Cheers
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

My brother cruises a lot. Me I'd rather chop my toes off one by one. A highlight of a recent cruise was the rescue of the crew of a yacht in distress. Quite the diversion from little cocktails with paper umbrellas.

Into our third day of constant, steady, drenching rain in Tassie. Wouldn't really want to be sailing.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    My brother cruises a lot. Me I'd rather chop my toes off one by one. A highlight of a recent cruise was the rescue of the crew of a yacht in distress. Quite the diversion from little cocktails with paper umbrellas.
    Possibly just as a means of getting from A to B ,ie Sydney to London rather than flying?
    Grateful Dead

No, they like flying too. They cruise because they enjoy cruising.

I crossed the Tasman twice on the SS Wanganella as a boy, that is how I'd like to travel to Europe. Yes, preferably as a boy..... but on a modest liner.

Grateful Dead

one of my friends recently bought this boat down in hobart, it's cedar strip and epoxy mostly, so it kind of fits in here. 35ft 80's racer.
    he said there's some issues with leaky windows and soft cabin top, so there's a bit of things to fiddle with. hopefully i'll be able to get down to go do some quick cruises with him next year https://yachthub.com/list/print_ad.html?de=203388

More a passage than a cruise. I believe one of this lot is a relo - IIRC, taken in 1908

The old man, second from left, on a cruise. Could be coming back from a four year stay in Adolf's Holiday Camp - given the mix of odd bods. They kept him in Old Blighty for six months to fatten him up, before sending him home.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

That should be a fun boat to sail.

A Diamond in the rough.

Looks good to me!

Rick

Hot August Night..... cough.

I got it after the hint.

Regarding sewing machines, I recently bought a Pfaff 138 on eBay for $130. It does zig zag and straight stitch and came from a children's shoe factory, so can handle sails fine. I'm still working out adjusting the tension for my material, but it sews like a bullet

SS Afric is the ship that a street in Largs is named after.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Built by Harland & Wolff, torpedoed and sunk in the Channel, whilst steaming for Sydney, in 1917
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    I love that there is a street in Largs called Cheapside St. That must have been before local councils were mostly made up of real estate developers.

I attended a "launch" of a proposed cargo,carrying schooner to be built at Franklin in Tasmania tonight. 80 feet on deck, about 18 feet wide, 7 foot draft, 100 tonnes. Mad buggers.

120 years too late.
    Grateful Dead

I attended a "launch" of a proposed cargo,carrying schooner to be built at Franklin in Tasmania tonight. 80 feet on deck, about 18 feet wide, 7 foot draft, 100 tonnes. Mad buggers.
    Gee, there's a novel idea. These ones are up to 200', 40' beam and carry up to 300 tonnes. Only one company still using sail... and that's just as an assist when winds are favourable. Reason for the rise of diesel over sail in these vessels - all of which have had the mizzen mast removed and the main mast lowered in height - cost of labour.

That's a still from a video my girlfriend's brother sent me. He's just back from installing a radar on a ship in Sulawesi... but if I'm not mistaken, this was taken in the Sunda Strait the other day. He had a photo of a large truck that rolled over on a ferry there too. The weather up in Sulawesi was pretty crook too - he said passenger ship movements were halted.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    120 years too late.
    Maybe, but most of the apparently insane schemes my dad involves himself in seem to come off one way or another. Who would send their cargo anywhere by sail you might ask? I certainly do. But then I reminded myself there's a wine company south of Adelaide, Temple Bruer, which has gone to quite extreme lengths to make themselves carbon neutral. They won't air freight their wine to you. Too much carbon footprint. If you want Temple Bruer wine in France, you have to wait for it to get there by sea. I reckon they'd be interested in sail freight, and would pay a premium for the privilege. I suspect other companies will hop onto the bandwagon in the coming years, some because they think it's vital to our future, some as a marketing device. Anyway, yes, I think they are crazy. If they just wanted to move freight, they should probably spend the money on trucks. But that's not really what it's about.

What build method and what timber?

Rick

Maybe, but most of the apparently insane schemes my dad involves himself in seem to come off one way or another. Who would send their cargo anywhere by sail you might ask? I certainly do. But then I reminded myself there's a wine company south of Adelaide, Temple Bruer, which has gone to quite extreme lengths to make themselves carbon neutral. They won't air freight their wine to you. Too much carbon footprint. If you want Temple Bruer wine in France, you have to wait for it to get there by sea. I reckon they'd be interested in sail freight, and would pay a premium for the privilege. I suspect other companies will hop onto the bandwagon in the coming years, some because they think it's vital to our future, some as a marketing device. Anyway, yes, I think they are crazy. If they just wanted to move freight, they should probably spend the money on trucks. But that's not really what it's about.
    Is it a historical replica of an apple and timber freighter or a "modern" general freight carrier ?
    Grateful Dead

Well once again the road works are canceled. The rain yesterday rendered the gravel at the quarry unusable.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

My computer is normal again Gary .... very strange !
    Grateful Dead