Page 1133 of 1145 FirstFirst ... 1336331033108311231132113311341143 ... LastLast
Results 39,621 to 39,655 of 40061

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Do we know Henry ? Broken pelvis ???
    Henry is Phil's son - the one building the Nutshell Pram. The last time I saw Henry he was attempting, successfully, to move from one end of the interior of Balia to the other without touching the floor. Hope it heals soon Phil!

Really sorry to hear about Duncan!! Please give him our best regards Peter! I thought I'd be in Southport this weekend but now it looks like it'll be another couple of weeks. Hopefully Duncan will be out of hospital by then.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I was wondering if you were going to mention it.
    I wasn't sure but this group are all friends of Dunc.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Very true.

Sometime back I bought a deck hatch similar to this.

I had planned to use it in a cockpit rebuild but there is no place for in the new cockpit I have now. Now I mentioned replacing the old companion way hatch with a skylight but I discovered today that this hatch is the perfect width for the space, so I'm going to use it there.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Here's another for your fleet Jeff:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Timber-O...4AAOSwNchZ~TYW

Rick

And this one would be perfect for Duncan!!

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mirror-S...8AAOSwrFtaATks

Rick

I might have a home with a club member for the OK, he was Vic champ once upon a time.

I see the mirror comes with a crew………………….. and ammunition for discouraging other boats……….

BTW, the International Cadet on stands in my shed is 3228, Jolly Roger. Built in 1961 for John Irving at the Sandringham Yacht club by Customcraft.
    Not long prior to that I was sailing my step brothers VJ from Black Rock, and the name is some how familiar.

Very true.

I had planned to use it in a cockpit rebuild but there is no place for in the new cockpit I have now. Now I mentioned replacing the old companion way hatch with a skylight but I discovered today that this hatch is the perfect width for the space, so I'm going to use it there.
    I have two smaller versions in WB cockpit be aware they may leak and the plastic locking tabs are prone to breaking.

Amazing bit of plywood scarfing on Redwing.

On the subject of injuries Duncan rolled his mower and has a nastily broken leg and a few cracked ribs.

He in Gold Coast Surgical hospital for a little while. He's OK and in good spirits.
    He seems to be making a habit of it! Hope his leg heals.

I was wondering if you were going to mention it.
    I must have missed something. Why would such a mishap not be mentioned?

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    I have two smaller versions in WB cockpit be aware they may leak and the plastic locking tabs are prone to breaking.

Amazing bit of plywood scarfing on Redwing.
    It’s all butt blocks Tom, scarfing would have taken too long.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

[/QUOTE]I have two smaller versions in WB cockpit be aware they may leak and the plastic locking tabs are prone to breaking.

Amazing bit of plywood scarfing on Redwing.[/QUOTE]

Tom,
    Ive got one into the void under the cockpit on my build and I am worried how they cope with being stood on. Any experience with this?

Thanks,
    Mal
    Quest

Moving slowly towards a Welsford Sundowner.

Hobart Wooden Boat Festival 2017, or maybe 2019ish??

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...undowner-build
    http://sundownerbuild.blogspot.com.au/

Very true.

I wouldn't trust the plastic. I've got four aluminium ones around here somewhere that I never got around to installing. Gumtree coming up... or fleabay
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Tom,
    Ive got one into the void under the cockpit on my build and I am worried how they cope with being stood on. Any experience with this?

Thanks,
    Mal[/QUOTE]

The two installed in WB cockpit sides are approximately 12”x8” .They need to be installed perfectly level otherwise the plastic frame will be distorted causing additional leaks around the rubber seals, also the closing tap pressure is limited and prone to breaking, mine would probably be strong enough to withstand moderate foot traffic.

I found mine leaked after my cockpit collected several inches of water during a violent squall due to one blocked drain.

While checking the cockpit drain later I found a 1960s copper 50 cent piece lodged in one of the drains

There's no such thing Tom. Must have been a penny if it's copper. On the other hand, if you do find it's a copper 50 cent piece, I'd be happy to take it off your hands for ..... well, lots!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    And this one would be perfect for Duncan!!

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mirror-S...8AAOSwrFtaATks

Rick
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

There's no such thing Tom. Must have been a penny if it's copper. On the other hand, if you do find it's a copper 50 cent piece, I'd be happy to take it off your hands for ..... well, lots!

Rick
    You are probably right the colour is most likely due to corrosion and possibly a high copper content in the 50 cent piece.

I shall post a picture when we return from our holidays.

Grateful Dead

You are probably right the colour is most likely due to corrosion and possibly a high copper content in the 50 cent piece.

I shall post a picture when we return from our holidays.
    I suspect that it's due to the high silver content. The early ones ended up being worth more for their base metal than the face value of the coin.

This from the interwebs:

Australia adopted the British sterling silver (92.5%) standard for it's coinage when coins were first minted in 1910. Australian silver coinage continued to adhere to the silver standard until 1946 when the silver content of silver coins was debased to 50%. Australian silver pre decimal coins were minted with 50% silver until 1964 when production stopped in preparation for the introduction of decimal coinage in 1966. When decimal coinage was issued in 1966 the 50 cent coin contained 80% silver, but because the silver content exceeded the face value of the coin it was withdrawn and consequently minted for only one year with a new cupro nickel 50c coin issued in 1969.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Does anyone need a tender ?
    Yep. The price is right, the location isn't. Well spotted though.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Peter, check your PMs!

Rick

I've emptied the box, please tell me if that worked .
    Grateful Dead

Tom,

Thanks,
    Mal
    The two installed in WB cockpit sides are approximately 12”x8” .They need to be installed perfectly level otherwise the plastic frame will be distorted causing additional leaks around the rubber seals, also the closing tap pressure is limited and prone to breaking, mine would probably be strong enough to withstand moderate foot traffic.

I found mine leaked after my cockpit collected several inches of water during a violent squall due to one blocked drain.

While checking the cockpit drain later I found a 1960s copper 50 cent piece lodged in one of the drains[/QUOTE]

Noted. It will be up high and mounted flat so it shouldn't leak. If it doesn't work or breaks I'll just replace it with perspex as per original plan.

John Welsford

Amazing bit of plywood scarfing on Redwing.[/QUOTE]

Tom,

Thanks,
    Mal[/QUOTE]

The one I've got feels strong enough to stand on, though I haven't tested it...but I shall do so before I fit it.

John Welsford

John Welsford

I know that oily swell, usually means nothing good coming.

Glorious day here, no wind early so I took the kayak. Breeze came up about 3pm, hopefully good for tomorrow's sailing.

I was going up to the boat today but I’m thinking a day off doing stuff would be nice...might do a bit of pottering in the shed.

John Welsford

I've been working up some new casting patterns, cleats, paired fairleads, chain stoppers, chain pipes.That sort of thing. The idea being to be able to generate a bit of extra income on top of the age pension.
    Grateful Dead

Thanks all for the hatch comments I've put a ply pad for it to sit on and give extra support, guess Ill just have to wait and see. Might paint the cockpit first when I get back and start walking around on it and see how it goes.
    Quest

Moving slowly towards a Welsford Sundowner.

Hobart Wooden Boat Festival 2017, or maybe 2019ish??

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...undowner-build
    http://sundownerbuild.blogspot.com.au/

I've been working up some new casting patterns, cleats, paired fairleads, chain stoppers, chain pipes.That sort of thing. The idea being to be able to generate a bit of extra income on top of the age pension.
    Hmm, that's good to hear! How about this idea? I think you could cast cowl vents in two parts - a bowl shape that can be fastened to a tube shape. In my feeble knowledge of casting, I think that should be easy enough. What do you think?

I'm also still interested in casting some mushroom vents.

Rick

Hmm, that's good to hear! How about this idea? I think you could cast cowl vents in two parts - a bowl shape that can be fastened to a tube shape. In my feeble knowledge of casting, I think that should be easy enough. What do you think?

I'm also still interested in casting some mushroom vents.

Rick
    Feasible but casting in one piece is easier ....except for the pattern making . There is no machining required.
    Grateful Dead

If you tell me what you need, I can make the pattern.

Rick

Is this the kind of thing you have in mind ? The hardest part of this is making a core box for the core for the inside of the shape .

A core is a device used in casting and moulding processes to produce internal cavities and reentrant angles. The core is normally a disposable item that is destroyed to get it out of the piece. They are most commonly used in sand casting, but are also used in injection moulding.

This shows a core in place, the molten metal will fill the remaining openings. Making the mould of form the core in is the fun part.

Grateful Dead

Remind me not to idly peruse Gumtree. I chanced upon an ad for an aluminium rig which looks about the right size for Balia. Masthead rig, 4 spreaders. rod rigging, pro furl furled, solid vang, and a boom and all running gear. I've been pondering new sails for quite a while, like since I bought her. But to some extent that will be like putting lipstick on a pig. She's actually a bit tender, I reckon, but also somewhat under canvassed, I think. Part of that is probably ancient sails doing more sideways than forward pushing. Part of it is the whole Lord Riverdale twin keels experiment, she only carries about 5 tons of ballast, on a 20 ton boat, which I think is a bit light on. And if my physics is correct, one keel is actually pulling the leeward side down until it gets vertical, so she stiffens up remarkably once she's on her ear. But to start with that means only 2.5 tons of lead actually working to keep things level and straight until she's well over.

Anyway, I reckon the main mast in her must weigh, well, a lot. The mizzen takes 2 or 3 or 4 guys to lift, so the main must weigh a ton. Literally. A nice aluminium stick, with all the clever bits already on it, well that would be a fine, fine thing wouldn't it? I wonder if he's selling the sails too? Can't be any worse than my current suit.

And the most amazing thing? It's actually in Adelaide. Nothing is ever in Adelaide, and shipping a 60 foot mast anywhere is no small consideration.
    Last edited by Phil Y; 11-11-2017 at 10:29 PM.

Is this the kind of thing you have in mind ? The hardest part of this is making a core box for the core for the inside of the shape .

A core is a device used in casting and moulding processes to produce internal cavities and reentrant angles. The core is normally a disposable item that is destroyed to get it out of the piece. They are most commonly used in sand casting, but are also used in injection moulding.

This shows a core in place, the molten metal will fill the remaining openings. Making the mould of form the core in is the fun part.

Yes, exactly like that! I'm sure that, with David's assistance if I get stuck, and your guidance, I'll be able to make the pattern. Are you interested?

Rick

It would be a valuable pattern and worth the effort but I'm going to have to think about the core box !!
    https://shop.classic-boat-supplies.c...ic-cowl-vents/
    Are you an accurate woodturner ?
    Grateful Dead