Page 1130 of 1427 FirstFirst ... 130630103010801120112911301131114011801230 ... LastLast
Results 39,516 to 39,550 of 49938

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    So, Wednesday next week is looking good to get the boat out. Fingers crossed.
    I'm planning on taking Arawana up into Birkenhead near the lighthouse next Wednesday, subject to a couple of things happening. Plan is to stay on board a couple of nights up there. Might see you on the water.

Sent from a phone.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Second day of the Regatta. Wind, sunshine, 63 boats of all classes racing on the water in a loop and triangle course in several divisions.
    The winner, on rating rules, a Mirror. Very spectacular as we managed to set the course close to the beach, and owing to a steep shelving into the channel very close, like 2-3 meters at times. Pics to come in due course but not mine, I had no time. Hot one tomorrow but we are on the beach and the water is glorious. Foiling Moths and Sailboards are quite a thrill if not wooden, but could you argue that carbon is wood?

There is also this new website run by John Fairfax.
    www.victorianclassicdinghynetwork.org/

You're privileged to be involved with your club and those old boats Jeff, and Olive specially! That's a very significant boat!

Rick

Finished shaping and sanding bowsprit yesterday, will have a removable piece at the heel so it can be withdrawn (it will bear against the kingpost), shaping enough to enable withdrawing from the gammon iron (bronze) exercised my mind. Did a trial fitting of the gammon iron this morning, will need to glue a couple of wood shine to the stem, by the time I cleaned up the casting it was a bit big. Now the spreaders. The mast is not ready to step yet, have to make tabernacle, compression post and mast step, just wanted to get bowsprit/spreaders foster with the requisite 400 coats of varnish first, mast is up to 8 coats, only 392 to go Will use stainless for the mast step, making sure of no contact with other metals, the wooden equivalent would be much larger, on on
    the invisible man........

Progress! Sounds very good Adrian!

Rick

I would be inclined to paint the upper surfaces of the spreaders.

Sounds eminently sensible - but I'm anti-varnish at the moment.
    Painting the upper section of an otherwise varnished wooden mast white once struck me as peculiar but now makes much sense.

No boat work at all for me this long weekend. Cutlass bearings didn't arrive in time on Thursday and boat is now still in the marina hardstand area, where owners aren't allowed to work without supervision. OH and bloody S. So annoying, I'm considering shifting the boat because of the no-DIY rule.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thin sheet copper ?
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Thin sheet copper ?

Attached with little nails to let in little bits of rainwater. No thanks. Paint should be good for 10 years or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
    Painting the upper section of an otherwise varnished wooden mast white once struck me as peculiar but now makes much sense.

No boat work at all for me this long weekend. Cutlass bearings didn't arrive in time on Thursday and boat is now still in the marina hardstand area, where owners aren't allowed to work without supervision. OH and bloody S. So annoying, I'm considering shifting the boat because of the no-DIY rule.

So annoying! There are three boatyards up here and another in Newcastle that I use from time to time. The one at Nelson Bay is Noakes, the one in Newcastle used to be Noakes. Cove Marine is OCD re O, H and S. LTP Marina is pretty lax. But all of them allow, encourage and facilitate DIY and weekend access. Noakes even has better rates for weekend work. I know nothing about situations in Sydney but it sure sounds to me like you should use a different boatyard.

Rick

Copper could be glued on but I agree with Phil - paint whatever you can with a good two-pack and you'll get 10 years out of it.

Rick

Attached with little nails to let in little bits of rainwater. No thanks. Paint should be good for 10 years or so.

No tacks or nails , set in Sikaflex or one of the other deadly polyurethanes. Hold with tape until the goop has gone off.
    Grateful Dead

Working under those circumstances would have to be frustrating and a real concern for the rest of us. Sounds like greed liability and insurance gone mad.
    Fortunatley up our way things are still easy ,my usual 24 hour haul out at Tweed costing under $ 400 is done on the weekend with the help of my own pressure washer and keys for the slipway from Chris.

Did you catch the 18’s on the Harbour last week Chris.?

[IMG][/IMG]

Tom, the Flying Squadron races their fleet of traditional 18s every Saturday right through the sailing season. If you're in Sydney, you should see if you can get a ride or take the little ferry they charter to follow the race. Crewing is free. Ferry trips are a few dollars.

Rick

I'm having a bit of a clear out of boat gear. Good stuff will be sold for about half new price. Other stuff will be free or very cheap. PM me if there's anything you might need.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I'm having a bit of a clear out of boat gear. Good stuff will be sold for about half new price. Other stuff will be free or very cheap. PM me if there's anything you might need.

Rick
    I'll let everyone else get in first. I don't actually need anything for the boat other than a wide based coffee percolator. I have a long wish list of course, but nothing that I actually lack - unless you're selling a jib furler.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

I'm seriously thinking of painting my mast. The idea of lightly the mast and then applying 7 coats of two pack has no appeal at all.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Tom, the Flying Squadron races their fleet of traditional 18s every Saturday right through the sailing season. If you're in Sydney, you should see if you can get a ride or take the little ferry they charter to follow the race. Crewing is free. Ferry trips are a few dollars.

Rick
    Thanks Rick I will keep that one in mind.

Three seasick people fell off the back of a 6.4 metre boat off WA, on way from Rotto to Freo in the dark. None wearing life jackets. Skipper didn't realise they'd fallen overboard for some time. Rescued, all alive.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-2...-coast/9368528

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Three seasick people fell off the back of a 6.4 metre boat off WA, on way from Rotto to Freo in the dark. None wearing life jackets. Skipper didn't realise they'd fallen overboard for some time. Rescued, all alive.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-2...-coast/9368528
    How did they ever find them? Was that film showing heat sensitive images ?
    Grateful Dead

Seasick? Hmmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I'm seriously thinking of painting my mast. The idea of lightly the mast and then applying 7 coats of two pack has no appeal at all.

Mine are painted. The downside is you don’t know what’s going on under the paint until the mast falls down.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    How did they ever find them? Was that film showing heat sensitive images ?
    FLIR. One of our boats used to to locate 3 blokes in a tinny about 17 km out one night about 3 weeks ago.

Mine are painted. The downside is you don’t know what’s going on under the paint until the mast falls down.

That is why I varnished it originally but I reckon a two pack should be pretty tough.

Or the boom snaps. Arawana's Oregon boom didn't snap but there is a lot of damage that was well hidden under paint.

Sent from a phone.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    FLIR. One of our boats used to to locate 3 blokes in a tinny about 17 km out one night about 3 weeks ago.
    Impressive and cheap too!
    FLIR ONE Thermal Imaging Camera iOS Gen 3 Silver Adjustable Connector iPhone X!

1 viewed per hour

Approx.
    AU $265.62

US $214.98

• See details for delivery est.

• • Returns accepted - 30 days money back

Fits all iOS devices with Lightning port, including new iPhone X!

Grateful Dead

Spreaders will be painted on the upper side.

Spreaders will be painted on the upper side.

Could someone advise re attaching pictures, tried click and drag, tried Managing Attachments??

See if this works
    Attached Images Attached Images

After this, String Theory should be easy

At the risk of using foul language I have to admit that my wooden boats (the International Canoe and the 28'er) sit neglected, but the 'glass ones are running about. The sailing club here in Armidale has been down to about three regulars for some time, but it's now in a resurgence and most people are concentrating on Lasers. I talked up a coaching day midweek and we had 8 boats turn up, which is great for a small inland town. Then it was down to Lake Macquarie to spend the long weekend on the J/36 and pick up a new-to-us Laser for my wife. We had lovely wind (32 apparent at times) and lots of fun sailing both boats.

Moving house has really stalled fixing up the old 28'er, which is still on her trailer down the south coast. When I find a place for her up here I'll make the trip down to patch her from the log damage, try to float her off the trailer, get the trailer worked on and registered, and then hire a big 4WD and get some "oversize" warning signs on for the long trip up north. I'm trying to ignore the idea of getting her back afloat and just see the renovation as an end in itself, knowing that the chance to see the modifications in action will be enough motivation to ensure the project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwaterline View Post
    After this, String Theory should be easy
    I have a young friend who could explain that to you.

Just under 70 wooden boats for the Inverloch regatta in the finish. Sunday was brutally hot even on the water's edge but at 11 the flag's shifted and the sea breeze came up. Just enough to sail in. I had too much to do to get on the water but I sure got into it!
    Pretty successful show, well attended dinner, I'm stuffed, 32 already here again, 20 tomorrow and some rain hopefully.

There will be pics later.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwaterline View Post
    Could someone advise re attaching pictures, tried click and drag, tried Managing Attachments??
    Click on the photo icon. Looks like a picture of a tree.
    Choose From computer.
    Click on Choose File
    Select an image.
    Click on upload.
    If you want to post another image, do that again.