Page 1123 of 1126 FirstFirst ... 123623102310731113112211231124 ... LastLast
Results 39,271 to 39,305 of 39399

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    …and another, Tassie, needs about as much TLC as Arawana.
    https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/fran...ity/1157781124

She needs a lot more work than Arawana.

Of course, but I quite like her style.

I saw that one when I was in Tassy last. Sad to see a nice boat let go.........a sand and paint to protect the wood before it's too late I think.
    If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    I saw that one when I was in Tassy last. Sad to see a nice boat let go.........a sand and paint to protect the wood before it's too late I think.
    The detail in the ad says basically new cockpit and cabin, probably new deck, required. She needs a lot more than a new coat of varnish. I wonder why it all went so bad? Many many years of neglect? Varnish being much weaker than paint? Poor internal ventilation? Poor materials? Is she a cautionary tale of the folly of the epoxy encapsulation myth? But yes, she'd have been a beauty in her prime.

Thanks for those pictures Rick and sowing the seeds for another future cruise.

It sounds as if the hull and rig is sound plus an engine, a big project should someone so desire for $8000. I'd look if it were closer, like trucking distance.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Wee Barkie looking ship shape again.
    [IMG][/IMG]

That's Wee Barkie looking absolutely gorgeous Tom. Well done.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

The new Arawana boom arrived. It's well over engineered by my estimation, which I'm happy about. I'm almost at the stage of sending the mainsail to the sailmaker to have two reefing points added, just one more thing to go on Gumtree should do it. So on the strength of miracle brain medicine I'm thinking forward and wondering about the stack pack idea and whether I can make a reasonable job of it from scratch rather than a kit or an off-the-shelf job. I don't (yet) have a sewing machine capable of the job and Sheila's machine is in constant use making stage costumes. Maybe someone would like to go shares in one and we can either pass it round or work together to do some sail covers/boat covers/dodgy-dodgers and bumminees. I've had a quick look at the sailrite stack pack kits and wonder if there is enough DIY info out there without stealing their IP. Thoughts?
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

This could be good for someone down South .
    https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/tull...ebook-sailboat

Grateful Dead

Masina's boom had two Murray winches for reefing, and cheek blocks; no stack pack and no lazy jacks. I replaced the Murrays with much lighter winches that use a standard handle. The pair cost me less than a new Murray handle! I replaced the two cheek blocks with low friction rings. I haven't yet, but I intend to install lazy jacks. and I certainly recommend that you install them too. I won't have a stack pack because I think they're too expensive, too cumbersome and create too much windage but they're very popular and convenient so I can't say they're a bad idea - people do love them. I'll take some photos of Masina's reefing line setup. I think you could get away with having just one winch on the boom or even on the mast base or led back to the cockpit. You might not need a winch at all - Pipsqueak doesn't have one and is easy to reef. I think it's good to keep weight off the boom if you can, but also good to keep it all simple and intuitive. Will you put horns for reefing on/at the gooseneck? How will you go fitting the new boom to your mast?

Rick
    Last edited by RFNK; 10-13-2017 at 08:46 PM.

The existing mast/boom fitting will probably take the new boom extrusion. See photo 1 below. The section may need some moulding. I'll have a 300mm offcut to trial fit as the new section is longer than required.

Sent from my HUAWEI CUN-L02 using Tapatalk
    Paperback E-book

At the clew end a couple of eye bolts or one long double ended eye bolt will allow the existing topping lift and mainsheet attachments without any modification.

Paperback E-book

Three fabricated ss slide-like fittings will allow sail tack and clew to be attached, with an additional block and cleat for the outhaul.

Paperback E-book

A similar slide-type fitting in the underside profile for the vang.

Last edited by brucemoffatt; 10-14-2017 at 12:46 AM.
    Paperback E-book

Still not decided about the reefing at the tack end although there are plenty of options already installed at the mast base.

Paperback E-book

Still not decided exactly how to block and cleat the clew end either but will probably use that third slider fitting listed above with hook and pully through a 2x block arrangement to a simple cleat.

Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    The existing mast/boom fitting will probably take the new boom extrusion. See photo 1 below. The section may need some moulding. I'll have a 300mm offcut to trial fit as the new section is longer than required.

Not very clear what I meant there. The parts of the existing fitting including the mast slide part, the swivelled bracket attached to that including the horizontal thwartships pinned bit, with a longer pin or bolt and packers, to/through attachment plates on the vertical walls of the boom section. I think...

Paperback E-book

Anyway, next job is to make up a 300mm long dummy piece to model the new tack and clew ends to see what works.

Paperback E-book

Stunner of a day down here, no boating but we went to a Field Day.

Got a commission to make a new wooden boom on the strength of the one I made for myself.

The new Arawana boom arrived. It's well over engineered by my estimation, which I'm happy about. I'm almost at the stage of sending the mainsail to the sailmaker to have two reefing points added, just one more thing to go on Gumtree should do it. So on the strength of miracle brain medicine I'm thinking forward and wondering about the stack pack idea and whether I can make a reasonable job of it from scratch rather than a kit or an off-the-shelf job. I don't (yet) have a sewing machine capable of the job and Sheila's machine is in constant use making stage costumes. Maybe someone would like to go shares in one and we can either pass it round or work together to do some sail covers/boat covers/dodgy-dodgers and bumminees. I've had a quick look at the sailrite stack pack kits and wonder if there is enough DIY info out there without stealing their IP. Thoughts?
    Yes you can. Check the Sailrite video. And yes I'll go a share in an old singer or whatever.

If you can run your clew reefing lines internally I think that's a huuuuge plus. Could save many heads being torn off by loose reefing lines. Assuming you are running the clew lines forward so you do all your reefing work at the mast.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Masina's boom had two Murray winches for reefing, and cheek blocks; no stack pack and no lazy jacks. I replaced the Murrays with much lighter winches that use a standard handle. The pair cost me less than a new Murray handle! I replaced the two cheek blocks with low friction rings. I haven't yet, but I intend to install lazy jacks. and I certainly recommend that you install them too. I won't have a stack pack because I think they're too expensive, too cumbersome and create too much windage but they're very popular and convenient so I can't say they're a bad idea - people do love them. I'll take some photos of Masina's reefing line setup. I think you could get away with having just one winch on the boom or even on the mast base or led back to the cockpit. You might not need a winch at all - Pipsqueak doesn't have one and is easy to reef. I think it's good to keep weight off the boom if you can, but also good to keep it all simple and intuitive. Will you put horns for reefing on/at the gooseneck? How will you go fitting the new boom to your mast?

Rick
    JB has a stack pack on Riada. That's good enough for me! I certainly want one on Balia because the boom is so bloody high up. Almost need a cherry picker to get up there and put a reef in.

Oh and horns are definitely good.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    JB has a stack pack on Riada. That's good enough for me! I certainly want one on Balia because the boom is so bloody high up. Almost need a cherry picker to get up there and put a reef in.

OK, apart from what grows out of a cow's head, what are these horns you guys are talking about?
    Paperback E-book

Looks good Tom. Quick work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, apart from what grows out of a cow's head, what are these horns you guys are talking about?
    A hook each side of the gooseneck. When reefing you hook the tack reefing clew on, haul on the halyard, and that's the luff taken care of.

It's raining, real RAIN. Amazing !
    Grateful Dead

Blue gum horizontal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More to come, that big one is a bit more gnarly than most as it was at the end of the row.

Bruce next time you are at the berth, there's a tillerpilot on Balias cabin top, under the dodger. It's yours. If you can fix it, congratulations. If not, chuck it in the bin.

One of the reasons I'm not such a fan of the stack pack is just that - all the ones I'm familiar with have a zipper that runs along the top where it's very hard to reach. They seem a bit prone to failure and sticking/jamming - maybe I'm only familiar with old ones!

Bruce, when I got Masina she had a big lump of aluminium riveted into the mast end of the boom that was beak shaped - a very common design. This fitted onto the gooseneck so there was, in effect, a vertical pin and a horizontal pin forming the connection. In theory, this meant that the boom couldn't really swivel and, theoretically, stressed the connection at various angles. I made a new system whereby there's a pin that goes through the lump of aluminium to a head behind the block of aluminium, instead of the beak. This allows the boom to swivel freely, through about 180 degrees. It was easy to do. You could do a similar thing. I'll take some photos of that too - and the horns!

Rick

On the horns of a dilemma. I'm sure the zipper on my stack pack when I make it will function perfectly all the time.

50 mm in a bit over an hour ! The tank is overflowing and the dam is filling !
    Grateful Dead

It's so good to be back home again...it's nice to have earned some dollars though.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

On the horns of a dilemma. I'm sure the zipper on my stack pack when I make it will function perfectly all the time.
    You know, it probably will! When I had covers made for Masina's sails, I specified NO ZIPPERS. Both sailmakers insisted on zippers though, where one goes around the mast and one goes around the forestay, and said - if it doesn't work, we'll replace it with straps or whatever. Both have been fine and I'm very happy with the zippers. Zippers seem to have improved a lot. ....

I just did a quick search to see if there are stack pack reviews and found this http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexc...ot-Pro-and-Con It's a bit old but covers some of the issues, for and against, pretty well, I think.

Rick
    Last edited by RFNK; 10-14-2017 at 03:52 AM.