Page 1121 of 1216 FirstFirst ... 12162110211071111111201121112211311171 ... LastLast
Results 39,201 to 39,235 of 42540

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by Thad View Post
    This is page 1120, and I have enjoyed following the Antipodean connections around your neck of the ocean world. I hope not to make trouble. The last two weeks of September I taught "Fundamentals of Boatbuilding" at the WoodenBoat School, Brooklin, Maine. With 11 students we built two boats in two weeks. But, I had one woman and from Australia. She has a sister living in Blue Hill, next to Brooklin, but she took the course to see for herself what boat building is like. Her grandfather was Alf Jensen (I think I have the last name correct, maybe not) who built boats in Forster/Tuncurry. He started after WWII building ferries and fishing boats, but by the 1950s was building yachts designed by Alden, Stevens and Giles. She says he was meticulous and his shop is still intact. She has been given the shop and is intent on preserving it and using it to preserve the memory of the regions maritime history. She is searching for ideas on how to do this. She will be headed back home in the next few weeks. A fine person to have in my class.
    Wow, nice thing to be given! Good on her too for wanting to preserve it. The first thing that springs to mind for me, depending just where it is, is a combined boatbuilding school/tourist attraction. Along the lines of the Tasmanian Wooden Boat Centre in Franklin. She might want to establish it as a non profit, for access to government support and maybe relief from various taxes. There's a LOT of work involved in going this route, and hard to make a success of it, as you may know. But wow, I hope she does it.

From a register of NSW Boatbuilders i found online-

Builder Where Built First year Last year Type Number built Material Rig Propulsion Engines Ship Name

Jahnsen, Alfred (also spelt Jansen); also Jansen & Rogan Forster & Tuncurry 1945 1990 Yacht, Tug, Fishing 12 Wood Yawl, Sloop, 2mst Schooner Aux screw, Screw Motor A. Y. Balamara, Alma G. II, Beaver, Castlereagh, Catriona M., Catriona McDonald (Phyllis Graham, Catriona), Corroboree, Galatea M., Monterey (B.J.), Richard Allan, Rhumba, Tiki II

Still house building on Russell. Should be home Saturday though. Keep smiling you blokes.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Re Ripple. The land based 'replica' at Inverloch is due for a renovate and improvement to finish in December.
    I hope they can manage to get her looking a little more authentic. Big job BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Re Ripple. The land based 'replica' at Inverloch is due for a renovate and improvement to finish in December.
    I hope they can manage to get her looking a little more authentic. Big job BTW.
    Yes, the replica Ripple is a bit ordinary.
    Here is a replica worthy of the original Bass and Filnder's Norfolk. Built by Bern Cuthbertson and now located in Georgetown Tas. Built from Huon Pine with trunnels etc, I would be interested to know if others here knew of her existence or not.

A crew took her to NSW in 98, sailing without a motor and had a knock down near Gabo.

An article with some info:

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/30...of-hm-norfolk/
    If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question

Bern's other little adventure......

Peter, it's very close to 2000kg. I've put in some calls for quotes for just trucking the whole lot up.

BF, the problem with Coffs is the marina fees and the lack of cruising opportunities.
    Last edited by Chris249; 10-10-2017 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    Peter, it's very close to 2000kg. I've put in some calls for quotes for just trucking the whole lot up.

BF, the problem with Coffs is the marina fees and the lack of cruising opportunities.
    Lots of nice cruising around the islands, duck up to the Clarence for some flat water. Much difference in the fees?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Quite heavy for a trailer boat, especially to tow with a Falcon.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Lots of nice cruising around the islands, duck up to the Clarence for some flat water. Much difference in the fees?
    About $5000 per year. We may check it out come winter after we have adjusted to Port Stephens.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Add around a ton for the trailer and that's about double the legal weight for a Falcon
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Can't argue with any of that Rick. I hope you come back in due course.
    How to put this politely? I'd say there was one statement in "that", that was well out of order.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Yep, but it's not something to tow regularly; more something to take to regattas behind a 4wd; most crews seem to have at least one 4wd owner who is proud of his vehicle's towing performance. The Falcon comes in because we may need a second car when we move and they are a good cheap way of handling roads around the Hunter region which seems to have road surfaces that are far worse than those of any other part of NSW. If it could also tow the boat from the Travelift to a yard for annual maintenance or long-term storage it could be very handy.

I'm thinking about a new keel, and once one is looking at a new bulb it seems logical to make consider making it to break down into multiple parts that could be unbolted. The Etchells association reckons Etchells trailers like mine are about 350kg. If you stripped the ballast, engine and everything but the hull and mast you'd be looking at about 1.7-1.8 tons for boat and trailer; perhaps less. The BF wagon has a towing capacity of 2300kg.
    Last edited by Chris249; 10-11-2017 at 02:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Okay, one more post for the benefit of friends here who deserve an explanation. This thread was started as a forum to discuss and source ideas about Antipodean boats. Instead, it's rarely about boats and certainly wouldn't interest newcomers wanting to make connections re wooden boats. It was particularly aimed at ridding the forum of stupid political comment for those who didn't want their day spoilt by it - there are far better or more bilious forums available for that. I have no problem with people wanting to chat online about all sorts of stuff - why would I? I just don't really see why people choose a thread about wooden boats to do it in.

I have a love of the Pacific Islands and the coastal communities of Asia, the coral reefs and our own coasts. They're all being destroyed by global warming. I live at the mouth of Australia's greatest rural valley which has been almost completely destroyed by coalmining and power stations. Every day I see the huge ships carrying coal to be burnt in power stations elsewhere. I go to a thread supposedly about local wooden boats and instead of interesting stuff, I get idiots whinging about having to look at a few windmills. We have one beautiful planet. I have simply no interest in, care for or anything but contempt for those who don't care for it. You're wrecking our world, you don't care - I don't need my day spoilt by you as well. That's why I've had enough. Those of you who understand, please feel free to have a chat to me any time you like - I've always enjoyed your company etc. and love to hear how it's all going. Some of you think I'm being precious - that's fine, think that. Over the years, I've said plenty of naive and stupid things on the forum too. I've also tried to be generally helpful, cheer a few people up, tell some jokes, stimulate discussion etc. Often badly but the intent was mostly good. I've been slapped down when trying to actually help a few times and have grown tired of those who are so arrogant that they believe no discussion is called for or ideas called for, or even welcome. I'm actually not offended, I just think, why bother?

Rick
    Hmmm, I missed this along with that particularly pointed comment - at least I now know what you really think about us Rick, cheers, (and here I was thinking it was a discussion about where Rob was looking for a new home and why he was having difficulty with that....) I guess Kate and I won’t be dropping in for a coffee on our drive south next week
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

....and this is why its a good idea to keep political discussions in the bilge out of here. Larks, You know how rick feels about environmental issues, not what he really thinks about you personally. We need to put this in a bit of perspective. I will try, hopefully without offending any one.
    For a passionate environmentalist the wind farm issue is at the forefront of where powerful vested interests are deeply at play and the way it was written about is like the proverbial red rag to the bull. Rick is obviously a passionate environmentalist and has requested that forum members refrain from posting political content in this thread where he clearly started his intentions for the thread. When it strayed in that direction in the way it did, a fitting and respectful response from Rob apologizing for his posting about wind farms and then onto the labour party may have been an appropriate response to diffuse the situation. Rob equally may be totally sincere and genuine in his opinion on the wind turbines where he lives, and has every right to express them however the appropriate outlet is the bilge. I would hope that people of different political perspectives can remain in what i call internet frienship with the occasional meet up in the real world.

Um. let's not go down the American line here as well please.

Spot on Hallam. There's a thread in the Bilge called Oz Pol that is the place for ALL political wrangling .
    Grateful Dead

Yep, but it's not something to tow regularly; more something to take to regattas behind a 4wd; most crews seem to have at least one 4wd owner who is proud of his vehicle's towing performance. The Falcon comes in because we may need a second car when we move and they are a good cheap way of handling roads around the Hunter region which seems to have road surfaces that are far worse than those of any other part of NSW. If it could also tow the boat from the Travelift to a yard for annual maintenance or long-term storage it could be very handy.

I'm thinking about a new keel, and once one is looking at a new bulb it seems logical to make consider making it to break down into multiple parts that could be unbolted. The Etchells association reckons Etchells trailers like mine are about 350kg. If you stripped the ballast, engine and everything but the hull and mast you'd be looking at about 1.7-1.8 tons for boat and trailer; perhaps less. The BF wagon has a towing capacity of 2300kg.
    To get 2.3 tonnes behind a Falcon, you'd be doing some serious towing kit... separate cooler (not in the radiator), brakes on all wheels, load equalisers, break-away devices, etc. This from the RMS

If the vehicle manufacturer has not specified the maximum towing mass, the maximum towing mass is:

• One and a half times the unladen mass of the towing vehicle, provided that the trailer is fitted with brakes which are connected and in working order, or
    • The unladen mass of the towing vehicle if the trailer does not require brakes.

Vehicles with a manufacturer’s gross combination mass (GCM) more than 4.5 tonne may tow in accordance with the above requirements.The GCM is the gross combination mass of the car and loaded trailer.
    Braking system

The minimum braking system for a trailer depends on the type of trailer, its weight and the weight of the vehicle:

• 0 – 750 kg loaded weight – no brakes required.
    • 751 – 2000 kg loaded weight – braking on both wheels on at least one axle.
    • 2001– 4500 kg loaded weight – braking on all wheels, and an automatic breakaway system in case the trailer becomes detached from the vehicle.

Brakes must be operable from the driver’s seating position.

Spot on Hallam. There's a thread in the Bilge called Oz Pol that is the place for ALL political wrangling .
    Where's the spot in the bilge for calling people "idiots"? So, Rick runs off Rob and you're happy with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    Yes, the replica Ripple is a bit ordinary.
    Here is a replica worthy of the original Bass and Filnder's Norfolk. Built by Bern Cuthbertson and now located in Georgetown Tas. Built from Huon Pine with trunnels etc, I would be interested to know if others here knew of her existence or not.

A crew took her to NSW in 98, sailing without a motor and had a knock down near Gabo.

An article with some info:

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/30...of-hm-norfolk/
    No, until you posted I had no idea of her existence !
    Grateful Dead

Where's the spot in the bilge for calling people "idiots"? So, Rick runs off Rob and you're happy with that?
    No, i wouldn't say I'm happy with it but I think it's appropriate to cut 'whoever' a bit of slack in situations like this where so much of the nuance of communication is missing from the printed page.
    Last edited by Hallam; 10-11-2017 at 05:42 AM.

Neither did I until my brother in law who lives in Launceston told me. I have always been drawn in by the travels of Flinders and Bass and wondered what their boats where like and the Norfolk replica was such a perfect answer to my imaginings. What a sweet little ship she must have been in the hands of a capable boatman. The diligence and acquired knowledge that must have gone into their avoiding disaster when poking about the coastline seems to me beyond the skill of most yachtsmen these days. I have always been in awe of their achievements and seamanship.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Um. let's not go down the American line here as well please.

Too late, the originator of this thread has blatantly and quite profoundly called two of us idiots - I’d say that’s pretty much set the tone that this has indeed now gone down that route.

Suggesting that our comments overstepped some political boundary was, to me, extraordinary and those continuing to suggest that they were is ridiculous. I thought I had overstepped by discussing Hallams issues in Sorento, I’m not aware of what politics may be behind the wind turbines and am shocked at Rick’s response and comment directed at both Rob and I, my comments were purely agreeing that their noise can be unbearable.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Another few photos Hallam

Grateful Dead

Thanks for the responses, Phil and Peter (and Rick in a PM). The shop is in Forster, NSW, 400km north of Sydney.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Okay, one more post for the benefit of friends here who deserve an explanation. This thread was started as a forum to discuss and source ideas about Antipodean boats. Instead, it's rarely about boats and certainly wouldn't interest newcomers wanting to make connections re wooden boats. It was particularly aimed at ridding the forum of stupid political comment for those who didn't want their day spoilt by it - there are far better or more bilious forums available for that. I have no problem with people wanting to chat online about all sorts of stuff - why would I? I just don't really see why people choose a thread about wooden boats to do it in.

I'm actually not offended, I just think, why bother?

Rick
    We all have the common bond which centres around wooden boats and In participating all agreed to the terms and conditions set out on page one Politics being the key word. Granted sometimes we can get of track as I undoubtedly have in the past.
    We are obviously all disappointed since hearing of the ABC founders proposed resignation , however let's not get carried away with our emotions, and misinterpret Ricks statements or read things into them that may not even apply.

Rick "why bother" because it's a great resource of information despite some of the irrelevance which most readers can just ignore.

To get 2.3 tonnes behind a Falcon, you'd be doing some serious towing kit... separate cooler (not in the radiator), brakes on all wheels, load equalisers, break-away devices, etc. This from the RMS

If the vehicle manufacturer has not specified the maximum towing mass, the maximum towing mass is:

• One and a half times the unladen mass of the towing vehicle, provided that the trailer is fitted with brakes which are connected and in working order, or
    • The unladen mass of the towing vehicle if the trailer does not require brakes.

Vehicles with a manufacturer’s gross combination mass (GCM) more than 4.5 tonne may tow in accordance with the above requirements.The GCM is the gross combination mass of the car and loaded trailer.
    Braking system

The minimum braking system for a trailer depends on the type of trailer, its weight and the weight of the vehicle:

• 0 – 750 kg loaded weight – no brakes required.
    • 751 – 2000 kg loaded weight – braking on both wheels on at least one axle.
    • 2001– 4500 kg loaded weight – braking on all wheels, and an automatic breakaway system in case the trailer becomes detached from the vehicle.

Brakes must be operable from the driver’s seating position.
    Yep, but it's possible.

Yep, but it's possible.
    If not advisable. Then again, I once saw a Dragon exceed 100 kph... backwards

Meanwhile, I'm off on a trip to Indonesia in a month's time. Must remember to take some boat photos. Indonesia is Antipodean, isn't it? About five and a half weeks up there. Transit through Bali without leaving the airport, but plan time in Java and Sumatra. Won't be as remote as last time, but there's some interesting stuff planned - both work wise and on the weekends

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    We all have the common bond which centres around wooden boats and In participating all agreed to the terms and conditions set out on page one Politics being the key word. Granted sometimes we can get of track as I undoubtedly have in the past.
    We are obviously all disappointed since hearing of the ABC founders proposed resignation , however let's not get carried away with our emotions, and misinterpret Ricks statements or read things into them that may not even apply.

Rick "why bother" because it's a great resource of information despite some of the irrelevance which most readers can just ignore.
    I agree Tom, I think Rick became overly annoyed ..... I appreciate he REALLY wants to keep this thread politics free but he may have over reacted .... IMHO. Perhaps just restating the "rules" of the thread would have sufficed.
    Grateful Dead

Same. What a delightful but well kept secret!

If not advisable. Then again, I once saw a Dragon exceed 100 kph... backwards
    I've towed bigger. It's just for potentially tootling over short distances with care, at moderate speeds and in the right conditions.

I agree Tom, I think Rick became overly annoyed ..... I appreciate he REALLY wants to keep this thread politics free but he may have over reacted .... IMHO. Perhaps just restating the "rules" of the thread would have sufficed.
    Just the statement that there are "rules" is enough to virtually guarantee they will be broken.

It's always been understood that the focus of the thread is boating and boaties in this neck of the woods.

Trying to set "rules" on an open forum is bizarre and destined to disappoint. It isn't a kindergarten class and wider interests will always surface. If they are of sufficient interest, they spawn their own thread.

Now, did I ever tell you about the time I went boating with a politician?

I've towed bigger. It's just for potentially tootling over short distances with care, at moderate speeds and in the right conditions.
    Ford will limit you to 80kph.... even if the boat doesn't complain.

Re the 350kg trailer.... that seems awfully light to me. Car trailers are nominally regarded as weighing one tonne with most guys I've spoken to.

Missprint - conservative weight is 550, which may still get the stripped down boat down to weight. Probably easier to get my hands on a 4WD for towing regularly but there's no harm in looking at options. Etchells trailers are light, probably because weight is centralised.

Towing at 80kmh is no problem since it would not be for long distances or regularly; more a once every couple of years thing.