Page 11 of 1259 FirstFirst ... 10111221611115111011 ... LastLast

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Oz Connection

Boats like this one, my new no. 1 'if this boat is ever up for sale ....'

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I'll be interested in having a look at that Gary ...Like everyone else I have pile of old slides that I'd love to be able to see again .

Is it like this ? Windows XP or Vista ?http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Otek-FS-5...item1e625429ba
    Hi Peter mine is the FS500-S1.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Should I mention again why I use Windows products?
    I still prefer Linux.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I don't mind those Tupperware bob sleds. When you see them really take off, especially in light wind when everything else is wallowing, they're pretty impressive! It is good to see the oldies in the race though. I'd rather see a few Payne designs and other classics of that ilk than those big reproductions and rebuilds from Europe.
    Rick
    I guess so: Still waaaay more impressive than auto-racing any day of the week. I did watch some of the ISAF World Championships and the 49ers are pretty amazing as far as Tupperware bob sleds go. Why not have a few of the oldies like the Paynes (that's a Tassie Seabird is it not?), Fidelis et al and some of the big new Js and older Fifes and the like. I might have to write a letter to the CYCA and make a suggestion...
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

No, that's a Holman, about 38 or 40'.
    Rick

It is absolutely bucketing down here in Brisbane.

Not bad here. Some blue sky even...

I just got lucky and discovered that lobster I bought for Chrissy... I reckon another day and I might have had to chuck it. Its gone now.... in the nicest possible way though.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Glad it went to a good belly Ian.
    I delivered my Son and his family back to Brissy today and I'm staying the night...head home tomorrow. Getting in lots of quality Granddaughter time.

Nice weather in Metung.

No reef today.

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.

Mark Twain

Nice shot!
    Rick

Very nice shot !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Unfortunately the wind eases near shore.

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.

Mark Twain

Well, our friend's son on Duende dislocated his shoulder so they're out of the big race. Very disappointing as the whole family's flying to Hobart to meet him today. Instead, he'll be flying with them! Jessica Watson's boat is doing really well, pretty amazing for such a young crew.
    Rick

Well again, the little dog was lost and is now home with the happy owners - hope they look after her a little better now .... Anyway, a happy ending. Woody's unpacking his bag now and seems a bit more relaxed.
    Rick
    Last edited by RFNK; 12-27-2011 at 07:55 PM.

"Woody's unpacking his bag now and seems a bit more relaxed."

Does 'em good to get a start every now and again. Doggie complacency and all that.

That's right. Take this as a warning, m'lad, I said. I know where your shoes are kept said he, though.
    Rick

The inside of the shed is pretty close to complete now - just a few minor things to complete. I'm very happy to have a whole lot more space now:

Rick

Ooh, table saw envy!!!!............ (and thicknesser envy,.....and band saw envy........)
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I'm pretty happy with them. They're all Chinese but all well made and solid. I used the thicknesser for the first time yesterday to clean up two 150 x 150 blackbutt, very old, posts for the renovation and it handled them really well. The feed tables are really strong. These posts weigh a lot - they're about 3m long. I don't have the dust extractor connected to the thicknesser yet so it covered the whole shed in shavings. After I cleaned it all up I thought I'd better snap a few shots as it's pretty rare for it to look so tidy!

By the way, it looks like Duncan won't be able to get all the flooded gum I need from the logs he has now so I'll probably make a trip soon with a trailer and then another later in the year when he can cut some more. So, if we're going to use this northerly expedition as an excuse for an EBS or day of tipping boats over, then let me know when would suit the northern neighbours and I'll see if that can suit us.

Rick

Well , back from the balated Christmas "do" , and it was the best trip we have had for some time .
    We made the trip there (to Nthn Melbourne) and return a nostalgia trip , going through the countryside where we spent 40 years of our lives , after we were married.
    The country is enjoying the best season for maybe 15 years , looking magnificent , and it was good to drive it again , even if it was in a car , rather than a horse drawn carriage , and to talk to old friends.
    But some of the areas are setting themselves up for another devastating big burn , the old occupants have largely died off or moved out , and the new occupants have scant regard or respect for fire , and it will be to their peril .
    The "do" was good , if noisy. Seven adults , and 6 boys !.
    I had a chuckle at one stage . There was an IT expert , and THREE scientists trying to sort out a dish washer !(unsuccessfully). One of the non scientists had the correct answer (its just a s--t design!).
    Its good to be back in our "new" home though !.
    Regards Rob J.

Nice weather again in Metung. We sailed into Purran Corner just to see if we could.

The entrance was a bit shallow but no problem for us.

Had a rest on the beach till the fly drove us off.

Here's the whole trip. We cut lots of sea grass and left centerboard tracks in the mud most of the way there, just the way I like it, heh.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I'm pretty happy with them. They're all Chinese but all well made and solid. I used the thicknesser for the first time yesterday to clean up two 150 x 150 blackbutt, very old, posts for the renovation and it handled them really well. The feed tables are really strong. These posts weigh a lot - they're about 3m long. I don't have the dust extractor connected to the thicknesser yet so it covered the whole shed in shavings. After I cleaned it all up I thought I'd better snap a few shots as it's pretty rare for it to look so tidy!

By the way, it looks like Duncan won't be able to get all the flooded gum I need from the logs he has now so I'll probably make a trip soon with a trailer and then another later in the year when he can cut some more. So, if we're going to use this northerly expedition as an excuse for an EBS or day of tipping boats over, then let me know when would suit the northern neighbours and I'll see if that can suit us.

Rick
    You'll be the one doing the travelling Rick so we'll work in with you. A very nice shed ! But the impressive part is how clean it is !! I never ever achieve a 10th the neatness you display ,I guess a dirt floor in 70% of my shed doesn't help .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I'm jiggered!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Another young buck with no stamina
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

This is prolly a dumb question but.... I've just about finished taking the old tape off the bottom seam of my sons Sabre.
    After I re tape it, is there any way of checking for leaks without actually putting it in the water?

I'm restoring it on my back veranda. If possible I want to re-tape and repaint without having to get it back to the club to test , as I dont have a trailer and moving it back and forwards on and off the veranda is impossible on my own, so the fewer moves the better.

Yep. Put it up on the trailer or some saw stools and put the hose into it. If water drips out then, well, back to the drawing board!
    Rick

but don't fill it all the way up.... you might break it

If you do suspect there are leaks and don't want to get it all wet, turn it upside down at night with a light in it and see if any light shines through. If there's no light coming through, then do the hose thing. As Ian says, not a good idea to fill it right up! Just put enough water in th test that keel area. Leaks anywhere else will be more obvious.
    Rick

I like the torch Idea
    I was going to fill it with water and look for drips, but then thought that the pressure of water from the inside wouldn't be as great as the pressure from the outside, like when its in the lake with 2 people aboard ?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Another young buck with no stamina
    I didn't say "I gave up and called the milling off," but merely that I was jiggered. Seven logs cut today and about two and a bit cubic metres of timber extracted. The old Flooded Gum logs I bought way back when have really seasoned nicely and are coming off the saw with considerably less spring in them.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    I didn't say "I gave up and called the milling off," but merely that I was jiggered. Seven logs cut today and about two and a bit cubic metres of timber extracted. The old Flooded Gum logs I bought way back when have really seasoned nicely and are coming off the saw with considerably less spring in them.
    Yeah.... you sound jiggered. That's a lot of logs to cut in a day. Well done.

Incidentally, someone I know ran a hybrid gum through a mill once. One of the boards did a 90 degree bend after it came off the straight log.

Thats hilarious the old Maximus winning the SH. shame about the protest bumf.

Pretty nit picky eh! Particularly when Wild Oats said they wouldn't want to win line honours under these circumstances. I don't see what the difference would be if Investec was within visual range or was just over the horizon: They could have sent a fella aloft to have a Captain Cook anyway. Pedantry! Sheer bloody pedantry!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

The big windsurfers in the SH don't really interest me.
    Rick the house renos look like they are coming along nicely and I'm dead envious of that great sailing wind you had there...I mean, compared to the dead calm when I was down.
    Just a tad envious of that very tidy shed as well.

Slow drive home from Brissy yesterday, too much holiday traffic. Not too many idiots though which was good.
    Having a slow morning but I'm working on the boat today.

It seems to be more professional curiosity than outside assistance. The guy on IL who asked about the sails on WO had actually made those sails and it sounds like he wanted to know whether a specific sail had survived the blow. Then again, that may just be spin.