Page 1093 of 1145 FirstFirst ... 935939931043108310921093109411031143 ... LastLast
Results 38,221 to 38,255 of 40061

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Excellent. Will do.

Lifted from Gary's Facebook page.

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Ouch! So, port tack only, then?

Gary is giving a lesson in plywood construction and things that can go wrong . I reckon I'll have any enclosed ply CCA impregnated first.
    Grateful Dead

There's nothing wrong with plywood construction and it certainly doesn't need to be impregnated with any preservative.

Rick

But if it is it doesn't rot ever.https://www.woodsolutions.com.au/Woo...reated-Plywood

A friend of mine who owned Pelican's Slipway in Brisbane, Redland Bay built some walkway pontoons out of exterior ply about 25 years ago. They have received very minimal maintenance and are basically closed ply boxes exposed to Queensland heat and humidity. When he built them he dry assembled them, disassembled them, strapped them up and sent the ply and pine framing off for CCA impregnation. They were then assembled with epoxy and glassed outside. He also did all the repair jobs on customer's boat with CCA hoop pine.

25 years later they are still in service and show no rot.

It doesn't need to be done but if it is that ply will not rot.
    Grateful Dead

Worth considering id have thought, as ply is notorious for rotting wherever any water gets in. of course in a perfect world no water gets in, but my world is not perfect.

I'm not suggesting that treating plywood in that way is a bad thing. I'm just saying that it doesn't need it. Plywood, like any other material, needs to be used in ways that suit that material. If you built a boat of epoxy and glass, it would fall apart under the sun in no time if it wasn't coated with suitable gel coat, paint or whatever. Same for timber and the same for plywood. If you use substandard plywood, leave it covered in leaves in a shed, then build a boat with it and leave that boat covered only with paint, then it's not going to last very long.

There are thousands of plywood boats - Bluebirds, Daydreams, Diamonds etc. built in the 1950s, 1960s and so on that remain in great condition because of the way they were built and the way they've been looked after. Don't blame the plywood when plywood boats fall apart.

Masina has a plywood deck and transom - 1975 - no sign of any rot, no treatment but external sheathing. Pipsqueak is all plywood - 1963 - no rot. The plywood though, was treated with a preservative. The preservative is hygroscopic, which means it holds moisture. The problem with that is that the moisture slowly damages the copper fastenings. If I could wind back the clock, I'd have used untreated ply planking (as it's far superior to solid wood for clinker construction) and make sure the deck is sheathed, all penetrations are waterproof etc., so that the boat would last much longer and not need refastening.

Rick

You are correct of course Rick.

I guess I was thinking Gary's problems.
    Grateful Dead

It's actually pretty easy to waterproof a plywood deck. Even I can do it. Pipsqueak's deck was waterproofed by me 10 years ago. It was sheathed. Every deck penetration was run into epoxy plugging and sealed with a flexible sealant. Little plates were used to cover the chainplate slots because chainplates move and are notoriously leaky. Pipsqueak's deck doesn't leak anywhere and there's no rot in it. The plywood is good quality but nothing really special. Sheathing is just glass and epoxy with paint over it. What advantage if I'd used preservative treated ply? None. What disadvantage? Maybe none - I just don't know.

Rick

I hate to see Gary's boat in such a state. I don't believe the issues he has can be corrected in a week or so at Boatworks. I certainly understand the financial constraints and I also understand wanting to get the boat back into the water and going on a cruise etc. I do believe though that the boat won't last much longer unless it's taken home or somewhere and all the plywood that's been affected is replaced with, as Pete said, full sheets, scarfed properly, waterproofed etc. That, unfortunately, takes time and money. It's a pity - a lot of thought and effort has gone into that boat, it's an innovative boat and so much of it represents Gary's resourcefulness and creativity.

Rick

I do, sincerely, hope I'm wrong and the boat lasts much longer than I fear.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I hate to see Gary's boat in such a state. I don't believe the issues he has can be corrected in a week or so at Boatworks. I certainly understand the financial constraints and I also understand wanting to get the boat back into the water and going on a cruise etc. I do believe though that the boat won't last much longer unless it's taken home or somewhere and all the plywood that's been affected is replaced with, as Pete said, full sheets, scarfed properly, waterproofed etc. That, unfortunately, takes time and money. It's a pity - a lot of thought and effort has gone into that boat, it's an innovative boat and so much of it represents Gary's resourcefulness and creativity.

Rick

I do, sincerely, hope I'm wrong and the boat lasts much longer than I fear.
    The work won't all get done while I'm here unfortunately. For example the whole fore deck needs to be stripped back and fibreglassed but I can do that at the wharf...same with the cabin tops. Hopefully she will last as long as me.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Not that long Shirley !!
    Grateful Dead

I should be good for 15 years.
    meeting lots of yachties here and quite a number of younger ones, which is good to see. If I was single I'd be tempted to keep going...just sorta keep turning left. Bloke working on a gas guzzler along side me was admiring a template I'd made, I think he nearly offered me a job. I could think of worse places to work but I couldn't live up here.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Oi you blokes, I'm buggered if I know which thread I'm in these days.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I should be good for 15 years.
    meeting lots of yachties here and quite a number of younger ones, which is good to see. If I was single I'd be tempted to keep going...just sorta keep turning left. Bloke working on a gas guzzler along side me was admiring a template I'd made, I think he nearly offered me a job. I could think of worse places to work but I couldn't live up here.
    I've put in for 20 years Gary .
    Grateful Dead

Cow update. Our stock agent has been busy buying. With a final delivery on Friday we will have 20, which is the number we were aiming for. We've been buying small lots at weekly auctions at a market a bit south of Adelaide, Mt Compass. Now just have to double their weight over the next 6 months and them send them back to the market and replace them with small ones again. I'm a bit worried we might have bought at the top of the market, but we have grass to manage, and the theory is that once you are in the market you just ride it up and down and take whatever profit there is each time you sell and buy. Coincidentally we are having a visit from a friend from PNG on Friday. He was our Beef manager while I was at Ramu. He ran about 20,000 head.

The joys of being a primary producer and the bloody market ! At least you can hold your stock over hoping for the price to rise.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    The joys of being a primary producer and the bloody market ! At least you can hold your stock over hoping for the price to rise.
    Probably no need to. We just take them back to market on any given day, sell ours at 300 or 400 kg and buy again at 150-200 kg. Whatever the market we make something on the difference in weight. In the short time we've been buying the price has been anything from $1.80 per kilo up to $4.00 per kilo. We've paid up to $3.50 but averaged around $2.80 I think. Doesn't seem to be any discernible rhyme or reason to the short term fluctuations.

That sounds a lot better than growing small crops where I did my Certificate 1 in Applied Peasantry.
    Grateful Dead

That sounds a lot better than growing small crops where I did my Certificate 1 in Applied Peasantry.
    I like that, very funny.

Okay, now you know which thread you're in!

Rick

It was character building ! What kind of character is another discussion.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Okay, now you know which thread you're in!

Rick
    Winter is playing catch up here, one minute it's still and clear, the next it's bucketing down and blowing it's bitts off.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Winter is playing catch up here, one minute it's still and clear, the next it's bucketing down and blowing it's bitts off.
    It's warm, still and sunny at LTP. I could sleep for a week in the gentle rocking of this cradle.

Sent from my ZTE T610 using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

It thinks it's spring here, 24 and sunny. I went to town yesterday, shorts and tee shirt weather.
    Grateful Dead

OK, OK , packing the camper trailer right now!

A plan may be emerging for Grantala. We may pull her from the water, sheath the hull and finish the work on land. It's somewhat dependent upon a friend's wife agreeing to having her on their 5 acres. He's keen, but I suspect that as she's also a friend of my ex... I may not be flavour of the month with her.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Will you work on her Ian or job it out ? She's a big boat .
    Grateful Dead

Will you work on her Ian or job it out ? She's a big boat .
    Not sure, Peter. I'll move all my woodworking gear into his shed... table saw, thicknesser, sanders, jointer, bandsaw, etc.

I'm not sure where I'll be.... so that will determine the outcome, I guess. If I disappear to Jakarta for a couple of years, she either needs to be in new hands... or the alternatives may not be good.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Best of luck Ian, life has gotten complicated for you.

We're at Warnambool for a few days. The whales were very active today, 3 mothers and calves around 30-50 meters off the beach, just past the drop off.

More whales close inshore again today but the weather was a bit 'orrible
    Maritime museum today too, and a big undercover 'antiques' market. Added another pond yacht to my collection. Too expensive, I made an offer and it was accepted.

In the museum pool they have a SA built trading ketch that sailed to Warnambool in the early 2000's. It's spars are down and stored away out in the weather, the hull is badly rotted and supposedly being restored. Doesn't look like it, more in danger of sinking if you ask me. The museum pool is fresh water. I remember going on board a rigged ketch a few years ago. Other signs of lack of money and volunteers but the hoary old problem of 'heritage items' often seems to mean they crumble or rot away. Coopers shop has a wood lathe for turning knick knacks, but the cooperage items are covered in rust and rotting away.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 07-09-2017 at 07:41 AM.

Greg,
    is imoova.com the one-way vehicle relocation agency you mentioned a while ago and recommended?

Quote Originally Posted by MattSplatt View Post
    Greg,
    is imoova.com the one-way vehicle relocation agency you mentioned a while ago and recommended?
    Yes, that’s them
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Thank you. :-)

What are you planning Matt?
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"