Page 1071 of 1269 FirstFirst ... 7157197110211061107010711072108111211171 ... LastLast
Results 37,451 to 37,485 of 44398

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    I'm already having yours Dunc.

Sent from my ZTE T610 using Tapatalk
    sleeping on board Bruce?? Or back at Ken’s?
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Ken's. Making plans, checking charts, celebrating.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Looks like I'm booked into the surgeons morning shift tomorrow.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Good to hear that work is going well Duncan, we’ll miss you at the EBS
    The poor lad is flat out like a lizard drinking !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Looks like I'm booked into the surgeons morning shift tomorrow.
    Now that's good news Gary, day surgery ?
    Grateful Dead

Gary I can't find the ad you posted, for an epirb. Can you post again please?

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Now that's good news Gary, day surgery ?
    In over night.
    Bruce:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/KTI-SA1G-...EAAOxyY3ZRnHxM
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

I'm having a really great time up here at Mugeeraba or wherever I am. Today was very productive. Ken, my god-son-in-law Nathaniel and I sorted through all the boat stuff in Ken's shed, and ended up with a huge pile of gear to go back to SA on a truck, some gear to go on Arawana, and some gear for the trip. Then we three went out and played on the boat for a while. The inflatable works really well and it has a 4 stroke water cooled 2.5 horses outboard, which is the ant's pants.
    My new boat, Arawana, is fantastic. She exceeds my expectations. She is comfortable, roomy, clean, well appointed, and with some attention to varnish and finishes she'll shine like a diamond. Tomorrow Ken and I will take the test of the gear here that needs to come aboard, and we'll start arranging the things that need to come off ready to be off loaded at Coomera.
    It looks like the work at Coomera will only consist of minor sail repair, inspection and possible replacement of halyards, and repair of the masthead light. Everything else seems fine. We'll see how the Yanmar behaves after a trip up the river under load, but it looks like it might be a fuel tank flush required as well.
    Nathaniel, my goddaughter Amanda, Ken and Narelle are being so generous to me. I'm deeply grateful.
    Larks needs a gold medal for all the things he has done and is still doing for me. Mate, awesome. Thanks.
    I just need to convince my sweetie to meet me at Coffs Harbour and life will achieve full balance. But I'll settle for Penneshaw.

Paperback E-book

Assuming all's well and suitable weather, when do you think you might head south Bruce?

Rick

As soon as my booking at Boat Works expires. I've booked in for 26, 27, 28, 29, 30. If the weather is good 31st I'm gone, aiming at Yamba/Iluka. Not yet sure where I'll tie up if the weather is dodgy.

Paperback E-book

Most boats seem to anchor in Bums Bay, which is just inside the seaway at Southport. It's a short walk to cafes etc. from there. There are several marinas at Southport too.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    As soon as my booking at Boat Works expires. I've booked in for 26, 27, 28, 29, 30. If the weather is good 31st I'm gone, aiming at Yamba/Iluka. Not yet sure where I'll tie up if the weather is dodgy.

You could work your way up to Moreton Bay if the weather is unhelpful, there are lots of sheltered anchorages around the bay, in behind Russel Island for instance then there's no bar to negotiate to get outside.
    Grateful Dead

Getting out of Moreton bay in shifty weather is, well, ****ty, in my limited experience. Nasty sand bars and unexpected breakers. Bruce I'm stoked that she's as good as she seems to be.

Better than Southport Bar , a lot wider exit with a well marked channel.

Last edited by PeterSibley; 05-23-2017 at 07:34 AM.
    Grateful Dead

and the South end of the bay.

Don't think about going out through Jumpinpin / South Passage.
    Grateful Dead

The weather is so benign at the moment I'm getting a bit keen to get away before it turns rotten. Maybe it will stay perfect for another week.

Paperback E-book

Hope so. When we picked up Balia we went around the top of Moreton Island. Worst part of the whole trip down to Hobart. The forecast was quite good, but bore no resemblance at all to the weather. Can't remember whether we went inside or outside the reef and the rock on Peters map, but it was all washing machine up there. And I'm calling it a map because it doesn't look like a chart to me. Can't see the alleged clearly marked channel. Did I mention that I hate Moreton Bay? I say go south and pick your day to cross the bar at Southport. But then I've never been that way and don't know zip about bars.

Sorry Phil, I couldn't find a chart at short notice.

I love Moreton Bay.
    Grateful Dead

try: webapp.navionics.com

I like Moreton Bay too but you wouldn't go all the way up there to go south from Southport! If the sea's too rough to go out at Southport, you wouldn't want to be out there anyway, especially if you're planning to go in at Yamba. Unless, of course, as Peter seems to be suggesting, that you wanted to do a tour or kill time. By the way Bruce, if you're not in a hurry, I'd recommend doing a trip up the Clarence. You can go nearly to Grafton.

Rick
    Last edited by RFNK; 05-23-2017 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MattSplatt View Post
    try: webapp.navionics.com
    I tried to copy a chart from there but it wouldn't post, the image may have been too big ?
    Grateful Dead

Not boats, but we found a nest of Feathertail Gliders in a fallen branch yesterday.

Put the branch back up in a tree

How beautiful! Thanks Jeff!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I like Moreton Bay too but you wouldn't go all the way up there to go south from Southport! If the sea's too rough to go out at Southport, you wouldn't want to be out there anyway, especially if you're planning to go in at Yamba. Unless, of course, as Peter seems to be suggesting, that you wanted to do a tour or kill time. By the way Bruce, if you're not in a hurry, I'd recommend doing a trip up the Clarence. You can go nearly to Grafton.

Rick

The Clarence is great. IIRC, the only place where you need to keep an eye out is near Lawrence... stick to the right bank. I saw an 18' skiff hit a sandbank in that area and break it's mast... back in '82. Di and I won the Bridge to Bridge Sailing Classic there in '81. I think it's about 47 km between the bridges... the first one being the opener near Harwood on this map. I don't think the bridge at Grafton opens. May have changed with highway updates... ie, they may have added a second bridge at Harwood.

Definitely worth sneaking in and anchoring in the South Arm near the Brushgrove Pub. Had a few interesting nights at that pub over the years.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Bruce, just talking to David, who's spent a fair bit of time up there on his boat ...... Boatworks will let you keep using their amenities if you need to anchor there for a while - you might need to offer some payment. Apparently Coles is only a 15 minute dinghy trip from there.

There's also a place called Beauty Point, or something like that. From the bar, you go towards the Coomera River but it's still within view of the bar. It's a good spot to anchor as the shops etc. are close to there - a lot closer than from Bums Bay. Otherwise, there's the marinas at Southport proper - plenty of shops there!

Rick

Ian's post reminded me .... Unfortunately, the Clarence might be out. The bridge at Harwood will be closed for 6 weeks, for maintenance. Check the height on Navionics, you might just get under at low tide but otherwise, no go.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Not boats, but we found a nest of Feathertail Gliders in a fallen branch yesterday.

Put the branch back up in a tree
    Well done Jeff !
    Grateful Dead

Bruce, just talking to David, who's spent a fair bit of time up there on his boat ...... Boatworks will let you keep using their amenities if you need to anchor there for a while - you might need to offer some payment. Apparently Coles is only a 15 minute dinghy trip from there.

There's also a place called Beauty Point, or something like that. From the bar, you go towards the Coomera River but it's still within view of the bar. It's a good spot to anchor as the shops etc. are close to there - a lot closer than from Bums Bay. Otherwise, there's the marinas at Southport proper - plenty of shops there!

Rick
    I was forgetting about the dinghy - Coles, the Boardwalk Tavern, plenty of cafe’s and restaurants, news agency etc and Hope island marina is pretty well just across the river from Boat Works and more like 5 minutes away than 15 minutes - just to the top right of the map

Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I'll tell David he's a slow paddler!
    Rick

Mmm pricked my interest........now how to convince the chancellor

I've no idea what it is but yes, nice shape, isn't it? Seems good value to me.

Rick

Very good value !
    Grateful Dead

It seems like I've been here at least a week, but here's day two summary.

Ken and I spent the day on the boat. I brought out the bigger of my two bags so I could start settling in. It took a while to organise things but eventually I got my gear stowed.
    As for gear, I currently have two two tiller pilots (Phil I didn't bring yours in the end), 4 vhf radios, 4 headsails, 2 mainsails, 3 anchors, a tender with outboard, 4 stoves, 80 litres of fuel storage (60 litres filled), 60 litres of fresh water, 6 berths, 2 showers, enough spares, tools and consumables to sink a battleship, 2 handheld GPS units, and enough room for me and my sleeping bag.
    I'm hoping that over the next few days I'll be able to rationalise all the stuff so that at least three of four berths are useable, and I'll be able to sail in some safety and comfort.

We went for a big putt putt on the Yanmar today. We had a look at the Southport bar of doom, and Bum's Bay and Wavebreak Bay. It was so much fun. Tootling along in the sun was bliss. I can't wait to hoist sail and head south.

Frankk

Paperback E-book

I've no idea what it is but yes, nice shape, isn't it? Seems good value to me.

Rick
    Griffin 36? - Griffin looking cabin windows? - maybe an Alan Payne design?? (maybe I’m talking through my hat??) It does indeed seem good value, and sad that they are having to sell her
    Last edited by Larks; 05-24-2017 at 04:08 AM.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary