Page 1051 of 1150 FirstFirst ... 515519511001104110501051105210611101 ... LastLast
Results 36,751 to 36,785 of 40218

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Yeah, there was a bit of a primitive cutter setup on Grantala. Can't recall if that got left on when the new props went on... I was supervising from a wheelchair at the time.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    I have to break my cover to share this. I wonder what condition she is in.

Currently on Gumtree for $33,500

Dammit Moffatt, radio silence man! You'll blow the whole op. Loose lips and all that, there's a good chap.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I got a cray pot line caught around my prop when we were sailing my big steel boat Vulcan, up to PNG. Weather was quite calm, tried diving on it at sea. Complete failure, boat moving too much in the swell, not very good at snorkelling. we sailed into Camden Haven, sailed as far as we could toward the town, small river, big boat! Anchored, found a diver who cut it free for us. Avoided lots of cray pots bringing Balia home from Tassie, but we did catch some kelp on the prop which took quite a bit of stopping, starting, reversing and messing around to get rid of. Cray pots are a bit of a menace.
    WB often has ads for line cutters, they seem like a very good idea , especially in Tasmania .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Never happened to me , but I've heard it is very difficult to cut compressed rope wound around a prop shaft should one lose a preventer line over the bow on a run down from the Poor Knights to Tutukaka, energy sapping.
    I have one of those serrated Gill knives on Masina. During a storm last year, I had to cut a boat free that was tangled with another, by its mooring line - 24mm aquatec rope, under extreme tension. The serrated knife, which had always seemed to me to have big, blunt, fairly useless teeth, proved to be fantastic. It cut through the line like bread. I'm sure it would work really well cutting through jammed line on a prop shaft.

I wouldn't want one of those cutters fixed to the prop. It would cost me a fortune in mooring recovery!

Rick

Better to wind it up rather than lose it ?
    Grateful Dead

Dammit Moffatt, radio silence man! You'll blow the whole op. Loose lips and all that, there's a good chap.
    Yes, you're right. But I still don't know how to feel about current events or how I should deal with them. I do know that we are agreed here that a risk management strategy for a very low likelihood of occurence, with catastrophic outcome, should have some sort of sound contingency planning, though not necessarily an active management plan to reduce an already low likelihood. So I'll continue to daydream over slipping the lines on boats like Southerly while Romana gets attention, and I watch my back.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

WB often has ads for line cutters, they seem like a very good idea , especially in Tasmania .
    The cray pots are all around the south coast of SA, up to 50 or so miles offshore, maybe more. Everywhere from about Portland to Robe.

We used to sell and fit a lot of “Quick Cutter” rope cutters when I was at Stella, very very simple system and easy to fit - designed and fabricated in Oz and originally designed to deal specifically with cray pot lines:

http://www.stellasystems.com.au/rope_cutters.php
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

A good place not to motor, I wonder how the pot fishermen avoid lines ?
    Grateful Dead

Better to wind it up rather than lose it ?
    Yes. Finding a mooring that's lost its float is really difficult in our area as there's a soft, deep layer of algae/mud/detritus covering the bottom. This makes the lower metre or two of the water very murky whenever the water is moving at all and nothing lying on the bottom is visible. Mooring lines are weighed down by oysters, barnacles etc. so only the bit that's normally out of the water floats. I gave up trying to find Pipsqueak's mooring when it was cut off. We dragged for hours on several days, with me diving with a hookah each time we snagged anything. I found another mooring that was cut off at the same time, lots of old chains, branches and logs, but not my mooring. I'm told that a neighbour has now found it (after 18 months or so) but I am yet to dive down and confirm it.

Rick

If I lived in an area with lots of pots etc., I'd have one of those cutters but not around here.

The cray pots are all around the south coast of SA, up to 50 or so miles offshore, maybe more. Everywhere from about Portland to Robe.
    That wouldn't be so bad if we could actually buy a cray
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

That wouldn't be so bad if we could actually buy a cray
    Careful, almost getting political there. I had to stop myself comparing to gas and then straying to renewables.

Careful, almost getting political there. I had to stop myself comparing to gas and then straying to renewables.
    Comparing yourself to gas?

C'mon, you're no Plessner
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

I don't know what signs and signals life will throw next but I'm not happy at all at the moment. SSRI drugs are keeping me in a stable mood, to an extent, but I'm looking at the savings, weighing up the possibilities, putting a value on the rest of days I might have, and wondering about a more serious slipping of the painter after I've explored the possibilities with Romana. It would be very easy to go right now if an unloved GRP Vertue II came into view. Anyone here have any up-close experience to share about them?
    Paperback E-book

I've put in an order for 20 years Bruce, that would make me 87. Not a bad number, I'll see if the request was received . My Temozolomide seems to be working as required.

Farm work today, scrambling through the bush pulling and poisoning a particular shrubby weed tree that is trying to take over. I'm knackered !
    Grateful Dead

Nice !

Lots of cheap dreams here ... http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Cate...&searchRegion=
    Last edited by PeterSibley; 04-22-2017 at 06:30 PM.
    Grateful Dead

Sailing today.....if we get some blo..dy wind!

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post

she is lovely, very liveable. Though
    If you love varnished timber and brass
    ....?? I was expecting to see something like bronze portholes and deck fittings and so on - I see one brass locker door handle, an oil lamp and a clock/barometer set...............whoops, no wait, I see external bronze port light surrounds.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I don't know what signs and signals life will throw next but I'm not happy at all at the moment. SSRI drugs are keeping me in a stable mood, to an extent, but I'm looking at the savings, weighing up the possibilities, putting a value on the rest of days I might have, and wondering about a more serious slipping of the painter after I've explored the possibilities with Romana. It would be very easy to go right now if an unloved GRP Vertue II came into view. Anyone here have any up-close experience to share about them?
    I don't know what GRP Vertues go for, but if I was looking to go cheap, go safe and go now I'd be looking for a Duncanson 29, or a Compass, same deal. Well proven long distance cruisers. Unloved ones seem to be around $10k. Good ones have been around $30k for as long as I can remember. With any old boat you are probably going to have to do new standing rigging and probably sails. Electronics will be out of date, but who needs em. Motor will be luck of the draw. Coat of paint if you want her looking schmick. Expect some leaky windows and hatches and a stained headliner. You could do some magic tearing out the vinyl headliner and gluing up some carpet. Noice. So you might buy one for $10k and spend another $10k to be ready to go. More if you decide you need a life raft and an inflatable dinghy. More yet if you decide to upgrade the old dunnie, do something with the electronics, replace the engine, get an electric esky, etc, etc, etc. More importantly you need to work out whether you can make a sensible decision about this while dealing with a medical condition which while somewhat under control is possibly having a significant impact on your thinking and might not be stable.

I haven't sailed a Dunc 29 but I've read online they sail like dogs. Any better info very welcome.

Paperback E-book

Bruce, I've heard that the Dunc 29s are ok, nothing brilliant. I thought they were a copy of an American design but changed enough to prevent the sueing or maybe that was another model Dunc but, seriously, considering ages, life expectancies, I would much rather be sailing a mildly disappointing Dunc (no oblique references to Admiral Spongeworthy here) or some other plastic or metal boat than not sailing at all and make sure that you get a boat that is ready to sail, not ready to cross an ocean but at least able to be sailed straight away.
    the invisible man........

Ihavent sailed one, but they have a good reputation as far as I know for being safe and seaworthy and perfectly adequate in terms of cruising performance. They are not a modern shallow hulled fin keeler so would be slow in comparison to that type. Excellent I would think for single handing with their relatively full keel.

Thanks Adrian and Phil. Adrian, did you say our mate Brian was likely to offload his 29 after his trip away?

Paperback E-book

Haven’t sailed a Dunc’ 29, but have sailed a Dunc’ 32 and I was quite impressed with it, not sure how different they may be but it pointed well enough, not fast but comfortable and spacious enough below. Something a little S&Sish about it. 'Belonged to a guy who I met and partly sailed in company with up through Indo’/Malaysia/Thailand. He put it on a reef somewhere up there and got it well and truly wedged between two bommies and was stuck for about 48 hours, 'thought it’d completely wrecked his keel and done some terrible damage to the hull around the garboard area but it turned out to be a surprisingly tough boat with a solid lay-up and there was comparatively little damage.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I don't think the different duncansons bear any particular family resemblance to one another. Duncanson was a master at stealing good designs.

I think it's time we restarted the Bruce around the world comp!
    I'll come up with a prize and I'll be the ref . Results based on a vote by all participants. Doesn't have to be wood but has to be a boat that's actually available in The Antipodes. What's your budget Bruce? Deadline May 30.
    What do we think?

Rick

Initial purchase price budget $15,000. Maybe The Lesser Boomerang Challenge in support of Mental Health and Evasion of Extremist Lone Wolves. Except they wouldn't be loners if there was more than one wolf.

Paperback E-book

Does that include New Zealand ?
    Grateful Dead

Has to be able get to Aus, including any import duties or other imposts, in the $15k.

Paperback E-book

Nice looking Dunc 29 just down the road from you. Asking $12500. Offer him $5k and work up from there, I reckon $8k might do it, maybe $10k. If you buy it I'll lend you my wind vane steering gear.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/fair...cht/1129865578

Okay, 15K, inc. 10% GST if in NZ. Either way, must be suitable as is for crossing the Tasman safely ex essential safety gear. The Lesser Boomerang Challenge. For Frank or Bruce?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Haven’t sailed a Dunc’ 29, but have sailed a Dunc’ 32 and I was quite impressed with it, not sure how different they may be but it pointed well enough, not fast but comfortable and spacious enough below. Something a little S&Sish about it. 'Belonged to a guy who I met and partly sailed in company with up through Indo’/Malaysia/Thailand. He put it on a reef somewhere up there and got it well and truly wedged between two bommies and was stuck for about 48 hours, 'thought it’d completely wrecked his keel and done some terrible damage to the hull around the garboard area but it turned out to be a surprisingly tough boat with a solid lay-up and there was comparatively little damage.
    I've sailed the 29, even did a trip from Moreton Bay to Port Stephens in one. Beautiful boats, a bit narrow for my liking and I found the cockpit a bit cluttered but good sea boat.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

I haven't sailed a Dunc 29 but I've read online they sail like dogs. Any better info very welcome.

The Compass 28 is built on the same mold but one foot shorter.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

I think a Clansman might be the same too.