Page 1044 of 1147 FirstFirst ... 445449449941034104310441045105410941144 ... LastLast
Results 36,506 to 36,540 of 40124

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Going to try a different way to fit the staunchion bases. The idea is to bolt them to a timber pad and glue that to the deck with epoxy fillets around the edge. Worth doing or a dumb idea, time will tell. Actually I might do a test one and see if it breaks off easily.
    As Matt said, it won't work Gary. There's just too much leverage working against the deck. They have to be fastened to beams or shelf - something substantial. Waterproofing isn't difficult. Are you going to sheathe your deck when you go to Boatworks?

Rick

I'm going to get rid of my hardwood stanchion base pads and replace them with epoxy ones, I think. There's a piece from West System that gives a neat trick to getting the angle right. The wooden pads seem to split under the strain. They are still locked in place, but they are difficult to paint or protect and there's potential for rot in the cracks.

Nanjera is sold.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Luxky to find one available I'd say. They'd be as busy as a one armed wall paper hanger. Or something.
    I was surprised we got one so soon.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Nanjera is sold.
    I’m not surprised
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    I’m not surprised
    We didn't ask as much as we paid, but near enough, and there is maintenance work to do that we didn't get to.

The bloke who bought her is a proper yachty, having built and designed/built his own boats previously. Nanjera is going to Goolwa to be loved, cared for, and used. The new owner and I swapped some stories, and I'm hoping to develop a friendship there.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

That's great!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    I'm going to get rid of my hardwood stanchion base pads and replace them with epoxy ones, I think. There's a piece from West System that gives a neat trick to getting the angle right. The wooden pads seem to split under the strain. They are still locked in place, but they are difficult to paint or protect and there's potential for rot in the cracks.
    25mm thick HDPE sheet is another possibility, it saws and machines easily and is cheap.
    How does the epoxy system work?
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I'm not sure how well HDPE takes sealant or how it goes under the sun - do you know? I use tufnol pads under my stanchions with Sika or Fixtech sealant between the pad and deck and between the base and pad. The stanchions are bolted with copper bolts through beams where possible. The bolts that are only through the ply deck have large backing pads and washers. the problem with stanchions is that they have to withstand repeated pressure from people getting on and off the boat, etc. and they're very vulnerable to damage coming into wharves.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    25mm thick HDPE sheet is another possibility, it saws and machines easily and is cheap.
    How does the epoxy system work?
    It's in a copy of Epoxyworks magazine on the WEST site. Basically you get a bowl or something of the right size, wax it, fill it with a bog (or is it glue?) mix - and the smart part is that you then sit it on the deck adjacent to where the stanchion will go. The mix then sets with its upper surface horizontal and the bottom at the same angle as the deck. Once it's cured take it out of the bowl, turn it upside down and put it on the deck and voila - a stanchion base with a horizontal upper surface without any of the annoying grinding/cutting/swearing normally required to create a flat upper surface on the stanchion base on a curved deck.

My boat has always had stanchions angled out, which as Rick said makes them vulnerable. It will be nice to have them vertical, and it's probably more comfortable when people are sitting on the windward rail when racing.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I'm not sure how well HDPE takes sealant or how it goes under the sun - do you know? I use tufnol pads under my stanchions with Sika or Fixtech sealant between the pad and deck and between the base and pad. The stanchions are bolted with copper bolts through beams where possible. The bolts that are only through the ply deck have large backing pads and washers. the problem with stanchions is that they have to withstand repeated pressure from people getting on and off the boat, etc. and they're very vulnerable to damage coming into wharves.

Rick
    Sealant ? I think Sikaflex would stick and when it comes to durability is black ag poly pipe HDPE ? I don't know but black poly is incredibly tough and UV resistant .

Any industrial chemists here?
    Grateful Dead

Well, it's cheaper than tufnol - almost anything is cheaper than tufnol! If it's not going to break down in the sun then I think it's probably a good option. And it probably doesn't really matter if the sealant sticks to the HDPE pad or not, as long as it sticks to the deck. The sealant forms a gasket and , as long as it's stopping water from running into the deck, then it's doing its job.

That's a neat trick with the epoxy Chris!

Rick

Getting 3 iPads and 2 near new Dell laptops tomorrow that went under water, I'm going to see if I can save any of them.

Rain rain go away and bugger off to Hay.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Clearing some fallen branches away from the mailboxes and bus shelter at the front of our community this morning and found a Sulfur Crest Cockatoo that was injured somehow. Wings seemed fine and it wasn't aggressive. I put it into a cardboard box and took it to the vet. It's been sent up to the Currumbin Wildlife Hospital.

John Welsford

Good on you Gary!

Rick

Well done Gary .
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    We didn't ask as much as we paid, but near enough, and there is maintenance work to do that we didn't get to.

The bloke who bought her is a proper yachty, having built and designed/built his own boats previously. Nanjera is going to Goolwa to be loved, cared for, and used. The new owner and I swapped some stories, and I'm hoping to develop a friendship there.

Not a feller by the name of Mark perchance Bruce?

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Not a feller by the name of Mark perchance Bruce?
    No, his cousin Keith Perchance actually We talked about sailing Rainbow class yachts, Mirrors, Herons, Hartleys (he had an 18) and lots of other stuff. We have volunteering in common. He loves Romana.

Changing subject, I had another $million idea this evening. Lots of friends have this thing about flavouring their food with the hottest chillies every discovered, which is fine for them. Others who dine with them are sometimes a bit reluctant to indulge to their depths. So I've invented the World's Most Deadly (WMD) Flavour Enhancer. A neighbour of mine donated his most prized gut-melting ring-punishing eye-watering skin-peeling asthma-inducing chillies, which I put through a secret process (vitamised to smithereens with vinegar and hot water then boiled in a covered saucepan, and filtered into a dispenser.) The idea is that when the food has been served, a simple pump-action dispenser, quite similar to a cheap underarm deodorant spray, is used to 'enhance' the plate of food. I'm experimenting with pressures, dispersal, vapour cloudlets and loud relatives at the moment, however I believe there will be a willing market. Comes in a handy purse-or-pocket size for portability, and is definitely NOT for use against assailants in the dark, because creating things like that is most definitely ILLEGAL. Technically, if someone breaks in and shouts something like 'I've come to try your new WMD Flavour Enhancer' I'm allowed to help them sample some, but there are legal precedents (apparently) which set ridiculously high bars to jump to prove you believed that what they said sounded just like that.
    Last edited by brucemoffatt; 04-05-2017 at 08:16 AM.
    Paperback E-book

Well done on the sale Bruce.

Looks like dad has sold Leofleda too, to a good next steward, so that's a good thing.

Pretty much nothing sticks to black irrigation pipe. Something about its molecular structure. You can Plastic weld it, but adhesives just don't adhere. Not sure whether it's the same as HDPE. I guess it might be. High density poly ethylene.

You can actually glue HDPE. There are a few products out there, I think we used a Permabond product.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Well done on the sale Bruce.

Looks like dad has sold Leofleda too, to a good next steward, so that's a good thing.

Pretty much nothing sticks to black irrigation pipe. Something about its molecular structure. You can Plastic weld it, but adhesives just don't adhere. Not sure whether it's the same as HDPE. I guess it might be. High density poly ethylene.
    Is Leofleda staying in Tassie? Very comforting to know it has gone to a trustworthy next steward.

Paperback E-book

Yes, just moving a short way down the Huon, and dad will probably have an ongoing relationship with her.

Yes, just moving a short way down the Huon, and dad will probably have an ongoing relationship with her.
    Excellent outcome.
    Paperback E-book

Excellent Phil !
    Grateful Dead

I have 3 Ipads to play with, assuming they will work after 2 days under water. I have them in ziplock bags with uncooked rice as a moisture absorbent. Got the idea off a MAC site.

John Welsford

Day three of a really bad cold. SWIMPAL has the tail end of a bronchitis infection. House of joy... not.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

I have 3 Ipads to play with, assuming they will work after 2 days under water. I have them in ziplock bags with uncooked rice as a moisture absorbent. Got the idea off a MAC site.
    Two out of three booted but I only have the charge lead for the iPad 2, the other two are iPad Airs...and of course the standard iPhone lead won't fit.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    Day three of a really bad cold. SWIMPAL has the tail end of a bronchitis infection. House of joy... not.
    Time for chicken soup! Oh, that's right .....

At least the chook's doing alright!

Rick

Different chooks. Friends in town couldn't catch one of theirs before the flood and found it drowned in their backyard.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Kitty litter that looks like small granular crystals is a very good moisture absorbent as well. Under no curcumstances should you apply power to those devices until you've convinced yourself they are dry, that you've physically removed any debris, and you've displaced any chunky oxidation with dry spray air and some kind of rapidly evaporating cleaning alcohol.

Paperback E-book

Good luck with the iPads. But there's a reason why flood damaged cars are written off and never to be registered again.

We are experiencing the tail end of a slightly used tropical cyclone here (Christchurch), pretty solid rain for the last couple of days, but not too much wind.
    The North Island has copped the worst of it - lots of flooding and evacuations, similar to what you had over in the West Island.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

These days, pre computer they were just sent interstate..... they were after the Brisbane '74 floods. I was working for a yard at the time.
    Grateful Dead

The procedure I used to try and salvage an expensive electronic bike light with LCD and chip was washing with distilled water thoroughly, and then washing with isopropyl alcohol, and then drying for a week. I only had marginal success. I can't imagine the iPads will survive unfortunately.

I'm limited to what I can do as I can't open them up which I had planned to do. Two are sealed in bags with white rice and one is on charge and presently at 25%. If they work I win, if not I lost nothing but a bit of time.

John Welsford