Page 1043 of 1145 FirstFirst ... 435439439931033104210431044105310931143 ... LastLast
Results 36,471 to 36,505 of 40061

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Can't imagine how life must be for you northerners, hope you've got plenty of stock of life's essentials. Good luck with the rebuild.

It's pretty apocalyptic in town, and all up and down the Tweed, amongst lots of other smaller towns. Crabbes Creek got smashed. It's a bit beyond comprehension.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Duncan, what's that building in one of your shots where only the roof is showing? Is it a riverside building, cafe or something? As above, good luck with all the cleaning up, rebuilding etc. - what a bummer! Hoping to hear that all Antipodean boats up there are okay.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Duncan, what's that building in one of your shots where only the roof is showing? Is it a riverside building, cafe or something? As above, good luck with all the cleaning up, rebuilding etc. - what a bummer! Hoping to hear that all Antipodean boats up there are okay.

Rick
    It's small jetty with a roof.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Fish and chips aboard Balia tonight. Tell you what the sun went down early though.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    It's pretty apocalyptic in town, and all up and down the Tweed, amongst lots of other smaller towns. Crabbes Creek got smashed. It's a bit beyond comprehension.
    Got a few shots of Merwillumbah main street on the news.. but most of the pics are not new now.

Interesting days sailing, wind and tide changes, lots of technical sailing with short tacks in close company, crowded buoys, course changes mid race (drifting tree trunks etc), other sailing traffic, a 40ft tri. that somehow got into the estuary but was having no luck getting out. Quite fun, the first cool day for a while.

Windy, cool and intermittent drizzle. However Meteye is telling me next Monday should be good to go sailing. Except the wind is from the wrong direction.
    Last edited by WX; 04-02-2017 at 06:36 PM.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Off to Boatworks then?

Rick

Off to Boatworks then?

Rick
    Fingers Crossed.

John Welsford

Off to Boatworks then?

Rick
    I think I might be dreaming, I have a feeling community roadworks may take priority.

John Welsford

Nanjera is listed for sale on Gumtree.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Nanjera is listed for sale on Gumtree.
    Looks like a good price too, should sell.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

The flood claims 3 more.
    https://www.tweeddailynews.com.au/ne...162463/?ref=hs

Police are now recovering the bodies after the car was found by sonar equipment about 5m from the northern river bank about 3.25pm.
    Retired highway patrol officer Matt Grinham discovered the crash when he was driving to clean up flood damage at a family member's house.

John Welsford

The roads are covered in mud from the floods and clay from slips. Any rain and it's like driving on grease .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    The roads are covered in mud from the floods and clay from slips. Any rain and it's like driving on grease .
    South Murwillumbah is one huge rubbish dump. The streets are lined with huge mounds of stuff.

John Welsford

I know, I was there today. The industrial estate has some strange rubbish. Great piles of wet bags of fertilizer! How to dispose of that ?
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I know, I was there today. The industrial estate has some strange rubbish. Great piles of wet bags of fertilizer! How to dispose of that ?
    Liquid fertilizer, hmmm real puzzle that one.
    I've canceled my trip to Boatworks. The weather is rubbish and our roadwork repairs have to take priority. It's raining right now, not heavy but just enough to make it unpleasant to be out in it. We have an excavator out doing some private work, moving rockslides off a driveway etc. He's going to widen our temporary crossing as well. He was most impressed with what we had done.
    On a happy note I got all the belting material beveled yesterday and today should be equally productive.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I was literally around the corner from there on Sunday helping my clients at Husk clean up and Dulguigan road just looked too slippery so I made the choice to park my ute and walk to the distillery. Considering what happened yesterday I'm pretty happy I made that decision.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

On a different note: does anyone actually enjoy setting and finishing gyprock? (Skimming/flushing or whatever it is called)....
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    On a different note: does anyone actually enjoy setting and finishing gyprock? (Skimming/flushing or whatever it is called)....
    no, nobody.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

I'm getting OK at repairs. Done about 20 patches in a friend's house that used to contain an angry young "man". I like the fibreglass tape for patching
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

I do it if I'm paid but enjoy ? Not really. I imagine that if I was better at it I might.
    Grateful Dead

I have to admit that I actually do. I tend to use a random orbital sander more than I should have to. But you go from pretty ordinary gappy slabs of gyprock, to a lovely smooth flat surface where you won't even be able to see the joins when it's painted, pretty bloody easily. That flushing compound to me is pretty close to the ultimate fit for purpose material. No strength in it at all, hard enough to stay put, soft enough to sand really easily. Beats the crap out of trying to sand any sort of epoxy that's for sure.

Use to enjoy it when I was getting paid for it! The challenge of seeing how minimal an amount of work put in, equals a 5' paint job with angled light.

I like the way the plaster sanding dust can get past 3 layers of taped plastic sheets, cupboard doors , refrigerators, hermetically sealed containers of cereal , and manages to even get into the outside garage and neighbours place.

I tried my hand at taping drywall when I build our Granny Flat, and after several joints came to the conclusion I wasn't prepared to invest the time to learn this skill.

The 600 it cost us was well wort it especially with our 3.1m ceilings.
    I have Martins phone number if required.

Going to try a different way to fit the staunchion bases. The idea is to bolt them to a timber pad and glue that to the deck with epoxy fillets around the edge. Worth doing or a dumb idea, time will tell. Actually I might do a test one and see if it breaks off easily.

John Welsford

One other thing we had a 5 tonne excavator out today. He did in one hour what took a bunch of us most of the day to do. The crossing is wider and therefore dead easy to cross now.

John Welsford

Wonderful machines eh Gary !
    Grateful Dead

Gary, you've got to bolt them through the whole deck. The epoxy is plenty strong, so they will break off by tearing a chunk out of the face of the plywood they're glued to.

Yes, they might be fiddly to get waterproof, but it's not worth putting them on if you don't through bolt them.

Crawling back under my rock now...

Heads up, if you have clear skies....
    Brian Cox, ABC 8.30.

Overcast and raining . Damn !!!
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by MattSplatt View Post
    Gary, you've got to bolt them through the whole deck. The epoxy is plenty strong, so they will break off by tearing a chunk out of the face of the plywood they're glued to.

Yes, they might be fiddly to get waterproof, but it's not worth putting them on if you don't through bolt them.

Crawling back under my rock now...
    I take your point Matt.

John Welsford

Sorry to barge into your conversation, but I've been reading over your shoulders for some time.

I do.

I specialize in cool textures, too.

Sheet rock, sheet rock repair, and wall texture are all easy money, especially if tied into another job, like a paint or redecorate or remodel.

Good knife skills reduce the need to sand, and good texture covers a multitude of sins.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    One other thing we had a 5 tonne excavator out today. He did in one hour what took a bunch of us most of the day to do. The crossing is wider and therefore dead easy to cross now.
    Luxky to find one available I'd say. They'd be as busy as a one armed wall paper hanger. Or something.