Page 1026 of 1112 FirstFirst ... 26526926976101610251026102710361076 ... LastLast
Results 35,876 to 35,910 of 38909

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Gary, teak isn't that hard or tough, I would use an Aussie hardwood, as Peter suggested, or try jarrah or karri, or red box if you can a piece with a bit of length, don't think it would be that to spring something to the shear, well soaked and slowly is the trick
    the invisible man........

Interesting sailing today. Club races. On the last lap of the afternoon race an expected 90 degree wind shift roared in at, according to the tower instruments, a 46 knot gust. Boats were just blown over or in a couple of cases out of the water. One just flipped across the surface like a big leaf leaving it's skipper in the water. I stayed up but just, a couple of other Sabres weren't so lucky. I just got blown sideways and bent some gear. I actually enjoyed the day, strong winds shifting about.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Offset that price against maintenance of the gum, painting/varnish etc and the price might not seem so high.
    Anyone likely to have some Crows Ash around your way??
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Anyone likely to have some Crows Ash around your way??
    I have some but it's soft and it goes mouldy easily. My grab rails are made out of it.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

I met a fascinating bloke at lunch yesterday. He's building a modern lightweight trailer sailer. 27' strip planked. Designed by someone up brisvegas way, mostly does powercats. Anyway, this guy, I think he's an engineer. So he's doing a lot of engineering stuff on his boat. He's decided he needs shallow draft. And an inboard diesel. So he's designed a prop shaft which hinges up into the hull. Big prop, 12 by 10 I think he said, 4 blades. He hopes to cruise at 10 knots or so under power with a 2 cylinder Yanmar. Doesn't want all the weight of crew in the back of the boat, so a centre cockpit. Transom hung rudder. Tiller steering. Steering rods will run back through cockpit drain tubes from the back of the cockpit to the rudder. Where you and I might use ply he's vacuum bagging some new plastic panel made of recycled soft drink bottles. He lives nearby. I hope to go and have a look in his shed sometime soon.

I have some but it's soft and it goes mouldy easily. My grab rails are made out of it.
    Are you sure it's Crow's Ash Gary ? It's usually described as durable if not suitable for bending . I have some short lengths and it's hard, more like tallow wood, I found an old log in the bush and had it milled.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Sounds interesting Phil! Jeff, I had my sailboard blow right away from me once like that! Exciting! Gary, don't oil teak - it wrecks the teak.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Are you sure it's Crow's Ash Gary ? It's usually described as durable if not suitable for bending . I have some short lengths and it's hard, more like tallow wood, I found an old log in the bush and had it milled.
    Ah, no it's beech. I'd thought it was Crow's Ash when I got it. I gave some blocks of it to Johnno a while back to make some blocks. Pale timber with a pretty grain.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Tom you interested in that prop shaft I've got? I'd be after a $100 for it which is around one third it cost me.
    Thanks Gary first we'll have to make sure it's the right size I assume yours is 1" standard . I will want to talk to Peter Kerr wether this is a recurring problem if it is , On to Watsons to find out if I am able to up size shaft size marginally given my engine size has almost doubled .

Unfortunatley won't have a lor of time for WB at the moment. I am starting on modular closet inserts in the Granny flat and ensuite today that I build last year, then it's on to the kitchen conversion framing and dry walling in a butlers pantry, and converting the old pantry into a new closet for our study which partially backs onto our centrally located kitchen.
    Last edited by auscruisertom; 02-26-2017 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Thanks Gary first we'll have to make sure it's the right size I assume yours is 1" standard . I will want to talk to Peter Kerr wether this is a recurring problem if it is , On to Watsons to find out if I am able to up size shaft size marginally given my engine size has almost doubled .

Unfortunatley won't have a lor of time for WB at the moment. I am starting on modular closet inserts in the Granny flat and ensuite today that I build last year, then it's on to the kitchen conversion framing and dry walling in a butlers pantry, and converting the old pantry into a new closet for our study which partially backs onto our centrally located kitchen.

I'll measure it when I go over the shed later anyway.
    I'm spending some of today chasing prices on bobcats, gravel and self drive rollers etc. Our community road is in dire need of work. Good to see Sandercock's quarry is still operational, they have good gravel.

John Welsford

Ah, no it's beech. I'd thought it was Crow's Ash when I got it. I gave some blocks of it to Johnno a while back to make some blocks. Pale timber with a pretty grain.
    and it doesn't glue to well either .
    Grateful Dead

and it doesn't glue to well either .
    I'm constantly having trouble with grab rail leaks. I don't think through bolting helped.
    Hoping for a sail next Saturday, interested?

John Welsford

Probably not, I'll be on my first day of chemo for the month and that will flatten me a little . Just very tired. Thanks for the offer though.
    Grateful Dead

Probably not, I'll be on my first day of chemo for the month and that will flatten me a little . Just very tired. Thanks for the offer though.
    No worries...I bet it rains anyway.
    Getting a quote from Hogan's in Kyogle. 8 @ 4m x 25mm x 25mm DAR Spotted Gum.

John Welsford

Good ! Tell us how much .
    Grateful Dead

Just been going through the services and supplies available at Boatworks. It seems there's very little I need to buy before I go. Antifoul and paint prices are very reasonable if not slightly cheaper. The only limit to what I can buy or have done is the contents of my wallet.
    I've booked in for a haul out on the 3rd...oops I mean the 5th April. Weather permitting, no point if I can't get there or it's monsoon rain conditions.
    Last edited by WX; 02-26-2017 at 10:40 PM. Reason: slight error

John Welsford

Regarding Teak I had this email back.
    Hi Gary

Please see attached specs, we only have 150x25 in Burmese Teak.

The price is $57.00/lm +GST.

We keep this in our Sydney branch so you need to allow at least a week to get it here.

This price only includes freight from Sydney to Brisbane.

Thanks

Kelly Cox

Internal Sales
    Britton Timbers Queensland

John Welsford

The teak is $15200 per cubic m, about 10x hardwood .
    Grateful Dead

Peter, Length affects the cubic metre price of teak a lot, maybe 20k+ for 4 to 5M lengths, particularly wider boards. Hope the treatment goes well.
    the invisible man........

It always seems to be Hardings out this way.
    Too expensive. Got a quote from Barry once to do our road, $20,000. We got it done to perfection for $9,000.

John Welsford

Just been going through the services and supplies available at Boatworks. It seems there's very little I need to buy before I go. Antifoul and paint prices are very reasonable if not slightly cheaper. The only limit to what I can buy or have done is the contents of my wallet.
    I've booked in for a haul out on the 3rd...oops I mean the 5th April. Weather permitting, no point if I can't get there or it's monsoon rain conditions.
    I've been telling people it's going to cost me around $500 to haul for the week. Turns out I've been looking at the hardstand total.
    Try $784.50 and $904.50 if I hire one of their groundsheets. Luckily I have it squirrelled away.

Getting some good light rain.

John Welsford

Are you going to tell us that you can't use a junk rig in monsoon conditions?

Rick

$120 odd to hire a groundsheet! FFS!
    You can see why I want to keep my boat clean in the water.

I've been telling people it's going to cost me around $500 to haul for the week. Turns out I've been looking at the hardstand total.
    Try $784.50 and $904.50 if I hire one of their groundsheets. Luckily I have it squirrelled away.

Getting some good light rain.
    Try doing it in Sydney. I exceed your costs before lunch on the first day
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Are you going to tell us that you can't use a junk rig in monsoon conditions?

Rick
    I can't get out over the bar if it's rough. If it's rough and the wind is from the NW then I can't motor into it with an outboard and if it's bucketing down there is no point going anyway. Just for once give me clear skies and a nice SE wind.

John Welsford

Thought you might have had quite enough rain lately Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Try doing it in Sydney. I exceed your costs before lunch on the first day
    All the more reason to NOT live there.
    Besides there's a slight difference in size and tonnage.

John Welsford

I would probably have to go to Kyogle for it. Uki mill doesn't have any. I'll look up the Kyogle mill. I'm thinking teak as I don't have to do anything to it. Though I would probably oil it.
    Hey Gaz! Have I got a deal for you!

No money spotted gum in nice clear lengths for a day of labour to re-stack my timber stacks! I can also supply Dencorub for the lower back at the end of the day!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post

No money spotted gum in nice clear lengths for a day of labour to re-stack my timber stacks! I can also supply Dencorub for the lower back at the end of the day!

That sounds very enticing Duncan. What dimensions do you have and in what lengths?

John Welsford

What fraction of one plank per hour does that work out at?

Garry, I've got 20 x 100mm in 5m in both Spotted and Flooded Gum... VERY well seasoned.

Tom, not sure how long the job will take and how many planks I've got and how many Gaz will need. So answers, wind, blowing, string length, etc...
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Add beer and it's sounding like a good deal.

Garry, I've got 20 x 100mm in 5m in both Spotted and Flooded Gum... VERY well seasoned.

Tom, not sure how long the job will take and how many planks I've got and how many Gaz will need. So answers, wind, blowing, string length, etc...
    I only need enough to cut about 30 metres of 25mm x 25mm.my only problem is that I'm not supposed to do heavy lifting. I have an umbilical hernia.

John Welsford

+ Beer! And a cord for your umbilical!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

+ Beer! And a cord for your umbilical!
    Next week? Not Tuesday though.

John Welsford