Page 102 of 1400 FirstFirst ... 252921011021031121522026021102 ... LastLast
Results 3,536 to 3,570 of 48997

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

I do all the shopping, I shop faster and more easily than Carol.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I wonder who was the first male to circumnavigate an entire Woolworths single-handed? I'm talking traditional trolley here of course, carvel planked, and sans motor, and sans mobile phone or any other navigational aids.

The first attempt would have ended in disaster due to a lack of reliable charts the hazards are many. Funny I'm not allowed to push the trolley probably because the coarse I choose does not comply with the supermarket rules of navigation.

It would depend on the prevailing winds and the weather down near the freezers, I think it might have been a Portuguese in a caravel but there are rumours about the Chinese. I always have trouble with wide sheeted yards knocking all the cans of beans down .
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by m2c1Iw View Post
    The first attempt would have ended in disaster due to a lack of reliable charts the hazards are many. Funny I'm not allowed to push the trolley probably because the coarse I choose does not comply with the supermarket rules of navigation.
    Ah yes, the rules of navigation .... as written by a marketing guru somewhere based on the retail psychology manual ? Deep water if you are lucky .
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I can tell you that finding the balance is difficult! Neither disinterest or involvement is welcomed.
    But if I'm doing the cooking then I do the shop, by myself.
    And I thought it was just me, it seems my presence is deemed as a support role only and as an incompetent loading master.

I'm on my coxswain ticket for supermarket navigation. It's like taking the coastal trading route: One must always pass by certain landmarks in a certain order and always remain alert for specials. "Special food for special people," is the motto!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

I'd rather sail to the Arctic than try to find shampoo at the supermarket. I'd get the wrong brand anyway.

Rick

You could probably get some in the Arctic while you're there ..........
    Grateful Dead

Okay, gratuitous boat photo.

Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

She's coming along mate , step by dollar !
    Grateful Dead

I went to visit a boat yesterday, she looks very nice in the advert and very good from the outside.

but the interior was just a bit more problematic .

Grateful Dead

I was talking the Kerry tonight about how much I will have spend by launch day. I reckon it will $20,000 + or - a few thousand.

Oh that's bad Peter.

What's the hull like?

I suppose you'd have to slip her before you could tell, that pic does not augur well.

I'd say the owner has had her locked up at a mooring for a few years. The hull looks superficially OK although forward there are a few frames disappearing into concrete that look bad...stringy and essentially dissolving . The concrete would have to come out to tell . Even if it had caused problems they would be solvable but there would be a lot of work . A few broken frames too.

The deck house is small but would need compete replacement.

Apparently the rig and mast exist but I don't know about sails.

All in all , a very nice little boat that should have been sailed not tied to a pier..He has $15000 on her, I'd take her for $5000 I think.
    Last edited by PeterSibley; 06-03-2012 at 07:37 AM.
    Grateful Dead

I didn't say it yesterday Peter, but I'm actually just a little excited for you to hear that you're out looking at yachts!!!!

Don't stop and keep posting pics!!!
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

This is the ad Greg.http://www.woodenboat.com.au/forsale...p?boatid=31857

Looks nice doesn't she? Small but very sweet.

Those photos must be about 5 years old, the mess hasn't happened overnight.
    Grateful Dead

What a pity, the design (whos is it) is beaut to my eye. As they say in the classics "tell im he's dreaming" she cannot be that much with the amount of work required I'd say your offer would be generous.

Cement, ugh. Never liked that sort of ballast, as a conservator of old books I never do anything that cannot be reversed reasonably easily. The steam tug Wattle has the same problems, and just about impossible to get out. What a waste.

Speaking of boats I'm watching the Jubilee the poms sure know how to do pomp and ceremony.

She's a Laurent Giles Lymington L class .23 foot. A bit of a rough build originally but solid , probably built in the 50s..

I've emailed him that his ad was ....not fully revealing and will see if he responds .I don't know if I'll pursue it .
    Grateful Dead

Offer's above $5k would be too much in the current market and she's going to continue to deteriorate so he'd be mad not to take an offer of about 3.5 to 4k if you had any interest in doing the work. He's obviously trying to recover the cost of the new engine but he's got Buckley's chance of that right now.

Re the cement ballast, I can't get my head around how it could be anything but a rot magnet but Bern' and her dad swear by it so there must be something more to it than the obvious.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Peter, that's an interesting boat. I reckon $5000 would be about right too but only if the hardware ex engine is all available and okay. The cabin side looks like mahogany and the rot in it sort of confirms it for me, so I'd be wondering if there's any other mahogany in the boat. If that's the only bit of exposed mahogany then the overall state of the boat mightn't be too bad as mahogany will rot in situations where other timber won't. The concrete ballast probably does need to come out if some of the frames are shot. Jeff's probably right that it'll be difficult to remove but you might be lucky and find that it'll crack out if it doesn't have any reinforcement in it. I do like the prospect of Mr Sibley posting a resto thread I have to admit!Rick

I helped a guy pull out some old concrete ballast from a boat in Thailand and it actually came out very very easily by chipping it out in small and patient chunks (so that we didn't knock the hull about while breaking it up). I can't quite remember how he replaced it (I vaguely remember commenting about it on here quite some time ago) but he did so supposedly in a manner that'd be even easier to remove next time, but alas my memory completely fails me yet again.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I don't fancy being inside that with a jack hammer, but the cabin has to go so it could be done later. Peter, will I toss in my sledge when we come up?

I had lunch with Rob and his son Adam and granddaughter (name?..memory again) in Freo' today, a bit quick because granddaughter was a bit tired and justifiably bored but it was great to see him and nice to catch up. He's over for his granddaughters birthday tomorrow.

When I left him and headed back to the car I was, as I am usually, distracted by a second hand book shop and ducked in to see what treasures I might find, 'found a signed copy of Slocum's "Sailing alone around the world" in exceptional condition.................... for $14.00!!!!!!

Signed by "Lyn and Jim, Salisbury 1957......what? Did you really think I meant signed by Joshua Slocum??? ......for $14.00??
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I don't fancy being inside that with a jack hammer, but the cabin has to go so it could be done later. Peter, will I toss in my sledge when we come up?

Considering the cabin top would be the first thing to come off it wouldn't be too much of a hardship to chip it all away, I wouldn't be using any jackhammers though, possibly a small kanga', but I'd be worried about what the workings of a jackhammer might do to the rest of a relatively lightly built boat like that, ideally cold chisels and hammers or mining picks. Maybe a diamond saw blade as well.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Here's the concrete with the stringy frame , the others going in are much the same . Sorry about the photo on it's side .

A couple of the bilge and about 400 kg of inside ballast.

The original construction looks quite good, not yachty but good.

The engine , a 10hp BMW (Sole?)it runs but apparently has a problem ...something about shutting it down. i don't know the specifics.

I'm still trying to work out if I want to own her .
    Grateful Dead

Reminds me of a steel H28 I delivered poking around in the bilge was truly a terrifying experience. Interesting the concrete thing my family owned a WW1 patrol boat some years ago that had a reverse counter stern with some pretty extreme planking and the PO had poured six inches of the stuff in the stern in attempt to hold the poor old girl together which seemed to work although we always suspected the copper sheathing helped a bit as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post

The original construction looks quite good, not yachty but good.

The engine , a 10hp BMW (Sole?)it runs but apparently has a problem ...something about shutting it down. i don't know the specifics.

I'm still trying to work out if I want to own her .
    "'New' (50 Hours) BMW 10 horse Diesel"

I'd say if/when you ring the guy let him know that he's full of it.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Not quite new eh ? If it is 50 hours it's been spread over a lot of years.
    Grateful Dead

I'd almost be inclined to design and cast an exterior lead ballast keel to replace that internal ballast???? Or at least research the possibility of doing so, I don't think it'd add much draft or change the sailing dynamics (other than improve them) if done well.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    She's a Laurent Giles Lymington L class .23 foot. A bit of a rough build originally but solid , probably built in the 50s..

I've emailed him that his ad was ....not fully revealing and will see if he responds .I don't know if I'll pursue it .
    Where's it located Peter?

It wouldn't be hard but bolting down the inside ballast would be a damn good idea too !! It looks like lose cannon balls to me .
    Grateful Dead