Page 101 of 1259 FirstFirst ... 51911001011021111512016011101 ... LastLast
Results 3,501 to 3,535 of 44047

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

I'll tell you what: I wish I could have towed the Hartley over here! I did (for a very quick moment) consider it, but it would have been a slower, more expensive and more stressful trip if I had, however I have to say that this bay about 40 metres from my front door right now is ideal Hartley TS16 territory!!! Flat water, consistent breeze, plenty of room, great beaches, sail up to the front of a handful of great restaurants and coffee shops......

I'm in Rockingham right now in a short term holiday let and may end up staying here, but am hoping to get an apartment down in Mandurah where the accom' is quite a bit nicer, more available and is better value for money on the new marina, but also down there is Peel Inlet which (I'm told) is as good or even better for the likes of the Hartley.

Here are a couple of pics off the web, in the left hand pic the place that I'm staying in now is about 40 metres inland of the jetty on the left, the sailing club is just beside the jetty on the right as are the restaurants and coffee shops

Here's a pic of Mandurah, about 30 minutes (by road) south from here, and the marina area in the foreground that is built on the entrance to Peel inlet.

There are a few more buildings around the marina now and a lot of empty "for sale" ones, so a few more coming up on the rental listings there than here.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

My grandparents lived in Rockingham on the front road about 500 metres south of the jetty there. Grand dad had a few yachts tied up there. Lovely place!

I meant to ask, how's the new job going? Have you started?
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Greg, GaryK is in Mandurah. My brother lives a few miles South down near the Cut. Peel inlet use to smell like a sewer till the Cut went in, now it's million dollar views. Peel would be ideal for a Hartley TS. The little island North of Garden is called Karnak (spelling?) I did a day sail out to it one day. Lots of seals and Tiger Snakes. In Summer Fremantle gets a sea breeze in the arvo called the Fremantle Doctor, 20-25 knots. Very fast and exciting sailing is to be had.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Greg, GaryK is in Mandurah. My brother lives a few miles South down near the Cut. Peel inlet use to smell like a sewer till the Cut went in, now it's million dollar views. Peel would be ideal for a Hartley TS. The little island North of Garden is called Karnak (spelling?) I did a day sail out to it one day. Lots of seals and Tiger Snakes. In Summer Fremantle gets a sea breeze in the arvo called the Fremantle Doctor, 20-25 knots. Very fast and exciting sailing is to be had.
    Thanks Gary, I didn't realise that, or if I did I forgot it. I only realised last night that one of my best mates from Alice lives about 10 minutes east of Rockingham, he has a few acres and horses so I'm heading out there tomorrow arvo for a fire and a few beers.

Re the snakes, I did happen to see a few signs along the beaches here and there to look out for them, it looks very snaky.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

oh, I see my name mentioned.
    Yes, I'm in Mandurah. Moved here from Perth 6 years ago, 10X better imho. There's a bit of trash talk between Rocky and Mandurah, locals might rubbish each other's towns. (I tend to agree that Rocky is as rough as guts..) Anyway, we've sailed all over the peel inlet, also up the rivers which you can't see in the above pic but flow into the left hand side - all in our plywood Van der Stat 24. Because we couldnt fit under the traffic bridges, we'd sail down the ocean side to the cut (top right) and blast across the inlet with the sea breeze on the quarter. Then catch the next morning's easterly heading back.

You could also sail north, inside the outer reef and bang into Safety Bay and Penguin Is (there are actual penguins there too!)
    So I think Larks, you ought to get your Hartley over here, I'd volunteer to sail on it then, cause we've flogged the 'Stat and are quite boatless atm. Very busy slaving on the 35' cruiser sitting in the backyard - is about 80% finished too I might add..

Yeah, sorry to talk about you behind your back Gary. Actually I saw something that looked a bit like a wayfarer for sale on the front lawn of a house down at Safety Bay when Kate and I were exploring last weekend while she was here. We drove past a bit quickly to check it out but I plan to drop by tomorrow to have a closer look and see what they're after for it (and what it actually is). I did notice though (while trying not to make it too obvious that I was trying to get a better look as we cruised past) that the trailer was looking a particularly profound shade of rust.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

If you feel the urge, here are plenty more sandgroper boats.
    The quokka is a good place too.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryK View Post
    If you feel the urge, here are plenty more sandgroper boats.
    The quokka is a good place too.
    I did have a bit of a look at those boats Gary, a bit rich for me at the moment though. What is the quokka? I couldn't open that site.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

It is a local trading post type paper available at all news agencies which is also online.
    The link worked from my end..
    http://www.quokka.com.au/

Thanks gary, it did eventually open after I left it while I went for a shower, just very slow but probably because I'm using a pocket wifi connection.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Boy, has Mandurah changed since I was there in 1965 or thereabouts! I lived in Sth Perth but travelled a lot up and down the coast in an old Morris. I can't even recognise where we used to stay in a caravan park somewhere down the narrow end of the peninsula.
    There 5 minutes and contemplating a boat, can't keep a good wooden boatie down.

My brother lives down at Parkridge, not far from his favourite watering hole.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

I'm having a lazy day today, I might wander over to the shed a bit later and do something but then I might not.
    As you may gather it is raining. The 7 day forecast is a little rain or showers till next Friday.
    Eric Olthwaite on rain and black pudding.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94VWoGl1G-U

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Boy, has Mandurah changed since I was there in 1965 or thereabouts! I lived in Sth Perth but travelled a lot up and down the coast in an old Morris. I can't even recognise where we used to stay in a caravan park somewhere down the narrow end of the peninsula.
    There 5 minutes and contemplating a boat, can't keep a good wooden boatie down.
    I don't know what happened, but it went from sleepy village of 12,000 to WA's largest regional centre of 85,000 in the space of 30 years. Now Perth's rail network extends to it, as does a freeway. It will be swallowed up Perth's sprawl anyway. The water sport situation is pretty damn good though (as is Rockingham's).

Looks much changed since 2001 when I was there for a WA govt arts export talkfest. They were talking abt tearing down the old timber pub on the point and erecting some monstrosity. Even then the canalways with their Mcmansions and poxy glass megastinkboats were breeding.

Quote Originally Posted by purri View Post
    They were talking abt tearing down the old timber pub on the point and erecting some monstrosity..
    Has been done. Is mass condo now. The Peninsular hotel was sold to a bikie gang, and went down hill fast after that.. None of the locals seemed to miss it.
    ..and Rolly (Freo to Bali in 5 days) Tasker lives in the corner Mcmansion y'know!

Doesn't look any different to me at all!

Probably because I've never been there.

Rick

I don't know what happened, but it went from sleepy village of 12,000 to WA's largest regional centre of 85,000 in the space of 30 years. Now Perth's rail network extends to it, as does a freeway. It will be swallowed up Perth's sprawl anyway. The water sport situation is pretty damn good though (as is Rockingham's).
    I think it was the Cut it sweetened up the inlet, before that it was a septic tank and smelt like it.

Well I braved the mud and did a couple of things on the boat so I feel justified in laying back with a block of chocolate now.

You kinky thing you! "laying back with [...] chocolate" indeed!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Just got back from Melb., hate the place these days. Got a good deal on a trailer load of local native ferns though, I'll need some replacements after a big tree fell in the last storm. All of a sudden there's light in there.

Has been done. Is mass condo now. The Peninsular hotel was sold to a bikie gang, and went down hill fast after that.. None of the locals seemed to miss it.
    ..and Rolly (Freo to Bali in 5 days) Tasker lives in the corner Mcmansion y'know!
    I'm reminded of the lyrics of Joni Mitchell's Big Yellow Taxi: "they paved paradise and put up a parking lot".
    I'm of the opinion that Mandurah had the chance to be something of enduring value but then the white shoe brigade stepped in. (and I have rellos your way with the same opinion)

Quote Originally Posted by purri View Post
    I'm reminded of the lyrics of Joni Mitchell's Big Yellow Taxi: "they paved paradise and put up a parking lot".
    I'm of the opinion that Mandurah had the chance to be something of enduring value but then the white shoe brigade stepped in. (and I have rellos your way with the same opinion)
    Can't argue with that. The condos certainly dont do anything for the place, empty most of the time - nature of holiday digs. I was more referring to the anti social nature of some of the pubs clientele in the 80's-90's. That aspect people dont miss.

Just got back from Melb., hate the place these days.
    You'll be in trouble for saying that!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    You kinky thing you! "laying back with [...] chocolate" indeed!
    Dinner tonight was a Uki Supreme pizza...yum.

Anyone following these guys?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hD7bb-Byag

Anyone following these guys?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hD7bb-Byag
    I am now ! Great stuff Gary .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I've installed a new browser, it's called Midori and it's faster to load than Firefox. Peter if you want to try it it's in the Ubuntu Software Centre, just type it in search and then click install.It's available for Windows as well, google will find the version for you.

Scary stuff. Greenland Tsunami some years back.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2Nvw...ture=endscreen

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I am now ! Great stuff Gary .
    me too !

Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    me too !
    Did you notice how fast they were sailing at times? Flat JR panels too, no camber in them.Check out the Greenland thread I started, you'll love that as well.

And I just watched the Nansen doco again...what a truly amazing story that was...three and a half years surviving in the Arctic, just two men for most of it. And what an amazing man. As someone said to me once, most men have lost the spirit and courage of adventure. They can't even do a solo trip to the supermarket without having to call their wives on the mobile to help them find the shampoo!

Hey !! I know where the shampoo is !!
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

It's the mans job to push the trolley, not shop!

It's the mans job to push the trolley, not shop!
    I can tell you that finding the balance is difficult! Neither disinterest or involvement is welcomed.
    But if I'm doing the cooking then I do the shop, by myself.