Page 1001 of 1259 FirstFirst ... 501901951991100010011002101110511101 ... LastLast
Results 35,001 to 35,035 of 44054

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Good work Gary, well done.

sent from my nerdy phone app
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

You saved a life Gary, well done you.

Ever the perfect Marine Rescue volunteer !!!
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Well done, Gary. Sounds like you did perfectly.

20 out of 10 Gaz! Well done you!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Good work.
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was wrong, I wasn't wrong.

I'm having a glorious birthday-eve. I'll be busy tomorrow, my birthday, so we're celebrating today. I have a new One And All bucket hat, a new One And All long sleeve tee shirt, a new Moffatt tartan wind cheater, and tonight we are going on a twilight cruise on the One And All.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

The smaller the boat, the bigger the adventure.
    Tourist found on drifting surfboard 6km off Aussie coast http://ab.co/2j9QucS - via @abcnews

Paperback E-book

Good work, Gary.

Apparently, it's not an unknown way to go. We pulled a body out from Mellons Bay in NZ when I lived there, overlooking the beach. 68 year old woman. Cops said we'd probably never know if she slipped in off rocks... or walked in. I spotted her when I got up in the morning... looked out into the Bay, as always... and... 'holy crap'....
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I had fun pulling the starters off the Jimmies yesterday. They'd gotten wet with the leak and solar controller failure... along with three submerged batteries. The damn starters are held on with three bolts. I forgot that one of each set is an allen key... 3/8"... so needed my big set. Di did a special trip to deliver them. Then... one of the three bolts is against the block... behind the starter. It needs an interesting and long combo of extensions to reach it... and some jiggling to get it all connected.

I struggled for ages until I got a phone photo of the problem. I'd left a socket on one of the hidden bolts when I installed them.... 16 years ago after the engine (and starter) rebuilds. All this whilst contorted and uncomfortable down in the engine room.

Anyhow... mission accomplished... stayed to enjoy the sunset and beyond. Pulled them apart today and let the water out. Hit them with contact cleaner.... will finish the job on a day when moving doesn't entail losing a half litre of sweat an hour.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    I'm having a glorious birthday-eve. I'll be busy tomorrow, my birthday, so we're celebrating today. I have a new One And All bucket hat, a new One And All long sleeve tee shirt, a new Moffatt tartan wind cheater, and tonight we are going on a twilight cruise on the One And All.

Fetching Bruce .
    Grateful Dead

We'll look for the sporran in Hobart on the Friday..........
    Happy birthday

Warm up here today. 37C !
    Grateful Dead

Just got back from a twilight sail on the One And All as part of my birthday celebration. It was forecast to be a mild 10 to 15 knots, that looked like 15 to 20 in the river, and turned into 18 to 23 knots measured when we got out into the gulf.

It was quite a good experience. Nibbles and plenty of them, lots of crew to do the work, plenty of wind, quite a few sails up. Sheila enjoyed it too.

Paperback E-book

Just got back from a twilight sail on the One And All as part of my birthday celebration. It was forecast to be a mild 10 to 15 knots, that looked like 15 to 20 in the river, and turned into 18 to 23 knots measured when we got out into the gulf.

It was quite a good experience. Nibbles and plenty of them, lots of crew to do the work, plenty of wind, quite a few sails up. Sheila enjoyed it too.

Most excellent.

Happy Birthday Bruce !!

A lovely day up here today, quite heavy rain last night , 55mm total. 23C now ....wonderful after yesterday's humid oven!
    Grateful Dead

Happy Birthday, Bruce!

May the cake be with you Bruce!
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

And the beer! Happy birthday Bruce!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Thank you all for the birthday wishes.

Paperback E-book

Tarwin Marathon today, sailing up a long, narrow, sinuous channel till it got a bit too shallow and then back against a strengthening and shifting cold wind. Incoming tide meant lumpy seas down near the finish. Got a cramped leg, mined some sand, went aground, passed my direct opposition mostly by taking more risks in shallow water in the last leg and then handling rough water a bit better.
    Venturi leaks. Had a ball, but I spent most of the return leg outside the boat. 5.5 hours more or less.
    I'm still operating but will crash tonight.

Well done Jeff, I bet you'll crash !
    Grateful Dead

Venturies tend to leak, and rarely suck water out as fast as it comes in. In my experience.

Good job Jeff and a great result. I bet you'll be burgered in the morning.

Yes Phil, venturi bailers almost always leak after they aren't new any more. They get bent and the seals get degraded with sand. You have to be going like syink to get a good result from them. One of the reasons I've designed the sump-pump bailers for Romana.
    Paperback E-book

After spending a couple of wonderful weekends on the wooden boat at the Bay, we had a plastic week. We had an unforecast front blow through here that blocked the main road of the city, knocked out the lights of 1500 or something houses for a day or two, took out lots of trees......and guess who was sailing a windsurfer in the middle of it. Quite wild. It's very rare when all you can do on a windsurfer is just sit and wait for it all to pass.

Sailed the plastic cat this weekend - won the first two races from a tiny fleet, and then exploded the main. I've never seen anything quite like it, and can only assume that it's the result of a small tear that must have been in the luff tape when my wife wound on the 32:1 (IIRC) cunningham while we were flat stick and double trapezing. Kevlar everywhere! Raced today at our old club in awful conditions and twice lost our lead in 180 degree shifts. We then pulled out when a trailable yacht with no right whacked us and the race committee put a packed fleet of boats of all types around a 330 degree circle at a mark. Memo burned in our minds yet again - Never Return To That Club! On the plus side, I singlehanded the boat to the club while my wife was driving the trailer around, so I got to go flying a hull while trapezing under main, jib and spinnaker. Nice!

Tuesday it's back to the wooden boat, measuring out the new companionway steps, and varnishing. There's some Huon pine naked around the companionway at the moment, and the scent has made me determined to leave some uncovered Huon somewhere in the boat so the aroma can filter through, and hopefully blot out the manky bilges.

I crashed, surfaced 10 minutes ago temporarily.........
    I think I got some bruises somehow, top of my head is painful, windburn, sunburn (lost my hat somewhere) and very red in the face. But a great way to get fit, the Sabre is a very forgiving and capable boat for just a light shell. Not as fast as some newer classes however.

Chris, I've blown a spinnaker in a Cherub I think. It all happens very very quickly. One minute flying, the next in the drink.

'Night.........

After a 5.5 hour race in a Sabre it's understandable that you're hurting. Well done! I was watching one of the few local Sabres sail in the high winds last week, and it looked to be very easy to control.

I am told that 22-25 kts is perfect for the boat. I have yet to be so adventurous, and theoretically 22kts is top launch wind speed for the club. Sunday likely 18+ at the finish I think.
    I really enjoyed the fact that the race was long enough and the course loose enough to become tactical. Due to restricted water our race courses are necessarily short and multi lap. Not my favourite sort of sailing.

Happy belated Bruce sorry to miss it but I am manly posting on WB thread while I struggling with phone and IPad power requirements .Good for you Jeff getting fit on a Sabre there is hope for us old guys after all.I
    I found it took me two days to get fit once underway and get this I am suddenly doing twice the amount of chin ups.I was doing before my passage.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Back home. Here's a couple of photos I took after the officer with the bald head relieved me. The black band on the left ankle is not a an anklet, it's the sort of injury you would get from a chainsaw.
    Do you mean she has a prosthetic foot?
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Thanks Tom and everyone else for the birthday wishes. It was great.

Trying not to get carried away and drained by the mozzies here. They are fierce and plentiful. I had to go outside into the dark tonight to take a new Romana video to show off the dimmer control on the cuddly light, and I came back in covered in red blotches.
    Paperback E-book

I've shared a Romana video on Facebook, but I can't seem to copy the link using my phone to share it on the WBF, and I'm not getting up and playing with the computer. If you want to watch it you'll have to go to Facebool.

Paperback E-book

Thanks Tom and everyone else for the birthday wishes. It was great.

Trying not to get carried away and drained by the mozzies here. They are fierce and plentiful. I had to go outside into the dark tonight to take a new Romana video to show off the dimmer control on the cuddly light, and I came back in covered in red blotches.

Speaking of Mosquitoes At Lemon Tree I was surrounded by Mangroves with hardly a Mossie Very unusual situation at this time of the year ,I believe the answer lies in a healthy Eco system and the swallows so embrace those little featherd friends along with your scrubbing brush Rick.

Either that or the opposite. Maybe a fishing boat spilled a couple hundred litres of diesel recently or something.

I've shared a Romana video on Facebook, but I can't seem to copy the link using my phone to share it on the WBF, and I'm not getting up and playing with the computer. If you want to watch it you'll have to go to Facebool.

That dimmer is a beauty Bruce, it makes your Romana even more civilised !
    Grateful Dead