Page 319 of 1391 FirstFirst ... 2192693093183193203293694198191319 ... LastLast
Results 11,131 to 11,165 of 48671

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Fantastic! We plan to go in 2015. The plan is to go to Tasmania for the next AWBF then leave the boat in Tasmania for a while, to explore the Channel and go around to Bathurst Harbour. Of course it all depends on how we go with coastal voyaging!

Rick

A cruising couple I met in Savusavu last year and then again here in Auckland this year have just made landfall back in Vancouver yesterday. I forget exactly when they left but sometime around April I think. Rarotonga, Tuamotus, Penrhyn, Hawaii, home. Some hard uphill bits in there, but what an acheivement...and adventure of course.

Redwing moves into her new $30 berth tomorrow morning.
    The social contract that bestows authority — both moral and legal — on our political leaders is struck on the trust that they know what they are doing and will always act in our best interests:

$30 how often?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    $30 how often?

Rick
    Per week, which is much better than the present $60 per week. It's a tight little berth close to the bank so it should be interesting in a slightly nervous way. Redwings engine doesn't do dead slow.
    The social contract that bestows authority — both moral and legal — on our political leaders is struck on the trust that they know what they are doing and will always act in our best interests:

Cheap! Well done! Masina's engine doesn't do dead slow either since I replaced the controller. I think the throttle return spring needs replacing ... Good that your new berth's near the bank - makes it easier to get the $30!

Rick

My engine controls are slightly out of sych since i made some changes to the pedestal where they are mounted-have to do some adjustment, in forward it engages at idle and takes a bit of movement before the throttle increases, in reverse the revs rise a bit before the gears engage. But even when adjusted she doesn't really do dead slow-idle pushes us along at a good 2-3 knots. But i just go to neutral if i want to go real slow. More usually I'll keep a bit of speed on for steerage, and use reverse to stop.

I've just been down to Garry Stewarts , he is restoring a SA snapper boat.
    The owner has taken out the Yanmar PMX 8 and put in a new 12 hp Yanmar , mainly for its electric start.
    The PMX 8 is much lighter than the YSE 12 , and could be good in the right boat.
    Garry doesn't know what the owner wants for it , but it does work and is for sale.
    Regards Rob J.

That's pretty much what I do too. But the little 24hp is capable of driving it very slowly so I want to see if I can fix it. I do think the spring's just a bit worn out.

Rick

I bags this one for the race around the world. And if not that then she goes into the D'Entrecasteaux Charter Fleet. http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-fo...&Ridx=5&eapi=2 $24,000

This one is nice too, but not sure I can justify an additional $10,000 out of the cruising kitty.

She can join the charter fleet.

I reckon the cost of bringing the boats up to a standard suitable for crossing oceans is going to be a big factor.

Rick

"Classic Yacht 10m by Camper and Nicholson UK, an affordable offshore cruiser now berthed on the Gold Coast. She was built on the Pittwater in strip plank Phillipines Mahogany and protected below the waterline and on deck by Dynel sheathing. She is in sound and clean condition. Nanni 22.5 390H deisel, large icebox, new marine electric toilet and holding tank, electric anchor winch, near new sails and rigging. Good headroom. Galley with pressure water and stainless sink. Lazy jack and sailbag handling system. Roller furler jib for easy handling. New depth sounder. Bimini and good canvas covers.
    Two years ago she was refurbished with new canvas covers, interior of hull sanded and twopack primed, good battery charger and new batteries, depth sounder fitted, rigging overhauled and new vents.
    Mast has been refurbished with new fittings and repaint as required. New running rigging. All set to enjoy."

Just add liferaft-pick up a used one on fleabay, get it serviced. The one I carried on Vulcan when we sailed back from PNG I got out of a dumpster, and got a new gas canister for it, repacked it myself. Balia's one is used, out of survey, I think it cost me $300 or $500, something like that. Satphone might be a good thing, but on a low budget not essential.

Might want refrigeration in the icebox, and then you'd need solar panels to run it. Maybe a bit more battery capacity too. A chartplotter and a handheld GPS for backup, (Ebay again). Inflatable dinghy-probably new, I'm a bit wary of used ones-twice bitten on that score an epirb, and possibly PLB's for crew.

I'm allowing $15K to be ready for sea

You could of course cruise without refrigeration.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

The Fiji Bitter needs to be cold.

So, you reckon, say $20K for the boat, and another $15K to equip it? Liferaft service costs $1000 +, new rigging (it says overhauled ???) about $4000 +, registration $1000 + ... leaves you with nearly $60 000 for the trip. Sounds doable to me, as long as the boat is actually sound - might want to spend a bit on radios too, but they're not too bad now. Okay, which way are you going and what's that going to cost?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    You could of course cruise without refrigeration.
    Has that ever been done?

Rick

I reckon Greg's route sounded OK. Although there's some attraction to the high lattitudes approach-maybe in a bigger boat, though. Tasmania, Enzed, Patagonia

I just had a look at costs to transit Suez. Looks like they vary between about $500 and $5000. Piracy is a very real issue anywhere within cooee of Somalia and I tend to think that a yacht in distress wouldn't rate all that high a priority with various services anywhere around Egypt or Syria at present. I'd definitely want to visit the Mediterranean if I did the big trip but I wouldn't go through Suez. I'd go to Madascar. I think I'd go around the top end of Oz then across to the Maldives via Timor, then Madascar and South Africa. Then the long haul up to the Med and all that Eurasian territory. Then I'd head up to Scandinavia and the UK before heading for Panama. From Panama, I'd go to the Galapagos and island hop home from there - slowly. Actually, I'd probably skip Scandinavia, spend a bit more time in Spain and Portugal and then head straight to Panama.

Rick

... I'd probably skip Scandinavia, spend a bit more time in Spain and Portugal and then head straight to Panama.

Rick
    I like most of that itinerary, except I'd want to spend a little bit of time, depending on the time of year, around continental US. I definitely want to plan to visit friends in Mystic. But I do like the idea of a westerly transit, via Africa to Europe.

I think the itinerary should have times of year to make each major passage, maybe not in the initial competition entry, but perhaps as a next stage analysis after that. The in-trip costs will be somewhat dependent on how long the trip takes and how much time is spent swanning about vs transiting.

If we could start-finish anywhere , I'd start in Scandinavia.
    Rob J.

I have come across a few blogs which help with timing-one is 6 years in, another 7....One of them says they spent a year circumnavigating tassie-and didn't have enough time to see everything they wanted to see.....Its interesting to me that these sorts of blogs talk much more about the places than the sailing. Sitting on shore we worry unduly I think about having all the right gear and reading all the right books and all that stuff. Apart from those who seem to be singularly unsuited to sailing, and need to calla technician to change a lightbulb in the saloon, most seem to just get on with it, keep up with the maintenance, and have a great time travelling. I count myself amongst the shorebound armchair sailors, worrying far too much about what might go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Portland View Post
    If we could start-finish anywhere , I'd start in Scandinavia.
    Rob J.
    If that's your plan, I want a berth on your trip. I reckon you'd be finishing in Portland though, wouldn't you?

By the way, did Laurie go get his boat? How did the trip back go?

Well I guess I would finish in Portland , eventually Bruce.
    But Oslo to Oslo , arriving early in the summer , in time to explore some fjords sounds good to me !.
    As an example only , here is $40,000 worth of boat http://www.finn.no/finn/boat/used/ob...nkode=42087843 .
    I haven't heard from Laurie , I reckon its just to dirty to go get his boat just yet.
    Unless he went and got it without me.
    Rob J.

I think the starting and finishing in the Antipodes just simplifies the competition and gives it a local angle. As far as what the itinerary is and what gear is taken, it doesn't matter. There are no judges and the winner will just be whoever gets the most votes from other contributors. And anyone can criticise anyone's case all they like. Only three rules so far - <$100K (can't include working for money as you go - total cost has to be <100K), wooden boat, start and finish in Antipodes. Best approach, according to the contributors, wins. I'll put it here in People and Places.

Rick

Ready, set, go! The Great Boomerang Challenge - in People and Places. Good luck!

Rick

I'm in

Has that ever been done?

Rick
    Yep.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I had a quite nice experience this afternoon. It possibly though not probably could support my notion of funding a round the world trip. An abandoned-looking cafe near us has a coffee machine under a cloth cover on a counter top so I went to see if the next door shop tenant knew the story. The cafe was open! Well, it was just closed up for the day, and it turns out this week was opening week. I introduced myself to the proprietor, a lovely lady with a Brit accent, (who assured me her husband is a police officer to keep me above board) and I explained my life story as a would-be barista. Long story, but I managed to get her to say she'd let me come in at the start and end of the day and learn how she sets up and shuts down her GORGEOUS espresso machine (it's a barista thing) and she even said I could have a few practices on it, then gave me some magic beans to take home and make coffee with. The beans are Ugandan organic fair-trade medium-dark roast and make pretty wonderful coffee. So, this cafe is on one of the main roads leading to my old workplace, and I know lots of people who still work there, and I reckon I could do some good word-of-mouth advertising for her, and if I'm there when people come in for coffee and they say 'Hi Bruce, is this the place that makes that great coffee you told us about' then maybe, just maybe, I'll get my foot in the door, my apron behind the counter, my hands on the machine and a job. Just maybe. Then the $$ start going into the boat account, the Scamp gets completed, and Dinah falls back in love with sailing, and Bob is the uncle that waves goodbye as we sail off on a circumnavigation on a boat of your choice (see post #11640 above). PS I've drunk a lot a LOT of coffee today.

Good Luck Bruce and I like that glass !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

+1 Bruce! Good luck with it! Scamp and a Mirror! Think about it...

I know exactly how much you need the job, because I'm in pretty much the same circumstance right now: Spoke to a town planner today and he said he'd done no planning applications for any major buildings, developments or subdivisions in the Tweed in the last five years. I applied for a job in Melbourne and it's been put on hold for a while. I really need a landscape design commission to come through my door and soon.

www.duncangibbs.com.au

Spread the word!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

This could be a contender: double diagonal kauri, decent bit of kit (including that life raft)

at NZD19k - about AUD16.5k, probably a starting offer around AUD10k to tops at AUD12.99k would give room to deal with any minor hull or fastening problems

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boat...-601388715.htm

and some good shelter from the weather:

Last edited by Larks; 08-02-2013 at 08:20 AM.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Good luck Dunc. Hoping something good is coming your way mate.

Sounds promising Bruce. I could allocate you a bit of land with an old trade store on it in town here if you like. Might be a issues with work permits though.

BTW I have a mate who bought himslef an old coffee machine. Commercial/cafe variety. Takes it to the odd country show and makes a motza. There is a never ending queue in front of his stall all day long. No fancy pants van, just a machine on a trestle table and a cash tin. His is nowhere near and shiny as this one for $1200.00 but it sure does the job. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Commercia...item2a2fb111be