Page 1379 of 1416 FirstFirst ... 3798791279132913691378137913801389 ... LastLast
Results 48,231 to 48,265 of 49540

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by ron jesche View Post
    Attachment 51919
    I use the Genoa when the forecast is for below 15 knots. The citter rig looks fantastic and is what I start with on windoer days. Both the Staysail and flying sails are on endless line furlers so I don't have to leave the cockpit.
    She is a sweet looking’ Sealion ‘ especially with that high peaked gaff rig.

l gather you just shackle on your fore sails prior to departure.
    Are you using wire or torque rope in your luff for furling and what make and size of endless furler are you using?
    Last edited by auscruisertom; 01-28-2020 at 06:03 PM.

Okay, JB, I want to know all about that bird ....

And yes please Ron - tell us all about the furlers!

Rick

My bird?
    It's a legless stork we found on the beach one Christmas. Someone has a habit of picking stuff like that up and taking it home, someone even moves it to new homes. Someone has a problem.

I've been thinking of giving it new prosthetics and changing it to a Royal Spoonbill, cos they work the mangrove flats in winter and spring. But then I thought what if they see it and come up to the house to visit it, what would happen then ?

My furlers are Pro Furl, and I think the smallest they make.The Staysail and both flying sails have torque rope. The furler on the bowrprit has a snap shackle for easy attachment, and the sails are easily interchangeable. The other is a structural furler, so the forestay turns as well.The staysail hanks on to the forestay and to the furler and the whole lot turns. With these furlers there is no reefing so the sail is either in or out. When shortening sail I furl the sail on the bowsprit first giving an all inboard rig, and reef the main next.
    With the gaff rig not needing so much rig tension I have used dyneema for the side stays. A bit of an experiment but very successful.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    My bird?
    It's a legless stork we found on the beach one Christmas. Someone has a habit of picking stuff like that up and taking it home, someone even moves it to new homes. Someone has a problem.

I've been thinking of giving it new prosthetics and changing it to a Royal Spoonbill, cos they work the mangrove flats in winter and spring. But then I thought what if they see it and come up to the house to visit it, what would happen then ?
    I suspect they'd lose interest and leave again, depending on perspicacity of that population.

I'm thinking you need a tyre swan.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I suspect they'd lose interest and leave again, depending on perspicacity of that population.

I'm thinking you need a tyre swan.

Rick
    If I could get a cross ply. .......

I think they do make the best swans.

Rick

Looking around for halyard line for my Gaff conversion. I was thinking of a more traditional looking three strand 10mm .However when looking at prices of $3.60m for Hempex and similar prices for Langman ropes I may have to consider alternative solutions
    . Anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

I think you can go overboard in trying to get everything looking as it did 80 years ago. I think it's appropriate for a boat in a static display but for a boat that's used regularly, I'd go with good double braid. You can get it in plain colours - like brown or white. The only three-strand ropes I see these days are that plastic white stuff or even more plasticky coloured stuff

Rick

I think you can go overboard in trying to get everything looking as it did 80 years ago. I think it's appropriate for a boat in a static display but for a boat that's used regularly, I'd go with good double braid. You can get it in plain colours - like brown or white. The only three-strand ropes I see these days are that plastic white stuff or even more plasticky coloured stuff

Rick
    Thanks Rick Reflecting on my recent search for traditional three strand it probably had more to do with a friends opinion as to what should be used, although three strand can be spliced easily which can be advantageous.

One of my initial choices was 10 mm black double braid with gold and white streaks .

Any other colour Halyard suggestions with a varnished spar that will undoubtedly be painted white in the near future.?

White double braid, or brown. I like using different colours for different lines. It msakes things a lot easier when visitors are aboard, and for me too!

Rick

I'm sure I posted something on rope here. But now I can't see it. Maybe I've been banned.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Anyway. White braid on dad's boat

White double braid, or brown. I like using different colours for different lines. It msakes things a lot easier when visitors are aboard, and for me too!

Rick
    I would be the first to agree with using different colours for halyards, considering on WB I have 6 red halyard lines for starters then there is the topper and pole gear So it’s not surprising I tend to become the foredeck monkey when sailing with company.

Since it looks to be double braid I’m getting just wondering if I might be able to get away with 8mm in order to reduce windage and weight.?

Depends how much you like having skin on your hands.

Since it's halyards we're talking about, I think 8mm is fine (no pun there). Thicker line is certainly more comfortable to handle but I see no problem using 8mm for halyards.

Rick

Another day of squalls and capsizes. Cartwheeling catamarans, a Laser blown stright out of the water. Broken mast and a holed boat in another class.
    I just got wet a few times before I fled to shore..

Tom, take a look at Fineline NZ double braid polyester , they make a colour called 'Traditional' . A light tan colour, with a choice of flecks . Popular with the classic yachts here

Hi Neil! I looked up Fineline but it looks like you need to go through a retailer. There don't seem to be any in Aus, except for a site in Melbourne that looks defunct. So, Burnsco don't seem to stock the Traditional braid - what retailer would you suggest?

Rick

Whittam https://www.whittamropes.com.au/prod...ne-products-2/ make a brown double braid.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Another day of squalls and capsizes. Cartwheeling catamarans, a Laser blown stright out of the water. Broken mast and a holed boat in another class.
    I just got wet a few times before I fled to shore..
    You do lead an exciting life Jeff.
    We had storm come through around 5pm yesterday, impressive wind gusts and an inch of rain. 36c yesterday and a predicted 25c today.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

No sooner do I get the news that a friend has arrived safely in Adelaide delivering his 40 footer back from the US than I get another message that a delightful couple I sailed alongside in 2017 are currently sailing out of Port Phillip Bay for a Tassie cruise.

I like sailing vicariously through other people's cruises. It's drier and cheaper and I don't have anyone panicking that I may have drowned when the wind blows. Although I do sometimes miss salty spray and navigating at night.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

No sooner do I get the news that a friend has arrived safely in Adelaide delivering his 40 footer back from the US than I get another message that a delightful couple I sailed alongside in 2017 are currently sailing out of Port Phillip Bay for a Tassie cruise.

I like sailing vicariously through other people's cruises. It's drier and cheaper and I don't have anyone panicking that I may have drowned when the wind blows. Although I do sometimes miss salty spray and navigating at night.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post

I can see you wandering around the backyard, blindfolded, tipping a bucket of saltwater on your head. In winter, stay out there until the shivering prevents speech, then pop inside for a warm shower and hop back into bed.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Neil C View Post
    Tom, take a look at Fineline NZ double braid polyester , they make a colour called 'Traditional' . A light tan colour, with a choice of flecks . Popular with the classic yachts here
    Thanks Neil after much deliberation I ended up rejecting the black and gold look and going with 8 mm double braid in a tan colour from Sydney rope supplies. The price seemed fair at just $1.04 per meter for a 100 m roll.

Good rain predicted over the next 4 days, over 200mm expected.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Not boat related but pretty cool I reckon. I got an old spa for free a while ago. Hooked it up to solar panels for heating, not wanting to spend a lot on electric heating. OK on hot days. Not so good on cool cloudy days or at night. A couple of weeks ago I found a 1940s or so chip heater on Facebook. And to my surprise it actually works! Takes a couple of hours from cold to warm which means using the spa is a bit of an event, but I can convince myself that's part of the charm. A nice hot spa on a cool evening, a glass of red and the gentle smell of a wood fire is quite the thing.

So, you sit in the spa on hot days eating warm chips?

Rick

Burnt chips.

Even better!

It's a pity it doesn't snow there. You could do that jumping in the freezing water then diving into the hot spa thing. Do you have a dam?

Rick

My first girlfriends family had one of those that had been converted to gas. Lighting procedure involved a taper on a swing arm. Light the taper, turn on the gas, rotate the taper throught the hole provided. Simple……………. but get the sequence wrong and……………. BOOM! Happened a few times and I am unsure if the canversion was legal. It certainly wasn't safe.
    Of course my grandparents had one, small sticks and bark to fire it, but water being in tanks and all the bath did not get a lot of use. Have you heard about the 'possible wash? Up as far as possible and down as far as possible whilst standing i a small tin bath of vaguely warm water...

Even better!

It's a pity it doesn't snow there. You could do that jumping in the freezing water then diving into the hot spa thing. Do you have a dam?

Rick
    No dam. But it does get pretty bracing in winter. A dash through the frost from spa to house would get the circulation going I'm sure.

My first girlfriends family had one of those that had been converted to gas. Lighting procedure involved a taper on a swing arm. Light the taper, turn on the gas, rotate the taper throught the hole provided. Simple……………. but get the sequence wrong and……………. BOOM! Happened a few times and I am unsure if the canversion was legal. It certainly wasn't safe.
    Of course my grandparents had one, small sticks and bark to fire it, but water being in tanks and all the bath did not get a lot of use. Have you heard about the 'possible wash? Up as far as possible and down as far as possible whilst standing i a small tin bath of vaguely warm water...
    APC bath.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    No dam. But it does get pretty bracing in winter. A dash through the frost from spa to house would get the circulation going I'm sure.

Just make sure the chips are burnt before you dive in.

Rick

That reminds me of Dusty Springfield who never had a bath at all.

Rick