Page 1484 of 1489 FirstFirst ... 484984138414341474148314841485 ... LastLast
Results 51,906 to 51,940 of 52087

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

When was the original supposed to have been built? British settlement didn't commence until 1788 and pretty much the entire effort went into growing things for survival for the first few years. Some of them must have been pretty resourceful if they were already building substantial boats by 1800.
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

i dont know when Rick,

So there are plans to build a replica?
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned

yes, i dont know how detailed

darnhard@ozemail.com.au, contact daniel hardie

[COLOR=var(--primary-text)]As suggested by Phil Howson a meeting is to be held in the Garden Room of the Paragon Hotel in Loftus Street at Circular Quay - Just above the Boatyard where the RHP was built in 1789 - at 2pm Monday next 25 July. Please come along and give us the benefit of your experience.[/COLOR]

I have the design for my new sail. It gets made next month.
    Hart16.jpg
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I have the design for my new sail. It gets made next month.
    Hart16.jpg

Looks nice. Is it anything like the design that goanywhere used on his TS? I don't recall how many panels his had, but it flew well, stowed well, pointed ok for a jibless sail, and was fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Looks nice. Is it anything like the design that goanywhere used on his TS? I don't recall how many panels his had, but it flew well, stowed well, pointed ok for a jibless sail, and was fun.

I think his sail was flat cut, mine will have 6% camber in the panels.
    In shape his first sail was similar.
    20161014_185855.jpg

His second sail was a bit different.
    Hartley Junk.jpg

[QUOTE=WX;6697375]I think his sail was flat cut, mine will have 6% camber in the panels.
    In shape his first sail was similar.
    His second sail was a bit different.

Yes I think I remember the blue sail being flat cut. I don't know that I ever saw the white sail. I may have, but if I did it has been lost to my memory.

I'm pretty sure the blue sail was the one used in the two sea trials. In the second trial the boat was very heavily loaded and yet the performance was ok.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Seven and a bit years ago Janet was relaunched following restoration and refurbishment over a period of eighteen months.
    1402281_1637147359855631_4528920411941875457_o.jpg
    Enjoyed every minute of it.

janet 2015.jpg
    First sail 19th July 2015. Yes I'm three days late posting this.
    Janet, 120 years old this year and still going strong.
    Happy Birthday old girl.
    Last edited by Mike1902; 07-20-2022 at 11:50 PM.
    Focus on the effort not the outcome.

"Don't take life seriously. Either way, you won't make it out alive."

Excuse my ignorance, is that a Dragon?

Excuse my ignorance, is that a Dragon?
    No it's not Gary but I can understand why you would think so.
    A mate of mine has a Dragon and we have had the discussion about the similar lines.
    Janet measures just over 32 feet, the dragons just over 29.
    She was designed by Charles Bailey Jnr to the 24ft linear rating of the time.
    They were built a bit on the lighter side especially for racing and were never intended to last that long, Janet's hull is mostly original I think, she seems to have had a charmed life.
    Single handed or with half a dozen others in that large cockpit, she is a great boat to sail...can get a bit wet though.
    Cheers,
    Mike.

Looks fun to sail, but as you say...wet.

Beautiful Mike! Many happy returns - what an innings!!
    Rick

Lovely looking yacht!
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Looks fun to sail, but as you say...wet.
    They had the nickname "Drainpipes". Talking to a previous owner, he told me that upon the purchase of Janet a mate gave him a pair of diving googles and a snorkel.
    Fortunately where I sail, Napier in the Hawkes Bay, the sea state is generally sedate and I pick my days.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Beautiful Mike! Many happy returns - what an innings!!
    Thanks Rick.
    A good innings alright.
    Following the sale of Janet, the Sutherland brothers who had built and raced Janet went on to build and race Waione, John B's boat, another great innings right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    Lovely looking yacht!
    Thanks mate.
    She certainly gets the attention.
    Here she is in original form. Photo taken in 1904 off Torpedo Bay, Devonport, Auckland.
    1904 Janet_zps8zlk4oin.jpg

Batten down the hatches JB.
    IMG-7833.jpg

Again. I love living in Wetland ,NZ.

For Hallam

IMG_20220724_120909227_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220724_120951495_HDR.jpg

The guy who owns it has done a lot of work over many years. Just about finished now, I reckon. Lovely boat.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Again. I love living in Wetland ,NZ.
    The adjoining community to ours is called Gumboot Gully...it pretty much describes the last 7 months. I know I was sliding around in mine today.

For Hallam

IMG_20220724_120909227_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220724_120951495_HDR.jpg

The guy who owns it has done a lot of work over many years. Just about finished now, I reckon. Lovely boat.
    Thanks, a very comfortable boat I reckon! I suppose like me he's been using it over the years and working during prolonged haul outs? I'm really looking forward to getting back on the water. Crap load of work to do yet though. Saloon floor, ice box for the Oz fridge, fuel tank for extended cruising, wiring the engine in, new shaft and dripless seal, then some work on the deck and rigging. All before January! I'm taking some long service in at the end of the school term plus working 3 day week ends and after hours.

Got the motor in mine over the week end. Built in 2 new red ironbark engine beds for it. The former arrangement was a bit average with angle iron attaching the floor timbers. Sold the 2 Perkins 4108's and put in a Yanmar 4JH2 DTE. 88 Hp should do the trick. Will post an update on my Warana thread soon.

Last edited by Hallam; 07-26-2022 at 03:03 AM.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Thanks, a very comfortable boat I reckon! I suppose like me he's been using it over the years and working during prolonged haul outs? I'm really looking forward to getting back on the water. Crap load of work to do yet though. Saloon floor, ice box for the Oz fridge, fuel tank for extended cruising, wiring the engine in, new shaft and dripless seal, then some work on the deck and rigging. All before January! I'm taking some long service in at the end of the school term plus working 3 day week ends and after hours.

Got the motor in mine over the week end. Built in 2 new red ironbark engine beds for it. The former arrangement was a bit average with angle iron attaching the floor timbers. Sold the 2 Perkins 4108's and put in a Yanmar 4JH2 DTE. 88 Hp should do the trick. Will post an update on my Warana thread soon.

Seriously clean bilge there, mine never looked like that.

Nor did mine until I removed the old Perkins, scraped all the sludge out, rubbed sawdust in it to soak up more oil, let it dry, scraped the timber with a sharpened scraper then washed with sugar soap, used heat gun and sharpened scraper to remove paint and red lead back to bare timber, more sugar soap washing, then applied Norglass epoxy wood preserver, and their shipshape epoxy undercoat. It was a bit of an effort, and that’s an understatement! This motor won’t leak oil so the bilge should stay reasonably clean.
    Last edited by Hallam; 07-26-2022 at 05:56 PM.

Bruce Cockburn

This was the bilge before the clean: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...94#post4703094

Bruce Cockburn

This was the bilge before the clean: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...94#post4703094
    That's more like it.

Been down to check the boat. In the roofed racks with a 'waterproof' cover…… not so much waterproof, but we've had a lot of rain, like now………...

Hey Jeff I think I've met your doppelganger, he works at the Stotts Island waste management site.

Damn, how did I miss that thread? Just binge read the whole thing start to finish - what a nice looking boat!

Pete
    The Ignore feature, lowering blood pressure since 1862. Ahhhhhhh.

Hey Jeff I think I've met your doppelganger, he works at the Stotts Island waste management site.
    I have a Scottish half brother, from dad's RN time out of Scapa Flow. He'a a dead ringer too, and I worked with him at Falls Creek in 1970. His mum finally came good, but dad always denied it. I have a few 'halves' around the world I reckon, we've found a couple. A family tradition started by his grandpa we think.

Golly it has been nine years since the great wossname challenge to plan to sail around the world in a wooden boat. It might be time for more big-thinking things in this thread.

Well, Masina's much younger sister, Echo, just sold at auction for about 20K NZ so I think the modern version of that challenge has just been answered! Okay, Echo apparently has borer infestation in coaming and maybe some other superstructure but I reckon she'd be very capable and satisfactory for a round-the-world adventure. Would have to be fumigated if landing in Aus, though.

How about a different challenge? I'm planning to build a new dinghy. It will be nesting, it must row really well, and it has to weigh less than 25kg. It must be available as a plan, not a kit. I already have one in mind but that would be a'tellin'. There'll be a prize if you win (if your suggestion is chosen for the build). The challenge closes when I've finished Masina's dodger, which I haven't started yet but which WILL be started this month unless it teems with rain.
    Last edited by RFNK; 07-31-2022 at 08:54 PM.
    Rick

Well, Masina's much younger sister, Echo, just sold at auction for about 20K NZ so I think the modern version of that challenge has just been answered! Okay, Echo apparently has borer infestation in coaming and maybe some other superstructure but I reckon she'd be very capable and satisfactory for a round-the-world adventure. Would have to be fumigated if landing in Aus, though.

How about a different challenge? I'm planning to build a new dinghy. It will be nesting, it must row really well, and it has to weigh less than 25kg. It must be available as a plan, not a kit. I already have one in mind but that would be a'tellin'. There'll be a prize if you win (if your suggestion is chosen for the build). The challenge closes when I've finished Masina's dodger, which I haven't started yet but which WILL be started this month unless it teems with rain.

Are there any other requirements or specifications for the dinghy?