Page 1270 of 1270 FirstFirst ... 27077011701220126012691270
Results 44,416 to 44,435 of 44435

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Stories of misfortune have a tendency to turn out the best adventure stories once all the dust has settled.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Engines are hard things to love. You have this beautifully designed boat set up to draw power from the wind and we stick a noisy, smelly, complicated lump of metal in it that turns out lives into misery. They're handy things but it's a shame we need them at all.

Rick

Love your engine and it will love you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like I’m up for a new plunge router. I have one in the router table the switch is shot so it’s dodgy to use by hand. I have a Ryobe but I discovered today the bearings are shot and I have a Elu but that just refuses to work. Now I could bugger about trying to get the old bearings out of the Ryobe and I tried but several screws refuse to budge. Or I can just buy a new Ryobe for $150 at Bunnings which is I think is the best option...given the problem may not just be the bearings.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Looks like I’m up for a new plunge router. I have one in the router table the switch is shot so it’s dodgy to use by hand. I have a Ryobe but I discovered today the bearings are shot and I have a Elu but that just refuses to work. Now I could bugger about trying to get the old bearings out of the Ryobe and I tried but several screws refuse to budge. Or I can just buy a new Ryobe for $150 at Bunnings which is I think is the best option...given the problem may not just be the bearings.
    Id try facebook marketplace, or gumtree. Find a used one that someone thought would be a neat gadget, used once or twice and is now having a shed clearout. I mean how many faux colonial pine bookshelves can any house take?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Love your engine and it will love you.
    I agree with this, and this is the challenge, you see. It's so stinky, and ugly, and ineffective...

Treat anything, even a machine, like a thing worthy of looking after, help it to do its best, and it'll usually return the favour.
    This school of belief also, unfortunately, includes accepting the possibility of the occasional psychopath machine.

Looks like Iím up for a new plunge router. I have one in the router table the switch is shot so itís dodgy to use by hand. I have a Ryobe but I discovered today the bearings are shot and I have a Elu but that just refuses to work. Now I could bugger about trying to get the old bearings out of the Ryobe and I tried but several screws refuse to budge. Or I can just buy a new Ryobe for $150 at Bunnings which is I think is the best option...given the problem may not just be the bearings.
    Can you not bypass the switch of the one in the table? A remote switch is better in that setup anyway.

(edit) ...oh... wait. Now I've read your post properly. You want to use it hand held. Okay. I retract my suggestion. :-)

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Engines, they are such a whole world of stuff all by themselves.
    Aren't wooden boats complicated enough?

I use my motor to get off our mooring and come back on. It's pretty crowded and sailing onto it is fraught, amongst the pricey looking fragile catamarans. Very few options for recovering if you lose it.
    I am very grateful when i have family on board and need to motor out of a blow, or everyone is just tired and wants to go home - straight line to the mooring is nice.

But, bloody hell, such work. Oil changes, hanging upside down in the bilge to change the filter. Oil leaks into the bilge. Batteries, alternators, injectors, smelly, bleeding fuel lines, filters/filters/filters, electrics, "who didn't push the fuel cut off back in!?....again!". Did i mention upside down in the bilge?

My heat exchange system needs love, god knows where to start.
    I saw a de-salting flush system the other day - is it worth while?
    "People should be able to access these benefits [Social Welfare] as a matter of right, with no more loss of their own standards of self-respect than would be involved in collecting from an insurance company the proceeds of an endowment policy on which they have been paying premiums for years."
    Robert Menzies - Liberal Party (Conservative) Prime Minister of Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Thank goodness for egg-tooth!

Rick
    Yes indeed. it's helped me out of more than one tight corner!
    You can never have too many clamps.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Engines, they are such a whole world of stuff all by themselves.
    Aren't wooden boats complicated enough?

I use my motor to get off our mooring and come back on. It's pretty crowded and sailing onto it is fraught, amongst the pricey looking fragile catamarans. Very few options for recovering if you lose it.
    I am very grateful when i have family on board and need to motor out of a blow, or everyone is just tired and wants to go home - straight line to the mooring is nice.

But, bloody hell, such work. Oil changes, hanging upside down in the bilge to change the filter. Oil leaks into the bilge. Batteries, alternators, injectors, smelly, bleeding fuel lines, filters/filters/filters, electrics, "who didn't push the fuel cut off back in!?....again!". Did i mention upside down in the bilge?

My heat exchange system needs love, god knows where to start.
    I saw a de-salting flush system the other day - is it worth while?
    It is always a trade off, the convenience of an engine is unquestionable but comes with a downside as you describe, or have the joy of sailing engineless, costs less time and money, doesn't use up space better used for water tanks and stores, but also has a downside of needing to wait at anchor for tides, maybe not leave or enter a pen until conditions suit etc etc. I've tried both options and now go engineless. Easier for me because my boats are small and I am never on any particular schedule. My new boat has big water tight lockers where an inboard would normally go.

Id try facebook marketplace, or gumtree. Find a used one that someone thought would be a neat gadget, used once or twice and is now having a shed clearout. I mean how many faux colonial pine bookshelves can any house take?
    On Gumtree there's a Hitachi for $100 or nearest offer at Mullumbimby. Looks well used. I'll try the local Facebook swap and sells.

On Gumtree there's a Hitachi for $100 or nearest offer at Mullumbimby. Looks well used. I'll try the local Facebook swap and sells.
    Theres one on the Gold Coast for $90, Bosch, used only a few times. Facebook marketplace. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...7581432611201/

This one looks OK Gary https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mull...ter/1197712821
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    That's the one I was looking at, I'll send him a message.

Though for an extra $50 I could have a brand new one.

And there was me, thinking you were some kind of hippie.

And there was me, thinking you were some kind of hippie.
    I am but I like nice things too.

Though for an extra $50 I could have a brand new one.
    But not a Hitachi, good gear.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    But not a Hitachi, good gear.
    True but that one looks like it's done a lot of work. I already have a cupboard full of worn out power tools, do I want another one?

Looks like we have a trip to Hobart coming up soon so naturally I'm trying to drag the family to the the Wooden Boat Centre for a look, last time I was there was about 14 years ago and wasn't a lot going on, anyone on here work there or has anyone been lately?

Phill