Thread: Great Lakes?

Default Great Lakes?

Hello friends! So, I have the opportunity to choose my own boating trip this summer (my spouse is planning it as part of our anniversary trip). We’ve talked about going to Michigan, but which of the Great Lakes do you think is best for boating? I’ve been doing some research (and have seen that most people suggest Superior), but I wanted to hear it from other boaters.Thanks!

Default Re: Great Lakes?

Huron has more islands and more extensive protected waters.
    -Dave

Stick to the norther 1/4 of lake Huron and lake Michigan ( Traverse City, Alpena and Killarney Ontario line). The Saint Mary's river to the Soo is nice but not much sailing. You need your passport if you go to Canada but you figured that. I am out of Lake Charlevoix and will never get tired of this area. Lake Superior is real nice but kind of a short summer season (best July - 1 St half of Aug)

Lake Michigan has some fine summer sailing. 300+ miles north to south with many harbors and attractions on both eastern and western shores (Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Michigan) The Chicago-Mackinaw Race in July is a major sailing event. The Apostle Islands in Lake Superior are definitely worth a visit by sail. Weather can change quickly.
    I'm high on life. The trick is to grind it up and snort it.

Hi,

What type of boat / areas do you want to visit ? The North Channel is probably the most popular location.

Cheers,
    Mark

Michigan is awesome. There are public marinas about every 10-15 miles along both coasts that are cheap, have clean showers and picnic area and I found them all within a half mile of a town ( walk for supplies). As an out of stater whose cruised in various places its a good destination. You can start urban (Chicago) hit rural and small towns and all the way back to urban boating again at Detroit. Pick your pleasure.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Do you want cities and marinas? Or a wilderness feel and solitude?

If the latter, Georgian Bay (east end of Lake Huron) can't be beat. The North Channel (north end of Lake Huron) is nice but less wild. The north shore of Superior, and the eastern shore, are outstanding but (Pukwaska/eastern shore) not too sheltered except for kayaks and small boats.

The Apostle Islands are popular, but are not my favorite.

Door County (Wisconsin's "thumb") is nice if you like marinas and touristy little towns with good restaurants. Also, Green Bay (west of the thumb) is pleasantly warm for swimming in summer, UNLIKE the rest of Lake Michigan or Superior. I find the North Channel and Georgian Bay good for swimming as well.

Water levels will be at or near record highs again on Michigan/Huron this summer, I think. Like, high enough to be above fuel docks at some marinas.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Tom! You're killing me! Our Chequamegon bay, while admittedly hard to pronounce, is the obvious best! Just think of the centuries of maritime carnage one can have the shiver inducing privilege of sailing over. And if the weather indeed turns foul, one can always make for land and come visit me. Depending on the time of day, I can have either a cup of coffee or an industrial yellow can of my shop beer du jour (Hamm's) at the ready for those looking for some shelter from the storm. Leomatthewadams, in the end, just know there are lots (and lots) of right approaches out here in the upper midwest.

Quote Originally Posted by jwswan View Post
    Tom! You're killing me! Our Chequamegon bay, while admittedly hard to pronounce, is the obvious best! Just think of the centuries of maritime carnage one can have the shiver inducing privilege of sailing over. And if the weather indeed turns foul, one can always make for land and come visit me. Depending on the time of day, I can have either a cup of coffee or an industrial yellow can of my shop beer du jour (Hamm's) at the ready for those looking for some shelter from the storm. Leomatthewadams, in the end, just know there are lots (and lots) of right approaches out here in the upper midwest.
    I gotta take a boat up to Ashland sometime--I've sailed the Apostles, but not Chequamegon Bay. Love that lee shore sailing in the biggest and baddest of the Lakes!

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

North Channel, between Manitoulin Is and the North shore of Huron, though I have heard it has become too popular since I was last there. MacGregor Bay for the real deal, but you can shear your keel off on granite. South Manitou Island in Lake Michigan, No real all-weather harbor but magical. The North West corner of Lake Michigan was nice and not too touristy when last I was there: Fayette, etc. The holy grail is to be in some sheltered bay after a couple days of fairly calm, sunny weather when a light wind might blow the surface water in, the water becomes as warm as a bathtub and you can swim and dive for hours.... and you don't have to wash the salt off :-)

Ken