Page 1301 of 1369 FirstFirst ... 30180112011251129113001301130213111351 ... LastLast
Results 45,501 to 45,535 of 47907

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

I'm slightly paused at the moment. Waiting for my next order of peel ply to arrive. I'd hoped to see it yesterday, but today is possibly more realistic. Ordered it on Monday. So I'm going to start dismantling the foredeck. I think I'll remove the anchor winch first. Which is going to require removing the anchor. Not quite sure how I will do that. It's quite heavy. I guess one option is to just lower it on an expendable piece of rope-it will come up pretty foul after a few weeks. Or maybe take the weight on a halyard and try to swing it onto the berth. Or slew the boat around so the bow overhangs the berth. That sounds like a plan.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    For sale, suit handyman.
    Attachment 33561
    A tube or two of 5200 and some ratchet straps should bring those planks back up to the transom. No worries.

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I'm considering 5200 one side and butyl tape the other.

You'll develop a list.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    You'll develop a list.

Rick
    No, Felicity does those. I'm trying to ignore them while I do the deck.

You already have two on yours.

Rick

Jeez.. that's sad news about the father and son. Such experience too.

Well I finally took the genoa off the forestay. I think it might be about a year since it's been unrolled, and 3 years since it's been lowered.I did take it down to check it over before we sailed up from Tassie.

Last edited by Phil Y; 03-20-2019 at 08:53 PM.

And I got the anchor off. The controller on a leash was very handy, I worked the winch from the dock as I guided the anchor down. Even the galvanised shackle which was last undone about 6 years ago came apart without complaint or swearing.

Last edited by Phil Y; 03-20-2019 at 08:53 PM.

And dismantled the anchor winch. Turns out the manual says to do that 3 times a year. Ive actually never done it. Bad man. Releasing the clutch took a bit of work but everything else unscrewed and came apart like a new one. Nothing stuck, no stripped screw slots, no sheared bolts. No hidden Springs going sproing bounce splash. Just easy.

The bad news, there had to be some, is that a bunch of bubbles appeared in the last bit of deck we did. Some air bubbles, between the glass and the peel ply I think, and some look like solid raised epoxy. Oh well, I see some sanding in my future.

Last edited by Phil Y; 03-20-2019 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geftb View Post
    Jeez.. that's sad news about the father and son. Such experience too.
    Yep. Got a bit more info on that this morning. Apparently the dad's not been put in coma but the son has while they do all the surgery etc. that he needs. The story currently is that if you turn a petrol engine in a boat over and over trying to start it, vapour and fuel (or perhaps just vapour) builds up in the bilge (rather than dropping out onto the road in a car). Hence the explosion. And the fireball itself only lasted a second or so before extinguishing itself, so all the human damage was done in that instant. It's frightening.

Rick

Yep. Got a bit more info on that this morning. Apparently the dad's not been put in coma but the son has while they do all the surgery etc. that he needs. The story currently is that if you turn a petrol engine in a boat over and over trying to start it, vapour and fuel (or perhaps just vapour) builds up in the bilge (rather than dropping out onto the road in a car). Hence the explosion. And the fireball itself only lasted a second or so before extinguishing itself, so all the human damage was done in that instant. It's frightening.

Rick
    Having had a decent 2nd degree burn to one hand it is indeed.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

That's a bugger Phil...bet when you started you thought it was going to be a much smaller job?
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

At least it isnít between the plywood and the glass, Phil. That really would be annoying.

Awful news about the father and son. Lesson for us all. Fingers crossed for full recoveries for both.
    You can never have too many clamps

Would a carbon monoxide alarm worked in that situation?
    im not sure if it turns to carbon monoxide without burning it??

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    That's a bugger Phil...bet when you started you thought it was going to be a much smaller job?
    Always. I was hoping to remove the teak, replace the odd bit of ply and glass over it. Deep down I probably knew I'd be doing a new deck, which is why I've out it off for 8 years or so and brought the boat here to do it.

The bad news, there had to be some, is that a bunch of bubbles appeared in the last bit of deck we did. Some air bubbles, between the glass and the peel ply I think, and some look like solid raised epoxy. Oh well, I see some sanding in my future.

are you going over it with a squidgie (spelling) after its rolled?

I didn't use a roller at all in the end. Just a squeegee. Left it all nice and smooth. Was very happy with it when I left the boat.

I didn't use a roller at all in the end. Just a squeegee. Left it all nice and smooth. Was very happy with it when I left the boat.

so the areas you did roll came out ok? Maybe a roller is the go?

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

I don't know anything about peel ply so ignore this at your leisure, but wondering if maybe you're applying it too soon after epoxy?
    Maybe the epoxy should off gas a little more (and then perhaps another rolled on coat) and apply the peel while it is sticky, but not wet?
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Geftb View Post
    so the areas you did roll came out ok? Maybe a roller is the go?
    No. Didn't use a roller. Used a squeegee. I think it got too hot in the midday sun.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    I don't know anything about peel ply so ignore this at your leisure, but wondering if maybe you're applying it too soon after epoxy?
    Maybe the epoxy should off gas a little more (and then perhaps another rolled on coat) and apply the peel while it is sticky, but not wet?
    That's not what YouTube tells me. It needs to be able to float a bit to flatten out. The variable between success and less success seems to be the time of day. 30C direct sun not so good.

Last edited by Phil Y; 03-21-2019 at 02:24 AM.

I literally weighed anchor when I got home. 40kg. And the winch is 40 kg too.

No great drama with the deck bubbles. A few minutes with a sander will fix the lumps. And kiwigrip.

Are you going to use a primer between the glass and the Kiwigrip? I've only used it over a two-pack primer. I'm too lazy to go out to the shed and read the tin or look up the website. The website's pretty good though - maybe I'll look it up.

Rick

I think I saw somewhere that a primer is recommended, so yes I will.

Okay, they reckon you don't need primer over fibreglass. https://www.pyiinc.com/KiwiGrip/applyingkiwigrip.html

Rick
    Last edited by RFNK; 03-21-2019 at 03:05 AM.

I love this time of year. Days are still warm but not hot, mornings are just starting to crisp up, evenings are cooler, and we get wonderfully still mornings and evenings across the water. I like those calm grey autumn days but they're still a few weeks off.

Rick

Okay, they reckon you don't need primer over fibreglass. https://www.pyiinc.com/KiwiGrip/applyingkiwigrip.html

Rick
    Excellent. I guess no primer then. Can it go on smooth where I want it smooth? A margin around cabins and hatches and everything else? I'm already having nightmares about masking tape.

OK, I went to their website. Looks like the shiny bits have to be done first with something else. Probably a primer and some sort of 2 pack. Suggestions? Favourite flavours?

I love this time of year. Days are still warm but not hot, mornings are just starting to crisp up, evenings are cooler, and we get wonderfully still mornings and evenings across the water. I like those calm grey autumn days but they're still a few weeks off.

Rick
    This is the time of year for sailing in our part of the world. It's one of the reasons I dislike Christmas. One is kind of obliged to have the big annual holiday at Christmas time. And usually the weather is pretty awful for sailing. It takes a huge effort of will to do any significant cruise around now rather than trying over Christmas. Hopefully this time next year.....

Weeeeell ...., I used Awlgrip and I just love the stuff. Purely by chance, the Awlgrip colour I use is identical to a Kiwigrip colour. It's a light beige - I'll find the name of it and post it. There are other paints that are just as tough as Awlgrip and possibly not quite as expensive .... but I don't know what they are. Awlgrip has amazing coverage. A 1 litre kit would be more than enough for your trim, cockpit and cabinsides etc. It's tricky stuff to use but easy once shown how. For primer, I use Jotun Penguard. It's a two-pack epoxy high-build primer. I like it because it really is high-build and it's easy to sand to a very smooth finish.

Rick

Have you used norglass Rick? I'm thinking of using them.

Tricky to apply until shown how doesn't sound quite like my kind of paint! Although I'm open to a little tutoring.

I really like the company and many of their products but I've had no luck with their two-pack paints. I hate to say it but I really hate their two-pack primer, and I haven't been able to achieve a good finish with their two-pack poly finish coat. It could be just my technique.

I spoke to a painter who rolled another paint onto a big cat in December and that came up really well. I could find out the name of that paint but it'll take me a while to find out.

Rick