Page 1300 of 1369 FirstFirst ... 30080012001250129012991300130113101350 ... LastLast
Results 45,466 to 45,500 of 47911

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Actually the deck finish needs a bit of work but otherwise it's good, thanks. This is where I bought `bakelite sheet' recently. I'm very happy with the quality https://www.swiftsupplies.com.au/fabric-bakelite-sheet

I see you do have a biggish hole to fill. I suggest keeping the plate underneath as more of a cosmetic cover plate, loose fitting, so it can't hold moisture. Above, I'd be doing what you're doing but I'd prefer to use the more rubbery goop. But butyl will work. Just might get a bit messy with so much in there!

Rick

That's why I thought I'd use tape, squished into a blob. It's pretty much like Blu tac. I tried the selleys butyl mastic on a couple of my decklights. Didn't like it. It dries out in our climate. Everything dries out in our climate. You still don't think I'm serious when I say it won't rain until May. I am.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Okay, I thought the tape might dry out and go crumbly! Good to hear that it doesn't!

Rick

Well it maybe too early to say, but I hope not.

There is this one https://www.bostik.com/australia/Bos...ts/Bostik_5612

and you know there is a range of Sika marine sealants. They're not all the same.

I do understand how bloody frustrating your particular circumstances are there.

Rick

What thickness would you use of that tuffnol? I'm thinking 5 mm for my big plates.

That bostik looks good if it's as good as they claim. I don't like Sika. I E used various flavours in various applications and it's always failed. I had some fixtech on one shroud plate which is better than sika, but it had let go one side of the shroud plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    That's why I thought I'd use tape, squished into a blob. It's pretty much like Blu tac. I tried the selleys butyl mastic on a couple of my decklights. Didn't like it. It dries out in our climate. Everything dries out in our climate. You still don't think I'm serious when I say it won't rain until May. I am.

I agree Phil, and then maybe not much, Saturday's papers had predictions of a strong El Nino into winter caused by warm seas. Vic. Govt has just made a very large order of water from the Desal down our way. Add about $10 to the yearly bill. Our tanks are holding well but we'll likely buy some in next week. Down here it will come from an aquifer about 50M down. Perfect water, but we run a filter system anyhow.

What thickness would you use of that tuffnol? I'm thinking 5 mm for my big plates.

5mm is what I use.

Rick

Laying the Glass on dry deck is much easier than laying over a coat of wet epoxy. Going great guns this morning.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Looks great Phil, congratulations.
    The back is broken, yer on the homeward stretch now. (as long as your motor works........)
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

I'm not very proud of how I've fitted the deck around the shroud plates. The gap is deliberate, but could be tidier and better aligned as between the 2 layers. It's tricky to measure and fit due to the angle of the shroud plates, and fixed objects such as the cabin. Mostly I'm just a slob. Anyway my plan involves a support plate below and a compression plate above a large filling of goop, to allow plenty of room for the tiny bit of movement which seems to be inevitable. It's worked well where I've done repairs this way before. Yes Rick a source of tuffnol would be good.

Interesting problem hey.
    What did it used to look like?

I wonder if the top cover plate should be held on with goop too - not screwed, so it too can move those tiny fractions.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

I'm not very proud of how I've fitted the deck around the shroud plates. The gap is deliberate, but could be tidier and better aligned as between the 2 layers. It's tricky to measure and fit due to the angle of the shroud plates, and fixed objects such as the cabin. Mostly I'm just a slob. Anyway my plan involves a support plate below and a compression plate above a large filling of goop, to allow plenty of room for the tiny bit of movement which seems to be inevitable. It's worked well where I've done repairs this way before. Yes Rick a source of tuffnol would be good.

Thinking out loud.
    What if you make the hole a little bigger to allow room to get 3 wraps of butyl tape on the nice and tight then just fill the gap with thickened epoxy and glass over the lot of it? Once its all painted up to the chain plates put you choice of goop around that?
    looking a million bucks.

Anyone watching the Coast NZ show on SBS?
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

Phil, what about 3M 5200 bedding compound? E.g., here.
    You can never have too many clamps

Spot the boat builder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex1N View Post
    Phil, what about 3M 5200 bedding compound? E.g., here.
    Yeah I've never tried it. I don't know if it's any different/ better than Sika or fixtech. Good to kniwt you can get it here though. Thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Geftb View Post
    Thinking out loud.
    What if you make the hole a little bigger to allow room to get 3 wraps of butyl tape on the nice and tight then just fill the gap with thickened epoxy and glass over the lot of it? Once its all painted up to the chain plates put you choice of goop around that?
    looking a million bucks.
    Thanks. Actually wrapping would be really difficult. Angles are all wrong. I'm planning to just kludge it in there in an amorphous glob. I think it will work.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Interesting problem hey.
    What did it used to look like?

I wonder if the top cover plate should be held on with goop too - not screwed, so it too can move those tiny fractions.
    The original build was a beautiful tight fit, where there was still any evidence to be found. The worst rot was around the chain plates. I'd actually like to bolt the chain plates to the outside of the hull. That would get rid of 14 deck protrusions.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Looks great Phil, congratulations.
    The back is broken, yer on the homeward stretch now. (as long as your motor works........)
    Haven't started the motor in a while, but it should be fine. It's a thing of beauty.

The original build was a beautiful tight fit, where there was still any evidence to be found. The worst rot was around the chain plates. I'd actually like to bolt the chain plates to the outside of the hull. That would get rid of 14 deck protrusions.

That shouldn't be too hard to do and you could do it later. Patching up the holes in the deck will be easy.

By the way, sort of testing the Kiwi Grip in the rain yesterday, I decided I'd like a slightly more aggressive finish. That's achievable with the standard roller you buy with the Kiwi Grip so I'll try that soon and let you know how it seems.

Rick

Thanks, would be good to know.

I wouldn't use the 5200 on anything you want to remove. Ever. I'm pretty sure future archaeologists will find old galvanized cleats bonded to chunks of deck with 5200.

Great work Phil.
    Very light handed rolling with the special KiwiGrip roller will help determine the finish texture.
    Suggest removing the masking tape within about 30 minutes of applying the KiwiGrip . This will give a sharp edge to the margins

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    I wouldn't use the 5200 on anything you want to remove. Ever. I'm pretty sure future archaeologists will find old galvanized cleats bonded to chunks of deck with 5200.
    That is precisely why I’m using it to bed in the Sooty’s centreboard case. I thought that Phil’s situation was at least a little bit similar .

But I spose not if he is wanting to put the chainplates on the outside of the hull at some point in the future.

Alex.
    Last edited by Alex1N; 03-19-2019 at 11:46 PM.
    You can never have too many clamps

I think Phil should get some Fixtech, Sika 291, Buty tape, Butyl Mastic, Bostik stuff, 5200 and Ormonoid, stick it in the blender and then, when it's all nicely mixed, ram the whole lot in with the blunt end of a crowbar, and sail to Tasmania.

Rick

You left out "stand back 200 feet" before blending all that.

To update the incident at Lemon Tree a couple of days ago. Craig and his son were working on the petrol engine of an old GRP cruiser they've been given and are doing up to sell, I think. They also have a big, flash cruiser.The son's only about 12. Anyway, there must have been petrol and vapours below the engine and that ignited, severely burning both of them. They jumped into the water and others around helped them while waiting for the ambulance. Craig was coptered to Royal North Shore in Sydney where he's now in an induced coma. The son was coptered to Westmead Children's, also in Sydney, and he'll undergo surgery for burning to his airways. I'm guessing that's from gasping when the blast occurred. Each of them have burns to around 30-40% of their bodies, facial burns etc. There's no upside to this story, unfortunately. Craig's a shipwright, by the way, and is very experienced with engines etc.

A week or so ago, a guy was found dead on his boat at Lemon Tree, out on a mooring, and apparently had been there for a couple of weeks. On the same day, a guy was found dead in his car in the marina carpark, and another two locals were found dead in separate houses just last week. So Lemon Tree hasn't been quite the happy little backwater lately.

Rick

:-( Sad stories, all.

Horrific. Serious burns are the injury I fear most.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I think Phil should get some Fixtech, Sika 291, Buty tape, Butyl Mastic, Bostik stuff, 5200 and Ormonoid, stick it in the blender and then, when it's all nicely mixed, ram the whole lot in with the blunt end of a crowbar, and sail to Tasmania.

Rick
    Yeah, just a moment while I ask Felicity if it's OK to use the Thermomix for that.

I just thought of a worse injury. I think I won't ask, and won't use the Thermomix.

I'm considering 5200 one side and butyl tape the other.

Sounds like that'll hold the Thermomix together nicely.

For sale, suit handyman.
    AC94AB04-C8A9-4EF9-A266-288D2E1CB19A.jpg
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.