Page 1056 of 1056 FirstFirst ... 565569561006104610551056
Results 36,926 to 36,941 of 36941

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

They just started reduction burns round here and the heavens opened. 50mm and still drizzling on and off.

Too many portholes on that one Ian, you'd spend your day cleaning windows...........

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Did I say it has done the Tasman both ways (so far once each way) ??

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    I think he needs to ditch his broker.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    How far off shore does that cellular GPS work Tom ?
    I think Tom has GPS. I don't but had no trouble from Hobart to Adelaide.

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    I think he needs to ditch his broker.
    Fingers crossed he won't need one soon.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Fingers crossed he won't need one soon.
    Good luck Bruce.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

I'm sending my good thoughts your way, Bruce.

Thanks for the good wishes. I'm sending the same to the seller. He and I have a lot of things in common.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I think Tom has GPS. I don't but had no trouble from Hobart to Adelaide.
    You are correct Phil mine does have a GPS which means provided I have the Navonics Charts I am able to navigate Globaly without having to rely on paying for Data.
    However if I require additional Navonics info such as tide times I would require cellular data.

I have dongles , I have no dongles. dongles are for devices on the boat that stay on the boat. Devices that move around do not want them because they are a PIA. Do I need to translate that? PAIN. Further to that , the neverending cycle of charging stuff also becomes a PIA, so I suggest you listen to Rick. Cigarette chargers are still useful for the laptop but usb chargers are where its at man. 2.1 rocks.

make of this what you will...

Just get an ipad with cellular and don't put cellular on. You get gps that way.Hotspot off your phone if you want local internet on the boat. Get wifi at the cafe. I have done this 3 times today.
    Navionics , Isailor for the ENC or vector charts .Open cpn on the laptop for the raster charts.

Step after that. the iridium go . What a barsteward to set up but coupled with predictwind you get turbocharged gribs / isobaric/ weather information , email text and phone , and just maybe , if you spend an hour cursing at a computer like I just have , you'll get tracking so you don't have to run a sched.
    Last edited by John B; 04-29-2017 at 03:02 AM.

Thanks JB, you guys are a wealth of knowledge and experience.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I have dongles , I have no dongles. dongles are for devices on the boat that stay on the boat. Devices that move around do not want them because they are a PIA. Do I need to translate that? PAIN. Further to that , the neverending cycle of charging stuff also becomes a PIA, so I suggest you listen to Rick. Cigarette chargers are still useful for the laptop but usb chargers are where its at man. 2.1 rocks.

make of this what you will...

Just get an ipad with cellular and don't put cellular on. You get gps that way.Hotspot off your phone if you want local internet on the boat. Get wifi at the cafe. I have done this 3 times today.
    Navionics , Isailor for the ENC or vector charts .Open cpn on the laptop for the raster charts.

Step after that. the iridium go . What a barsteward to set up but coupled with predictwind you get turbocharged gribs / isobaric/ weather information , email text and phone , and just maybe , if you spend an hour cursing at a computer like I just have , you'll get tracking so you don't have to run a sched.
    Will you look at that! Hasn't even left for the islands yet and already he sounds like a techno hippie!

Rick

I have dongles man , had em for a year or so .The sat ph is new and so is the Vesper ais. Just saying that many people are using ipads and tablets as primary navigation now , and you don't want to be moving them around with them. That remote dongle might be great but another issue and trend is wireless hotspots on your boat from AIS and Iridium go ( if you get it ). That trend will continue over the next few years with more stuff going that way,so I would plan for it. To get a wireless connection you typically have to close a bluetooth connection, so therefore you'd be dropping off your gps each time you used one of the other.
    I only know this rubbish because I've just done most of it, ask me in 6 months I will have forgotten everything hopefully including the pain .

Hey guys, what was the password to get the ais to talk to the GPS again? Can you guys see the opening in the reef? SOMEONE GET ME THAT BLOODY PASSWORD NOW!!!!

Is it paranoia if they ARE out to get you? I'm getting paranoid about people who think I'm paranoid. If they are so concerned about my health they should come and stand in my driveway with me and give stink-eye looks to the regular strangers doing walk-bys pretending to be on the phone and pointedly ignoring me. We haven't ever had this number of walk-by strangers in this quiet street in 25 years. All male, all fit, all around 35, all with a phone glued to their head.

Paperback E-book

Very disturbing Bruce, what is the official position on this, if any?

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Very disturbing Bruce, what is the official position on this, if any?
    Officially I'm a target on a hit list. Health wise the doctor has upped the dose on my medication. Unofficially I'm not really coping sitting here thinking about the hit list, and hopefully I'm going to sea for a while, as soon as I can buy a seawothy boat, like the Cheoy Lee in Southport.

Paperback E-book