Page 1268 of 1268 FirstFirst ... 26876811681218125812671268
Results 44,346 to 44,367 of 44367

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by MattSplatt View Post
    Pixie's mast was really weathered, what varnish remained was blackened and horrible.
    I was told... ;-) to strip it to good timber with my jack plane, which I doubted, but it turned out to be really easy, quite pleasant work. The whole mast took maybe an hour and a half. Then machine sanded with the big ROS on high speed with 80# astra discs, followed by the same treatment with 180# astra discs. The machine stage took about an hour total. the result is really lovely. The power sanding was done at high speed, but lightly, and always working in long spirals around the spar. The mast has a square length, so I turned it to each of four 'faces' and worked mostly on the top, but always spiralling up onto the top and down the other side with each full-arm-reach pass along the spar.

The hand planing was going straight along. The plane is great because it goes straight and basically can't make gouges (with caveat, below). With a scraper it's too easy to dig in.

Your plane has to be sharp. Properly. Stop every five minutes and freshen it up because the varnish will punish it.

Is it solid oregon? Watch for patches of reversing grain, and be very careful, as the plane can tear bits out if it's not really really sharp. I got into that trouble with Pixie's mast, and would probably have been better to do a couple of small patches with a block plane, but didn't know at the time.
    Thanks Matt for all the tips so the jack plane sounds like the ticket. Mine has the same square bottom section complete with holes already drilled for the proposed tabernacle so it will same procedure as yours.
    The mast is probably not anywhere as bad as what Pixie’s was, come to think of it some of those old timers used linseed oil which turns everything black.
    You did a great job on that mast of yours.

I did try the small 4” orbital with 80 grit but was not happy with the slow speed and results, henceforth the question.

Yep. The plane does all the real work. Sander just smooths it out, and even then a powerful sander is a great help.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Radiation of my brain again today, not my favorite pass time .
    Argh. I hope it goes as well as it can and doesn't knock you around too much, Peter.

What are you trying to remove, Tom? Is it just varnish or is it lumps and bumps?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by MattSplatt View Post
    Argh. I hope it goes as well as it can and doesn't knock you around too much, Peter.
    My biggest risk according to the rather beautiful radiation oncologist is the the tumors are beside my optic nerves ..... so I may go blind if the radiation fries them.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Good luck, Peter!!

I guess you must look all you can at the beautiful radiation oncologist while you can, just in case. :-)
    Good luck!

Good luck Peter!!

Rick

Good luck Peter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Here's hoping you see her again. Good luck.

I probably shouldn't have mentioned that but her appearance is remarkable.

Thanks for the wishes.
    Grateful Dead

When I was sick in Cairns there was this speech therapist, whose role was to ensure that I could swallow properly before I was allowed solid food, having had a tube down my throat for 10 days or so. She was about the most beautiful young woman I have ever seen, but she was actually the Devil in disguise. First she made me eat or drink, I'm not sure which, something called thickened water. I can't describe it. But it's awful. Then she made me chew and swallow dry Anzac biscuits. While my throat was still tender, to say the least. But I won, and was allowed real food. I was happy never to see her again, gorgeous as she was.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    What are you trying to remove, Tom? Is it just varnish or is it lumps and bumps?

Rick
    The mast is weathered with only minimal amount of varnish left which I will scrape of. In its very dry stored enviroment it was then exposed to several days of heavy rains which did not help it’s condition.
    I need to get down to clear wood in order to properly varnish the spar.

Peter Our best wishes are with you today Good Luck.

Well the water tanks are full and Iíll check the dam today but I reckon it will have more than enough to get the waterline flowing again. Creek is flowing well and it looks like itís going to rain till next Monday. Yay, he said flatly.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

There's probably a simple and logical explanation for this, but why is the top - say above the hounds - of a wooden mast typically painted white? Reduce impact of weathering? Hide the seagull poop??
    The weathering answer seems the most plausible, but the rest of the mast cops just as much sun.

White lead paint was the best for protecting the end grains of a mast and also made the vessel more visible, for example rounding a breakwater while coming into a harbour at night,or gauging distance when coming alongside a larger vessel at night.

Pirates painted their mast heads black.?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
    There's probably a simple and logical explanation for this, but why is the top - say above the hounds - of a wooden mast typically painted white? Reduce impact of weathering? Hide the seagull poop??
    The weathering answer seems the most plausible, but the rest of the mast cops just as much sun.
    Yeah but the top is much closer. Its shocking up there, the damage the sun does.

Actually Id think its about the gaff jaws and mast hoops damaging paint below the hounds, so you'd just oil that section. Above the hounds paint is much better protection.

OK, 2 out of 3 answers make sense. but extra proximity to the sun doesnt do it for me ;-)

I knew a bloke once who used Vaseline on his mast, an American boat called Zulu featured in WB. Strip planked, a beamy ketch .
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I knew a bloke once who used Vaseline on his mast, an American boat called Zulu featured in WB. Strip planked, a beamy ketch .

My dad uses a bit of tallow. But the mast is varnished. The tallow lubricates the jaws and keeps the leather supple.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
    OK, 2 out of 3 answers make sense. but extra proximity to the sun doesnt do it for me ;-)

Thanks be to God my masts are painted all the way. We have daylight saving here. Horrendous.