Page 1127 of 1127 FirstFirst ... 12762710271077111711261127
Results 39,411 to 39,422 of 39422

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

I saw an 18'er break a mast after it's daggerboard dug in.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Did severe damage to my jolly boat doing just that. Sailing at speed in unknown water, two of us were out on trapeze at the time.

Saw a nice 55 ft Beneteau sense with a foil shaped cookie cutter profiled crack in its bottom after doing that.
    Pushed all its eggcrate pitiful excuse for structural floors out of the way to do it too.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Saw a nice 55 ft Beneteau sense with a foil shaped cookie cutter profiled crack in its bottom after doing that.
    Pushed all its eggcrate pitiful excuse for structural floors out of the way to do it too.
    Interesting some of those problems have been around for about 40 years now on a verity of fiber glass yachts.

While in Hawai I missed out on a delivery of a Swan 57 which returned after a week out , with a broken main bulkhead and associated keel problems.

The sport governing body ISAF recently documented a database of 72 keel failures since 1984 resulting in 24 lives lost.

The reasons for these incidents are varied and may be anything from large yachts being pushed excessively, which I am only to familiar with.
    Then there is inadequate engineering and the cutting of materials and corners by builders ,and in some cases heavy groundings with poor repair practises and the lack of adequate maintenance by owners.

Code two call out today and I'd just mixed up some two primer to do the port side deck!
    A paddle boarder had gone missing off Fingal Head in rough seas. By the time we got out there there were about six rubber duckies and jetskis searching. We started a parallel search running from Fingle Head north to the pumpout jetty. I was starboard lookout one the back deck. We didn't find him but he was found unconscious on the beach, so it looks like he may have survived.

20171022_125100.jpg

20171022_125127.jpg

20171022_132830.jpg

20171022_133821.jpg
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

http://www.9news.com.au/national/201...gal-head-rocks
    You can see me on the back deck wearing a bloody awful SOLAS PFD. Most of our inflatables are off being tested.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Another VMR story in the news today, this time with a more positive outcome.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-2...safety/9074300
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Interesting some of those problems have been around for about 40 years now on a verity of fiber glass yachts.

While in Hawai I missed out on a delivery of a Swan 57 which returned after a week out , with a broken main bulkhead and associated keel problems.

The sport governing body ISAF recently documented a database of 72 keel failures since 1984 resulting in 24 lives lost.

The reasons for these incidents are varied and may be anything from large yachts being pushed excessively, which I am only to familiar with.
    Then there is inadequate engineering and the cutting of materials and corners by builders ,and in some cases heavy groundings with poor repair practises and the lack of adequate maintenance by owners.
    I was chatting with a retired boat builder a few months back. He had some horror stories of owners of boats being built by the firm he worked for, changing specs to either lighten the boat or save money, frequently in critical areas like keel attachment. This was for boats doing serious offshore racing, like Sydney Hobart. He left the firm.

Off to Balhannah to turn trees into timber today. I’ll report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bottom photo is a big butt, how old did you say that tree is Phil? 30 years ?
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Another VMR story in the news today, this time with a more positive outcome.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-2...safety/9074300
    I like the good results, the bloke we were looking for died.

John Welsford

A nice looking recent build for sale on Gumtree. Apart from the asking price, the photos show that a lot of care and passion has been put into its construction. No connection, no interest etc etc...
    https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/naro...oat/1163049422

I particularly like the arm-chairs. A nice touch.

Attached Images Attached Images