Page 1311 of 1315 FirstFirst ... 311811121112611301131013111312 ... LastLast
Results 45,851 to 45,885 of 46017

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Then I got stuck into the aft deck while Bruce acted as foredeck hand for a bit, stripping some teak and the top layer of ply off up there. Apart from a manky bit at the corner of the forehatch things don't look do bad up there.
    I got the starboard mizzen shrouds back on which is nice. Can't count on the Southerly blowing forever.
    Perfect day today, a bit of cloud this morning, now fine and still and I'd say around 23C. Poifect.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

This is an epic task to be doing at the dock! You two are doing really well.

easier to do on a decent floating dock than on the hard....YMMV
    Xanthorrea

I'd hate to do it on the hard. The number of times I've jumped on and off. It's a 3 foot jump at the dock vs a 20 foot ladder climb on the hard.

True. I was thinking about falling overboard, or not being able to stand next to what you're doing.
    But you can stand next to one side of course, and turn the boat around, and falling overboard a few metres onto a gravel yard is worse than falling in the drink.

And a quick swim off the dock before the one hour drive home is a bonus too. My only real fear is dropping a 240v cord in the water, but so far so good.

Does the marina not have RCDs on all the power connections?

All it does is throw the breaker and wreck the female end if the lead, unless you dismantle the lead straight away. I've done it twice so far.

Rick
    Last edited by RFNK; 02-10-2019 at 03:31 AM.

Private berth. Extension cord from the house. Which would have an RCD. But I'd rather not test it.

Suzanne has a significant birthday in September, and we have a Sydney to Melbourne road trip planned. The credit card abuse began today, getting in early on the airfares.
    We have about three nights at each end, and two weeks in between in a motorhome - obviously we'll be taking the scenic route.
    I'm inclined to go gunkholing along the coastal road, but no doubt we'll head inland at some point in search of a mountain ;-)
    Should Canberra also be on the list of things to do before we die, or are we better off piloting our road maggot some other places?

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Private berth. Extension cord from the house. Which would have an RCD. But I'd rather not test it.
    Get an extension lead with a safety switch in it.

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    Suzanne has a significant birthday in September, and we have a Sydney to Melbourne road trip planned. The credit card abuse began today, getting in early on the airfares.
    We have about three nights at each end, and two weeks in between in a motorhome - obviously we'll be taking the scenic route.
    I'm inclined to go gunkholing along the coastal road, but no doubt we'll head inland at some point in search of a mountain ;-)
    Should Canberra also be on the list of things to do before we die, or are we better off piloting our road maggot some other places?

Pete
    Canberra's pretty dull unless you are enraptured with galleries and museums. Since you only have two weeks on the road, skip Canberra.
    Two weeks is barely enough to have a look at all the good spots on the coast road Sydney -> Melbourne.

Quote Originally Posted by MattSplatt View Post
    Canberra's pretty dull unless you are enraptured with galleries and museums. Since you only have two weeks on the road, skip Canberra.
    Two weeks is barely enough to have a look at all the good spots on the coast road Sydney -> Melbourne.
    Care to enlighten me on good spots of particular note . In theory the camper should be self-contained, but I need to get a handle on paid and freedom camping options over that way. We mostly pay our way over here, even though the caravan is all set up and certified.
    Freedom camping is becoming a bit of a hot button issue over here, with some places literally becoming covered in chit .

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

We are nowhere near as well set up as NZ for free camping, particularly on the coast. Tasmania is very good. And of course the outback if you like the outback. Be prepared to pay significant bucks to park in a car park with a shower block. It will have a sign saying Caravan Park.

Care to enlighten me on good spots of particular note . In theory the camper should be self-contained, but I need to get a handle on paid and freedom camping options over that way. We mostly pay our way over here, even though the caravan is all set up and certified.
    Freedom camping is becoming a bit of a hot button issue over here, with some places literally becoming covered in chit .

Pete
    According to Google, "freedom camping" in the NZ means camping in public places rather than official campgrounds. I don't know that it's really a thing here in the strict sense of camping just wherever on public land. There are free Rest Areas on the highways where you can camp, but competition is *very* fierce among the grey nomads for a spot at the good rest areas, as in get up at 4am and drive a couple of hours to the next rest area so you get a good spot. I'm not in that scene, so you'd have to do some searches for free camping in Australia. Some of the free camping directories have phone apps etc, so you can use them as a planning and navigation tool.

As for spots on the coast... Ouch, it's a really long list. Some picks would have to be; Green Patch in Booderee National Park, Narooma (the 'Big 4' on the inlet), the park on Aslings Beach in Eden, Quarantine Bay in Eden, lots of places on Twofold Bay really. I haven't camped from Eden around to Lakes Entrance, but I know there are places in those National Parks where you can have near total isolation if you want it. If you're looking for a mountain (not that we have many), from Lakes Entrance it's an easy (slow, in a motorhome) side trip inland to Bright, which takes you across the Victorian alps. You can go inland to Melbourne from there or back to the coast. I'd do the latter and visit Wilsons Promontory just 'cause it's on Bass Strait.

Edit: Specific places I've mentioned are non-free, some of them alarmingly so. Scour the free camping directories for that route, though, and you'll come up with some good spots.
    Last edited by MattSplatt; 02-10-2019 at 03:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MattSplatt View Post
    This is an epic task to be doing at the dock! You two are doing really well.

Phil's doing very well at it. I've come late to the party and I'm not up to his skill or speed. It's great to have boat company and Phil hasn't yet told me to buggeroff so it's all good.

I can watch people work all day if I get an opportunity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

We are nowhere near as well set up as NZ for free camping, particularly on the coast. Tasmania is very good. And of course the outback if you like the outback. Be prepared to pay significant bucks to park in a car park with a shower block. It will have a sign saying Caravan Park.

Showgrounds are traditional camping areas in Australia, worth checking out.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Pete, you might also add Durras Nth and Pebbley Beach to your coastal list. Pigeon House is a nice walk - probably go from Bateman's Bay. There are nice places to explore around Jervis Bay too. I'd skip Canberra.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Showgrounds are traditional camping areas in Australia, worth checking out.
    You can check out but you can never leave.
    Heard that somewhere.

Just a final shot for the day of the aft deck totally removed. Except for a chunky bit aft of where the aft hatch was. I rebuilt that bit a few years ago. It's heavily reinforced underneath as a Sampson post goes there.

I'm probably going to mess up really badly soon as I'm feeling confident enough to have a plan for the week ahead rather than just lets see how each day goes. Wednesday is supposed to be rainy, but otherwise all good. So tomorrow tidy up the deck beams, transom and sheer plank aft, and cut the bottom layer of ply for that section. Maybe even glue it down. And tidy up the newly stripped area forward, and possibly cut ply for that. Theres a messy bit there at the back corner of the forehatch which will be fiddly. Tuesday do the things I didn't get to Monday, and cut the top layer of ply aft. Wednesday cut grass at home. Thursday do the things I didn't do Monday or Tuesday. Friday fibreglass.

Last edited by Phil Y; 02-10-2019 at 04:49 AM.

Superb!

Does anyone know where i can get a spiral cutter for a dewalt thicknesser for less than $800 in Australia?
    Amazon has them for 400 in the US. (they wont post to aus) here I cannot find anything under $1200.
    My brother lives in the states. Maybe I can post it to him and he can shout me postage to Aus. I'll buy him a beer next time I see him.

Or there are forwarding services for exactly that situation.

Oh and I need to trim the edges flush with the topsides too.

Pete
    its a bit of a drive in but Ben Boyd Nat Park on Green Cape just passed Eden; Bitangabie or Saltwater Creek
    If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question

Good morning and goodbye Hobart

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question

Oh and I need to trim the edges flush with the topsides too.

Router with edge trimmer? I cut back close with a jigsaw and finished with the router.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Router with edge trimmer? I cut back close with a jigsaw and finished with the router.
    With the slope of the deck, and the tumblehome on most of the topsides that won't work. Probably a reciprocating saw followed by belt sander.

You can make a simple jig with a piece of flat sheet, like perspex or even plywood screwed to a block of wood with s bevelled edge. Use either a straight bit or a bearing bit. Get it close with the sabre saw then finish with the router. Then round off the edge with the router.

Rick

Thanks Rick but not sure I understand. I bought that edge trimmer thing but haven't really found a use for it yet other than letting in hinges on a door at home. The angle between deck and topside varies and is mostly more than 90 degrees, except forward where it's less.

Use as fine a blade as you can on the saber saw or it may be inclined to grab and tear a laminate. I would prefer the jig saw for that. Then disc sand it.

But this looks a lot like progress. Just temporarily screwed. Glue tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Geftb View Post
    Use as fine a blade as you can on the saber saw or it may be inclined to grab and tear a laminate. I would prefer the jig saw for that. Then disc sand it.
    Yeah but, crazy tumblehome. I think a jig saw would struggle. I guess I could adjust the base every 50 cm.

Default Antipodean Boats Connection

But this looks a lot like progress. Just temporarily screwed. Glue tomorrow.

Excellent!

As for the rolling bevel edge, I'd be looking at getting it within a close margin with any sharp blade you are comfortable with then running an electric planer along it freehanding the bevel, then belt sanding it in. How far over the edge is the glass going to wrap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

And a bit of foredeck work.

I don't get on well with electric planes.

I reckon I'm pretty much on schedule so far.